Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2010, 18:49   #766
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Spot On.

Id rate this place, to be serving amongst the best, home style, Veg. Punjabi food i have eaten outside a home.
Is there any good Mumbai restaurant where our resident foodie hasn't been to?
Old 8th February 2010, 19:38   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Pritam Da Dhaba ?
Old 8th February 2010, 20:21   #768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
When I was working in Taj Mumbai, I used to make it a point to visit Olympia Irani restaurant (opposite Leopold Cafe) atleast 3 times a week. I thought the Non-veg food there was very good.
Anyone felt the same?
Olympia is still the same. Good in a spartan kind of way. Whatever you order, there is one kind of gravy, be it veggies, or meats or even an egg curry, so in the end everything on your plate tastes the same. Still, quite standard fare. Someone told me the biryani was excellent in this place...i tried it once.....HATED it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Pritam Da Dhaba ?
Old 13th February 2010, 01:17   #769
BHPian

Ivy, Tosa and Wagh bakri tea lounge

Hi,
Just posted my introduction thread and here I am wanting to talk about something I like as much as automobiles.
I see that nobody has written about three places I visited recently. Now I'm not a food critic and will write what my taste buds told me.

IVY, Worli:

Visited on a thursday night with 3 friends and I had to wait to get a table. Now, I'm not a wine person but enjoyed my time getting drunk there! The starters were 'very Ok' with the bruschetta and cheesy garlic bread having a half-melted coating of what looked like Amul Cheese! The potato wedges were served with a nice tangy dip and by the time we called for the Ceaser's Salad, we were too drunk to rate it!
The tab came to around 4K for 5 bottles of wine(Rose White Zinfendel & Raging Bull Red) and the starters mentioned.

Tosa, Vile Parle(E):

This place is close to the station and is run by Trupti Caterers (not sure if they are famous in Bombay). Visited for lunch with 3 friends since we were in the vicinity.
Started with a Tomato Soup for one of my friend & Masala Chhas for me. Also called for Usal Pav to start with. The tomato soup was sweet, very gujju (I'm a gujju myself) while the masala chhas and Usal were just like they should be.
I called for 'Baigan no olo with Bajra roti' & a friend called for 'Dal Bati Churma with Gata' and both were pretty decent. Also called for the 'thandai' which should have been thicker and spicier. They also had a 'Fasting menu', for MahaShivratri.
The portions are huge and fairly priced. Would go there again only if I'm in the area sometime.

Wagh Bakri Tea Lounge, Vile parle(E):

One of the few Tea lounges in Mumbai.
The menu is reasonably priced and they serve 2 cups with every pot. I do not like to add anything to my tea so called for a simple 'Good Morning tea' which was pretty decent. Not very strong with a nice aroma.
The ladies shared a pot of 'Pudina/Mint Chai' which they liked.
We also called for the 'Vanilla Muffin' but surprisingly we couldn't taste any Vanilla in the muffin!
I would like to add that the service is good. The guy actually got half a pot of Pudina Chai extra for the lady since he couldn't completely fill the second cup when he was pouring it!
The tab came to Rs 145. Recommended for Chai lovers!!

Cheers,

Abhishek

P.S: My first post after the introduction. Hope I haven't broken any posting rules.
Old 13th February 2010, 15:35   #770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi.m View Post
Hi,
IVY, Worli:
....by the time we called for the Ceaser's Salad, we were too drunk to rate it!

......Wagh Bakri Tea Lounge, Vile parle(E):

One of the few Tea lounges in Mumbai.
IVY at Worli (right next to the Audi showroom....now you know where) is a great place for wine lovers serving decent food. I visit it quite often for really reasonably priced good quality wine and the foods not bad too.
I usually have the Caeser's salad almost everywhere so out of habit i ordered it here too and it was not bad.
The funny ting is that they are a wine bar serving no other alcoholic drink but they dont serve a cheese platter or even any kind of cheese? Whats wine without cheese and crackers?

I also out of curiosity walked into the Waghbakri tea lounge at Vile parle, diagonally opp to Gajali Rewstaurant. Haven't eaten or drank there but the ambiance was good, people seemed to enjoy their tea (i wouldn't know the difference between good or bad tea/coffee as i dont usually drink these beverages). Most of the patrons were having some kind of dessertish looking, cakey thing (it was almost eaten to be recognized), im guessing it was the remnants of some kind of muffin. Must try it out.

Having said that i would like to mention the places, where i have been, which serve a good Caesar's salad. Not going into authenticity here, just taste wise.

The Tasting Room (Good Earth cafe at Raghuvanshi Mills)

Also one of my favourite places to eat. The Caesar's salad here is great. Also the Watermelon and Feta Salad served with Aragula and pine nuts is a winner. I can have two of these for lunch/dinner and go home a happy and non guilty man.
Try theis non alcoholic drinks (mocktails if you please) Watermelon Caipiroshka and a spicy Guava drink...just awesome. Tehy also serve great sandwitches at certain hours in different breads, very good, go for the Bagel with cream cheese.

Wood side Inn - opp Regal Colaba.
Serves a good Ceaser's Salad and other salads too are good here. Good Burgers outside of the Hard Rock Cafe (the best)

Trattoria - Hotel President Cuffe Parade. Also one of the best pastas one can eat. The best pasta sauce would be the brown sauce with red wine.

Absolute no nos for Caesar's Salad:

Olive
Indigo Deli (Y-U-C-K, smelly Caesar's Salad)

Went the other day to Bonobo in Bandra, in the Kentucky Fried lane, opp Global Fusion. Same building as KFC. Half open air, half air conditioned.

Spanking place with great food but not do great service. Maybe their bad day. The food was not expensive (im surprised) and the quality was top notch. The Caesar's Salad here was good too.
Try their stir fried Chorizo
Reminded me of Goan sausage chilly fry but with a continental touch. Recommended.

Another place with great ambiance is the Escobar, situated above V.N. Jewellers at linking rd. Although the place is more of a lounge/bar kinds, i loved the food there. Nice thin Pizza and my friend had a very interesting Paneer Tikka in some continental marinade. Like Bonobo, half open half covered.

These places are great to go to in this weather, what about the heat and the rains.....????

Last edited by V-16 : 13th February 2010 at 15:38. Reason: adding.
Old 13th February 2010, 17:17   #771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another place with great ambiance is the Escobar, situated above V.N. Jewellers at linking rd. Although the place is more of a lounge/bar kinds, i loved the food there. Nice thin Pizza and my friend had a very interesting Paneer Tikka in some continental marinade. Like Bonobo, half open half covered.

I've had the pizzas and paneer tikkas as well as some chicken breast and risotto. It's really good. It turns into a nightclub over the weekends and it's one of the few that back you up with good food.

Quote:
These places are great to go to in this weather, what about the heat and the rains.....????
Imagine what will happen to Aer. And they deserve it.. for charging 1250 bucks for a peg of vodka, the criminals!
Old 14th February 2010, 00:52   #772
BHPian

@V-16

The Tasting Room:
My girlfriend used to work in the Raghuvanshi Compound for a couple of years. Surprisingly, never told me about the place. Will definitely try.

Woodside Inn:
Heard a lot about the place.
Unfortunately, all that my friends wanna do is go out and get drunk! No dining plans with them. The MBA side-effect i guess!!

So when in town, Tavern or Mondegar it is.

Bonobo:
Been to Bonobo couple of times but never go around ordering food. Never got beyond the cocktail pitchers!

Mumbai Times Cafe:
Been there a lot. I like their Pizza. Thin crust & slightly crispy. They make decent pasta too.
Also, called for the veggie tandori platter. The paneer tikka just melts in the mouth.
Both Bonobo & MTC have terrible service.

Now, one of the reason I'm taking to salads is that all the alcohol and junk is showing on my waistline.
And speaking of salads, I just love the salad buffet at Just Around The Corner, Off Waterfield Road, Bandra. Its obviously because of the dollops of dressing i use. Can have it for two straight meals.

P.S: The dhaba@Pritam was a hangout for a the last 2 years(Welingkar days) along with Durga & Trilok. A few kilos added here & there!!
Old 15th February 2010, 11:23   #773
BHPian

Gajalee In Vile Parle

How is the ambience in Gajalee in Vile Parle?

Is it good/safe enough to take a American family who want to experience seafood. They are in the BKC area hence looking for places in that region

Thanks!
Old 15th February 2010, 11:35   #774
Senior - BHPian

Genesis,

yup you can take them to Gajalee at Vile Parle but for a more up market ambience take them to Gajalee at Phoenix (is it still open ?)
Old 15th February 2010, 11:57   #775
Distinguished - BHPian

Samosa Sandwich:

What: normal sandwich within a couple of layers of bread and then a crushed samosa added on top and covered with another slice of bread.

Where: Outside heera panna (near entrance of car park)

Time: After 4:30pm

Awesome taste; maybe the dollops of butter adds to it. The samosas get over pretty soon (by 7pm).

There is no place to park or even halt nearby so plan accordingly.

A must try, just love it.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 15th February 2010 at 11:58. Reason: typo
Old 15th February 2010, 12:24   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Samosa Sandwich:

What: normal sandwich within a couple of layers of bread and then a crushed samosa added on top and covered with another slice of bread.

Where: Outside heera panna (near entrance of car park)

Time: After 4:30pm

Awesome taste; maybe the dollops of butter adds to it. The samosas get over pretty soon (by 7pm).

There is no place to park or even halt nearby so plan accordingly.

A must try, just love it.
Isnt he the same Sandwichwala who sits at Lala lajpatrai college in the mornings and shifts to heera panna at as you said 4.00pm?
I've eaten at the lala person a couple of times and Yes the Samosa sandwich is Great, its a meal by itself! I wonder if Vada-Pav can become so Famous why not Samosa sandwich/pav?
Old 15th February 2010, 12:32   #777
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Isnt he the same Sandwichwala who sits at Lala lajpatrai college in the mornings and shifts to heera panna at as you said 4.00pm?
I've eaten at the lala person a couple of times and Yes the Samosa sandwich is Great, its a meal by itself! I wonder if Vada-Pav can become so Famous why not Samosa sandwich/pav?
I have no idea if he is the same person. I've never eaten outside Lala's. Maybe, next time you are driving by you can see if he's the same guy. He stands just after the heera panna building gate.
I also wondered why the samosa sandwich concept didn't pick up. Though i've seen samosa pavs selling side by side with wada pav. I guess, it's about having less inventory and a quciker turn around time.

Also, if anyone wants great "golden bhel" go up carmichael road and eat at the bhelwalla outside smoking joes. He comes after 5pm and is there till 9:30pm.
There was another guy outside Sun restaurant at breach candy, however, his stuff has started deteriorating slowly.
Old 15th February 2010, 14:30   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Samosa Sandwich:
Talking of samosa, sandwiches, I am sure the ex Don Bosco Matunga alumni (there seem to be a fair sprinkling around) would remember the legendary Homi's samosa pav served outside Khalsa College.

Well apparently Homi still exists and even has a review on the internet. Need to try him out again after a quarter of a decade.

Outside Trinity High School, Near Matalaxmi Hospital , Sion (E), Mumbai

Road food - Review of Homi Samosa's, Sion East, Mumbai, Road-side Stalls on burrp! Mumbai

ps: I love the location descriptions: Outside the entrance, opposite the wall, under the tree
Old 15th February 2010, 15:35   #779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Talking of samosa, sandwiches, I am sure the ex Don Bosco Matunga alumni (there seem to be a fair sprinkling around) would remember the legendary Homi's samosa pav served outside Khalsa College.
Totally! Homi ruled! Awesome samosa ragda, and he used to source some fantastic paav too. The other khadoos buddha next to him sucked bigtime.
Old 15th February 2010, 15:39   #780
Senior - BHPian

Now that we are onto Homi's which Boscoite hasnt had the Masala Pav at Classic Fast Food right opposite school . I used to devour 5 myself on my way home. By far the best Masala Pav I have eaten. They used to be 3 bucks a piece in those days

Most Viewed