Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2010, 15:54   #781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Now that we are onto Homi's which Boscoite hasnt had the Masala Pav at Classic Fast Food right opposite school . I used to devour 5 myself on my way home. By far the best Masala Pav I have eaten. They used to be 3 bucks a piece in those days
I still eat at Classic when I am passing by that area at night. . Still good but no masala pav for Rs 3 anymore.

Talking about Don Bosco food trivia:

There used to be a ice-cream place called Dimple next to classic which shut down.
I later find out that the Dimple in Edison, New Jersey where I ate a few times is owned by the same person who had migrated to the US
Old 15th February 2010, 16:06   #782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
I still eat at Classic when I am passing by that area at night. . Still good but no masala pav for Rs 3 anymore.

Talking about Don Bosco food trivia:

There used to be a ice-cream place called Dimple next to classic which shut down.
I later find out that the Dimple in Edison, New Jersey where I ate a few times is owned by the same person who had migrated to the US
Yes of course I remember Dimple Ice Cream. Had a lot over there. A Pav Bhaji lunch at Classic was a regular when there was no dabba. The quickest dish to be served. Just right for lunch break.
Old 15th February 2010, 19:13   #783
Senior - BHPian

Speaking of central mumbai, try out:
1) Shree Sunders Mahabhoj - South Indian Thali.
2) A. Ramanayak - South Indian Thali. (the best ive eaten)
3) Mani's - Idli Chutney and Sambar.
4) Classic - Pav Bhaji.
5) Vada Pao outside dadar east post office.
6) Butter chicken at Great Punjab.
7) Karari roti at Pritam. Delicious.
8) Mysore masala dosa outside St. Pauls school, parel.
9) Bum maska at Koolar, Kings circle.

Bad at writing reviews, so pls excuse me on that front.
Old 15th February 2010, 19:18   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine View Post
Speaking of central mumbai, try out:
Are you quite sure about the last one? (Sorry could not resist )
Old 15th February 2010, 23:39   #785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you quite sure about the last one? (Sorry could not resist )
Oops, my bad. Need to recheck thier menu though. ;-)
Old 15th February 2010, 23:51   #786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
which Boscoite hasnt had the Masala Pav at Classic Fast Food right opposite school . I used to devour 5 myself on my way home. By far the best Masala Pav I have eaten. They used to be 3 bucks a piece in those days
Unfortunately Dippy, that Masala Pav is no longer the same. I went around recently and ordered it, and was very disappointed.
Old 16th February 2010, 00:10   #787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Thanks Manasi.

Guys heres a little secret for the veggie burgers, the veg. patty.

Hop by to the nearest supermarket and get a pack of Mcainn's frozen Veg burgers. Heat Oil and deep fry for at least 2 mins in medium heat.

Take a fresh burger bun from any bakery (avoid using the high ones, get the flatter type) and slice into half (lengthwise)

Line the bottom half with veg mayo and chopped iceberg lettuce. Another choice is Aragula or rocket leaves touched with a drop or two of balsamic vinegar and olive oil (not too much, just a drop or two of each) and spinkle a little feta cheese on this

Put the veg patty on that

Another teaspoon of veg mayo

Assemble and eat!! Bon Appetite.

Optional add ons:

Caramelized onion slices ( very simple, heat a touch of olive oil/butter in a pan, drop in a pinch or two of sugar and throw in the onions till they are nice and brown.) These you may dd on the patty

Cheese slice (replace feta cheese by any readily available cheese slices but please not Amul.

Grainy Mustard: Available easily in all supermarkets. Get a teaspoon out and add a few drops of honey to it. This can be put on the bun

Im loving it already. The patty is crisp and simply delicious. Dont go adding useless stuff in a burger like raw sliced onions or tomato slices. Will only mush up your burger.

Lets call it the McGogi Garden Burger!!

Enjoy..Bon Appetite.
tussi god ho Gogi ji, i've had to turn veggie under unforseen circumstances,

this is the best burger combo tried, apart from the one i ate years ago at "Open House" which used to be owned by the Talwars, and was next to Asiatic.

Wow burgers, wow mayo.

Thanks once again.
Old 19th February 2010, 14:21   #788
Distinguished - BHPian

I've heard that Trat's is shutting down.... Is this true???

Save Trattoria, Taj President from changing into fine dining | Facebook
Old 19th February 2010, 17:18   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine View Post

That reeks of cannibalism
Old 21st February 2010, 17:01   #790
Senior - BHPian

Asia7 & and Punjab Grill Attended a small do and got a chance to try out the food at both these places. Located right next to each other at Palladium, Phoenix Mills, Lower Parel on the 3rd floor, Asia 7 is an East Asian food restaurant while Punjab Grill is North Indian speciality. I ate more at Punjab Grill - Chicken Tikka, Bhatti da Murg, some huge prawns, an assortment of veg tandoori items, and a very nice little dessert served in a shot glass that comprised of a gulab jamun at the bottom topped up with chocolate. I NEVER eat desserts, but this was irresistible. So was the food. After this, we moved over to Asia7 and dug into some really fine lobster (big guy). No clue on pricing, but I would expect it to be a bit expensive since both places were clearly fine dining. The food at both places was really top class, and the service was just fantastic. Nice places to pamper the taste buds.
Old 21st February 2010, 20:03   #791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Imagine what will happen to Aer. And they deserve it.. for charging 1250 bucks for a peg of vodka, the criminals!
Another place with oodles of ambience and zero service or etiquette is the Dome at the Intercontinental at Mariine Drive i.e. the old Natraj. Both places open air lounges, uber expensive, have oodles of ambience and pathetic service. Once is enough!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Samosa Sandwich:
Where: Outside heera panna (near entrance of car park)

Awesome taste; maybe the dollops of butter adds to it. The samosas get over pretty soon (by 7pm).
A must try, just love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Isnt he the same Sandwichwala who sits at Lala lajpatrai college in the mornings and shifts to heera panna at as you said 4.00pm?
I've eaten at the lala person a couple of times and Yes the Samosa sandwich is Great, its a meal by itself! I wonder if Vada-Pav can become so Famous why not Samosa sandwich/pav?
Yup same guy. Raju Sandwichwala he is called. I used to study at Lala's so i have eaten many a great meal of Samosa sandwhich washed down wiith glugs of the huge Maha Thums up 500ml, just introduced in those days. The cold drinks were sold by a lady called "Chachi" who is still alive, kicking and still selling the cold drinks right next to Raju at Lala. Love the way every time i go there even now, she will come and give you her blessings and repeat old stories of "our gang"

His son now runs the place at Heera Panna, so he told me.

When you get to Lala, just look around, at one corner of the park, lies a small stall where Raju and his team dish out the most delicious samosa sandwiches. Try the toasted ones, with cheese if you please, they are to die for. Even his cheese chilly toast is unique. Chopped capsicum, cheese and chopped onions, stuffed and grilled...yummy. The cold drinks are still sold by the frail old lady (chachi) who sits right next to Raju.

Quote:
Talking of samosa, sandwiches, I am sure the ex Don Bosco Matunga alumni (there seem to be a fair sprinkling around) would remember the legendary Homi's samosa pav served outside Khalsa College.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Totally! Homi ruled! Awesome samosa ragda, and he used to source some fantastic paav too. The other khadoos buddha next to him sucked bigtime.
Which Don bosco kid has not tasted Omi's samosa pav. Samosa pav, single, double...all that he sold. Sometime later even pani puri.

A pav with a samosa smashed in by hand and topped with hot ragda and sweet and spicy chutney. The chutney and the ragda made the pav soft and wet with the hot and crisp samosa coming in your mouth with each bite, what a burst of difgferent of textures with every bite.

Recently we had a reunion of our class and along with the other stuff for dinner, we called Omi to set up his stall too. Was great to see him the same foul mouthed, lovable soul, albiet with salt and pepper hair.

I agree about the khadoos old chap whom no one went to. He was called khadoos even on those days. Then there was a "Lambu" who sold quaint little boiled potato baskets filled with imli flavoured gravy and boiled black channas stuffed in it, somethiong like a alu pani puri. He also gave you a pav with the same stuff and was it delicious. He is not to be seen now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I've heard that Trat's is shutting down.... Is this true???
Only an idiot would think of shutting Tratts down in favour of a fine dining restaurant. As of now Tratts is their cash cow.MIt remains as my all time favourite Italian and all nite restaurant.
My fav dish is the penne with a brown red wine sauce with bacon, chicken and mushrooms. It is served with only chicken and mushrooms and is called the Pollo e Funghi something. The veggies can have the same in the same sauce with veggies. FANTASTICO!
Old 25th February 2010, 17:14   #792
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Manasi.

Guys heres a little secret for the veggie burgers, the veg. patty.

Hop by to the nearest supermarket and get a pack of Mcainn's frozen Veg burgers. Heat Oil and deep fry for at least 2 mins in medium heat.

Gogi Ji, I made burgers last week by making small changes as per your recipe. I bought Mcainn's frozen patties but I would suggest you try Sumer's (sic) burger patty, one packet contains 4 pcs instead of 6 that you get in the Mcainn's packet. I found the former more delicious then the latter.

Other wise my burgers turned out really good with dash of extra V olive oil and iceberg lettuce ( i just love it)

Many Many thanks for the suggestion on Olive oil.

Mansi
Old 27th February 2010, 16:40   #793
BHPian

Came across this thread yesterday and finished all the 53 pages today. Its making me wonder how many of the active members on this thread have acceptable height to weight ratio Hats off to Gogi sir, like GTO said I cant think of any place that you might have not eaten at.

Its been 2 yrs that I have quit smoking and crave for meat and this thread with images made me go crazy yesterday man still drooling.

Felt like adding a few places from my own small experience.

1) I stay at prabhadevi and during my late night studies with my friends a visit to a chocolate chai tapri just outside dadar station was a must everyday ( 3 am) along with the everlasting gudang garam. That was 7 yrs back, nowadays the taste of the chocolate chai is not the same. I cant say good or bad but just not the same. Its in the lane of visawa hotel near gol hanuman mandir.

2) Ashoks vada pav near kirti college. There are many people who still swear by his vadapav and bhusa/chura pav ( the left over fried flour coverings) but its become too commercialized and pricey now. 12 rs vada pav when i used to have it for 4.5. Bu t I feel the taste has changed now.

3) shree krishna vada and samosa- this place is just near ideal book depot near dadar station(w). Their rates have sky rocketed now but the taste remains the same. The speciality of the samosa is that its stuffed with poha super yummmm.

4)Hearsch bakery at bandra opposite mocha's- The yummiest home bakery products both veg and nonveg and the rates are still very reasonable,

5)Sion koli wada- I havent been there in ages and many of you might beg to differ but this place has cheap but tasty fish and chicken fare , though try and avoid the tandoori which has the color of the red/maroon skoda superb.

6) Chatai pav bhaji @ kin circle near bosco's-One of our late night haunts while studying for exams. Nothing too great about the taste its just that you sit on the chatai/mattress laid out on the footpath. Its a different experience guys. Again not many will like this experience.

I have to rush now but will post more tonight.

PS- B & T's Lipid profile meet joke had me on my fours hahahahahha

Last edited by MihirC : 27th February 2010 at 16:43.
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:34   #794
BHPian

Good place to go for anniversary

Hi guys my first marriage anniversary is coming in next week. My job wont permit us to go out of town so I was thinking of taking my wife out for lunch.

My budget is max 2000-Rs. My better half is a total veggie so please suggest a place which has a good selection of both veg and non veg foods.

It can be a buffet as well I dont have any issues. Im more of a townie so it would be preferable if the place is between Bandra to Colaba.

If there is any other good place outside my money and location criteria then feel free to suggest.

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by MihirC : 3rd March 2010 at 11:54.
Old 15th March 2010, 14:19   #795
BHPian

Had burgers at this place called Gostana in Bandra. The way to it is - take the gully next to ACP's bungalow at Carter Road, reach Bagel Shop and take the lane opposite to it. The restaurant will fall on your right hand side.

Its a tiny restaurant, with three tables and and some bar stools. They serve burgers and shakes/juices. But good god! what tasty burgers. Probably the best burgers i have had in bombay (the other great burger is the Vista Beef Burger in Taj Landsend. that is a work of art.). 1 burger and shake is enough for one person. the shakes are stunningly thick and tasty (i had a mango shake). Have the multigrain burgers, they are way tastier.

I think food for 2 was Rs. 700. But we were very full.

They have board games and magazines to occupy you till the food arrives.
Its a quiet nice lane, would really like a house there:-).

http://gostana.blogspot.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi.m View Post

IVY, Worli:

Visited on a thursday night with 3 friends and I had to wait to get a table. Now, I'm not a wine person but enjoyed my time getting drunk there! The starters were 'very Ok' with the bruschetta and cheesy garlic bread having a half-melted coating of what looked like Amul Cheese! The potato wedges were served with a nice tangy dip and by the time we called for the Ceaser's Salad, we were too drunk to rate it!
The tab came to around 4K for 5 bottles of wine(Rose White Zinfendel & Raging Bull Red) and the starters mentioned.
Quote:
IVY at Worli (right next to the Audi showroom....now you know where) is a great place for wine lovers serving decent food. I visit it quite often for really reasonably priced good quality wine and the foods not bad too.
I usually have the Caeser's salad almost everywhere so out of habit i ordered it here too and it was not bad.
The funny ting is that they are a wine bar serving no other alcoholic drink but they dont serve a cheese platter or even any kind of cheese? Whats wine without cheese and crackers?
Ivy has shut shop. I think its going to be an extended wine shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
When I was working in Taj Mumbai, I used to make it a point to visit Olympia Irani restaurant (opposite Leopold Cafe) atleast 3 times a week. I thought the Non-veg food there was very good.

Anyone felt the same?
I love the caramel custard at olympia (its the standard tasting one, not the thick one like you get in brittania). and their keema. Value for money place.

Last edited by Dippy : 15th March 2010 at 14:34. Reason: Back to back posts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks