Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2010, 17:58   #796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
4)Hearsch bakery at bandra opposite mocha's- The yummiest home bakery products both veg and nonveg and the rates are still very reasonable,
Very nice Chicken Chilly Croissant, Chicken Puff, Chicken Chilly Dry.

Quote:
5)Sion koli wada- I havent been there in ages and many of you might beg to differ but this place has cheap but tasty fish and chicken fare , though try and avoid the tandoori which has the color of the red/maroon skoda superb.
Yeah, way too much color added. If you like fried fish and prawns, try Jai Jawan opposite National College also.

Quote:
6) Chatai pav bhaji @ kin circle near bosco's-One of our late night haunts while studying for exams. Nothing too great about the taste its just that you sit on the chatai/mattress laid out on the footpath. Its a different experience guys. Again not many will like this experience.
I don't think this guy is still there. He used to be outside Gujarati Club, and was known as Bhatija's Pav Bhaji. Right outside Bosco compound, there used to be a lame Chinese vendor.

Quote:
PS- B & T's Lipid profile meet joke had me on my fours hahahahahha
Old 15th March 2010, 18:07   #797
J.Ravi

We enjoyed chat items like Pav Bhaji, Pani/Bhel Puri, etc., from Sharmajee's Chat located on one end of Marine Drive. We liked the dishes so much, we again visited the next night, i.e., 3/4 March 2010. On the second night, since we had become 'regulars', we got a free bonus packet of bhel at the end!

Last edited by J.Ravi : 15th March 2010 at 18:09.

Old 15th March 2010, 18:34   #798
Team-BHP Support

Like Gogi pointed out a couple of posts above, if you haven't been there just yet, the Dome at the Intercon, Marine Drive.
It will mostly be a little over the mentioned bill even if you keep an eye on the right side of the menu, but then the first anniversary should always be special.
Another place that comes to mind is Pearl of the Orient at the Ambassador, Churchgate. I personally like the food there, the service is great and you've got pretty much the same view (actually better) than the Dome. Plus, actually it is getting warmer by the day and you wouldn't want to feel sticky whilst at dinner, so this seems like a far better option and even within the budget.

manson.

Quote:
Hi guys my first marriage anniversary is coming in next week. My job wont permit us to go out of town so I was thinking of taking my wife out for lunch.

My budget is max 2000-Rs. My better half is a total veggie so please suggest a place which has a good selection of both veg and non veg foods.

It can be a buffet as well I dont have any issues. Im more of a townie so it would be preferable if the place is between Bandra to Colaba.

If there is any other good place outside my money and location criteria then feel free to suggest.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 16th March 2010, 15:30   #799
Senior - BHPian

@Manaa- Mansi, I have never tried Sumeru. I dont know if Sumeru still makes those breaded Crab cakes, if they do, they are delicious. Must try the Sumeru Patty now. Thanks

Quote:
Felt like adding a few places from my own small experience.

1) I stay at prabhadevi and during my late night studies with my friends a visit to a chocolate chai tapri just outside dadar station was a must everyday ( 3 am) along with the everlasting gudang garam. That was 7 yrs back, nowadays the taste of the chocolate chai is not the same. I cant say good or bad but just not the same. Its in the lane of visawa hotel near gol hanuman mandir.
I remember this chocolate tea guy used to be outside the Dadar(W) raliway station before the fly over came about, now there is no one there. I wondered where he went. Thanks for locating him. It was called Lopchu tea i think. Its just heavenly.

Quote:
2) Ashoks vada pav near kirti college. There are many people who still swear by his vadapav and bhusa/chura pav ( the left over fried flour coverings) but its become too commercialized and pricey now. 12 rs vada pav when i used to have it for 4.5. Bu t I feel the taste has changed now.
Easily the best Vada pav in Bombay (at least what i have tasted). Will never get cold vadas as nothing ever remains. I see people eating even the chura pav you mention. Very ingenious i think. Its basically wastage and would otherwise be thrown away. He has made a dish out of it. Smart Boy!! (in Ajit's tone)

Basically chura is the besan which drops in the Kadai when a freshly dipped alu wada is dropped in hot oil. Very much like Boondi.

Quote:
3) shree krishna vada and samosa- this place is just near ideal book depot near dadar station(w). Their rates have sky rocketed now but the taste remains the same. The speciality of the samosa is that its stuffed with poha super yummmm.
They also have a killer Vada. Its located near the Chhabildas School. As soon as you finish Tilak Bridge, take a left towards Dadar B.B,not towards Plaza cinema. As soon as you take the turn there is a Galli. I think it is a no entry. Walk into that lane and a t the end you will find this guy. Be careful though, its mighty spicy. Personally i dont much care for the poha filled Samosas, with every bite, a to of oil pours out.

Quote:
4)Hearsch bakery at bandra opposite mocha's- The yummiest home bakery products both veg and nonveg and the rates are still very reasonable,
Cheap and best. Lovely soft chicken sandwiches. I think they are all VFM products but a little ok on taste, yet not bad at all. Now for some reason for a while, one cant take your car inside the huge compound anymore so parking is a problem. Right opposite is the American Express Bakery which sells killer mutton (kheema) rolls and Gutli Pavs (Brun)

Quote:
5)Sion koli wada- I havent been there in ages and many of you might beg to differ but this place has cheap but tasty fish and chicken fare , though try and avoid the tandoori which has the color of the red/maroon skoda superb.
The food is good because its piping hot. Its not deteriorated, we have tasted better now. Thats what the problem actually is with old favourites which one visits after a while.

Quote:
6) Chatai pav bhaji @ kin circle near bosco's-One of our late night haunts while studying for exams. Nothing too great about the taste its just that you sit on the chatai/mattress laid out on the footpath. Its a different experience guys. Again not many will like this experience.
Never ate at the Chatai as my friends house was just in the next building. He used to sell a disco pav bhaji which was super delicious. Later i found that he was using half a brick (tikki) of Amul butter in one plate. I suspect he might be running the pathology lab down the lane. But he seems to have shifted elsewhere from some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Had burgers at this place called Gostana in Bandra. The way to it is - take the gully next to ACP's bungalow at Carter Road, reach Bagel Shop and take the lane opposite to it. The restaurant will fall on your right hand side.
Probably the best burgers i have had in bombay
Never been there. Must try now!! Thanks.

Quote:
the other great burger is the Vista Beef Burger in Taj Landsend. that is a work of art.
Vista serves good food?? Will try the burger there. i have had not very good experiences there during a late night meal. The Brunch there is good though.

Quote:
Ivy has shut shop. I think its going to be an extended wine shop.
No Way!! I had heard that they were as the company is shutting down or being sold off. Will miss this place terribly.

Quote:
I love the caramel custard at olympia (its the standard tasting one, not the thick one like you get in brittania). and their keema. Value for money place.
Kya yaar! the Olympia custard is the custard you get everywhere, Delhi Durbar, Shalimar, etc all serve the same type, why because it comes in a box. Follow the instructions on the box and you get the same custard, everytime. Tastes like Agar agar to me and pretty slimy.
Ill tell you the name if you like it so much as then you dont have to travel to Olympia to have it.

Kheema is good, Actually pretty good fare at Olympia. Have not been to Baghdadi ahead of Bade Miyan, behind the Taj for a long time now. Anyone been there recently?
Old 17th March 2010, 16:25   #800
BHPian

Need to know some good cake shop who can take online orders for delivering in Goregaon (W). This is super urgent - need to make an elderly lady smile
Old 17th March 2010, 17:09   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
L
Another place that comes to mind is Pearl of the Orient at the Ambassador, Churchgate.
manson.
the pearl of the orient is under renovation and is unlikely to be re opening any time soon
Old 29th April 2010, 13:01   #802
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
sandeeo is not decent to go wid a lady. Go to vishwa samrat,Amantran, Urban tadka in mulund.

I tried Sandeep - didn't particularly like it - maybe he had an off-day!!
Looking more for non-veg places & I will be doing takeout - so ambience isn't important - any other recommendations. Looking for reasonably priced options.

Also looking for Veg Udipi kind of places in Mulund (W). Didn't like Guruprasad (Marathon Max) and one more which is opposite Nirmal Lifestyle - any recos?
Old 29th April 2010, 13:55   #803
BHPian

Has Anobody Been to Khau Gali.. saw a huge billboard at andheri about the opening of Khau Galli.
Old 29th April 2010, 15:52   #804
BHPian

My friend comes down once in a month or two from the U.S. & we have fixed places to go to. One is Haji Tikka in Bhendi Bazaar. The other is Be Taaki Seekh Paratha wala. The third is Chinese Grill in Pydhonie where you get the most heavenly nalli nihari. The fourth is Shalimar right on Mohd. Ali Road. My best friend is a Bohri who has shown me the best places to eat and this is certainly one of them. Last night we went and had our share of "Happy Hour" at T.G.I.F. at Palladium Mall. After that we called Shalimar & pre-ordered their Raan.

Raan is the Leg of a Goat cooked as a whole piece in forms as per your taste. We stuck to Tandoori Raan as the Raan Masala is very Oily. Accompaniments were Bheja Tava Masala, Gurda Masala & Chicken Reshmi Kebab. We had this with Roomali Roti & Maaza (Mangola was not available). We topped it all with Firni & Rabdi. Yes 3 people finished all of it. The food is awesome and consistently good whenever we have gone there. And yes, we always have the Raan there whenever we go.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 29th April 2010 at 15:53. Reason: :from the US: added
Old 11th May 2010, 17:45   #805
BHPian

hey guys
being a foodie, my head has started spinning after going through a few pages
I have found nirvana here
btw have you guys missed Sahaj hotel near mumbai central which serves the best seekh kababs money can buy
Old 26th May 2010, 10:39   #806
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
sandeeo is not decent to go wid a lady. Go to vishwa samrat,Amantran, Urban tadka in mulund.
Tried Amantran yesterday. The ambience, service etc was good. The veg food was also decent. However the Tandoori Prawns were terrible. It had a really bad fishy smell, the kind which very rarely comes from prawns. Didn't also taste good.

Really need some recommendations for Mulund.
Till now not found anything outstanding -> Have tried the following places -> Amruta(veg), Guruprasad(veg), Sandeep, Sudarshan, Amantran.

Last edited by carboy : 26th May 2010 at 10:43.
Old 6th July 2010, 12:02   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Tried Amantran yesterday. The ambience, service etc was good. The veg food was also decent. However the Tandoori Prawns were terrible. It had a really bad fishy smell, the kind which very rarely comes from prawns. Didn't also taste good.

Till now not found anything outstanding -> Have tried the following places -> Amruta(veg), Guruprasad(veg), Sandeep, Sudarshan, Amantran.
did you try vishwa samrat? the closest thing to udipi would be vishwa bharti opp the station. Being a guju area the sambar is sweet anywhere in mulund.

If you dont really mind hygiene for really good chicken, there is 'babloo' as you move from wokhart to nirmal lifestyle there is a hp petrol pump , rigth next to it there s a shady place , i am a veggie but my friends swear by it.

Also urban tadka ( r mall ) is good.

Are you living in mulund?
Old 7th July 2010, 10:52   #808
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
We'd stopped by Ruby Tuesday at Nirmal Lifestyle. Loved the junk food. And, in the same complex, there's Rajdhani thali too.
Old 7th July 2010, 14:57   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
in the same complex, there's Rajdhani thali too.
Stay Away from Rajdhani, they have gone to dogs, remember reading the Mumbai Mirror report. Before his hospitalisation, my dad had eaten at Rajdhani and fallen ill the very next day and was in Hospital for 20 days almost, 17 in ICU.

My two cents issued in Public interest.

Mansi
Old 7th July 2010, 15:45   #810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
Stay Away from Rajdhani, they have gone to dogs, remember reading the Mumbai Mirror report. Before his hospitalisation, my dad had eaten at Rajdhani and fallen ill the very next day and was in Hospital for 20 days almost, 17 in ICU.

My two cents issued in Public interest.

Mansi

Didnt know your dad fell ill because of the Rajdhani Thali. A guy in my complex owns two franchisee branches of Rajdhani at Oberoi Mall amd In orbit Malad. He always invites me to come there but I'm like no thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks