Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2010, 13:00   #826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Guys we have a special celebration tomorrow. The lady likes Italian food. What place in Mumbai does the best Italian? I've shortlisted Don Giovanni's for now. Would appreciate some recommendations.
Nothing better than Celini at the Grand Hyatt. Wins hands down.
Old 21st October 2010, 13:09   #827
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Other places which serve a decent steak are :
I suggest you seriously try Mondegar's at Colaba as well.

Quote:
Guys we have a special celebration tomorrow. The lady likes Italian food. What place in Mumbai does the best Italian? I've shortlisted Don Giovanni's for now. Would appreciate some recommendations.
I don't like Don.
Other places i'd recommend in order of preference are:
- Celini at Grand Hyatt (Santacruz)
- Olive bar and kitchen (i like the race course one)
- Tratts at taj President (Cuff Parade)
- Indigo Deli at Phoenix
- Indigo at Colaba
- Basilico
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:14   #828
Distinguished - BHPian

212 Bar and Grill, Worli

Went to the highly acclaimed 212 Bar & Grill at Worli last week.

212 opened this September and had got quite rave reviews.

We needed to book a couple of days in advance for a table for 7 on a thursday night.

Where Magic was at Worli. It's next to the BMW showroom opposite Nehru Centre.

Parking:
Valet parking available.

Interiors:
Elegantly done. Not loud interiors. Ample space between tables so one doesn't get disturbed my conversations from surrounding tables.
Ask for a table not below the AC vents. Can get very chilling.

Food:
Steaks, pastas, pizzas etc.

Recommended:
The mushroom soup was to die for and so is the raspberry cheese cake.
Stay away from the lamb chops.
Portions are small (starters and soups). Main course size is fine.
Stay away from the fresh lime. Almost everyone on the table found it too sour.
Other food is best described as a good (not excellent).

Price:
5 star rates.

Service:
HORRIBLE!
Waiters do not recommend getting two portions when they know that one portion will not be adequate.
You have to wave frantically to get a waiter's attention.
Thrice they missed out a couple of items on the order.
Service is slow.
Even though asked to get food as it's cooked, they said they will get it only when the entire main course order is ready. Thus, half of the people on the table received cold food.
One has to literally beg to get a second round of drinks. Waiters just don't respond or forget. Very annoying.
After asking for the chops to be well done, they got it medium rare. And did it again when asked to repeat it.
Credit card slip comes without a pen and one has to wait for 10 minutes for a pen. Feedback form again comes without a pen and after 5 minutes they give you a blunt pencil. They have no email id since "we are a new restaurant"

Overall:
A nice place but the service has to improve tremendously. Can't imagine what they would do on a weekend.
I'd recommend to just go there for the mushroom soup and the cheesecake.

022-24901994 | +91 9920838529

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 2nd November 2010 at 12:17. Reason: corrected spelling mistakes
Old 2nd November 2010, 13:56   #829
BHPian

@ Anil & Tejas,

Thank you both for your suggestions. We ended up going to Gadda da Vida in Novotel Juhu. The first time we went there we tried some really amazing entrees like salmon on pita bread, meatballs etc. The music was decent (lounge) and we sat on the deck facing the sea.

However on the 22nd of October the place had transformed completely. It was a loud noisy place full of local teenagers and elderly foreigners. There was a very odd vibe.

Gadda da vida have changed the menu and my favorite salmon with pita is now replaced with stuff like Chana Chaat and the regular chicken tikka etc. Heck if it's Indian fare that I would want to eat there are manny better places for the same.

Anyway, we hung out for a while and then went to Mangi Ferra for dinner as it was much closer to home. As always the food and service there is impeccable.

Last edited by mobike008 : 11th November 2010 at 13:21. Reason: Direct or indirect reference to alcohol is prohibited on this forum. Thanks !
Old 2nd November 2010, 21:30   #830
BHPian

Just My first one in this section ...

Well i have been going to this guy ... in Ghatkopar - East 90 feet road , Near Odean Cinema

I dont like Potatoes too much .. but when its Frankies i cant resist!
The place is Dolphin Frankie , the person is a Bengali guy , people call him Dolphin dont know why ?(i got to find that after 3 yrs straight when i he was talking amongest his helpers and it was surprising)

They have JAIN Frankies, Sada (Plain) , CHeese ones ...( Rs. 40- 50/-)
the positives: Its really a clean joint & Most Gujju's are often there hanginout, price is reasonable , sizes are enough and graceful

the negatives : Perhaps if they could make it less greasy with less oil compromised ..oh well thats Debateable ... hehe

But This place is Heaven , to add in .. there is also a WaterMelon Juicewala right Next to him ....He is Great too , After a Frankie i do Recommend to try the juice
it goes with it ... BURRRRRP

Happy Slurrrrping
TND

Last edited by torqueyTND : 2nd November 2010 at 21:32. Reason: typo
torqueyTND is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2010, 18:36   #831
BHPian

Bihari food

I bumped on to this thread today only. Read 6 pages till now.
Absolutely delightful
Might sound a little stupid, but does anyone know if there is a place where one can find Bihari Food, especially litti chokha & sattu paratha

TIA
Old 3rd February 2011, 17:10   #832
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai

Hi Guys, Valentine day is coming up and this being the first one with my wife wanted to take her out on a candle light dinner and if possible along with live music.

Any recommendations ?

Last edited by dar3dev|l : 3rd February 2011 at 17:15.
Old 6th May 2011, 17:44   #833
BHPian

Recently I went to a Restaurant called FLAGS. It is near Inorbit mall. Note that there are two FLAG restaurants in Malad. The one I am talking about is the one which is near Inorbit mall. It is a pure vegetarian restaurant. It has different cuisines including Punjabi, italian and continental. The funda of name FLAG is that it has dishes of various countries. For example in Pizza - they will have Italian Pizza, Greek Pizza(Greece), Indian Tandoori Pizza(India), Mexican Pizza(Mexico). So they have dishes which are supposed to be specialities of different countries. The ambience is really awesome. Inside it is very quiet and peaceful. The waiter was very helpful in suggesting different dishes and patiently explained a number of dishes to us. Valet parking facility is there. One an average each dish was around 250 bucks but it was worth the money. This place is definately worth trying. One advice - For heaven's sake do not go there on a Sunday. There will be huge waiting periods. Saturday's are much better and booking before going is the best option. They do not take bookings on Sunday.
Old 6th May 2011, 21:34   #834
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Recently I went to a Restaurant called FLAGS. It is near Inorbit mall. Note that there are two FLAG restaurants in Malad.
This place was there in South Bombay too, near Regal Cinema. Don't know why it shut down. But it had great food, and surprisingly the dishes from all the cuisines were really good. That's not something I've seen in too many restaurants.
Old 6th May 2011, 21:56   #835
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried STOMACH 2 it is in 7 bunglows , in a lane where I stay, Bank of maharashtra lane, opposit MAZDOCK apartments.
It is about 25 yrs old and has best chinese food in versova, bit expensive as compared to others in the lane.
We always get food from here on Saturdays , at times we go there and eat.
Ambience is good, food is too good , always full with customers , but they manage to accomodate you fast.
Pls try it out.Its second branch is STOMACH 1 at bandra but this owner says he has nothing to do with that place.
Old 6th May 2011, 22:15   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Has anyone tried STOMACH 2 it is in 7 bunglows , in a lane where I stay, Bank of maharashtra lane, opposit MAZDOCK apartments.
It is about 25 yrs old and has best chinese food in versova, bit expensive as compared to others in the lane.
We always get food from here on Saturdays , at times we go there and eat.
Ambience is good, food is too good , always full with customers , but they manage to accomodate you fast.
Pls try it out.Its second branch is STOMACH 1 at bandra but this owner says he has nothing to do with that place.
Andheri (fame adlabs area) has a number of awesome restaurants. There is Caravan Serai for mughlai food. Very good ambience and good food but a little overpriced. Then there is Red Box which was really an amazing restaurant. I think food wise Bandra, Andheri and South Bombay have really good restaurants.
Old 7th May 2011, 10:55   #837
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally found the best burger place in Bombay

Chez Vouz French Bistro

Location: Eros Cinema Building, Churchgate. Where the old sundance cafe was.

The best beef burger i've eaten in this country and at par with the rest of the world. Perfect medium rare meat with the bread nice and crusty on the outside and soft on the inside.

MUST MUST MUST GO.

Apparently the veg and chicken burgers aren't that great. Not tried them personally though.
Old 2nd June 2011, 23:19   #838
BHPian

Had been to Balwas Restaurant, Marine Lines because Burrp recommended it for "Best Biryani". I felt it's overrated and it tasted ordinary, though the chicken was pretty soft. If anyone wants to eat biryani in the eastern suburbs, head to Samudra near Thane RTO. That's the tastiest biryani I have eaten in Mumbai.
Old 5th June 2011, 13:43   #839
BHPian

Was at Tamnak thai (Shivaji Park) last night,its anything but a Thai restaurant.The Green curry had peas in it!? Plus it didnt taste too well at all.
Even Pop tates/eat around the corner serve better thai curry.

My all time favorite is Thai Pavillion.
Are there any other good Thai restaurants in town?

For Indian i would recommend - Copper chimney,Urban Tadka( 7 bungalows) & NSCI.Chinese - China gate ,bandra
For Sizzlers - Pop tates

Plan to visit hakkasan,bandra sometime this month.

Cheers!

P.S- I love Crystal ,in addition to the food- the kheer & aam ras is to die for.

Last edited by dhirajs : 5th June 2011 at 13:49. Reason: To mention Crystal
Old 12th September 2011, 18:27   #840

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
@ V-16
Talking about Phantom Cigarettes, it was nostalgic, thinking about the good old days, i just bought one yesterday...
Hi Anil. Where did you get the Phantom ciggies? Been lookin for them all over. A nice trip down memory lane that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks