Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2012, 22:34   #856
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai

I have been living in Mulund for a couple of years now. I feel Mulund has the most bad restaurants as compared to most other suburbs in Bombay - I am not talking about the swanky ones, but the udipis and a medium price bar and restuarant kind of stuff - places you pop in for a quick meal or order delivery or takeout. (My experience is mostly about Mulund West, because I don't go much to the East).

Guruprasad - close to Nirmal Lifestyle. They have a zillion items on their menu. On the average day, 2 or 3 of them taste good. But just so you shouldn't be complacent, the 2-3 items which taste good changes every day - it's like russian roulette. But their customer service is outstanding. They deliver within minutes, outstandingly courteous etc etc.

Amruta - opposite Nirmal Lifestyle. They can even mess up a Medhu Vada & Chatni so bad that you have to throw it away. Or even a simple Dosa and Chatni.

Shri Ram (near St Pius) is decent but they ignore any instructions you give them (like make it crisp, give 2 chatnis etc) if it's takeout.

There is a Bhelwala in Sarvodya Nagar who makes possibly the worst Bhel in the world. There are 2 or 3 of them there - the others are OK, but this one is terrible - he is the out outside a shop which sells snacks - don't remember the name. The Bhelwala also sells Frankies which are OK (I got 2 once - one was good & the roti of the other one had a stale smell).

Sneha Bar and restaurant (St Pius Road) - very very average food.

Sudharshan Bar and Restaurant - again close to Nirmal lifestyle - very very average food.

Amantran - JN Road - served half cooked prawns once.

In Chembur(and probably most places in Bombay), I could practically walk into any damn restaurant on the street blindly and expect to be served decent food. There is even a restaurant in Chembur which has only 5-6 tables and you have to sit with others - no concept of private tables. They very rarely have more 4-5 items at any time(this changes depending on whether it's breakfast or lunch or dinner time). Very few things on the menu cost more than 20 Rs. But the food they serve is very tasty.

There is a Shiv Vada Pav every 2 blocks in Mulund, but most of them are lousy. The pav and chatni at most places are bad and the wada is decent at best. I must have tried 20 vada pav places in Mulund - most of them, I never wished to go again - the best was probably Bhagat wada pava near Mehul Cinema (at the 4-way junction) - but again it's only good compared to other wada pavs in Mulund and not per se.

There are a few decent restaurants in Mulund (Apna Dhaba near Nirmal Lifestyle, Pooja on the link Road etc), but there are more bad than good. There are some decent ones near the station, but that's place where it's impossible to park your car - if you want to go for a quick bite or order takeout.

Mulund West is where food comes to die.

Last edited by carboy : 28th March 2012 at 22:48.
Old 29th March 2012, 10:55   #857
BHPian

@ Carboy, I guess this sums you up aptly - There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw.

And I am sorry there are hardly any decent joints to eat in Mulund. I used to work in Thane and went hungry for almost a good part of 18 months.

The only decent food we got delivered was from Urban Tadka @ R Mall. Hope they are still as good as then.

Vada Pao, the eternal Bombayite favourite, there is a guy outside the Super Max factory gate. opp Eternity mall @ Teen Haath Naka. From the LBS check naka, just before the signal on eastern xpress highway.

Also at the signal is an amazing sandwich guy, guess in the evening. Worth a visit.
Old 29th March 2012, 21:16   #858
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
And I am sorry there are hardly any decent joints to eat in Mulund. I used to work in Thane and went hungry for almost a good part of 18 months.
The stuff I have experienced in Mulund is something I have never experienced in my life in Bombay - it's happened in other places in India, but not in Bombay - the greatness of Bombay is that the average restaurant in Bombay serves pretty decent food. You can practically go to any Udipi restaurant - even a hole in wall one & be guaranteed a decent Masala Dosa or a Medhu Vada.

Quote:
The only decent food we got delivered was from Urban Tadka @ R Mall. Hope they are still as good as then.
Yes, Urban Tadka is pretty decent. Very close, but outside Nirmal Lifestyle on the road where you drive out of Nirmal Lifestyle from the car park is "Apna Dhaba" (it's not really a dhaba - but a family place) is also good.

Quote:

Vada Pao, the eternal Bombayite favourite, there is a guy outside the Super Max factory gate. opp Eternity mall @ Teen Haath Naka. From the LBS check naka, just before the signal on eastern xpress highway.
I don't go to Thane that often but I surely check it out the next time I go there.
Old 29th March 2012, 21:41   #859
BHPian

In Mulund, I found biryani and chicken gravy items to be good at Sandeep near Panch Rasta. But again, it is not a 'family' restaurant. I have been to Poptates (R Mall) quite a few times, and the pizza there is great. Also, it's very well priced (200 bucks for a family size pizza). In Nirmal, there are good restaurants like Pind Balluchi and the thai restaurant just beside Rajdhani (can't recall the name).
Old 29th March 2012, 23:54   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
The stuff I have experienced in Mulund is something I have never experienced in my life in Bombay - it's happened in other places in India, but not in Bombay - the greatness of Bombay is that the average restaurant in Bombay serves pretty decent food. You can practically go to any Udipi restaurant - even a hole in wall one & be guaranteed a decent Masala Dosa or a Medhu Vada.
How about vishwa mahal and vishwa prasad? Are there any better restaurants in and around bhandup?
Old 7th April 2012, 17:37   #861
Senior - BHPian

Name : Cesky

Location: Hotel Meluha The Fern at Hiranandani Gardens, Powai

Average Cost: INR 3500 per head

Food: European Cuisine - French, German, etc. Food is strictly non-vegetarian so don't bother going there if you are vegeterian. Food is pre-plated and is served in a 7 course menu. Each dish seems to prepare you for the next. This place is definitely not for every one specifically because of the kind of food it offers but more over for the pricing too. You will mostly find expatriates dining there. I happened to meet the chef - Mr. Christian Cilia who is Italian and a very passionate guy when it comes to the food served there. It is a small restaurant of around a seating capacity of 30 and Christian apparently prepares the food himself!

Service: The restuarant is brand new and service is personalized. Chef Cilia takes time out to meet every guest there to get feedback.

Ambience: The set up is good but could be better. I found the place a bit noisy for a fine dining restaurant as it is not totally blocked/closed away from other restaurants which consist of a bar and coffee shop. The singer and piano at the bar also adds to the noise. I have however been told that this restaurant will be totally blocked away from in due course of time.

Conclusion: It is the perfect place to entertain your expat business colleagues/friends. The experience was outstanding and will only be enjoyed by foodies and one who really knows and appreciates European Cuisine. The food served is absolutely high end; for example the starter was Oyster, Champagne & Beluga Caviar which is probably not enjoyed and know by everyone. Totally worth the price and experience.

Note : Also try out the hotel's coffee shop 'Tiara'. Very good lunch/dinner buffet for a resonable price of INR 850 per head. This hotel and restaurant is apparently brand new and around a year old so not known to everyone.

Last edited by Epic : 7th April 2012 at 17:41.
Old 9th April 2012, 13:11   #862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Didnt know your dad fell ill because of the Rajdhani Thali. A guy in my complex owns two franchisee branches of Rajdhani at Oberoi Mall amd In orbit Malad. He always invites me to come there but I'm like no thanks
Hello Dippy,

Regret to reply to a very old thread of yours.

But I was recently going thru Rajdhani Thali's website & found that both the Malad Outlets (Oberoi Mall & Inorbit Mall) are not listed there.

The said Rajdhani Outlet list is available here:
Khandani Rajdhani - Ek Khandani Parampara - Rajdhani Outlets

Do you have any idea whether there are two Rajdhani chains? Can you confirm this from the person staying in your complex?

Thanks,
Old 9th April 2012, 17:31   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Hi Guys the resident foodie is back

On the contrary my friend.
A plethora of places to visit in mumbai for Moghlai food. Delhi Darbar tops the list.
>>>
Gogi,

Hope you are fine.

Is this the one near Regal Cinema in Colaba? Are there any branches in the suburbs?

Also what is your opinion on beef burgers at Chez Vouz French Bistro in the Eros Cinema Building, Churchgate?

Regards
Old 9th April 2012, 17:51   #864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>
Gogi,

Hope you are fine.
Hi Boss, Am fine thanks.

Quote:
Is this the one near Regal Cinema in Colaba? Are there any branches in the suburbs?
No not the Regal one but that cant be bad too. The one im talking is in Grant Road. Pila House as it is called though there are a few branches. One is near the Masjid which is situated in the middle of the road at Dhobi Talao. Just next to Sassanian Bakery (Warning: Do not enter Sassanian Bakery, World's worst food) The ones which bear the name Jaffer Bhai's Delhi Darbar. Yes there is one somewhere in the suburbs....Google Uncle just told me theres one in Shastri Nagar (wherever that is) in Mumbai Tel: 022 26321370. I suspect strongly its one of their take away places where one cant eat but can just order from.

Quote:
Also what is your opinion on beef burgers at Chez Vouz French Bistro in the Eros Cinema Building, Churchgate?
Regards
Ive had the burgers at the Chez Vous and thought they were top quality but im told that the partners have split and now someone else is handling the kitchen so i would not be sure how it tastes now, may be as good or better even. Who knows?!

I would rate the Blue Cheese Burger served at the Hard Rock Cafe as one of the best Beef Burgers in the city. But beware again, HRC has the notorious reputation of killing or removing from the menu, its best dishes.

Incidentally, I would like to mention that one of the best kachoris (the Gujarati ones, Small roundels of goodness) i have eaten since years are available in a small place at Opera house, in the lane next to Roxy Cinema at a place ironically called Pancahratna Jalebi House (or was it centre?) This is the very lane which was bombed a few months ago. Piping hot jalebis and kachoris at any given time you walk there. Very fresh, very yummy and very very hot. Try them sometimes when you guys are there. Also serves Fafda, Ghatia and Methi Bhajjia...again hot of course. Served with a raw papaya relish or/and with the lovely sweet chilli chutney flavoured with Hing.
Old 9th April 2012, 18:32   #865
Team-BHP Support

I was in Bombay a couple of weeks ago and ate at Military cafe in Fort area. Lovely Parsi food available in decent quantity. A meal for two came to about Rs. 300/-.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
...Google Uncle just told me theres one in Shastri Nagar (wherever that is) in Mumbai Tel: 022 26321370. I suspect strongly its one of their take away places where one cant eat but can just order from....
They do have a 20 seater open restaurant in this place. Quite a small place to dine-in and since there are no walls or partitions from the road, you get all the traffic noise while dining. Best to do a take away. This outlet is located in the lane next to Laxmi Industrial estate on Link Road Andheri. To get there from the other side turn right while going from four bungalows to Lokhandwala at the crossing after Masala mantar.
Old 9th April 2012, 20:26   #866
Senior - BHPian

OK, as it shows on google as a take away place. Military cafe s been a personal favourite of mine. Serves the best Akuri in town.
Old 10th April 2012, 09:08   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16

Hi Boss, Am fine thanks.
Pila House as it is called though there are a few branches. One is near the Masjid which is situated in the middle of the road at Dhobi Talao. Just next to Sassanian Bakery (Warning: Do not enter Sassanian Bakery, World's worst food) The ones which bear the name Jaffer Bhai's Delhi Darbar.

Ive had the burgers at the Chez Vous and thought they were top quality but im told that the partners have split..

I would rate the Blue Cheese Burger served at the Hard Rock Cafe as one of the best Beef Burgers
>>>
Gogi,
Thank you. Terrific advice as usual. Will certainly check out Delhi Durbar at Pila House & HRC. How about Rajasthani type ( no pyaaz but with dal) ? Also my mother asks you on where to get Amritsari badi here in Bombay?
Regards
Old 10th April 2012, 09:12   #868
BHPian

>>>
Gogi,
I meant Rajasthani kachoris in my post above.
Regards & enjoy life
Old 11th April 2012, 00:09   #869
Senior - BHPian

This even I would like to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>
Gogi,
Also my mother asks you on where to get Amritsari badi here in Bombay?
Regards
Old 11th April 2012, 07:34   #870
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Has anyone been to Choki Dani on Kalyan Bhiwandi road? Hows the food there? I guess there's some cultural activities that take place everyday. Was interested in taking the family out along with some relatives.

Most Viewed