Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 10:34   #871
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Guys,

Has anyone been to Choki Dani on Kalyan Bhiwandi road? Hows the food there? I guess there's some cultural activities that take place everyday. Was interested in taking the family out along with some relatives.
Hello,

Choki Dhani is a good place. But only issue tight now will be the heat. If spending fours hours in summer is not a problem for you, then it is a nice place to go for one time. Also children will enjoy the events there.

More reviews on Choki Dhani are available here:

User Reviews of Chokhi Dhani, Bhiwandi, Thane, Restaurants - burrp.com

Thanks,
Old 12th April 2012, 14:27   #872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>
Gogi,
Thank you. Terrific advice as usual. Will certainly check out Delhi Durbar at Pila House & HRC. How about Rajasthani type ( no pyaaz but with dal) ? Also my mother asks you on where to get Amritsari badi here in Bombay?
Regards
You will get top notch Amritsari Wadis in Koliwada area. When you get into Koliwada, i.e. near the famous Mini Punjab Fish Fry and Hazara Restaurants, ask for Khosla Stores, Roshan Stores or Satnam Stores. They are in different directions but very close to each other. I recommend Roshan Stores which is in a small by lane opp Mini Punjab and adjacent to Hazara Hotel. Ask for the kind of wadis you prefer, spicy, extra pepper or regular. While there, also go to the Indra Cold drinks shop (right next door) and get a bottle of their famous Kashmiri Masala. Also try a Masala Soda so you know how to use the Kashmiri Masala.

Quote:
>>>
Gogi,
I meant Rajasthani kachoris in my post above.
Regards & enjoy life

Rajasthani Kachoris...well im not sure if the ones you get at Panchratna Jalebi House next to Roxy Cinema qualify but they do make delicious kachoris. These are essentially Gujrati ones. Not sure the regular ones which they serve are Jain but i have a feeling, keeping the area and clientele in mind, it should be without onion and garlic. Tewari brothers (Opera house and Sion) make these Dal Kachoris.

@ Ghodlur: Choki Shani is a famous restaurant from the North which has opened a branch (franchise??) at Thana. The USP is everything is made in house from the Ghee to the vegetables which are also grown in house. It is like a visit to a small village and the food and entertainment makes for a very fulfilling experience. I havnt been to either but im told its good. Worth a try and fit for a family outing.

Last edited by V-16 : 12th April 2012 at 14:30.
Old 12th April 2012, 19:11   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
You will get top notch Amritsari Wadis in Koliwada area. When you get into Koliwada,

Tewari brothers (Opera house and Sion) make these Dal Kachoris.
>>>

Will go there, thank you. As also to Krystal near Wilson College for baigan bharta whenever I happen to be in that part of town. Haven't had great baigan bharta outside the home in years.

Regards
Old 12th April 2012, 19:36   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I have been living in Mulund for a couple of years now. I feel Mulund has the most bad restaurants as compared to most other suburbs in Bombay - I am not talking about the swanky ones, but the udipis and a medium price bar and restuarant kind of stuff - places you pop in for a quick meal or order delivery or takeout. (My experience is mostly about Mulund West, because I don't go much to the East).
If you think food in Mulund is bad, wait till you come to Thane. There is a serious lack of good restaurants here (Old Thane. Not GB road)

OTOH - There is an awesome sandwich-wala right outside Tambe Nagar, Mulund.

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th April 2012 at 12:14. Reason: Please DO NOT quote entire long post for a short reply....
Old 20th April 2012, 12:37   #875
F50
Senior - BHPian

An incident which happened to me this week.

Mocha Mojo, Bandra.

A great place to chill out. Also had few Team-Bhp meets as well. So went this Tuesday with neighbor for a meeting. They offer Valet Service. So gave my car and went in. I was there for about 2.5 hrs and left at 23.30.

I drive to work daily. And completely against talking on phone while driving. But the nature of my business makes few calls very urgent. So I use a Plantronics bluetooth. I keep my bluetooth in arm-rest.

So like every other day, I kept it in arm-rest before going to Mocha Mojo. To my surprise, the following day it was missing from its usual place! No one ever opened my car from 23.30 hours to 9 am the next morning. So, I'm assuming it was stolen by the valet guy.

Im not cribbing over a bluetooth but just a headsup for the people who often give their cars to valet and be careful when anyone visits Mocha Mojo!
Old 20th April 2012, 13:12   #876
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Had been to Barbeque Nation, Pali Hill recently. Overall liked the concept & the experience was quite good. Rs 750 for non-veg & Rs 650 for veg per head. Only down side was the 1hr waiting, this was on a Saturday night!
Old 21st April 2012, 00:08   #877
Senior - BHPian

Hi Issigonis,

irrelevant to this thread but the other night I had amazing baigan bharta at 'The Dhaba' in Claridges @ Surajkund, yeah sister hotel of the Claridges at Aurangzeb road in Delhi. in fact their Dal Makhni was far superior to anything I have had in a long time including Dal Bukhara.

Pitstop on your next trip to Dilli

Claridges Hotel Surajkund | Weekend Special Hotels in Surajkund | Sunday Lunch Restaurants in Surajkund

Quote:
>>>
Haven't had great baigan bharta outside the home in years.
Coming back to the thread per se, Golden Punjab in sector 17, Vashi used to do a mean Bharta. However, last I ate there is nearly two years ago.
Old 21st April 2012, 00:20   #878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy
I have been living in Mulund for a couple of years now. I feel Mulund has the most bad restaurants as compared to most other suburbs in Bombay - I am not talking about the swanky ones, but the udipis and a medium price bar and restuarant kind of stuff - places you pop in for a quick meal or order delivery or takeout. (My experience is mostly about Mulund West, because I don't go much to the East).
I somewhat disagree to you, mulund has very good restaurants too, vishwa samrat,shloka, nisarga, athithi, urban tadka, Sandeep and many more being a goody and having had a bite at almost all restaurants around. The best vada pav is opposite mt agarwal hospital. Road side eateries is ruled by mulund now..

I find apna dhaba the most unhygienic place on earth , they use bore well water which stinks all their cutlery stinks, we had cockroaches on our dinner table there..

Note from Support:
1- Please do not quote an entire long message. Hampers readability for our mobile users.
2- Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins. Thanks.

Last edited by Eddy : 21st April 2012 at 00:55. Reason: Note Inline
Old 21st April 2012, 00:49   #879
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by docaxe View Post
I find apna dhaba the most unhygienic place on earth , they use bore well water which stinks all their cutlery stinks, we had cockroaches on our dinner table there..
I only order delivery from Apna Dhaba - never eaten in there. So I guess I don't know about this issue, because at home, we end up using our own cutlery and cockroaches.

Overall, I find their food to be consistent, reasonably priced and reasonably good. Nothing outstanding, but in Mulund, it's like a Michelin starred restaurant.
Old 21st April 2012, 14:54   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Boss, Am fine thanks.

The ones which bear the name Jaffer Bhai's Delhi Darbar. Yes there is one somewhere in the suburbs....Google Uncle just told me theres one in Shastri Nagar (wherever that is) in Mumbai Tel: 022 26321370. I suspect strongly its one of their take away places where one cant eat but can just order from.

Ive had the burgers at the Chez Vous and thought they were top quality but im told that the partners have split and now someone else is handling the kitchen so i would not be sure how it tastes now, may be as good or better even. Who knows?!

I would rate the Blue Cheese Burger served at the Hard Rock Cafe as one of the best Beef Burgers in the city. But beware again, HRC has the notorious reputation of killing or removing from the menu, its best dishes.
Guys, I'm assuming that you're discussing the Biriyani at Delhi Darbar. The one at Colaba and the One at Grant Road serve good quality authentic Biriyani. The one at Lokhandwala serves horrible Biriyani. If you're in the Andheri / Lokhandwala area, try the Boneless Mutton Biriyani from Lucky Biriyani opposite Mega Mall. This is one of the best you can get in the suburbs and it rivals the DD Biriyani.

Chez Vous has pathetic management. I had once made a reservetaion for two for 11:00 pm. When we reached there, we were informed that the chef had left and they could only serve us coffeee. It seems that they had forgotten our reservation and let their staff go home early. I was furious and have never been back there again. Better places to patronise than these losers.

Speaking of Beef Burgers, Indigo at lokhandwala has one of the best and juciest burgers that you can get in Mumbai.
Old 21st April 2012, 15:51   #881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
The one at Colaba and the One at Grant Road serve good quality authentic Biriyani.
The one at Lokhandwala serves horrible Biriyani.
Must be a one-off experience with the Lokhandwala outlet, because the Colaba DD and Grant Road DD have no connection whatsoever. The Lokhandwala one is part of the Jaffer Bhai's DD chain, just like Grant Road. Also, the Biryani served at Grant Road and Lokhandwala should be similar since they are both made at a central kitchen if I'm not mistaken.
Old 21st April 2012, 16:59   #882
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
I would rate the Blue Cheese Burger served at the Hard Rock Cafe as one of the best Beef Burgers in the city. But beware again, HRC has the notorious reputation of killing or removing from the menu, its best dishes.
I have eaten the Cheeseburger at Hard Rock Cafe, Pune and I think it's the best beef burger I have eaten in the world. I have eaten lots of Cheeseburgers in the US (Denny's, Red Robins, Dick's, Fatburger, Johnny Rockets and tons of places) - previously Red Robins was my favourites, but Hard Rock Cafe's Cheeseburger beats every one of them hollow - I haven't even eaten the BlueCheese one, just the regular one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docaxe View Post
The best vada pav is opposite mt agarwal hospital. Road side eateries is ruled by mulund now..
Where exactly is mt agarwal - from Google maps, it seems to be near J & J - but I haven't seen any vadapav near there - can you give the exact location - is it in one of the in-roads - any other road side eateries you recommend? Is the mt agarwal one a ShivVadaPav stall?
Old 21st April 2012, 17:22   #883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Must be a one-off experience with the Lokhandwala outlet, because the Colaba DD and Grant Road DD have no connection whatsoever. The Lokhandwala one is part of the Jaffer Bhai's DD chain, just like Grant Road. Also, the Biryani served at Grant Road and Lokhandwala should be similar since they are both made at a central kitchen if I'm not mistaken.
No buddy. Not a one off experience. I've tried and compared all three branches over the years. There's a significant difference between all three and there's a drastic difference between the ones that they sell at Grant Road and at Lokhandwala. Trust me. I know my biriyani
Old 21st April 2012, 17:33   #884
Senior - BHPian

Vadapav is good almost everywher, the degree of "Best"ness depends on the hunger of the person
I have but one place amongst these which serves a fantastic Vada Pav. Its bang next to Kirti College off Cadel Road, the one which links Prabhadevi to Mahim. Take the turn into Kirti College lane and there it is on the right say 20 meters before the college itself. I dont think there is a lane but ive heard people call him Anand, Mohan and Ashok. He respons to all three but for the record his name is Ashok.

There is a humble stall which opens twice in the day, morning (i dont know what time) and then shuts after stuff runs out and then around 4-5 in the evening till the stuff runs out again, which can be a couple of hours at the most. The Vadas are huge, and the pav is fresh and soft. There is a mix of a green and a sweet chutney, sprinkled with the essential vada pav dry red chilli garlic chutney and this sweet chutney is the one that makes the difference. If you eat two you are sorted for your meal.

he also makes a Chura pav whic is essentially the droplets of the Besan (gram flour) like boondi. He packs these little droplets of crispy goodness in the pav with the three chutney (or as per your choice) and you can bite into eternal heaven.

Ill try to go there in a day or so and get some pictures of the place. You will instantly recognize the place during business hours as there will be a crowd there. Never have i seen it empty and never have i got my vada pav off the shelf. I have always had to wait, in line with the others awaiting my order which is dished out fresh in front of my eyes. The demand here always outdoes the supply. Try this and tell me if its better than the ones you have had elsewhere. For me this is the best vada pav ive eaten.
Old 21st April 2012, 18:00   #885
BHPian

Hi everybody
Delhi darbar's taste at different locations is definitely different.At Mahim they have 2 takeaways.One serves butterchicken,biryanis etc and other has chinese and tawa dishes.Both are very good in their own way.The tawa one's pappe sandwich(spicy),baida roti and special chicken rolls are awsome.
V16
His name is Ashok and he has been there for years.His addition of chura to the vada pav works wonders.I personally prefer the one opp.Mithibai college because of their chutney.
Regards

Most Viewed