Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2012, 18:16   #886
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hi Issigonis,

irrelevant to this thread but the other night I had amazing baigan bharta at 'The Dhaba' in Claridges @ Surajkund, yeah sister hotel of the Claridges at Aurangzeb road in Delhi. in fact their Dal Makhni was far superior to anything I have had in a long time including Dal Bukhara.

Pitstop on your next trip to Dilli

Claridges Hotel Surajkund | Weekend Special Hotels in Surajkund | Sunday Lunch Restaurants in Surajkund

Coming back to the thread per se, Golden Punjab in sector 17, Vashi used to do a mean Bharta. However, last I ate there is nearly two years ago.
List of places for baigan bharta :

Bombay :
1. Crystal near Wilson College

Delhi/Surajkund :

1. Claridge's Dhaba

khoj,

Have you tried Salim in Kailash Colony Market?
He serves tasty non-veg as well as veg (Indian) food. His is a mixture of mughlai and possibly punjabi cuisine, including soups. However I am talking of a decade ago. But the place is still crowded in the evenings.Also, Anupama in the same market serves excellent thalis ( north Indian vegetarian with onions) - I used to have occasional dinners and even lunches there when I stayed there.

Somehow I do not get the same flavour of Punjabi and Mughlai food that I used to get in Delhi and Lucknow, in Bombay; maybe I am getting old.

Re. Dilli Durbar, I will go with Gogi ji's recommendation - the eateries at Grant Road and near the Gol Masjid.

Re. kababs, elsewhere in this thread he has recommended Qureishi near Sadanand Hotel in the Crawford Market area; once you are here we'll rope in Gogi and have some nice meals in his recommended places.

Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 21st April 2012 at 18:21.
Old 21st April 2012, 19:24   #887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Vadapav is good almost everywher, the degree of "Best"ness depends on the hunger of the person
There can't be a better statement . The best ones i have had in Navi Mumbai is opposite the modern college in Vashi. I think they only sell in the evenings, there is waiting almost always. Must try if you are in Vashi.

There is a Maushi who sells vadapav outside the Sector 6 market, CBD belapur. She is probarbly the rudest Maushi ( lady in marathi ) you would have ever come across, but her vadapavs are the best in this part of the town.
Old 21st April 2012, 19:57   #888
BHPian

Maushi in marathi means Mother's Sister. , Gogiji. spot on, "Best"ness" no better way to describe it.

Vada Pao, the best in my books is the one near Kirti College, between Siddhivinayak and Shivaji Park, long line long wait, you will end up salvation while waiting, but totally worth it. Ashok is his name, he is a little partial towards the fairer sex.
There are some good one outside Andheri Station on the Eastern side.

The kababs are berhambaug in jogeshwari are amazing, I am a pure Veggie, since birth, and yet was super tempted.
Old 22nd April 2012, 00:48   #889
Senior - BHPian

Sir, any one who has grown up in South Delhi knows Salim, after all he is the unofficial inventor of the 'Tikka Roll'. Anupama used to be our hang out place during school days (woah that was 30 years ago).

I agree the food does not taste the same anymore here in Dilli. Problem is everyone pressure cooks and does not marinade properly or long enough.

Yeah let us do the foody trip once I get back to Bombay. It will be fun but right now at quarter to one in the am all this food talk has made me super hungry....

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
khoj,

Have you tried Salim in Kailash Colony Market?
He serves tasty non-veg as well as veg (Indian) food. His is a mixture of mughlai and possibly punjabi cuisine, including soups. However I am talking of a decade ago. But the place is still crowded in the evenings.Also, Anupama in the same market serves excellent thalis ( north Indian vegetarian with onions) - I used to have occasional dinners and even lunches there when I stayed there.

Somehow I do not get the same flavour of Punjabi and Mughlai food that I used to get in Delhi and Lucknow, in Bombay; maybe I am getting old.

Re. Dilli Durbar, I will go with Gogi ji's recommendation - the eateries at Grant Road and near the Gol Masjid.

Re. kababs, elsewhere in this thread he has recommended Qureishi near Sadanand Hotel in the Crawford Market area; once you are here we'll rope in Gogi and have some nice meals in his recommended places.

Regards
Old 22nd April 2012, 11:43   #890
BHPian

Quote:
Sir, any one who has grown up in South Delhi knows Salim,
I agree the food does not taste the same anymore here in Dilli. Problem is everyone pressure cooks and does not marinade properly or long enough.

Yeah let us do the foody trip once I get back to Bombay. It will be fun but right now at quarter to one in the am all this food talk has made me super hungry....
>>>
Re. Salim, never knew he is that famous; thought he was a good local ( read Kailash Colony) eatery/takeaway joint.

I meant food tastes better in Delhi than Bombay . Must be because of the water and the air and that indefinable something which goes into mughlai & punjabi khana.

When are you finally driving here?

Regards
Old 22nd April 2012, 12:45   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy

Where exactly is mt agarwal - from Google maps, it seems to be near J & J - but I haven't seen any vadapav near there - can you give the exact location - is it in one of the in-roads - any other road side eateries you recommend? Is the mt agarwal one a ShivVadaPav stall?
Coming from nirmal lifestyle, take a right at the esis signal, second signal after j & j, n take the first right immediately. You ll find a busy stall to your right between 4pm to 10pm
Old 22nd April 2012, 13:22   #892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Vadapav is good almost everywher, the degree of "Best"ness depends on the hunger of the person
I have but one place amongst these which serves a fantastic Vada Pav. Its bang next to Kirti College off Cadel Road,

....people call him Anand, Mohan and Ashok. He respons to all three but for the record his name is Ashok.
+1 on that...for someone who likes the different type of chatnees this place is the best. His name is Ashok and he will respond to you only when its your turn..lol...but he is one quick guy.

Another spot where one can get good Vada Pav is in the lane opposite the old "Mela" restaurant in worli. The restaurant is now know as "Old Flames". The stall is right behind the Petrol pump in which the Aston Martin service center is currently. He is open only from 3-8PM. He also serves some good mirchi bhajjis.

And ofcource the Mithibai Vada Pav is the best for people who like it with Butter
Old 22nd April 2012, 16:47   #893
Senior - BHPian

I find it the exact opposite.

Dilli is now full of pretentious eateries with jazzy names, snazzy decor, dirty linen, poor crockery, shoddy cutlery, scratched glassware and local car cleaners promoted to dishwashers now pretending to be chefs behind their starched aprons doling unpalatable stuff and calling it gourmet food.

In fact even with raw food as in pulses and masala etc. we prefer stuff coming out of Bombay. During the period when I was regularly travelling between the two cities, I used to regularly carry pulses, papads and dry masalas (remember our sojourn to Crawford market) from Bombay to Dilli.

I will be there hopefully in May, my last chance to buy Hafooz and lug them back to Dilli.

Regards

Quote:
I meant food tastes better in Delhi than Bombay . Must be because of the water and the air and that indefinable something which goes into mughlai & punjabi khana.

When are you finally driving here?

Regards
Old 22nd April 2012, 20:46   #894
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by docaxe View Post
Coming from nirmal lifestyle, take a right at the esis signal, second signal after j & j, n take the first right immediately. You ll find a busy stall to your right between 4pm to 10pm
I went to the area in the morning time today. I found a Vijay Shri Restaurant opp the hospital on the road perpendicular to LBS. It had a vadapav stall as part of the restaurant. It was better than most other vadapav's I have tasted in Mulund. I found a Ganesh Snacks Stall near the Hospital on the road parallel to LBS - that had only Medhu Vada and stuff, but. But since the one you are talking about is there only in the evenings, I will check it out one of the evenings - I am pretty sure I haven't tried it before because I have never come to this road before.

Anyway, in my original post, my point wasn't that Mulund didn't have good places - but that it has tons and tons of bad places - if you randomly go to a place, it's very likely it's not going to be good - which isn't the typical case anywhere in Bombay.
Old 23rd April 2012, 20:19   #895
Senior - BHPian

Wow so much talk on the humble Vada Pav, shows that so many people have and love it. Im one of them, who grew up on this Indian Burger (one can actually ask here, What came first, the Vada PAv or the Burger?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
The kababs are berhambaug in jogeshwari are amazing, I am a pure Veggie, since birth, and yet was super tempted.
If youre a veggie and these Kebabs almost tempted you, this is one place im gonna try for sure.

Quote:
Absolutely bang on. The intervention of the pressure cooker has decreased cooking time but has depreciated the taste factor alarmingly.

Quote:
>>>
Must be because of the water and the air and that indefinable something which goes into mughlai & punjabi khana.
Food up north always tastes better, i agree. I think its the mix of water, soil and the freshness quotient. I dont know anywhere in Bombay where one can chomp at a cart fresh carrot or Raddish with just lemon and masala squeezed over it. The quality just does not exist.

Have eaten at Salims and am not very happy either ther the quality or the Hygiene levels of the place. I rate Delhi directly with the quality of Mutton. If the Mutton served at a place in Delhi is either pressure cooked, boiled and muddled with alleged gravy, tough or rubbery, the place has no business to pretend to be an eatery.
Besides that the caliber of cooks in the north is far superior to the other states, for Punjabi food im saying.

Quote:
I find it the exact opposite.

Dilli is now full of pretentious eateries with jazzy names, snazzy decor, dirty linen, poor crockery, shoddy cutlery, scratched glassware and local car cleaners promoted to dishwashers now pretending to be chefs behind their starched aprons doling unpalatable stuff and calling it gourmet food.

In fact even with raw food as in pulses and masala etc. we prefer stuff coming out of Bombay. During the period when I was regularly travelling between the two cities, I used to regularly carry pulses, papads and dry masalas (remember our sojourn to Crawford market) from Bombay to Dilli.

I will be there hopefully in May, my last chance to buy Hafooz and lug them back to Dilli.

Regards
Agree with the hyped up pseudo places opening every where with a bored and wealthy housewife (or ex housewife) pretending to run the place clothed in fine Italian apparel or absolutely Indian Fab India stuff. That is the level of extremity in Delhi.
I hate the food of most of these noveau chefs who have no passion for food but then there are the stars (Like the Diva Cafe and Diva restaurant).

Actually am quite surprised to learn that actually stuff goes to Delhi from Bombay, I guess lentils etc is understandable but in one has to agree that Papads etc is a more Delhi staple unless you are looking for the Gujarati Khicchi or the South Indian variety

I used to like Aap ki Khatir at Nizamuddin, the older one not the since reloctaed opposite the road one. Great Kormas and Kebabs.

There is a place near Liberty cinema which dished out bbq liver (Patte Daane) and mutton chops. Wow! Dont know if its still there.

Great food is still available at Kake Da Hotel at Cannaught Place and i will visit it always on a trip to Delhi.

I have heard a lot about the Bara Hindu Roa in Old Delhi. I wish someone would guide or take me there when in Delhi.

Unfortunately the patience level has dropped and people will sacrifice good old cooking techniques to the modern instant variety. Not my cup of tea.

Last edited by V-16 : 23rd April 2012 at 20:22.
Old 23rd April 2012, 21:28   #896
BHPian

@ gogiji
Quote:
If youre a veggie and these Kebabs almost tempted you, this is one place im gonna try for sure.
This is the second joint, this family runs. The original is somewhere in Do (2) taki.
The Jogeshwari joint is the "most-hole-in-the-wall-kinda-joint" in behrambaug, the road that connects, SV road towards lokhandwalla.

Last edited by neofromcapone : 23rd April 2012 at 21:34. Reason: grammer
Old 24th April 2012, 00:42   #897
BHPian

Hi everybody
The do taki guy is Nawab and his seekh parathas are great(I havnt eaten there but guys from my club go to eat there.
Hamburgers came before our humble wada pav but I would prefer the latter to the former.
Another place for nonveg is bohri mohalla.No frills, stand and eat
Great place to have ice cream ther isTaj Icecream.It still makes it like they used to make it years back.The sanchas surrounded by ice and salt,a rough and a salty texture,not at all the smooth factorymade.
Bon appetit
Old 24th April 2012, 01:59   #898
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if someone mentioned Ahmed Bhai's in Nerul before. Its an amazing place for Tawa items, bheja, gurda, keema, chicken baida roti, rolls, Raan, Bhuna mutton and Biryani. Location, right opposite to the Nerul Police station.

Can some one suggest some good Kerala and Maharashtrian sea food resturants in CST area ?

Last edited by heavy_foot : 24th April 2012 at 02:01.
Old 24th April 2012, 13:21   #899
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any good eateries in and around Powai?
Old 24th April 2012, 13:22   #900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Guys, any good eateries in and around Powai?

The new Out of the Blue has opened in the Rodas mall...exactly in place of Aura.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks