Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2013, 18:13   #931
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Goa Portuguesa
Absolutely lip smacking wholesome meals, and I say this as a vegetarian!
Second that. Of course its great for non veg food especially sea food but i always order a unique vegetarian dish there which i enjoy, perhaps more than my non vegetarian fare, its" Kaju Tender Coconut Sukhe". If you've not had this here, you havnt eaten!! Its nto the regular Manglorean over-coconut-ted dish. Its fresh tender coconut shards with bits of Cashew cooked beautifully. I would generally avoid anything which has an overdose of dry or dessicated coconut or dry fruits in it....including Paan made this way, but this dish...... Its a marriage made in heaven.

[/quote]The way that the owner promotes himself & the restaurant is too cheesy though. There's pictures of him and the bollywood type pasted everywhere. I heard some of them are photo-shopped . Each table has a book with hundreds of testimonials by politicians, sports personalities etc. Don't pay attention to this pompous show, else you'll end up with a headache. [/quote]

Aw you hit the nail right on the head.

But i doubt they are photoshopped as i know him quite well and have attended his dos very regularly which have a plethora of celebrities visiting his place. I think he has marketed his place beautifully....only i hope he would stop marketing himself as vhemently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_naresh View Post
Hey, V-16, do these shops also stock Amritsari Papads? My chacha used to get some from Beas and I loved those!
Yup, they do. Try Khosla stores (opp zGuru Nanak Sweet Mart) or Satnam stores, near Hardeep Punjab Restaurant. Im sure you will get them therer.
Old 2nd February 2013, 22:54   #932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Spice Lane Restro Bar on Goregaon Mulund Link Rd, Mulund(W) a little after coming from DMart has some very good food quality. Been there recently, the food and ambiance both are worth experience. Service is good too. Tried menu of Kebabs, Hyderabad Biryani, Chicken Handi and Rotis there. Rotis are of wheat, not maida which is very good again. Very friendly on pocket too. 4 adults, 3 kids had very fulfilling meal for 1475/-.

There is nice panwala outside Pooja Restaurant further down if you are looking for it.
Had been to Spice Lane a year back. Tried only Veg food and it was ok. Nothing great.
The billing experience was really bad and we had some over billing issues for which we had to talk to the manager and post that it was removed.

Not a great overall experience :-(
Old 3rd February 2013, 09:11   #933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Had been to Spice Lane a year back. Tried only Veg food and it was ok. Nothing great.
The billing experience was really bad and we had some over billing issues for which we had to talk to the manager and post that it was removed.

Not a great overall experience :-(
Sorry to hear that. Either they must have improved or it must be our lucky day as our 2 families definitely liked could say very good things about it, except some slow delivery issues when we thought they might have actually gone to catch chicken for us from the field.
Old 3rd February 2013, 23:27   #934
BHPian

Hi everybody.
Recently lunched at Oven Fresh Shivaji Park.It wasnt crowded.Food as usual was very good.
I paid the amount and before he took the cash I had a slight doubt.So checked.
We ordered 3 items and the bill had 4 items.Fortunately I checked and pointed it out.
They rectified and gave me a fresh bill.
I have been eating there for 20 years and havnt faced such an issue.
Anybody else experienced it?
Regards
Old 4th February 2013, 09:15   #935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody.
Recently lunched at Oven Fresh Shivaji Park.
We ordered 3 items and the bill had 4 items.Fortunately I checked and pointed it out.
They rectified and gave me a fresh bill.
I have been eating there for 20 years and havnt faced such an issue.
Anybody else experienced it?
Regards
I love this place, been here since the late 90's and never have had any issues. Must have been a one off, no harm in checking though. I check every bill when I eat out. Its like counting money, before paying someone, force of habit I guess.

On the other hand I have seen many Pure Veg fine dining options open up recently, makes it a better choice for veggie fanatics like me

1. Quattro Lower Parel is where I ate, amazing food, Mexican and Italian. Great Ambience too. It is bang opposite High Street Phoenix,

2. 5 Spice near Marine Lines station on the west side.
Old 4th February 2013, 10:01   #936
Senior - BHPian

Goa Portuguesa has opened up at Thane on Ghodbunder Road right next to R-Mall. I know the Matunga one is great, anybody tried out in Thane?

I am searching for a good Udipi restaurant in Thane, cant seem to find one. Any suggestions.
Old 5th February 2013, 09:57   #937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I am searching for a good Udipi restaurant in Thane, cant seem to find one. Any suggestions.
Do you mean good South Indian Restaurants? Banana Leaf @ Korum Mall is good, Sanman Hotel (Udupi)Opp. Cine Wonder, Veg Sizzles @ Hiranandani Meadows also serves good south indian dishes.

Kiran
Old 11th February 2013, 18:59   #938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, V-16, do these shops also stock Amritsari Papads? My chacha used to get some from Beas and I loved those!
Yes they do Naresh. In fact you might just be surprised to find a whole lot of stuff that is unavailable elsewhere. I guess these guys cater to a niche. You may google the number and find out from them to save you the run to and fro if you'd like.
Old 12th February 2013, 00:39   #939
BHPian

Quote:
B_Naresh
Hi
I checked with my wife and she mentioned Satnam at Koliwada.They stock papads,wadis and the regular grocery items.
She has been buying regularly from them.They have home delivery(I stay at Mahim) service,at no extra charge.If there is a minimum she is not aware as my bill is always more than rs 1000.They are closed on mondays.
In case you are interested please PM and I will give you their number.
Regards
Old 12th February 2013, 17:43   #940
Senior - BHPian

Woodland in the building next to TIP TOP. The front has a Bridgestone tyre shop amongst a couple of others. Park in the driveway, the eatery itself is at the far end. Whether it constitutes as a true blue Udupi place is subjective but the owner is definitely from Ududpi. That is 100% confirmed.

Another joint with similar credentials is ShivSagar or is it ShivPrasad. This is on the road in between the Cadbury and Raymond factories. It shares the longish driveway with a private club and if my memory serves me correctly this complex also houses the Thane franchise of 'Mahesh lunch home' on the first floor.

EDIT : Just remembered another joint. This is in Hiranandani Estate. As you enter the complex it is in the first or the second building. The name is 'Ganga' or something, we refer to it as 'canteen' as it is chock full with office goers at breakfast time and call centre crowd during all other hours.

Quote:

Last edited by khoj : 12th February 2013 at 17:47.
Old 13th February 2013, 12:02   #941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Another joint with similar credentials is ShivSagar or is it ShivPrasad. This is on the road in between the Cadbury and Raymond factories. It shares the longish driveway with a private club and if my memory serves me correctly this complex also houses the Thane franchise of 'Mahesh lunch home' on the first floor.

This is SHIV SAGAR @ Vihang's - Pokran Road 1.
Old 14th February 2013, 15:01   #942
Senior - BHPian

Guys any suggestions for a VDay dinner in bandra? Good food a must.
Old 15th February 2013, 09:50   #943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Goa Portuguesa has opened up at Thane on Ghodbunder Road right next to R-Mall. I know the Matunga one is great, anybody tried out in Thane?

Hi ghodlur, the Thane Goa Portuguesa has not opened yet, planned opening is on 1st March. Found it the hard way when we went for Vday dinner there!

On the other hand, the R Central mall next to it is loaded with good joints now. Recently opened up are Jugheads, Northern Tadka and The Peking Tom. All three of them have happy hours from 12pm to 12am! dont know until what date though. Also there is Pop Tates on the Ground floor.

Have tried Northern Tadka and Peking Tom and both have good food and service!
Old 15th February 2013, 10:01   #944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Hi ghodlur, the Thane Goa Portuguesa has not opened yet, planned opening is on 1st March. Found it the hard way when we went for Vday dinner there!
Oh is it? I assumed since the board was up they must have started (they initially started with opening signage).

I tried y'day Hotel Tulsi on the Hirandani Estate-Bhramand link road. Fantabulous I must say (or was it just y'day being V-day). The servings are huge, taste great but a bit more pricey for a Veg restaurant. Have a combinations of oriental/mexican/Italian veg dishes. Can be tried for a change. Sorry no link available.
Old 17th February 2013, 07:27   #945
BHPian

Quote:
I've not seen a decent Udupi restaurant in Thane, that are ubiquitous in Mumbai. Something that comes close is Shivprasad on Ram Maruti Road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks