Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2014, 10:15   #1021
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai

Can we please get the contact detail of the biryani guy Mr. Narain?
Old 12th June 2014, 10:50   #1022
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Visited the Thane Viviana Branch of 'Copper Chimney' and was thoroughly disappointed :(
Yes, Copper Chimney in Thane can be best avoided.

Had been there last week for dinner. The kebabs were a huge let down. Main course was just ok.

Definitely wouldn't suggest this place to anyone.
Old 12th June 2014, 12:38   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Can we please get the contact detail of the biryani guy Mr. Narain?
Sorry, got carried away and forgot to mention the contact details.

Chottu Bhai
Mob: 9892155177

- Make sure you ask him to repeat your order, he is a bit gruff and make sure to reconfirm with him the status of your biryani on the day of the delivery. In the end it is all worth for the biryani he cooks!!
Old 12th June 2014, 13:30   #1024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Visited 'Status' restaurant this Sunday at Marine drive near NCPA. Awesome Gujarati Thali with reasonable rates. The staff is very courteous, only drawback had to wait 45 minutes that too on a Sunday afternoon, speaks volumes about their patronage.

Regards
Dieseltuned
My Sister had come down for a few days from Europe, and on a whim we went to Status. No need to say that she thoroughly enjoyed the food, as did we.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Visited the Thane Viviana Branch of 'Copper Chimney' and was thoroughly disappointed :(
Positives: Nicely done up interiors and ambiance
Negatives: Very Very slow service and the standards of food not yet matching to their Worli branch.

Considering that it is new, may have to give it a miss for a few months until they are inline with what patrons expect from them.
P.S. They are not yet serving alcohol.
We had been to CC Thane on the second day after they opened. Impeccable service, and we loved the food, there was not a single thing that could be remotely called a let down. Perhaps they are not able to maintain their quality for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Sorry, got carried away and forgot to mention the contact details.

Chottu Bhai
Mob: 9892155177

- Make sure you ask him to repeat your order, he is a bit gruff and make sure to reconfirm with him the status of your biryani on the day of the delivery. In the end it is all worth for the biryani he cooks!!
What does this gentleman usually charge for his services? Could you share a ballpark figure?
Old 12th June 2014, 14:04   #1025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
What does this gentleman usually charge for his services? Could you share a ballpark figure?
While we are ordering in office, it is usually by way of contribution with everyone chipping in and since we order a mix of Mutton / Chicken and Veg, I am unfortunately not aware of the charges for Chicken and Veg Biryani.

Individually, I have always ordered Mutton Biryani and that costs me Rs. 500 for a kilo. There are no delivery charges as such and you can settle the same with the "boy" who will delivery your biryani. Since, I am usually very happy, I tend to be generous with the tip!!

Please keep in mind that Rs. 500/- is an indication only and it may vary if you choose to change the meat to rice ratio and also per specific cuts or chops that you may ask for!! I have personally always just ordered the plain simple biryani - no questions asked.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a kilo of biryani will be enough for at least 6-7 hungry people. You will only need to arrange for kuchumber and/or salad - coz the quantity he supplies is very less!
Old 12th June 2014, 15:06   #1026
BHPian

i would suggest Hotel "Sai Palace Garden"
at Mira Road › Western Express Highway, Near Laxmi Baug, Godbunder... opposite Daras Dhabba, The food there is excellent, its my favorite restaurant,
Specially the pastas & Veg Starters are amazing, I am vegetarian but i am sure non veg is equally good too.
on sundays & public holidays there's huge Waiting list so visit accordingly.
There are some huge dogs, rabbits, turkey & some other animals also huge fish tanks for visitors, and a separate playing area, children would definitely love it. Go give it a try & share your experience.

Last edited by Slush_Traveller : 12th June 2014 at 15:09.
Old 29th August 2014, 22:34   #1027
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Which among the Blue Frog & The Barking Deer is good? Have heard a lot about them but never been there. Need to go there on a Sunday afternoon. Looking for decent food & drinks. Also any recommended non-veg dishes ? And i hope there is ample parking there!
Old 30th August 2014, 10:24   #1028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
....And i hope there is ample parking there!
Sorry, parking situation is really bad, though in all truth I have no idea about Sundays as all my experience is over weekdays, when the place is an absoulute mess!
I doubt you will be able to find decent parking space as both are in a small gully. The other option is to park your vehicle under the flyover right out front!
Old 30th August 2014, 19:03   #1029
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Which among the Blue Frog & The Barking Deer is good? Have heard a lot about them but never been there. Need to go there on a Sunday afternoon. Looking for decent food & drinks. Also any recommended non-veg dishes ? And i hope there is ample parking there!

Both have valet parking if that's acceptable to you. Barking deer may have some good beer from their own micro brewery I think. Blue frog is probably posher. Both are nice enough to go to.
Old 9th October 2014, 18:46   #1030
BHPian

Looking out for a good vegetarian breakfast place in Andheri East / Powai / near WE Highway, preferably one that opens by 8am. Not looking at buffet breakfast at the any 5 star hotel. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th October 2014, 19:21   #1031
BHPian

Chole Bature and Samosa Lassi type of breakfast then, Gulati's
https://www.zomato.com/mumbai/gulatis-mahakali

South Indian Idli / Dosa Breakfast - Plenty of Options on the Andheri- Kurla road.

WE highway.
MacDonalds serves their breakfast menu at the Hub Mall on the WE Highway (Goregaon)
This one has a resturant called Balaji and it did serve good food, I am not sure what time they open.
Udipi Vihar near St.Pius off the WE Highway, a little before Goregaon Stn East side

Some options like Ramakrishna Link (south Indian) and Jeevan Link (Maharashtrain specialties) opp Vile Parle Stn East. There are some more in Along this road starting from Vile Parle Station East side going towards the Hanuman Road.

Opp IIT Powai, there was a joint serving south indian breakfast. ( I dont remember, used to go there in 2005-06), There are some outlets in Hiranandani, but been a few years since i used work on that side of town

Hope this helps

Last edited by neofromcapone : 9th October 2014 at 19:23.
Old 11th October 2014, 11:59   #1032
GTO
Team-BHP Support

New places come & go and God knows, there are so many of them.

Few remain classics. Indigo is one of them. From the freshness of the salad, to the richness of the soup and the evergreen ambience....it's simply unbeatable if you talk of taste, quality & experience of food.

Check out their attention to detail on the menu:
A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-indigo.png
Old 11th October 2014, 12:43   #1033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
Chole Bature and Samosa Lassi type of breakfast then, Gulati's
https://www.zomato.com/mumbai/gulatis-mahakali

South Indian Idli / Dosa Breakfast - Plenty of Options on the Andheri- Kurla road.

WE highway.
MacDonalds serves their breakfast menu at the Hub Mall on the WE Highway (Goregaon)
This one has a resturant called Balaji and it did serve good food, I am not sure what time they open.
Udipi Vihar near St.Pius off the WE Highway, a little before Goregaon Stn East side

Some options like Ramakrishna Link (south Indian) and Jeevan Link (Maharashtrain specialties) opp Vile Parle Stn East. There are some more in Along this road starting from Vile Parle Station East side going towards the Hanuman Road.

Opp IIT Powai, there was a joint serving south indian breakfast. ( I dont remember, used to go there in 2005-06), There are some outlets in Hiranandani, but been a few years since i used work on that side of town

Hope this helps
Thanks a ton for suggesting so many options.

I had tried Gulatis but wasn't too impressed with the food. Will check out the other options.

Thanks again.
Old 25th October 2014, 11:35   #1034
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Visited Sigree Global Grill at Malad on Diwali night!
Must say its a slightly better version of Barbeque Nation. The starters were good, there was a welcome drink, had a pizza as well. I personally did not eat much in the main course as my stomach was full just eating the starters & the food did not exactly look interesting. Must advice you guys to save some space for the desserts as there are lots of options! The ambiance was good & it did not get as noisy as i had expected.
The bill came to slightly less than 5k for 5 people, which included a Mocktail for each. One really needs a big appetite to get their moneys worth over here.
Old 25th October 2014, 12:03   #1035
BHPian

The ITC Fortune at Thane (adjacent to Viviana Mall) hosts the Rainbow vegetarian restaurant. The buffet is around INR 615 on weekends and around 550 on weekdays, which excludes any soft drinks/juices. I have eaten there numerous times with family. The ambiance is good, the service prompt.

Love their salads, a mix of traditional and continental, with exotic vegetables, and very fresh crisp taste. There are pickels, good quality olives, and chats to start. There are two to three soups. Generally tend to have two starters max, which I think is on the lower side, especially if one of them is not to ones liking. Their main course is great, tends to have both Continental, Chinese and traditional Indian. The food is not chilly hot, but spiced appropriately. Just like the salads, the Chinese food also tends to get a lot of exotic variety in the vegetables used. The Continental is a couple of dishes max. There is generally a live counter with one additional assortment. The deserts are a mix of traditional liquids and dry sweets, pastries, continental preparations and fruits.

All in all a good place to be with family.

Most Viewed