Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2007, 10:14   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Lebanese Point had a branch in Bandra where Subway is right not. They had some really nice shawarma.
Yes - now shut shop. I heard they were planning to shut down the Lokhandwala one too ! Any udates ?

My favourites -

1) China Gate in Bandra
2) Lamba as you all know
3) Orchids (at Chembur)
4) Raj and Vig - 2 rundown joints in Chembur camp - cheap booze and simply awesome non veg food.
5) Stadium Resturant - The Irani joint outside Churchgate station. Kheema pav and chai - BLISS !!
6) Mahesh Lunch home
7) Rajdhani for its homely Thali's for a change from non-veg food.
8) Baghdadi's - used to love the food there. havent been there in a long time now. Anyone has an update ?

Will add more as I remember.

Ishaan,

I found out of the Blue totally bakwaas as far as food is concerned. The ambeince is nice but the place is pretty hyped up.

Bade Miyan and Ayub's are another classic example of hyped up places.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 26th May 2007 at 10:18.
Old 26th May 2007, 10:18   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
6) Mahesh Lunch home

I'm honored but will also sue for illegal use of my brand name
Old 26th May 2007, 10:32   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Thought as much.
I was in Bosco's too. Actually when I met you at the meet I thought I'd seen you before. Couldn't place you though. must be in school. The only other Boscoite I know on this forum is GTO. Which batch were you? I go a long way back, because back then when I used to have Pav Bhaji and masala pav at Classic it used to be called Dimple!
Dude I was in Bosco's too much before Classic came into being... It was called dimple and had a students book stall near it which houses an ice cream shop now.came up near me. Class of 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian View Post
A small Goan eatery in Colaba has become a pilgrimage place for me... HAVE to visit it once whenever i'm in Bombay...

Name/Location - New Martin's Lunch Home / Off Colaba Causeway
Average Cost - Rs 48 is the max. for a dish. Average 35/-
Food - Goan
Service - 5 tables, 2 waiters... adequate
Ambience - Yes
Conclusion - Check out Steak Onion & Chips, Pork Vindaloo and Pork Sorpotel... perhaps the best steak I've ever had (and believe me, I've had a lot )
Martins always had Excellent food..Always try the sausage chilli fry for authenticity of a goan place.
This place is opp what used to be Strand Cinema and speaking of that area why has no one mentioned Paradise Cafe for the BESTEST chicken rolls in the world. Their Mayonnaise is awesome...sweet and awesome...

@ Ported - Manis always was a small restaurant and there was no problem as there is none now, re the municipality , u must have the place mixed up for some other place. Yes they do serve in your car but thats coz the restaurant is always too damn full. Madras Cafe is my favourite tough.

Thanks guys for all those who recommended Pritam. By the way there is Shewarma there too, voted best by the Indian Express Survey(Ahem! Ahem!) and this survey was not paid for by the management

Olympia at colaba is a personal favourite. Delhi Darbar is good but too oily for my taste. Their Biryani tough good is dripping in oil.

What about Kobe at Hughes Rd for Sizzlers guys, this guys an institution but his other branches (he has four now) are not the same.

@ Moralfibre - Madras Cafe is on the Kings Circle and Bhaudaji Rd junction. Just reash kings circle and ask anyone

@ Normally Crazy and Scooby - You bet guys, Bade miyan is DIRTY and overrrrated but Ayubs is better if you can get him to skip all the chuneys in the roll

Im getting hungry guys and ive just come from dinner at a frinds place in Toronto....Yum Yum

Last edited by V-16 : 26th May 2007 at 10:39.
Old 26th May 2007, 10:36   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Is Martins in line with Mondegar by any chance on the same road?
Do you know a pastry shop on the causeway called Theobroma? Martin's is in the galli opposite that...
Old 26th May 2007, 10:50   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Mahesh, hope they dont sue you, they were they were there before u were born.

Try HARISH off Mint Road in one of the by gullis
Also
City Kitchen for awesome Goan food situated before Bharat Excellency(another overrated place)
Brittania at Ballad Estate is famous for it Berry Biryani which is according to me all crap. What is great is their Kheema Biryani and Boti Pullao. Try that. and the best Caramel Custard in the world. Caution: when u go there, hold the custard,it may not be there when u finish and tell him to hold two minimun. I eat atleast two.One more thing, it shuts shop at 3.30p.m. (yes i know its wierd) and is open only for breakfast and lunch. I think it is shut on Sundays too.

@ Dippy - no nowhere there. You take a left to go towards Radio Club from Colaba Causeway and then take the immediate first right. Its right there on the corner. Third shop on the right maybe. Keep your eyes open or ull miss the place

Last edited by V-16 : 26th May 2007 at 10:55.
Old 26th May 2007, 10:54   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Mahesh Lunch home

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
You need to sue your parents first if they named you "Lunch Home".
Old 26th May 2007, 10:58   #112
Senior - BHPian

Anyone tried JAY Sandwich stall outside National College in Bandra ? Amazing sandwiches and burgers. Update on this anyone please?
Old 26th May 2007, 11:04   #113
Team-BHP Support

Anyone tried the Chicken tangdi kabab at Pal fish corner in Bandra.

EDIT: B&T the Right place is Veg and brilliant for sandwiches.

Last edited by moralfibre : 26th May 2007 at 11:06.
Old 26th May 2007, 11:04   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Anyone tried JAY Sandwich stall outside National College in Bandra ? Amazing sandwiches and burgers. Update on this anyone please?
I'm not a big fan of sandwiches, so no clue about that. But I do dig into the occassional sev-laced sandwich at the corner of Opera House (A. Gokhale Street). Thats pretty nice.

For the Veg Cheese Grilled variety, I cant think of any place better than Right Place at Breach Candy. The one at Haji Ali Juice Center is also nice, though not made with the same jumbo-sized slice bread.

My absolute favorite burger is a KFC Zinger. The Mc Filet O Fish is a close second.
Old 26th May 2007, 11:05   #115
BHPian

Quote:
There's this juice center opposite Voodoo's bar, cant remember the name, but the Shawarma is excellent.
"MODERN CAFE "

i get britania to send me 2-3 caramel custards to office once in a while ...... and i dont even like caramel custard !!!!
Old 26th May 2007, 11:05   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That was a good one Buddy!!

@ Monkey - u got it bud! even i dont like caramel custard but theirs is great...and best , very cold

Ever try the Kheema @ Yorks at hughes rd, diagonally opp the Merc Showroom? Superb but hav'nt been there recently

guys many have been talking about the various Sheetals. Let me clarify certain things. There are four sheetal name sharers. The original Khar one, at the end of the Tel Exchange rd more on the opening of S V Road.
Then the next was Sheetal Samundra which was at Juhu which is now shut and gone to make way for a huge star hotel coming up in that place and beyond
Then there was Sheetal Bukhara also at the Khar Tel Exc road but at the beggining of the road at Linking road which has no relation with, or too the other two sheetals but has good food nonetheless.
and the Vegetarian Sheetal Arch which is on Linking Road. This one and the Bukhara are owned by two brothers.

Also try Ananth Ashram - at Khotachi Wadi in Girgaum for great maharashtrian food
and

Prakash at Shivaji Park in line with the Sena Bhavan just ahead maybe 50 meters away on the road towards Portuguese Church. Veggies will bless me fo rthe best Poha, Kothimbir Wadi and Dalimbi Usal this side of Maharashtra

Last edited by V-16 : 26th May 2007 at 11:08.
Old 26th May 2007, 13:19   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Thanks guys for all those who recommended Pritam. By the way there is Shewarma there too, voted best by the Indian Express Survey(Ahem! Ahem!) and this survey was not paid for by the management
Hmm... gotta try them this time around, remember to remind me Gogi bhai!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Mahesh, hope they dont sue you, they were they were there before u were born.
Quote:
ROFLMAO
Old 26th May 2007, 13:30   #118
Senior - BHPian

Heck, even I didn't know Pritam serves Shwarmas. Must admit, it's been a while since I've been there although its a stone's throw from home and office both. Looks like I'll be paying a visit very soon.

Gogi Sir, what happened to Great Punjab? I used to go there very long time back (>15 years), and have a memory of the food being decent, but I went recently, and its not even close to the same. Actually, its been a long time since I've enjoyed good Punjabi food in the Dadar/ Matunga/ Sion area. Peninsula, Suyog and other Manglorean owned Punjabi joints just dont cut it.

Bosco 1980 batch, I think I enrolled for Jr. KG that year.
Old 26th May 2007, 13:33   #119
Senior - BHPian

B&T

Even i havent been to great Punjab in a while. I used to like their food though. They have a branch in bandra too I guess

You enrolled in 1980 when did u pass out?
Old 26th May 2007, 13:36   #120
Senior - BHPian

Malvani food fans can check out "raju Komdi Vada" at gokhale rd dadar west outside Sachin hotel

He opens at 8 pm and has a few tables and chairs laid out. The Chicken and malvani vadas are to die for not to mention the seafood. Gulp it down with a glass of chilled sol kadi

Most Viewed