Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2007, 11:04   #136
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Am surprised no one mentioned Aurus in Juhu? Yeah, the food is alright but the ambience is to die for! By the ocean, wind in your hair and candle-lit tables. I hear the deserts are great but havent / cant try them (only eggless for me).
Old 29th June 2007, 14:39   #137
Senior - BHPian

Sahara Star

Has anyone been to the new Sahara Star, previously the Airport Centaur?

Very beautiful place with natural landscaping. There are artificial ponds and some palm trees inside the huge central atrium, and the rooms are only at the periphery forming a circle. All rooms have a balcony that opens into the atrium so the guests can sit in their balcony while sipping a drink and watch what is going on in the atrium which will be used for shows/ events etc. The view from rooms at the higher levels is fabulous.

For shows, the stages rise from under the water. There is also a circular aquarium in the center where at regular intervals a diver goes in to feed the fishes. In the center of this aquarium is a special dining section for small private dinners and seats 10. All the walls of this section is formed by the aquarium and there is water and fishes all around. Unlike Sheetal, you cant pick a fish and ask them to fry it for you though.

Of all that I have tried there, the food is simply excellent. All restaurants are not yet operational, and I have just tried the Indian food on almost all occassions, but I hear they're starting a Mediterranean restaurant and I just can't wait. There is a very beautiful bar on the first level, I think its called the High Bar.

When it isn't raining, cars are handed over to the valet right near the gate and golf carts will take you to the lobby entrance.
Old 29th June 2007, 14:47   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Went to Diva Maharashtracha yesterday. Its next to Goa Portugesa/Culture Curry and is owned by the same owners.

As the name suggests its all Maharashtrian food, I had some pretty nice Mutton curry with some of the best chapatis ever.

worth a try
Which did you try the Tambda or the Pandra rassa? They're both good you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Has anyone been to the new Sahara Star, previously the Airport Centaur?

Very beautiful place with natural landscaping. There are artificial ponds and some palm trees inside the huge central atrium, and the rooms are only at the periphery forming a circle. All rooms have a balcony that opens into the atrium so the guests can sit in their balcony while sipping a drink and watch what is going on in the atrium which will be used for shows/ events etc. The view from rooms at the higher levels is fabulous.

For shows, the stages rise from under the water. There is also a circular aquarium in the center where at regular intervals a diver goes in to feed the fishes. In the center of this aquarium is a special dining section for small private dinners and seats 10. All the walls of this section is formed by the aquarium and there is water and fishes all around. Unlike Sheetal, you cant pick a fish and ask them to fry it for you though.

Of all that I have tried there, the food is simply excellent. All restaurants are not yet operational, and I have just tried the Indian food on almost all occassions, but I hear they're starting a Mediterranean restaurant and I just can't wait. There is a very beautiful bar on the first level, I think its called the High Bar.

When it isn't raining, cars are handed over to the valet right near the gate and golf carts will take you to the lobby entrance.
Yeah Ive been there a couple of times for private parties. dont know if the restaurants are open for the general public but the ambience is like never seen before. I think its one of the best made hotels in recent times in India(from the Inside). The food at one of the parties was strictly so-so and on the other occasion i did'nt eat anything so i dont know. Still i think a new place should be given a few weeks befroe grading them as they all have teething problems to deal with. Two of the most over rated places are Royal China, and the new place at Express Towers, what ever its called Wang Wok or Wong Wang or something like that.
Old 29th June 2007, 15:18   #139
Team-BHP Support

Anyone tried Malvani Gazali? I am not sure about the location but have heard many praises from close relatives in VileParle.
Old 29th June 2007, 15:32   #140
Senior - BHPian

Yep Gazalee is very famous. They have a branch near my office at Andheri and at Phoenix Mills too.
Old 29th June 2007, 15:34   #141
Senior - BHPian

How expensive is Don Giovanni's?
Old 29th June 2007, 15:43   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Yep Gazalee is very famous. They have a branch near my office at Andheri and at Phoenix Mills too.
Exact address please Dippy . Any specials to try there?
Old 29th June 2007, 15:48   #143
Senior - BHPian

Gazalee at Parle is on Hauman Road. Just ask anyone. The Andheri one is in MIDC, a lane away from my office.

I like the stuffed Bombil out there. Fried Bombil is too common a dish. Used to like the tandoory crabs. They show you live ones and you can choose. Though these days they are very pricey. Jumbos prawns are yummy too. Liked the prawn pickle and fish biriyani as well. Cant comment on veggie stuff

And oh drown it all down will chilled glasses of sol kadi

Overall nice place but become pretty expensive these days.
Old 29th June 2007, 15:54   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Yeah Ive been there a couple of times for private parties. dont know if the restaurants are open for the general public but the ambience is like never seen before. I think its one of the best made hotels in recent times in India(from the Inside). The food at one of the parties was strictly so-so and on the other occasion i did'nt eat anything so i dont know. Still i think a new place should be given a few weeks befroe grading them as they all have teething problems to deal with.
I spotted you at one of the parties actually, cant remember which one. Can one can judge the food quality of a place from their party buffet spread? I thought all catering jobs are average compared to the regular stuff. The food was ok at the buffet, you're right. But I had some a la carte recently that went down well with my taste buds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16
Two of the most over rated places are Royal China, and the new place at Express Towers, what ever its called Wang Wok or Wong Wang or something like that.
Never been to the Express Towers place, but man, that China House is huuuuuuuge. Do you call it over rated from their food point of view? Cos I've never had dinner there so I wouldn't know. Seen their restaurant section and it looked pretty swell with all the see through kitchen sections right next to the tables. As for the drinks, I thought it was good. I mean, how wrong can someone go with popping open a bottle of Fosters. The sugar coated walnuts make for great bitings though.
Old 29th June 2007, 16:06   #145
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Dippy. A visit is due next time I am in Bombay.
Old 29th June 2007, 16:17   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Thanks Dippy. A visit is due next time I am in Bombay.
Let me know whenever. I'm always ready for food
Old 29th June 2007, 16:54   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Exact address please Dippy . Any specials to try there?
Try the prawn pickle and the prawn biryani. And dont you two go there without me Still the Ville Parle one is the best.
There is a small place at Parel in one of the gallis, run by a family, its called Trupti. The best Mutton and Teesri masala i've had in any such restaurant with piping Hot Bhakris. Any one coming?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
I spotted you at one of the parties actually, cant remember which one. Can one can judge the food quality of a place from their party buffet spread? I thought all catering jobs are average compared to the regular stuff. The food was ok at the buffet, you're right. But I had some a la carte recently that went down well with my taste buds.

Never been to the Express Towers place, but man, that China House is huuuuuuuge. Do you call it over rated from their food point of view? Cos I've never had dinner there so I wouldn't know. Seen their restaurant section and it looked pretty swell with all the see through kitchen sections right next to the tables. As for the drinks, I thought it was good. I mean, how wrong can someone go with popping open a bottle of Fosters. The sugar coated walnuts make for great bitings though.
Yeah? shucks man both the parties I went too were good. I ate at Jimmy's party. you're right, the food of a place cannot be judged by its buffet spread coz sometimes its actually better than what they regularly serve. The place and the setting was awesome tough, specially the seafood restaurant around the fish tank.
I was talking about Royal China not China House as ive not been there. Royal China is at VT where Caravan Restaurant used to be and now its at Bandra, Turner road where China White used to be. What I mean by overrated is that people go overboard with their praises about the "Authenticity" and all that bull only to find that the waiters are a rude lot and the service (what service, they just dump the food on the table and refuse to serve you) is non existant. The prices overbearingly exhorbidant. Want to spend that much, go to The Golden Dragon at the Taj, by far the best Chinese in the city. A close next is Pan Asian at the ITC Grand Maratha at Sahar.

Who has been to Prakash at Shivaji Park, near Sena Bhavan? Awesome Dalimbi Usal, Bhajni Vade, Pohe, Patal Bhaji with Puri. I love the stuff.

Last edited by V-16 : 29th June 2007 at 17:00. Reason: addition
Old 29th June 2007, 17:03   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I was talking about Royal China not China House as ive not been there. Royal China is at VT where Caravan Restaurant used to be and now its at Bandra, Turner road where China White used to be. What I mean by overrated is that people go overboard with their praises about the "Authenticity" and all that bull only to find that the wiaters are a rude lot and the service (what service, they just dump the food on the table and refuse to serve you) is non existant. The prices overbearingly exhrbidant.
Oops, my mistake. I know Royal China and have been there a few times. I found the Dim Sums absolutely divine. Didn't have a service issue probably since I went with a friend who knows the owners. The Dim Sums weren't very expensive, but I guess then that the main course works out to quite a bit.
Old 29th June 2007, 17:10   #149
Senior - BHPian

We were 10 of us and we paid an obscene amount for dinner without drinks and dessert that is. To top it all, the Valet banged up one of our cars.
The food was dumped and they have these huge golden spoons on the table which we were curtly told by the wiater, should be used to put our food on our plate. they made us sit at a corner where the guy was passing plates to the first diner to be handed down (by us in succession) to the last diner. Even I know the owner very well, in fact my cousin is married to him (ever heard Punju-Chini Bhai Bhai). All this attitude puts me off man. Im tha last one to create a problem in the restaurant. I did complain to the owner when leaving and he came to the car apologizing, which was more embarrasing but i know this was not a one off case, it has happened to a lot, lot many persons i know, so Im not going back there.

Last edited by V-16 : 29th June 2007 at 17:11.
Old 29th June 2007, 17:29   #150
Senior - BHPian

Ever tried the chicken at Nando's?! Its awesome, personally had the mild flavor. Also like the pasta's from Bombay Blues.

Most Viewed