Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2007, 18:17   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Two of the most over rated places are Royal China, and the new place at Express Towers, what ever its called Wang Wok or Wong Wang or something like that.
Its WongVong paaji. And i do partly agree with you that it is a little over-rated. But the ambience and the food is darn good. Its not the best, but one of the best Chinese available in our city.

X
Old 29th June 2007, 18:24   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine View Post
Its WongVong paaji. And i do partly agree with you that it is a little over-rated. But the ambience and the food is darn good. Its not the best, but one of the best Chinese available in our city.

X
yeah i got confused with the name... the ambience is great agreed but maybe the day i went was'nt their best day... anways will still give it a few trys cause as i said, must give a new place to get their bearings right.
I like Japengo tough, food and ambience and they are never crowded to the hilt (maybe coz they dont serve liquor). Love sitting at their japanese table on the first floor.
has anyone been to Moti Mahal at Inox?? .

Last edited by V-16 : 29th June 2007 at 18:26.
Old 29th June 2007, 18:58   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
has anyone been to Moti Mahal at Inox?? .
Yup. And it is bad!! Thier tables are also kind of uncomfortable. Would prefer not to go there again.

Also forgot to mention Gupta's at Cuffe's. They have the most appetising variety of corns available. Just too good. Perfect for this season.

X
Old 29th June 2007, 20:32   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
How expensive is Don Giovanni's?
the pizzas are around 350-400 for 12"s
Old 29th June 2007, 20:40   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Gazalee at Parle is on Hauman Road. Just ask anyone. The Andheri one is in MIDC, a lane away from my office.

I like the stuffed Bombil out there. Fried Bombil is too common a dish. Used to like the tandoory crabs. They show you live ones and you can choose. Though these days they are very pricey. Jumbos prawns are yummy too. Liked the prawn pickle and fish biriyani as well. Cant comment on veggie stuff

And oh drown it all down will chilled glasses of sol kadi

Overall nice place but become pretty expensive these days.
I hear the one at MIDC and Phoenix mills isnt as good as the original one.

The original one is near the Domestic Airport, on the road opposite the airport, enter the bylane and turn left at the Hanuman Mandir, Keep going straight and theres Gazalee.

The one near the airport also has Non AC seating(if you can bear the heat) which is a lot cheaper than sitting inside
Old 30th June 2007, 00:21   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
the pizzas are around 350-400 for 12"s
I had been a long time ago to this restaurant and was amazed with the food. very good but very very heavy. Then i took some friends and the food was crap. Then I went again and once more. These times the food was just edible. The worst part was we ordered the same thing four times that ive been there and twice it didnt even look the same, forget tasting the same. Im not going again. Its also pricy for a restaurant of its size. Another thing that irritates me is a sign I think on the menu or somewhere which says he will not Indianise his dishes or something to that effect but in a much ruder manner. I forget what the exact words were.
Old 30th June 2007, 00:28   #157
Senior - BHPian

Gazaalee was good till say a couple of years agao. Now its strictly OK. The food has become bland and that is precisely what I do not like. The size of fishes and prawns become smaller with the rates hitting the roof.

The Andheri MIDC one is better than the one at Phoenix IMO. The original at Vile Parle is the best in quality of food. I love the prawns biryani there.
Old 30th June 2007, 16:48   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another thing that irritates me is a sign I think on the menu or somewhere which says he will not Indianise his dishes or something to that effect but in a much ruder manner. I forget what the exact words were.
The first page of the menu is about how the fod isnt Indianised as the chef believes his customers will want to try authentic Italian food and not an Indian version.

The owner was in the news a few years ago when he decided to ban children from the restaurant after a kid running around in his restaurant banged into a waiter who was carrying hot soup that just about missed the kid.
Old 30th June 2007, 17:02   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
The first page of the menu is about how the fod isnt Indianised as the chef believes his customers will want to try authentic Italian food and not an Indian version.

The owner was in the news a few years ago when he decided to ban children from the restaurant after a kid running around in his restaurant banged into a waiter who was carrying hot soup that just about missed the kid.
Not that ive got anything against the owner but when he was running another Italian restaurant called Ai Trulli at where Nish Restaurant was, i had visited it and he got into an argument with me as i wanted some Bacon in my pasta and my freind wanted the spice in a particular dish toned down. He went on and on about why he could and would not do it, very unconvincingly. Till I told him that if he was'nt going to give me food how i wanted it, i might just about leave. Only then he agreed. The problem was he was'nt attending us till he realised we would leave the place if we wer'nt given a reason why he could not tone the spices down in a dish or add a particular thing to it. Then he comes to the table and tries to teach us about what italian food is.... what a looser!!I know what im talking about food so i was not being unreasonable. Theres also a polite way of saying no. His problem is that he thinks no end of himself and would readily insult a diner. If hes in India, he should do like the Indians do or go back to where he came from. Hes a curt, pompous and brash old man. Thats around the same time when he banned kids in his earlier place too..what happened?...he had to shut shop!! Its not like hes a fine dining place, its a trattoria. I cant stand people with an attitude and that ive told him on his face. HE was shocked and suddenly went mild after that. People have to be shown their place and if anyone comes to india and talks/thinks low about indians, hes gonna hear from me.
Old 30th June 2007, 17:40   #160
Senior - BHPian

Khanak - Is Saffron Spice that good ? Its always packed and has a minimum waiting of 20-30 minutes. The couple of times I have eaten there, I have been unimpressed. The waiters are lethargic, the service slow and a couple of dishes are nice. So what is it that gets the crowd in there , even on weekdays ?
Old 30th June 2007, 18:07   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Khanak - Is Saffron Spice that good ? Its always packed and has a minimum waiting of 20-30 minutes. The couple of times I have eaten there, I have been unimpressed. The waiters are lethargic, the service slow and a couple of dishes are nice. So what is it that gets the crowd in there , even on weekdays ?
Nope, I tried Saffron Spice a couple of times when it first opened up but was always dissapointed. I guess its always packed since its one of the only decent sit down restaurants in Powai besides yokos and Rodas. Popular with the office crowd.Theyre also opening up another branch in MIDC so I guess some people really love their food.

Last edited by khanak : 30th June 2007 at 18:19.
Old 30th June 2007, 18:11   #162
Senior - BHPian

Ate at Zaffran in near crawford market today, Had the Zaffrani Tikka, Butter chicken and butter naans.Excellent food which somehow had a very different touch to it as compared to the other Mughlai food iv had. The chicken pieces used in the kabas are HUGE and really tender. At 175 for a plate of 8 kababs it also offers really good VFM. The best thing about Zaffran is that its open till 4, so next time after a night out, head to Zaffran instead of Bade Miya/Ayubs
Old 30th June 2007, 18:21   #163
Senior - BHPian

Rodas has gone down in quality too. The prices have really hit the ceiling and the food quality has suffered. The service is slow too but their buffet at the Continental place on the ground floor is VFM. The Pan Asian place above is strictly ok.
Old 30th June 2007, 18:36   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Rodas has gone down in quality too. The prices have really hit the ceiling and the food quality has suffered. The service is slow too but their buffet at the Continental place on the ground floor is VFM. The Pan Asian place above is strictly ok.
Try the SriLankan coconut curry chicken and the Chicken tikkas there. The rest of the food is OK. As for VFM, @250 for the Srilankan curry and rice it isnt all that bad.The best thing about Parabola is that its open 24 hours. btw Rodas is doubling in size, the construction work next to Haiko is for an extension of Rodas which means more restaurants. Also the land opposite Rodas might be used for a 5 star hotel which means.....even more restaurants
Old 5th September 2007, 16:38   #165
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Serious recommendation for Indian food lovers. Took my folks to Gallops at the Mahalaxmi race course....excellent food, well-priced drinks and a superb ambience. The service was amongst the best I have experienced in Bombay.

When its not raining, you can sit out in the open and enjoy the breeze.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks