Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2008, 18:46   #256
Senior - BHPian

Any good places between Malad and Bhayandar????
Old 13th February 2008, 20:15   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Any good places between Malad and Bhayandar????
Dara's Dhaba ?

Manson keeps raving about it - I don't know why !
Old 13th February 2008, 21:16   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Dara's Dhaba ?

Manson keeps raving about it - I don't know why !
Apart from that! Its just 5 mins from my place
Old 13th February 2008, 22:47   #259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Its still open Akshay. A stone's throw away from my house.
Really? The one next to the kabutar khana?
Old 13th February 2008, 22:55   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
You like south indian food?
Old 13th February 2008, 22:57   #261
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
You like south indian food?
Yeah. I like dosas etc. Lol.
Old 14th February 2008, 14:07   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Oh ok you are talking about that sunders. This one Im talking about is the one opp ruia college
Old 6th March 2008, 14:40   #263
BHPian

Pastries anyone??

Hmm Pastries anybody!!! reason for writing this is becasue just happened have atleast a big chocolate cake with vanilla ice-cream from 5Spice called as MISSION IMPOSSIBLE. The name was given because the cake is actually very big ( dont know the weight but looks big), never came across such a big dessert on the menu card. Priced at Rs.170 enough for 3 people, but managed it almost alone, cos the other eaters could not even put a dent on it LOLS.

Love this one particular dessert at hard rock cafe dont really remember the name. it is served in a big Glass with 3 nice pieces for chocolate brownie with nuts, chocolate sauce and an Ice cream i.e. vanilla.

Theobroma : more of a dessert destination at Colaba causeway. Love almost all the desserts , but personal favourite is Chocolate OPIUM!! Yummmm Slurrppppp.

Chocolate mousse at candies, Cafe mondegar (sold out in the 1st half of the day)

barista: Dark temptation!! lovely dark chocolate pastry!!

contribution from other BHPIANs! Gogi, Manaa, akshay, N_C and others... i want to know more about desserts!! Dont have a Sweet tooth but have a good set of sweet teeth
Old 6th March 2008, 16:02   #264
Senior - BHPian

I see Sohail, that you are partial to Chocolate based or infused desserts.
Dessert has always been my forte so i will risk a small note from my side.
Ill call it "Sweet Encounters"

Starting with the most humble Creme Caramel aka Caramel Custard at Brittania at Ballard Estate (the one at George's at Poona comes close). The same can not be said about their once popular food which has sadly deteriorated. In many other smaller places like Olympia and the sort, the caramel custard is made from a packet whose powdered ingredients are emptied into a pre-portioned amount of milk and hey instant dessert...of the YUCK kind. I will differentiate the packaged one from the true blue any day, with just a look.

Moving on to a simple Bread pudding at Citi Cafe on Worli Naka. Satdium at Churchgate would serve a decent one to but i have not been there in a while...a long while since I passed out of Govt. Law College. way back.

Jump opposite from there to the K Rustoms Icecream shop which has been dishing out rectangular slices of the most variable ice cream flavours since I can remember. One must try their "Sweet Curd" set in a small tea glass. Not too more of the sugar and not too less. They will also give you a Honeydew Meon Ice cream (Kharbuja) which I suggest you try if you are a fruit fan.

Take a direct stop at Moshes or Basilico. These two eateries have a large variety of pies and cheese cakes for all. Both these earlier, used to get their desserts outsourced from the same bakery. I do not know about the present. I will quickly give the frozen Cheese Cakes available there a miss as they are all done to death (especially the Blue Berry) and are not my prefered desserts.
Here one must try the Walnut Honey Tart. Ask the steward to warm a portion of it and serve it with a dollop of Vanilla Ice cream. Instant Heaven!!.
Moshe's also serves what is called a Molten Chocolate (Sohail please note) which is a type of self saucing pudding one gets in the UK. It will take around 10 minutes to bake and you are presented with a cupcake sized dessert set in a ramekin or a foil mould. You take a spoon of this crusted wonder to reveal a soft gooey and HOT center which you can relish with again Vanilla Ice cream. Please be careful as it is very very hot.Its a chocolate lovers orgasm.
The Trattoria at President serves a similar dessert called the Cappuccino Tart but that is not as liquidy as this one and tastes like coffee, obviously true to its name. It is served with a cashew ice cream. Also recommended.

Avoid all the other humdrum eateries and head to Indigo at Colaba. They serve a mean Tart Tatin if you can get one before the next table. A small, almost flan like flat pastry shell filled in with syrup and sliced apples on top neatly layered like a fan and baked crisp. If you microwave it you'll kill it. It has to be baked.

To satisfy my quick sweet cravings I simply hop on to ant Mcdonald's and order a large serving of the Chocolate Sundae. Pay a Rs. 15/- for an extra serving of their delicious chocolate fudge sauce and you walk out a happy man without a dent in your wallet

I was told that Mocca serves the most amazing desserts but they do not pass my test. The Avalanche is HHHuge but i dont like its taste, Quality should supersede quantity. I am not recommending it or any other dessert there but if some of you like it, go ahead and enjoy.

Gallops at the race course, Mahalaxmi serves a great Fruit Tart. A medium sized, baked/warmed (not microwaved) in an oven short crust pastry filled with apples, raisins and cinnamon. Moist and hot. Also have with Vanilla icecream.

Zaffran at Crawford Market is another dessert destination. Overcome your urge to choose thh desserts from the display and order Indian desserts here. The Chenna Payesh is to kill for. You will get a huge helping and if you're a pig like me, you'll order another much to the chagrin of the person accompanying you and not even want to share it.

At The Hard Rock Cafe you order the Cheese Cake. It is the baked variety how the cheese cake should be. Avoid the strawberry or other sauce the steward will recommend and just have it plain jane, with ice cream. Request him to warm it for you for a few seconds. This dramatically enhances its taste. Someone with me did order that dessert which Sohail was mentioning earlier about but i was busy digging in the cheese cake to even notice the other things on the table.

Drive directly to Sion Circle and stop at Guru Kripa. Besides the Singer ki Mithai they also serve decent Gulab Jamun. One has to make sure its hot else they will dish out a cold one to you and kill your desire. But I do not venture there for either of these. What i have here is very unusual and a concoction of my own. I order a plate of plain curd and ask him to top it with a thick syrupy sweet sauce/chutney that he usually puts on the Dahi Wada. trust me its fantastic. This chutney has a hint of Aesofotida or Hing in it making i very piquant and unusual.

If you guys have stopped laughing, ill continue.....

Take a trip to the suburbs now which is largely undiscovered by me but i do get around.

I will head directly to the lane off Linking Road into the Khar telephone exchange galli, past Sheetal Bukhara and head straight down the lane just before Sheetal Restaurant, on your right is Tharu Sweets which serves a great Singer ki Mithai or Sev Barfi same as Guru Kripa. The Gulab Jamun here is also super good (no, the one at Kailash Parbat does not even come close, hence ive given that eatery a miss)

Avoiding Olive drive down to Out of The Blues situated in the rear of Olive restaurant at Union Park, Bandra. This, incidentally, is the place to choose from the display and order. I have tried a few things here and they have some good chocolate I am told. Not being a chocolate fan I usually stay away from these fancy ones except the humble chocolate cake and icecream. The cake must be moist. I will not bite into a dry cake.

Of recent I was invited to a team mates house for dinner and for dessert we had the most delectable brownies fro Brownie Point or Corner They are the same guys who have kiosks at theaters and will serve you a hot brownie with ice cream and chocolate sauce..all during the interval. Do try their Twix brownie and Mars brownie. These contain the very chocolates incorporated n the brownie mix. Delicious

There are others which I have not added as they are quite well known like Kapoor's Kulfi at Chowpatty, The Sitafal and other fruit creams at Haji Ali Juice Centre and others. Lets bring out the unusual or the unknown in this thread.

I used to go to Pot Pourri a lot but have not been there of late.Is it still functioning?
Please add on guys.
Im drooling and need a sweet break.

Last edited by V-16 : 6th March 2008 at 16:06.
Old 6th March 2008, 16:02   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Oh ok you are talking about that sunders. This one Im talking about is the one opp ruia college
Where is shri sunders opposite ruia....there is DPs and behind DPs is maneesh the best south indian breakfast in mumbai.....i was regular there when in ruia.....
Old 6th March 2008, 16:18   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Gogi you are a sick man lol
Old 6th March 2008, 16:28   #267
BHPian

Gogi sir !!! Ul be damned for writing this by all the bhpians who are willing to stop all sweet encounters and hit the gym or go on a diet. You already have a fan for your food knowledge around the city (and so i SMS u everytime asking for good food) hehe.

Oh yeah other than chocolates, i like everything which is sweet, be it fruit, cake, shakes, juices just anything under the sun. Even the Bun maska with sugar at the irani joints and outside churchgate station late in night. Therefore everymonring breakfast has to have JAM.heheh

Custard and caramel pudding i actually dont know how they are made but, these Irani restaurants do it well i think, and i make sure i always order one. Have taken note of all the places that you have mentioned in bold.

Remember buying Death By Chocolate (chocolate again LOLS) from Olive, yummmmmmmmm. have you tried pastries from this cake shop at Samrat, Churchgate i think it is called 210 degrees C (cant find the degrees symbol). They have a huge variety of desserts.

I love cheese cakes tooo, remember going to my boss's party at his place and had end up eating 500gm of pineapple cheese cake!! he had freaked after that when there was no desert left, but luckily Chocolate truffle was there as a stand by.

Ice-creams only like Baskin robbins, or right place at breach candy!! rest apna Kwality walls ice cream. But will try the K Rustoms, as i do like fruits !!

HMm gimme moreeeeee!!! hehhe
Old 6th March 2008, 16:33   #268
Senior - BHPian

Just called Gogi to tell him off very sternly. This is not done!
Old 6th March 2008, 16:40   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil.rahate View Post
Where is shri sunders opposite ruia....there is DPs and behind DPs is maneesh the best south indian breakfast in mumbai.....i was regular there when in ruia.....
This is actually opp Snow Point not exactly opp Ruias and its Mani's not Maneesh and dont get me started on the South Indian places!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
.. but luckily Chocolate truffle was there as a stand by.
....So what did you do? Eat that too
The next time your boss invites you hell have made arrangements for extra dessert.

The Taj Icecream shop at Bohri Mohalla, Mohd.Ali Road has IMHO (H = Hungry) serves the best Sitafal Sancha Icecream in the world.

How could I forget the Kahlua Mousse at the Taj Zodiac Grille

All of you get fat. Im Hitting the Gym and Marine Drive promenade from Monday!!

Last edited by V-16 : 6th March 2008 at 16:46.
Old 6th March 2008, 16:42   #270
Senior - BHPian

Someone please make sure Gogi X Singh is banned from this thread.

Please!!!

Most Viewed