Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2008, 04:11   #346
Senior - BHPian

constantly looking out and searching for new places is getting to be a regular pain. What with the roads dug up and the looong traffic snarls it has become really pathetic and impossible to drive down to the suburbs.
I would like to give my two bits about a restaurant that has always been there but seems that no one knows about its existence, except its regulars and both are happy with this arrangement.
Enter me and in 15 days i have been there 3 times.
In our endevour to hunt for a new place which is suiatable to drink as well as eat we wandered bravely to a tiny (actually not so tiny) little place opposite Regal Cinema called "The Woodside Inn"
I volunteered to go in and check the place out. Not wanting to go to a place with teeny boppers (sorry teen members) I was pleasantly surprised to find a buzzing restaurant with good music on a thursday night.
The restaurant is in two storeys.
The groud floor is essentially a loungish lace with sofas and low seating in a line with bar stools around the bar (where else).
This place has got one of the friendliest and courteous staff I have recently encountered.
Its a beer drinkers haven with a huge list of domestic and imported beers form Kingfisher to Asahi and Stella.
The liquor menu is also impressive.
Now can the Wine list be left behind? Great list here to.
The best part is it is affordable. The owners have not priced their food or drinks in an empty your pockets way.
Its very reasonable and very very good.
A small staircase leads you to the first floor which houses the dining area.
Recommended fare; order your favourite poison and a pizza from the menu. Excellent medium sized pizza not drippig with sauce or any other soggy making thingy.
The next is their salad list. Slalds are a must (and healthy) have option here.
we tried some snacky items too and they were all good.
Pasta was saucy enough to make a pass at you but on a scale of 1-10 it gets a 6. Thats not fantastic but quite ok. Those who have eaten at Cafe Churchill, the pasta here, tastes similar.
So rounding up this small report, I would definitely recommend a visit to this place. Why, ill be going there again.
Bon Appetite.

Food : 7/10
Ambience : 8/10
Service : 8/10
Staff Attitude : 10/10

Will I go there again? Yes again and again.!!
Old 13th July 2008, 20:30   #347
BHPian

Quote:
"The Woodside Inn"
Good place. Its a favorite with us for after-work drinks & bites.

Its been a dry season (restaurant wise), not all that many places opening up. But the good news is, old joints have stayed consistent in quality and are as good as ever. Olive has opened up at the race course, so makes for a good option for weeknights too.

I'd like to suggest the "Bagel Place" for breakfast. Its on the Pali Hill approach road (from carter road) and opens early. Gorging on bagels + coffee on a sunday morning can beat the heck out of saturday night hangovers . Chilled out atmosphere too.
Old 15th July 2008, 00:18   #348
Sar
BHPian

No favourite places, just amazed at the variety!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Ever tried the chicken at Nando's?! Its awesome, personally had the mild flavor. Also like the pasta's from Bombay Blues.
I am a foodie, love to cook & eat. So started reading this thread, and WOW! I am hungry again just reading all the interesting places/food everyone has written about. It has been 10 years since I went out and ate a meal in Mumbai, and then it was literally going to Leopold's for old times sake, having a drink & then accross the road for a frankie.
You guys have Nando's now? The s.african Nando's ? and shawarmas? Lovely. We are hoping to come to visit next year, so will keep all the recommendations in mind.
Old 15th July 2008, 10:18   #349
Senior - BHPian

I loved the food at Kebab Corner @ ITC, Parel. Kebabs were nicely done.
Old 15th July 2008, 10:24   #350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
isnt kebab corner the restaurant at intercontinental. this one is kebabs and curries.
Old 15th July 2008, 11:24   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
isnt kebab corner the restaurant at intercontinental. this one is kebabs and curries.
I stand corrected. It's Kebabs and Curries.
Old 15th July 2008, 11:45   #352
Senior - BHPian

Malad (W) is turning out to be a interesting place in terms of food joints.

Lots of restaurants have opened here. Machaan / Laughing Cavalier / Kareem's.

Tried Laughing cavalier last week. Quite interesting place. Decent drinks, amazing salads and Pizza that is cooked on coal/ wooden ovens.

Somewhat pricey though, meal for two + drinks will cost 1500 - 2000.
Old 15th July 2008, 14:49   #353
BHPian

Tried Masala Mantar Sunday Night after hearing so much about it (think since more than 10 months). Its at Lokhandwala Road, Near the RTO Office, Andheri West. Reached there around 8.15pm as sundays we usually like to wind up early. They had Happy hours till 8.30pm so i ordered a drink & the second one was free cheers: for me, kept it on the table. Since it was only me and wifey, We thought of not ordering much, So we just ordered a Chicken Tawawala (or Tawa Masala i think!) with Ajwaini Roti & a Chicken Tikka Biryani. The 2 dishes were actually enough for 3 people & we had to pack some biryani home. The ambience & interiors were very village type. The food was scrumptious, excellent, magnifique. We normally avoid seafood during the monsoons & anyways wifey & me actually prefer Seafood in Coastal & Continental Preparations. I'd definitely go here again & again as i am a regular at their other place Urban Tadka & now i've got kinda bored of that place. Try it out!
Old 15th July 2008, 14:55   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post

Tried Laughing cavalier last week. Quite interesting place. Decent drinks, amazing salads and Pizza that is cooked on coal/ wooden ovens.

Somewhat pricey though, meal for two + drinks will cost 1500 - 2000.
A school mate owns it. Have to try it someday.
Old 15th July 2008, 15:21   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
aaah Shalimar, Hop skip and jump from my place, but i dont go there muich to eat, reason : crowded , and waiting is too long sometimes though but i guess only when i want to eat there the whole world pops in LOLS.

Shalimar visits is only because of their Special Falooda for mom and wifey and HALF for me (not cold allowed). i like their Dal Gosht too. Will definately try to pick up the chilly chicken gravy with crisp tandoori roti.
Yeah i have also tried their Tiranga Kababs (chicken) three different colours i think one cooked in red chilly, the other in green chilly and dont know how they get the white one, but still its good for starter. each color 6 kababs.

Ok now time for Seekh, Chicken seekh at Sigdi, clare road, byculla next to Christ church school, one of the best i had, tender soft. One more place famous for Chicken seekh is at Mastan talau, Nagpada the lane which goes next to Goodluck motor driving school, the problem here is gets over before you can smell it lols i mean by 9 or latest by 10. No hotel or rest, its stand on the pavement and eat.. probably a small Charpai

Slurp Slurp Gogi man u made me hungry. i am game for it any time... for food. Just let me know when you guys plan il be there hungry
just reading this section, me n my bori dost go to shalimar everytime he comes down to india, our staple there is Bheja Fry (no masala), reshmi chicken kabab & 1 full tandoori raan with roomali's & mangola thrown in. And end it with a Firni. we have been doing this religiously since 6 years now.
our regular itinerary is:
1. meet at 7 at janta at pali (for old times sake, have a beer bottle each there)
2. hire a cool cab or regular from there & specify that we own him for the night & go to harmony & start with hard drinks. we actually used to dig harmony at bandra reclamation until they spoilt the fun there. So now we pick up daaru at jude's wine cellar & drink in the taxi till shalimar.
4. leave for shalimar, bhendi bazar.
5. leave from shalimar after the above & go to Tavern & continue drinking till our last drink (maybe till 1.30) which will be a Chivas Regal 12 yr old, irrespective of whatever we drink throughout the night. request the dj for november rain umpteen number of times.

also another place that we dig is a place at do taanki, its a seek parathewala, i was too drunk to remember but that place is amazing too.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 15th July 2008 at 15:32. Reason: typo error
Old 25th July 2008, 00:11   #356
BHPian

Guys,
Need to arrange a party. 360 persons. In a Disc. Any ideas which one can accomodate these many people? Would be looking at booking the disc exclusively.
Rock Bottom (Ramee- Guestline Juhu) and Aaziano (Lower Parel) are out since last year's two parties were there,so need something different.
Can TRAFFIC accomodate 360 ?
Old 25th July 2008, 11:05   #357
BHPian

I think Hard Rock Cafe (Bombay Dying Mills) will accomodate, they have quiet a spread out area, the bar section, the dining section and the VIP section too.
Old 25th July 2008, 11:49   #358
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Three options for you:

1. Hardrock

2. Club Magic (Worli)

3. Dragon Fly (Express Towers).

PM me if you need a contact with the last two places.

Quote:
Tried Masala Mantar Sunday Night after hearing so much about it (think since more than 10 months).
MM is an awesome place! Delicious food, decently priced and good ambience. Its a favorite for family lunches.
Old 25th July 2008, 11:54   #359
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Recently been to Peshawari, ITC (Airport). Food was good but not much in it for Veggies, for Non-Veggies menu looked tempting.
Each tandoor costs over 1000 bucks for veggies and 1200+ for animal eaters! But hell its nothing for a restaurant which comes in the Top Restaurants in the World. But I was shocked to see a mouse in the restaurant. Certainly never expected it.

I loved Dum Pukht too. I wanna go there again.

Last edited by F50 : 25th July 2008 at 12:03.
Old 25th July 2008, 14:03   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I stand corrected. It's Kebabs and Curries.
Is this open 24 hours? I once went to a restaurant at ITC after a heavy spell at Dublin, hence dont remember the name. . The Daal Makhani and Tawa Parathas were killer. Nearly as good as the Daal Makhani at Pritam. No kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
Guys,
Need to arrange a party. 360 persons. In a Disc. Any ideas which one can accomodate these many people? Would be looking at booking the disc exclusively.
Rock Bottom (Ramee- Guestline Juhu) and Aaziano (Lower Parel) are out since last year's two parties were there,so need something different.
Can TRAFFIC accomodate 360 ?
Dragonfly, as recommended by GTO, is not a "disco". Its a very classy lounge. I would recommend it over the rest. Its also a fresh new place and a welcome break from the dark and gloomy interiors of most other places.

The other options with the capacity you require:

1. Poison
2. Hard Rock
3. China House
4. Sutra
5. Shiros
6. Red Light (if you include the party hall across the hall too)
7. Aurus (the outdoor section has been enclosed and air conditioned)
8. D'Ultimate
9. Squeeze (if its still on)
10. Enigma

Most Viewed