Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2007, 11:36   #16
BHPian

Last time, only one person joined. This time, I'm hoping back seats get filled too.

To: Wanowrie, Pune
When: Friday Oct 12 5PM
Notes:
- Planning to go via Matunga(E), Vashi, Expressway. Can pick-up along the way
- Timing little flexible
- Not looking to make money. But would appreciate contributions to tolls. I'll handle fuel.
- Hoping to stop 1 or 2 times on expressway and soak in scenery.
- Expect to be in Pune by 9PM. Happy to drop you along the way, or to your building if close to expressway.
- Post on this thread or contact me at 99676 50632

To: Worli, Mumbai
When: Sunday Oct 14 5PM
Notes:
- Timing flexible
- Other notes same as above
Old 8th October 2007, 15:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

This is a good idea. Only one person turned up last time ?
Old 8th October 2007, 17:06   #18
BHPian

yup, my schedule matched one other guy's - so we went.

1 seat is taken up for this weekend. 2 more left. 3 in back wont be comfy.
Old 9th October 2007, 00:55   #19
BHPian

its great to see some one helping our planet! amitsingh08 good move!
Old 25th February 2008, 22:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Pool in and get goodies. An initiative by Car Pool Mumbai

Read about it here - Get goodies on car pooling
Old 8th July 2008, 12:05   #21

I drive dailyfrom Hiranandani Estate, Thane to Hiranandani Business Park Powai in Mumbai with a colleague. We usually start at 10.30 am from Thane and at 9.00 pm from Powai to avoid rush hour treffic. If anyone is interested in joining the pool, they can contact me.
Old 8th July 2008, 13:42   #22
BHPian

My mom has been in a car pool with 2 of her colleagues for about a year now. Works like a charm. Has many advantages but is good only if you are in a strict time based job. One thirds the fuel bill for her. Plus gives her company.

Certainly not suitable for the IT industry!!! Maybe good for the BPO sector, but even there you have shifts changing every now and then. Will suit Govt jobs, schools and colleges the best IMO.

Last edited by Proxima : 8th July 2008 at 13:44.
Old 8th July 2008, 18:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

Myself and my colleague has started this from past 8 months and we are doing fine. We stay close by around 1.5 kms distance from my home to his home. We take turns like 2 days he brings his vehicle and next 2 days I bring my vehicle. By this, we ensure that our cars are running and there is a lot of savings in fuel. I actually save around Rs.2000/month due to this.
Old 15th April 2009, 10:12   #24
BHPian

An useful article on car pooling in Chennai.

Here’s an news article taken from today’s Times of India. It could be of use to some of us.

Net fuels car pooling drive in city

We’ve heard about car pooling and know why it doesn’t work beyond small circles. If trust and reliability are the key factors, this new internet-fuelled network could well drive the trend and reduce the carbon footprint.

Shareadrive which may soon see many clones, works this way: You drive from Besant Nagar to Perungudi for work. You register with the network to share the vacant seats of your car — and earn. The website will match you with others travelling along that route, who will pay you Rs 3 a km for dropping them on your way to work.

“If there is a way for people to know that the person can be trusted and that he/she will be paid for it, several would be willing to offer a lift. ShareADrive.in will link non-vehicle owners and those with two-wheelers and four wheelers on the same route. Everyone saves money and brings down carbon emissions,” says Hariharan Ganesan, CEO of the start-up.
Ganesan says members are added only after a background check with office colleagues and neighbours. On registering, non-vehicle users looking for a ride to their destination agree to pay the person who gives them a lift Re 1 a km for two-wheelers and Rs 3 a km for four-wheelers.
Software engineer Navaneethan C, a registered member, says he is open to giving two people a ride in his car while commuting from RA Puram to Perungudi. “It’s a good initiative as it saves fuel, puts lesser vehicles on the road and reduces pollution. Maybe a time will come when I can leave my vehicle at home and hitch a ride with somebody else driving that way,” he says.
M Narayanan, a senior executive at TCS, says, “It’s a simple and easy way to do your part for the environment and society. I may have to sacrifice the luxury of listening to music, reading or speaking on the phone with someone on my way to work, but it’s a small price to pay for the benefits.”

Car pooling catching up among Chennaiites
Chennai: Fluctuations in the price of fuel and the hassle of snaking your way through peak-hour traffic is prompting more and more people to opt for car pooling in city. Green campaigners are also looking at carpools as a way to reduce pollution.
P Rajesh, a final year B Com student of SIVET College of Arts and Sciences in Gowrivakkam, says that reaching Tambaram from his house in Mudichur is easy, but getting from Tambaram to his college is torturous.
“There are few buses and all of them are crowded; so we have to start from home early to beat the rush hour. Sometimes, when I miss the bus or start late from home, we have to plead with two-wheeler riders for a lift,” he says.
Ganesan says, “When we match students like Rajesh, who doesn’t mind paying a rupee or two extra to reach his college, with a software engineer, who doesn’t mind giving a guy a lift for a few extra bucks, we have a win-win situation.”
He says he is not earning money from the idea right now, but would reap benefits once he sells the idea to travel car operators and call taxis. He plans to make it a single-point, share-a-cab company in India.

HOME TRUTHS
Chennai has more than 27 lakh vehicles on its roads Every day, 800 new vehicles are registered Avoiding just 26 km of driving every week would eliminate about 500 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions a year Driving a car causes more pollution than anything else you do today One gallon of used motor oil can contaminate 1 million gallons of water.

Link:

AddThis Social Bookmarking Sharing Button Widget
Old 15th April 2009, 10:45   #25
BHPian

I have been car pooling for a long time now. Was in the US for the last year, but started it again once i am back. It is definitelty a good saving plus reducing your carbon footprint.

However, i consider car pooling as being somewhere mid-way to an efficient public transport. We still car pool because public transport still takes time. It is still not so efficient that it offers the same or something better than taking your own car.

For instance, I have a company bus, and i end up paying the same amount for my car too (after pooling). But, i have some flexibility and i dont have to pool all the days of the week (adding to the flexibility). But in the longer term when the Metro happens and gets extended to all parts of the city, i probably would use Metro...
Old 15th April 2009, 11:03   #26
BHPian

Sorry about the wrong link in my previous post. Here's the right one.

Net fuels car pooling drive in city
Old 15th April 2009, 11:21   #27
BHPian

I am a part of a car pool...with a little difference. We have hired a taxi for the month and he drops us off at office and picks us up everyday. It works out more expensive than using your own car for pooling but in Delhi this is a necessity as timings clash and you end up waiting for your partners everyday.

Initially, we had a car pool from Delhi to Gurgaon and it was a sort of a disaster as our exit timings never matched. And we were all from the same office.
Old 29th May 2009, 02:44   #28
BHPian

Chennai - Bangalore Carpool

I commute from Chennai to Bangalore every Friday and back on Monday.

Anyone willing to travel with me is welcome; costs will be transparent and we can share that.

Let me know at 95432-73820.

- Som.
Old 31st May 2009, 14:07   #29
BHPian

Pan City Mega Car Pool project from the Transport department Delhi:

Mega Carpool Questionnaire

Transport Department Homepage:

Transport

Last edited by godog : 31st May 2009 at 14:15.
Old 31st May 2009, 14:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

I travel from Delhi to gurgaon everyday in the evening and back early next morning. I work in a BPO in gurgaon. Anyone interested in a car pool let me know please

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks