Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2012, 19:39   #61
BHPian

Carpool from Bangalore to your City

Folks, the concept of car pooling especially for long trips is quite popular in many western countries. Can we not try replicate the concept here in India too? We have a team-bhp meet section in similar lines already.

Like-minded people meet here at team-bhp and long drive can be an occasion for camaraderie and bonding between members. So, can we not take the movement to the next, more practical level and see if it works out for our community?

Bangalore especially has lot of migrant population and getting a train/bus ticket in the festival season is rather difficult. There are many team-bhp members in Bangalore who own cars and regularly drive out of the city on weekend and festivals. So, it is one of the ideal places to try this initiative. Many times, we may have to drive down without our family and it makes an ideal case to opt for a team-bhp buddy.

Advantages are:
1) Additional seats
2) Possibility of meeting new members
3) Shared expenses resulting in reduced cost/seat
4) Less pollution per person travelling

As the next step, the car owner who plans to drive from Bangalore can post these details and let others respond (as PM only to avoid noise):
1) Destination:
2) Date & time:
3) No of seats available:
4) Pickup point in Bangalore:
5) Vehicle model:
6) Expected cost per seat:

Last edited by B103 : 12th December 2012 at 19:46.
Old 12th December 2012, 20:36   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Carpool from <Source> to <Destination>

Good thread - although we have had a few carpool threads in the past, a re-take at it was needed. Lets hope the idea picks up more interest

Just one suggestion; keep a source & a destination. Agree with the rest of the suggestions

1) Source:
2) Destination:
3) Date & time:
4) No of seats available:
5) Pickup point in <source>:
6) Vehicle model:
7) Expected cost per seat:
8) Additional Info: <Route-details/Stop-overs/Plan-details/etc>
Old 14th December 2012, 16:26   #63
Senior - BHPian

re: The Car Pool Thread

Anyone who has a seat to spare(driver seat including) from Bangalore to Coimbatore, starting tonight or early tomorrow morning?
Old 14th December 2012, 18:31   #64
BHPian

We (about 40 of us) were shifted to a temporary office for a duration of about 8 months while the current one was being renovated. There were 10-12 folks driving to office including me. However free parking for our company in the complex was limited to 5 and paid parking within the complex was Rs 500 a day. (You read that right, Rs 500 a day). We immediately saw the number of cars drop down to 6 with people willing to car pool and me willing to use public transport. Now we are back to our earlier building and the car pooling has vanished. Higher parking prices in private complexes will definitely force people to carpool. We in the IT industry are spoilt by the firms. Back in the new office, the firms has bought 50 odd parking slots on the road from the government appointed contractor and is offering on first come first serve to the employees of the company. Others need to pay Rs 50 per day. Nowhere else in the globe does the company sponsor employee parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Anyone BHPians travelling from Chandivali to Goregaon East, all days except Mondays ?
I do. Saki Vihar road to Malad (W) via Oberoi Mall. Mon - Fri. No set schedule, but can work towards one. I know a colleague who does Nahar to Malad (W), may not be a BHPian.

Source: Saki Vihar Road, Mumbai
Destination: Malad (W), Mindspace, Mumbai
Date & time: Mon - Fri, 9:30ish in the am. 7:00ish in the pm
No of seats available: 3-4
Vehicle model: Alto Lxi
Expected cost per seat: None. We can take turns to get our cars.
Additional Info: Saki Vihar Road - JVLR - WE Highway - Oberoi Mall - Goregaon Mulund Link Road - Mindspace (reverse route in the evening)

Last edited by kmadhok : 14th December 2012 at 18:36. Reason: following ninjatalli suggestion
Old 17th December 2012, 11:42   #65
BHPian

Source: Andheri East (Intl. airport signal), Mumbai

Destination: Lower Parel, India Bulls Center, Mumbai

Date & time: Mon - Fri, Morning 07:30 Evening 17:00

No of seats available: 2

Route Info: WE Highway - B W Sea Link - Passport Office - Siddhivinayak - Lower Parel
Old 26th December 2012, 15:27   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok View Post

I do. Saki Vihar road to Malad (W) via Oberoi Mall. Mon - Fri. No set schedule, but can work towards one. I know a colleague who does Nahar to Malad (W), may not be a BHPian.

Source: Saki Vihar Road, Mumbai
Destination: Malad (W), Mindspace, Mumbai
Date & time: Mon - Fri, 9:30ish in the am. 7:00ish in the pm
No of seats available: 3-4
Vehicle model: Alto Lxi
Additional Info: Saki Vihar Road - JVLR - WE Highway - Oberoi Mall - Goregaon Mulund Link Road - Mindspace (reverse route in the evening)
I start from Nahar Amrit Shakti road to the Raheja Titanium building on the WEH daily. Departure time is between 0940 am-1000 am via JVLR.

I leave for home around 1830-1845 pm daily in the reverse direction.
Old 26th December 2012, 18:17   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I start from Nahar Amrit Shakti road to the Raheja Titanium building on the WEH daily. Departure time is between 0940 am-1000 am via JVLR.

I leave for home around 1830-1845 pm daily in the reverse direction.
Unless you can cycle to my house we may not be able to car pool, since I start after your home and continue further than your destination.
Though like I said I can get you in touch with someone who does the same route. Albeit starts earlier not sure of return times.
Old 2nd January 2013, 15:12   #68
Senior - BHPian

A few of my office colleagues showed interest in car pooling as they stay close to my place. Since the route is same, I agreed and my colleagues have left to me to come up with the calculations (costs/months). Does the below calculation hold good?

{[(Kms per day*No of days per month)/Avg fuel consumption * Cost of fuel per litre] + Other Costs}/No of car poolers= Cost of commute per person.

For example purposes:
{[(46*22)/12*72]+1000}/3=2357/- per person per month.

Is there any other way to calculate. Since I only will be driving and using my car for car pooling should I demand lower contribution?

Mods: if this post does not belong to this thread, request to move appropriately.
Old 2nd January 2013, 15:23   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
{[(Kms per day*No of days per month)/Avg fuel consumption * Cost of fuel per litre] + Other Costs}/No of car poolers= Cost of commute per person.
I think since you are using your car for this, you could get exemption on the Other Costs.

Also you have put it as Rs 1000.
That I feel is a high.

An ideal amount would be like 50 paise per km.

But I have no experience in this sort of accounting.
Old 2nd January 2013, 15:39   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I think since you are using your car for this, you could get exemption on the Other Costs.

Also you have put it as Rs 1000.
My Mistake, i did not give the reason for the other costs. I was referring to the monthly toll which would cost Rs1000/-. This can also include the car servicing costs too, then the monthly contribution would be higher.

Can you elaborate on the exemption part?
Old 2nd January 2013, 15:42   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My Mistake, i did not give the reason for the other costs. I was referring to the monthly toll which would cost Rs1000/-. This can also include the car servicing costs too, then the monthly contribution would be higher.

Can you elaborate on the exemption part?
I meant that you don't need to pay the Other Costs.
Old 2nd January 2013, 16:14   #72
BHPian

Anybody interested in Majiwada (Thane West) to Powai? Start at 8:30 in the morning and leave around 6 in the evening.
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:15   #73
BHPian

Hey guys, check out this site: www.carpooladda.com

I found it very helpful. Especially the android app. the app works in real time and a person would be alerted if a different user is going the same destination as you (provided both of them are registered and the other guy puts up that he is willing to carpool. )
Old 7th February 2013, 10:53   #74
BHPian

Has anybody used http://khaliseat.in/? How is the experience?

Besides car pooling, it gives options for sharing all kinds of drives, autorickshaws, taxis, etc.
Old 7th February 2013, 13:56   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any other way to calculate. Since I only will be driving and using my car for car pooling should I demand lower contribution?
Since yours is the only car being used, you should not be paying anything at all. You are already paying EMIs and maintenance cost of the vehicle. Plus you are exerting yourself by driving everyday.

The best thing would be to divide the fuel and toll charges amongst the other car pooling members.

If this is not possible, try to include monthly maintenance costs and cost of wear and tear in the calculations. For example, an amount of Rs 1000 per month would be required for car maintenance - which includes routine servicing, oil change, tyre wear and tear, interior and exterior cleaning, cost of car perfume etc.

Also, I would advise you to have an understanding with pooling members regarding sharing of repair expense in the unfortunate even of car being involved in an accident during car pooling.

Rohan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks