Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2006, 02:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Brangelina in pune for six weeks

Brangelina phenomenon hits Pune
Saturday, September 30, 2006
Source: IANS

Pune: With Hollywood's hottest stars Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt ready to touch Pune Sunday, residents can't wait to see and know more of Jolie.

The visit has sparked renewed interest in Jolie who they describe as "a captivating but strange phenomenon".

Residents of this pleasant city, home to the Film and Television Institute of India, the Armed Forces Medical College and many IT firms, are trying to form a clearer picture of Jolie, who arrives here Oct 1, from the scraps of information they have gleaned over the years. And the city is hoping to find out a lot more! Jolie is slated to spend six months filming a movie based on a book by Marianne Pearl, wife of slain Wall Street Journal journalist Daniel Pearl, on her husband.

But even with the planned press conferences and interviews there will always be more questions asked than answered when it comes to understanding Jolie.

John Thomas, a senior human resource executive at an IT company, says: "She is drop dead gorgeous. And if I was ever to see her I would get weak in my knees."

One of her earliest directors called her "an extraordinary-looking creature, like some weird, undiscovered orchid".

In films, one cannot help but notice that there is something raw, visceral and in-your-face attitude in her reactions. She seems to transcend boundaries, and people across all age groups are captivated by her.

But Jolie has been considered "weird" and not always from accounts in tabloids. When married to the much older actor, Billy Bob Thornton, she carried a vial of his blood around her neck.

As if this wasn't weird enough, Robert, a postgraduate student of political science at Pune University, says: "I have heard stores like she cut herself on her hand and has a collection of knives at home. If all this is true then I wonder what more we will learn when she is here."

This is not far from truth. Jolie in an interview had said, "You're young, you're drunk, you're in bed, you have knives; **** happens." She was talking about her marriage to Johnny Lee Miller.

By the time Jolie was 26 she had already had two heady and intense marriages; not counting other relationships like the live-in when she was 16 and then much later a publicised lesbian affair with actress Jenny Shimizu.

When getting married to Johnny Miller, Jolie had worn black leather pants and a white shirt with Miller's name scrawled across the back in her own blood.

But Jolie seems to have mellowed and matured beautifully. For the past four years she has become more active in charity work getting involved with the UN, and drawing attention to children and refugees.

This is a surprising but welcome change.

Says Sheetal Mohol, a student in Ferguson College: "I am surprised that she went from a relationship with a much older and stranger man like Billy Bob Thornton to a seemingly more normal guy like Brad
Pitt. It will be nice to see if this change in her will last."

This seems to be more like the present day Jolie that people of Pune know of. Along with her much-publicised affair with Brad Pitt (who left popular actress Jennifer Aniston for her), people here also know of the children she has adopted.

Sosa, an 11-year-old at St. Mary's School, says, "All I know of Jolie is that she has adopted two kids and one of her own. One I think is Cambodian and the other is from Ethiopia."

Whatever the aura and intrigue that Jolie has generated over the years, Pune is hoping to find out a lot more about her. Six weeks seems to be good enough for that.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 1st October 2006 at 02:22.
Old 7th October 2006, 14:00   #2
BHPian

Some news paper termed them "Peshwas of Pune" !

Celebrity gazing at its depth.

If they reach Mysore will that make them "Maharaja of Mysore" ?
Old 7th October 2006, 14:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

14 cars have been booked by the couple from Kent car Pvt ltd.

Two mercedes[one of which is a white mercedes van ],six innovas,three skodas and three lancers.
Old 7th October 2006, 14:24   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

And they are also on the Times front page today. I really cant understand the fuss over actor / model celebrities and why so much importance is given to them. Couldnt care less if they are on the next table at a restaurant.

I'd much rather read about people with accomplishments in more meaningful areas of life...
Old 7th October 2006, 15:40   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
I'd much rather read about people with accomplishments in more meaningful areas of life...
Well said GTO !

Why are we Indians so obsequious to 'Gora' log ?

Why do we forgive every celebrity who can drive over people or shoot birds at will.
Old 7th October 2006, 16:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Times of India has gone crazy. They gave them almost 2 full pages of coverage, with a goodish bit on the Pune Times page too. Would rather see news of importance printed than just the arrival of two Hollywood actors.
Old 7th October 2006, 17:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

I don't get whats so important about crazy woman coming to Pune.

Quote:
Some news paper termed them "Peshwas of Pune" !
Editor of that news paper should be fired from his job.
Old 7th October 2006, 18:17   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I think she's really hot. Like really. And her craziness turns me on. Like really.

That said, I don't think her visit (and herr pitt's) deserves the kind of coverage it's getting in the news. Theek hai, Page 3, social magazines etc I do understand. But TOI front page? man that's a cheaply sold front page.
Old 8th October 2006, 09:30   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
I think she's really hot. Like really....
Pune is now one global warming hotspot !

Hear its the Daniel Pearl movie they are shooting.

So will they show Pune as Pakistan ?? Puneites....
Old 8th October 2006, 09:36   #10
Team-BHP Support

yup theyve chosen pune as it resembles pakistan due to its sindh culture. they even have got a bunch of yellow taxis to resemble those of karachi.

their security guards have even beaten up a photographer for taking too many snaps.

still too much hype i say.

source:todays TOI
Old 9th October 2006, 17:28   #11
BHPian

Here’s why Brangelina are ‘Mighty’ impressed with Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639
yup theyve chosen pune as it resembles pakistan due to its sindh culture. they even have got a bunch of yellow taxis to resemble those of karachi. .......
Here’s why Brangelina are ‘Mighty’ impressed with Pune

http://cities.expressindia.com/fulls...?newsid=204458
Old 9th October 2006, 17:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

She is hot. And man, those pouty lips can even ignite a log of wood, soggy from exposure to Kerala monsoons. Frankly, I would rather have her on newsprint, than read about the stupid antics of our politicians, which is the usual fare.
Old 9th October 2006, 23:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Todays paper carries a picture of Brad and the lady using a rickshaw to commute. With a big description ofcourse. All of it front page headlines. TOI has lost it.
Old 9th October 2006, 23:11   #14
F50
Senior - BHPian

Yea the Yellow Taxis are Maruti Esteems with no. plate PU-XXXX Karachi and Hyundai Excel is written.

But everyday I open the paper, Pitt and Angl. are in ricks.
Old 10th October 2006, 01:22   #15
elf
BANNED

Note from the Support Staff: Next time use the "Report Bad Post" feature. That'll suffice.

Last edited by aah78 : 10th October 2006 at 04:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks