Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2016, 22:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

What does your office desk/workstation look like?

Apart from our beloved cars, most of us spend lots of time on our desk/workstation in office or respective work place. It is one of very important and underrated part of our lives.

This is how my office desk looks like. As you might guess looking at the pics, let me tell you beforehand - Yes, I am an IT Professional :P

-> Attached to the workstation are quotes from Jim Carrey, Bhagwad Gita and Steve Jobs. I usually keep changing quotes in couple of months and re-use them later.

-> They keep me motivated and refreshed throughout the day.

-> Planning to put something related to automobiles as well

What does your office desk/workstation look like?-mainqimg59d1bbb660e3e467efe5a85af0ce35a1c.jpg

Would like to see how does the desks/workstation of fellow team-bhpians looks like?

EDIT - I have cropped/removed organisation's logo/name other sensitive information from the workstation pic as suggested by fellow BHPian.

Last edited by bluevolt : 1st August 2016 at 01:55.
Old 31st July 2016, 22:28   #2
mxh
BHPian

Re: How does your office/work desk/workstation looks like?

You are fortunate to have quite an ergonomically designed workstation. The chair has adjustable arms and desk has a roll out keyboard at a lower level. The mouse placement though is not optimal, it should be along side the keyboard ideally. My workstation is quite different, there's nothing on my table or the boards and everything I need is stored on my computer. When I leave my desk is empty except my laptop charger which remains connected. I don't like the idea of getting too attached to any company so my desk is nomadic and spartan.
Old 2nd August 2016, 10:12   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: What does your office desk/workstation look like?

I have a home-office, and my desk is mostly messy.

What does your office desk/workstation look like?-p_20160802_100338_1_p.jpg

1) On level 1, I have have a laptop and an external monitor. There is a 5 speaker + 1 subwoofer system connected to the laptop, and Winamp is always ON.

2) On level 2, I have an assorted set of books (ASTERIX, Travel books & Stock market trading books). I'm unable to recall when I last opened those books to read though.

3) On the same level, I also have 3M Glass cleaner, Interior cleaner, Tyre dresser etc. Again, can't recall when I last used them. For some reason, there is a HIT COCKROACH KILLER spray in this shelf. I think my wife put it there.

4) Level 3 is home to assorted GODS. Whenever the stock market is going down, I go up and seek divine intervention.

Last edited by SmartCat : 2nd August 2016 at 10:14.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 10:52   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

While I have a seat in office, I use it only to keep my bag. Because of frequent calls, I use small conference rooms or prefer using high rise tables. It gives a better posture because of my height and allows me to stand and work. Today, I am working from home. So my laptop is perched on my lap and I am perched on the sofa.
Old 2nd August 2016, 11:04   #5
Team-BHP Support

This is my cabin, the photo taken 9 years ago when it was built. It still looks the same, although the area behind the glass partition is all filled up with work tables. Now there is also lot more clutter on my table.

What does your office desk/workstation look like?-_8253732.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd August 2016 at 11:06.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 13:05   #6
BHPian

My work area looks very bland, plain even though the work I do is more creative.

What does your office desk/workstation look like?-20160802124749.jpg

Clean, spacious, empty desk motivates me more.
Old 2nd August 2016, 13:30   #7
BHPian

In this era of getting more of a flat structure and less hierarchical in appearance, our company has dissolved cubicles, cabins, etc and the new office follows the BPO like continuous work benches. All divisions including IT, Analytics, R&D, Operations, Logistics, sales, all are forced to follow this new system, for which a few top management were confused initially. But now the top management too sits with middle management or freshers. There is no grade-wise distinction. The only one cabin is for CEO and there are lot of meeting rooms which is common, no other person gets a cabin.

In fact since some of the tables are motorized height adjustable ones, we don't get any individual storage space also.
Old 2nd August 2016, 13:53   #8
BHPian

Little cabin the size of a decent cubicle. Usual stuff including a phone and a laptop, some storage, bottle of water, a small table and 1 + 2 chairs (one is out as it is required for some meeting in the office). Didn't have too much space at the back for a better picture but trust me, the view isn't bad at all.

What does your office desk/workstation look like?-20160802_122928-large.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 18th March 2020 at 18:56. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 2nd August 2016, 14:00   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a collage of my desk at office

What does your office desk/workstation look like?-desk1.jpg

In the centre, you can see the entire desk

Apart from the PC monitor, telephone, calendar and a photo frame, in anticlockwise direction from the top left:

1st photo: A coffee mug purchased in 2012 from the Kargil war memorial, A crystal memento(award) given by the company, wireless charger for my smartphone, A water bottle, a table-top calendar of my company specially made for me with my name on it because the photos in the calendar are captured by me! some other quick references pinned in the background

2nd photo: Tricolor ribbons, Ferrari backpack with TBHP Keychain and some more quick reference cards pinned in the background

3rd photo: A gold(colour) medal which I had won in an event and a reminder to mt IT department to give me a new PC

4th Photo: My nameplate and an "insiprational" cartoon

5th photo: A couple of award certificates

6th Photo: An indication that I'm an auto enthusiast
Old 2nd August 2016, 14:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Here's my desk.
A laptop, a VoiP phone, a couple of papers on the desk wall one of which is an extension list, a bottle of water, a box of tissues and a pouch of Camel tobacco.

Apart from this, there are some loose print outs which I keep around for rough calculations. Currently my bag sits on it.

There is 3 cubicles adjacent to mine, divided by the partition, all of the same size. Next cubicle is 6 feet away.
As per today's standards, I would call my desk quite spacious.
What does your office desk/workstation look like?-img_20160802_133710.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 18th March 2020 at 19:01. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 2nd August 2016, 14:12   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
This is how my office desk looks like.
Whoa!! that'a a big padlock for the CPU kept on the floor. Looks like an old CPU not in use currently.
Lot of RAMs must have been stolen prompting the IT department to adopt this step I guess

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 2nd August 2016 at 14:13.
Old 2nd August 2016, 14:12   #12
Team-BHP Support

I find this guy's work desk to be most unique. Warren Buffet is the 2nd or 3rd richest man in the world, and his work desk does not have a computer, laptop, tablet PC or a smartphone.

What does your office desk/workstation look like?-warrenbuffett.jpg.jpg

When LinkedIn asked Richard Branson to send a pic of his work desk, this is what he sent -

What does your office desk/workstation look like?-richardbransonfounderatvirgingroup.jpg

Quote:
The scene might not look much like working — you won’t find a suit or tie anywhere, and lots of people are enjoying snacks. Work doesn’t always have to mean timed meetings and official processes. Lots of the best ideas come off the cuff, out of conversations like the one happening in the photo."
Full Article:
http://www.businessinsider.in/See-Wh...w/21407425.cms
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 14:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
Little cabin the size of a decent cubicle. Usual stuff including a phone and a laptop, some storage, bottle of water, a small table and 1 + 2 chairs (one is out as it is required for some meeting in the office). Didn't have too much space at the back for a better picture but trust me, the view isn't bad at all.
Kunal iam sure you could have done better with the picture. Just a peeping huracan wont do.
danlalan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 14:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
In this era of getting more of a flat structure and less hierarchical in appearance, our company has dissolved cubicles, cabins, etc and the new office follows the BPO like continuous work benches. All divisions including IT, Analytics, R&D, Operations, Logistics, sales, all are forced to follow this new system, for which a few top management were confused initially. But now the top management too sits with middle management or freshers. There is no grade-wise distinction. The only one cabin is for CEO and there are lot of meeting rooms which is common, no other person gets a cabin.

In fact since some of the tables are motorized height adjustable ones, we don't get any individual storage space also.
As an introvert, that downright scares me and irritates me quite a bit! I would have fought tooth and nail to get a cubicle somehow. I cannot even imagine working in an office without some sort of privacy. I think it is actually quite thoughtless of people who come up with these ideas - to not even be aware that there are people who cannot function in such environments!

In my previous employment, there were cubicles but the partitions were quite low! I remember using a fake plastic plant so that I wouldn't have to constantly have to look at the person in the next cubicle out of the corner of my eye. Trust me, it is really draining!
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 14:20   #15
BHPian

My Desk at office as of now. A bit messy with the no of projects going on.

What does your office desk/workstation look like?-img_20160802_140115_01.jpg

Most Viewed