Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2020, 22:29   #1246
BHPian

Re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Breathtaking quality and attention to detail

The IAF should hire you as their official model maker !
Thank you and maybe one day

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Agreed. Just imagine how bland the Mirage 2000s would have looked had they been repainted in Tipnis Grey shade at the beginning of the century. If anyone wants to visualize, just have a look at how boring Peruvian and Egyptian Mirage 2000s are to look.

To earn by doing what one loves is an opportunity very few in this world get. You are not only lucky but very talented as well. Loved the Vampire FB.52- lovely and realistic finish.
Thanks for the warm words Everytime I look at the 3 tone spinter pattern Russian Mig-29SMT or the three tone Sukhoi-27 and 35s of Russia, I cannot bring myself to model an Indian plane in the drabbest grey mankind has ever conceived. They don't even allow Unit badge or even the minutest of decoration anymore. Even the Mig-29s until early 2000 sported two tone camo before they repainted those as well :/

The Apache looks so cool in their overall Nato Black scheme with white sharkmouth and we went with tipnis grey on them as well.

Last edited by basuroy : 31st July 2020 at 22:31.
Old 1st August 2020, 00:35   #1247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Thanks for the warm words Everytime I look at the 3 tone spinter pattern Russian Mig-29SMT or the three tone Sukhoi-27 and 35s of Russia, I cannot bring myself to model an Indian plane in the drabbest grey mankind has ever conceived. They don't even allow Unit badge or even the minutest of decoration anymore. Even the Mig-29s until early 2000 sported two tone camo before they repainted those as well :/

The Apache looks so cool in their overall Nato Black scheme with white sharkmouth and we went with tipnis grey on them as well.
That's better in operational service view. That bland grey makes them jets harder to see. I don't know what they call this shade of grey that the IAF uses, but the US Navy has since around the mid 1990s, painted all their regular service jets in similar shade of grey, what they call as low viz (low visibility) grey. The US Navy earlier loved to paint their jets in bright white and the tails/noses with bright squadron colors, I'm sure we all remember the bright F-14 liveries - from the VF-1's red wolf insignia to the yellow and black tailed VF-31 Tomcatters , or the VF-33 Starfighters in black/yellow tails. That's all a thing of the past with subdued dark grey liveries on low viz grey (on the Super Hornets now). The USAF too has similar colours, the F-15C/D being painted a lighter "air superiority" grey and the F-15E a darker shade of grey.

Here's my shamefully unpainted , er, "low viz" grey camouflage collection.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-p_20200502_193026.jpg  

Ricci is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 21:55   #1248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
That's better in operational service view. That bland grey makes them jets harder to see. I don't know what they call this shade of grey that the IAF uses, but the US Navy has since around the mid 1990s, painted all their regular service jets in similar shade of grey, what they call as low viz (low visibility) grey. The US Navy earlier loved to paint their jets in bright white and the tails/noses with bright squadron colors, I'm sure we all remember the bright F-14 liveries - from the VF-1's red wolf insignia to the yellow and black tailed VF-31 Tomcatters , or the VF-33 Starfighters in black/yellow tails. That's all a thing of the past with subdued dark grey liveries on low viz grey (on the Super Hornets now). The USAF too has similar colours, the F-15C/D being painted a lighter "air superiority" grey and the F-15E a darker shade of grey.

Here's my shamefully unpainted , er, "low viz" grey camouflage collection.
All aircraft are beautiful. Paint takes them from beautiful to gorgeous :-) Is the small aircraft model in the south-east corner a Saab Viggen? And which aircraft is in the North-East Corner; an F-15? please share more.

Guys, Three new coming up:-

I was at Pearl Harbour, I did the most damage; I made up over half the air fleet that attacked Pearl Harbour yet I was over shadowed by my more famous super maneuverable cousin. Who am I? More? -- ok Fuchida flew in me when he sent the famous signal Tora Tora Tora.

I was designed in WW2 & served on till the mid-1980s. In one of my variants I am the only single engined AEW aircraft ever. Need more clues? :-) Ed Heinemann designed me around a single 2700 hp piston radial. More? I served well in Vietnam as an army close support aircraft -- this was possible as the VPAF (North Vietnamese Air force) rarely violated the 17th parallel by flying south of it. I flew slow & long, my pistons thumping but I carried almost every unguided munition in the USAF.

When I flew in 1937 I was a revolution all by myself - the world's first true fighter bomber - twin engined, semi-monocoque construction, low wing cantilever monoplane, twin tails, cannon & bomb armament. I was the original pioneer of the concept of a fast twin engine fighter bomber. For that role I even had leading edge slats which was up there in mid-1930s as the cutting edge of aeronautical design which gave me excellent low and slow handling authority. Who am I? More? The British copied my idea in the Mosquito? more? -- I was overshadowed by my nimble stablemate. I made my mark as a radar equipped night fighter against the bomber hordes of the allies and as a ground attack medium range aircraft on the Eastern Front.
Old 1st August 2020, 23:22   #1249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
All aircraft are beautiful. Paint takes them from beautiful to gorgeous :-) Is the small aircraft model in the south-east corner a Saab Viggen? And which aircraft is in the North-East Corner; an F-15? please share more.

I was at Pearl Harbour, I did the most damage; I made up over half the air fleet that attacked Pearl Harbour yet I was over shadowed by my more famous super maneuverable cousin. Who am I? More? -- ok Fuchida flew in me when he sent the famous signal Tora Tora Tora.

I was designed in WW2 & served on till the mid-1980s. In one of my variants I am the only single engined AEW aircraft ever. Need more clues? :-) Ed Heinemann designed me around a single 2700 hp piston radial. More? I served well in Vietnam as an army close support aircraft -- this was possible as the VPAF (North Vietnamese Air force) rarely violated the 17th parallel by flying south of it. I flew slow & long, my pistons thumping but I carried almost every unguided munition in the USAF.

When I flew in 1937 I was a revolution all by myself - the world's first true fighter bomber - twin engined, semi-monocoque construction, low wing cantilever monoplane, twin tails, cannon & bomb armament. I was the original pioneer of the concept of a fast twin engine fighter bomber. For that role I even had leading edge slats which was up there in mid-1930s as the cutting edge of aeronautical design which gave me excellent low and slow handling authority. Who am I? More? The British copied my idea in the Mosquito? more? -- I was overshadowed by my nimble stablemate. I made my mark as a radar equipped night fighter against the bomber hordes of the allies and as a ground attack medium range aircraft on the Eastern Front.
Not sure about the first, second one Skyraider, third Mosquito?
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 00:31   #1250
BHPian

Quote:
Top left : F-15A/C
To the immediate right of the F-15 : Eurofighter Typhoon
To the right of the Typhoon : F-16C
To the right of the F-16 : Harrier

Bottom row , left to right: MiG-29 , F-14, MiG-29, F/A-18C in camouflage being the only "gift", die cast metal and pre-painted. Rest all are plastic hobby kits, hence my laziness in painting them.

The small white jet is the F-16XL
The Typhoon's tail has been reattached since taking this photo and is no longer grounded

Quote:

1 would be Nakajima Kate?
2 should be Douglas Skyraider
3 should be Messerschmitt Bf110

Last edited by Ricci : 2nd August 2020 at 00:37.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 03:28   #1251
BHPian

Some non Indian planes...

The twin hull flying boat is a Savoia Marchetti S.55, this particular plane christened Jahu crosses the Atlantic from Italy to Rio De janeiro.

The biplane is Sopwith comic( a derivative of the Camel) from world war 1.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ade2c6932ccd43b9a702a44c7dff7528.jpeg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-a00184a4b45940e4b673c026116407e7.jpeg  

basuroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 03:35   #1252
BHPian

And some American machines from Vietnam war. F-105 thunderjet and AH-1z Cobra.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-83468d24542943c19fbaa3a277231330.jpeg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-c2ba39263bdc4389ab2dc4f281421b29.jpeg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-02182dbfa7204c7caa25ec4f60737edf.jpeg  

Old 2nd August 2020, 09:22   #1253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oustanding!!! The textures on the F-105D and AH-1G look very real.

One nitpick, the F-105 was the Thunderchief and the F-84G was the Thunderjet.

Quote:

Can't wait to see them, especially the Skyraider!!!

Last edited by skanchan95 : 2nd August 2020 at 09:31.
skanchan95 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 10:05   #1254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Some non Indian planes...

The twin hull flying boat is a Savoia Marchetti S.55, this particular plane christened Jahu crosses the Atlantic from Italy to Rio De janeiro.
Simply exotic. So realistic. Can't compliment you enough on your skill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
The small white jet is the F-16XL
Ahhh. Would never have guessed that :-)
Quote:
The Typhoon's tail has been reattached since taking this photo and is no longer grounded
:-)
Quote:
1 would be Nakajima Kate?
2 should be Douglas Skyraider
3 should be Messerschmitt Bf110
And the KBC award goes to........Ricci
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:42   #1255
Team-BHP Support

Simply outstanding collections with everyone. I am amazed at the amount of knowledge on this thread, terrific read. Thank you!

Quote:
I love this plane; have a cloth model that I picked ip in SF. Where'd you buys yours?
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 14:50   #1256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
One nitpick, the F-105 was the Thunderchief and the F-84G was the Thunderjet.
!
Thank you 😊, I think I know why I made that blooper, I clicked a bunch of models( I do it in one go for all models built over last 3-6 months) and this is also there.

Quote:
Simply exotic. So realistic. Can't compliment you enough on your skil
Thank you 🤘😊
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-3a532104366849ebb26530a294d84305.jpeg  

basuroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 14:53   #1257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I love this plane; have a cloth model that I picked ip in SF. Where'd you buys yours?
This is a 72nd scale styrene model that I assembled and painted. Not ready made.

Here are couple other biplanes. They are all small enough to fit inside the palm.

The black and white checkered one is a RAF BE.2c and the other one is LVG C.VI . Both are scout planes for artillery spotting and battlefield recon.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ea25fb19219f4806b1875dc5eef9179f.jpeg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bd7250eb07d84cf69e32b2af22bf4e37.jpeg  

Old 2nd August 2020, 18:10   #1258
BHPian

@basuroy sir,

Do you mind letting us know what material you use for these models and what tools do you use, I think these are some really amazingly detailed and articulated pieces of art.

Regards
Ritesh
Dieseltuned is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 21:14   #1259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
@basuroy sir,

Do you mind letting us know what material you use for these models and what tools do you use, I think these are some really amazingly detailed and articulated pieces of art.

Regards
Ritesh
I will share some images to explain. These are made from what is known as scale model kits. They are normally made from styrene but also sometimes from resin. They need to be assembled( as in glued together), painted and then finished. Assembly is not merely attaching one part to another but also entails applying putty to seam lines, sanding them, correcting any mismatch( lesser brands often have design flaws as in where parts don’t line up and this needs scratch building and considerable elbow grease to fix).

I paint my models using an airbrush. Paint used are almost always accurate colours that as specific to the airplane- I prolly have 15 different greens alone specific to different air forces.

This model below is by a brand called Eduard which is top line brand famed for detailed cockpit and such.

I have also included two images of an under construction spitfire cockpit and a SE.5a biplane cockpit.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ab5baafed0ef4ccf9113570df1ece816.jpeg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-a2cdd8a978b94ad9bfb5d72ab1bb3bce.jpeg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-accc894430c6416d875616eb363b3cdc.jpeg  

basuroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 21:14   #1260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
@basuroy sir,

Regards
Ritesh
They are from plastic model kits:

However making models so perfect and realistic requires a lot of skill and patience which few people have.

EDIT: oops just saw @bausuroy answered while I was typing my message

Quote:
Assembly is not merely attaching one part to another but also entails applying putty to seam lines, sanding them, correcting any mismatch( lesser brands often have design flaws as in where parts don’t line up and this needs scratch building and considerable elbow grease to fix).

I paint my models using an airbrush. Paint used are almost always accurate colours that as specific to the airplane- I prolly have 15 different greens alone specific to different air forces.
I was wondering where you get the supplies to assemble these models like plastic cement, gloss paint, clear coat, air brush, fine sand paper etc? Are all these imported from abroad? Many decades I ago I used to live abroad and they were readily available there. In late 90s and early 2000s plastic kits were available in Lucknow but not the supplies required to assemble them. So I used to use super glue and household oil paint to finish the models.

Last edited by Foxbat : 2nd August 2020 at 21:21.
Foxbat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed