Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2018, 20:04   #196
BHPian

re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Bought this JASDF McDonnell Douglas F-4EJ Phantom from Mumbai airport. Diecast. Scale 1:80. Hogan. I simply adore the superb detailing and proportion of Hogan. Sandesh & Foxbat - thank you for introducing me to Hogan. Japan's Mitsubishi license built the Phantom with some modifications for the JASDF. 2 Squadrons are still in service I believe. The 'J' in the designation is for Japan. The 'E' came later when upgrades were installed with reconnaissance and (I think) electronic interdiction ability
Attachment 1741730
Attachment 1741732
Attachment 1741733
Attachment 1741738

Attachment 1741739
The Phantoms in flesh.

Attachment 1741734
Attachment 1741735
Photos of one of the aircraft show cases with a close-up of one box. My wife refuses to let me place them anywhere but my study or the TV room. Poor me. In 31 years I haven't convinced her that my beauties should adorn the drawing & dining rooms.

After all these years and so many models later I am still as happy as an eight year old with a double cone of ice cream. I never tire from admiring my models. Next in line will be a Avro Lancaster (on order with Corgi) and the HAL Rudra made to order by FDM.
The F4 is is really detailed, just wondering where did you buy it in the Mumbai airport? I lived in Mumbai nearly 5 years and never saw any plane on sale in neither the international nor domestic terminal.

Those are really nice show cases with a jaw dropping collection inside. Narayan we will need more pics of those

Last edited by Foxbat : 14th March 2018 at 20:06.
Old 14th March 2018, 20:43   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
The F4 is is really detailed, just wondering where did you buy it in the Mumbai airport? I lived in Mumbai nearly 5 years and never saw any plane on sale in neither the international nor domestic terminal.

Those are really nice show cases with a jaw dropping collection inside. Narayan we will need more pics of those
Its a shop at the new terminal domestic section on the right side after you pass security. Name is F&F - flight and fun or something like that. Sells models and desk top simulator packages. It is towards departure gates 66, 86 etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_9103.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_9099.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_9101.jpg  

Old 14th March 2018, 20:54   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bought this JASDF McDonnell Douglas F-4EJ Phantom from Mumbai airport. Diecast. Scale 1:80. Hogan. I simply adore the superb detailing and proportion of Hogan. Sandesh & Foxbat - thank you for introducing me to Hogan. Japan's Mitsubishi license built the Phantom with some modifications for the JASDF. 2 Squadrons are still in service I believe. The 'J' in the designation is for Japan. The 'E' came later when upgrades were installed with reconnaissance and (I think) electronic interdiction ability
Fantastic addition to your collection Sir. Congratulations!!!

Love the detailing on that model...specially the stencils. This kind of detailing, not many models can match this model...not even Witty Wings and Hobby master military models have that kind of detailing. Good to see the model armed the AAM-3 IR missile(and AIM-7s).

In fact I had mailed Flight4Fantasy about this model, but they nevet bothered to reply.

Japanese F-4Es manufactured by Mitsubishi were designated as F-4EJ. Their RF-4EJs were manufactured by McDonell Douglas and were direct supply aircraft. Their F-4EJs were different from the standard USAF F-4E. They lacked the F-4s bombing computer as Japanese had this self-imposed restrictions on having defensive weapons only, which meant they did not have bombs and rocket pods. They also lacked air to air refuelling capability.

This model of yours is the upgraded F-4EJ Kai. The upgrades included a new radar, upgraded cockpit including HUD, air to ground capability and ability to fire anti-ship missiles.

Quote:
Photos of one of the aircraft show cases with a close-up of one box. My wife refuses to let me place them anywhere but my study or the TV room. Poor me. In 31 years I haven't convinced her that my beauties should adorn the drawing & dining rooms.

After all these years and so many models later I am still as happy as an eight year old with a double cone of ice cream. I never tire from admiring my models. Next in line will be a Avro Lancaster (on order with Corgi) and the HAL Rudra made to order by FDM.
Lovely collection. What scale is that lovely looking Dassault Falcon?
Old 15th March 2018, 15:19   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't need much encouragement :-). You'll get tired of me. I have a grand nephew about 3 years of age. The moment I visit my niece (his mom) he brings all his toys and lays them out in front of his favourite grampy. With aircraft models and me it is something like that!

Thank you for appreciating my collection. It is a case of mutual admiration. Not to mention envy for Mr Jaidevmahambre who has once again disappeared after giving us a teasing glimpse of his models. Actually many many large models have been given away over the years. It is only in the last 3 to 4 years I have started keeping my babies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Japanese F-4Es manufactured by Mitsubishi were designated as F-4EJ..... They lacked the F-4s bombing computer as Japanese had this self-imposed restrictions on having defensive weapons only, which meant they did not have bombs and rocket pods. They also lacked air to air refuelling capability.

This model of yours is the upgraded F-4EJ Kai. The upgrades included a new radar, upgraded cockpit including HUD, air to ground capability and ability to fire anti-ship missiles.
Thanks for the correction and extra information. Every day is a learning day.

Quote:
Lovely collection. What scale is that lovely looking Dassault Falcon?
It is made by FDM - www.factorydirectmodels.com - their standard size is where the longer dimension, between span and length is fixed at 19" and then the remainder is scaled accordingly. The models are all made to order and are built from a mix of wood & resin for the outsides and plastic molds for the cockpit, weapons, fuel tanks etc.

Ok guys. Guess which plane is this. It is photo from my business archives. Hint - the clue is in the fences on the wings' trailing edge. This aircraft is docking at around mid night for a C check.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-aw3.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 15th March 2018 at 15:22.
Old 15th March 2018, 17:19   #200
BHPian

Quote:

Ok guys. Guess which plane is this. It is photo from my business archives. Hint - the clue is in the fences on the wings' trailing edge. This aircraft is docking at around mid night for a C check.
It appears to be from the MD-80/90, Boeing 717 family. Looks too small to be a DC-9. Very similar to my MD-80 pictured below:

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180315_171515.jpg

EDIT: just noticed the position of the engines, its not from the DC-9 , MD-80 , 717 line of aircraft.

Last edited by Foxbat : 15th March 2018 at 17:20.
Old 15th March 2018, 18:49   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I

It is made by FDM - www.factorydirectmodels.com - their standard size is where the longer dimension, between span and length is fixed at 19" and then the remainder is scaled accordingly. The models are all made to order and are built from a mix of wood & resin for the outsides and plastic molds for the cockpit, weapons, fuel tanks etc.
It sure looks fantastic. I assume the Airworks India DC-3, HF-24 and MiG-21 Bison are from the same manufacturer?

Quote:
Wild guesses...one of the Bombardier Challenger variants...650 may be, or Cessna Citation X??
Old 15th March 2018, 19:00   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It appears to be from the MD-80/90, Boeing 717 family. Looks too small to be a DC-9. Very similar to my MD-80 pictured below:

Attachment 1742076

EDIT: just noticed the position of the engines, its not from the DC-9 , MD-80 , 717 line of aircraft.
Your line of search is right. But no it is not the MD-80, DC-9 family. The aircraft went out of production in 1996 when the OEM folded up.

Sandesh, yes the other aircraft too are from FDM. They price the detailing degree you want. So the HF-24 is less and the DC-3 more detailed.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 15th March 2018 at 19:21.
Old 15th March 2018, 19:45   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

is it a Fokker F28 / 70
Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 15th March 2018 at 19:47.
Old 15th March 2018, 20:20   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
is it a Fokker F28 / 70
Jeroen
Spoken like a true Dutch. It is indeed a Fokker. The 100 variant one of my favourite aircraft and the first regional jet in the true sense. Of course from the aft the -70, -100 and -28 are identical

Last edited by V.Narayan : 15th March 2018 at 20:22.
Old 15th March 2018, 20:30   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. The 100 variant one of my favourite aircraft and the first regional jet in the true sense.
They were/are very nice aircraft. The Fokker story is of course a bit sad. As they went under in the late 90s. In those days a real Dutch Technology Icon. They also employed a lot of people. Their factories and offices were a short bicycle ride from where we lived at the time. In those days that was the original Schiphol area, now called Schiphol oost

In my teens I was a member of a Dutch aircraft society group. They organised tours to all the air shows, but also at least once a year to the various Fokker Factories and assembly lines they had in various parts of the country.

They were the first aircraft manufacturer to use glue (very advanced glues I might add) instead of riveting and welding.

My work in the 80/90’s took me very often to South America and Africa and Fokker’s were very popular. From the original F27 to the more recent models. Although some critics suggest Fokker should have stuck to it’s roots of simple very robust propellor planes such as the F27 and that the rot sat in with the F28. Not quite sure if I agree.

Even KLM said farewell to their last Fokker not so long ago. There are still a few Fokker plants left, mainly maintenance.

A little lesser known anorak fact: When the Dutch government decided to purchase the General Dynamics F16, the deal involved Fokker doing a lot of the assembly in the netherlands and it were Dutch F16 test/engineering pilots Fokker employees that took them into the Dutch skies before handing them over to the Dutch airforce

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 15th March 2018 at 20:33.
Old 16th March 2018, 09:19   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They were/are very nice aircraft. The Fokker story is of course a bit sad. As they went under in the late 90s. In those days a real Dutch Technology Icon.
My work in the 80/90’s took me very often to South America and Africa and Fokker’s were very popular. From the original F27 to the more recent models. Although some critics suggest Fokker should have stuck to it’s roots of simple very robust propellor planes such as the F27 and that the rot sat in with the F28. Not quite sure if I agree.
Thank you for sharing. The F28 and the F27 were excellently designed aircraft with very efficient wings and drag. Aircraft like the HS748 and Handley Page Herald were no competition on technical grounds. The F28 was ahead of its times. And if the Dutch Govt had supported Fokker the F70 and F100 would, in my opinion, have creamed the regional jet market of the 1990 to 2005 time frame. Just look at the wing of a F27 or F28 and you can see the brilliance of the design.
Old 16th March 2018, 10:38   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I misread/misimagined the "business archives" part of your post as "Business jet archives"....so in my mind I was looking at business jets only.

Quote:

Sandesh, yes the other aircraft too are from FDM. They price the detailing degree you want. So the HF-24 is less and the DC-3 more detailed.
The HF-24 looks fabulous, can't imagie how good it might look with higher level of detailing. Haven't seen a desktop model of an HF-24 before. You may be the only owner in the country having such fine custom made Indian models.

Aviation72 is coming up with a 1:72 scale model of the Indian AF Gnat F.Mk.1 AKA Sabre Slayer. Foxbat would probably know where to look for it and I imagine this would be there in his To-get list, considering the history of Gnats/Ajeets in the IAF.
Old 16th March 2018, 10:47   #208
BHPian

Quote:
They were the first aircraft manufacturer to use glue (very advanced glues I might add) instead of riveting and welding.

Jeroen
Fascinating! Thanks for such an interesting info. Glue has become such an important part of aircraft components now.

By the way, isn't Fokker producing some structure components still (Of course it is under new owner now)?
Old 16th March 2018, 10:53   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
I misread/misimagined the "business archives" part of your post as "Business jet archives"....so in my mind I was looking at business jets only .
All is forgiven. I cannot afford a business jet so a model has to suffice.

Quote:
Aviation72 is coming up with a 1:72 scale model of the Indian AF Gnat F.Mk.1 AKA Sabre Slayer. Foxbat would probably know where to look for it and I imagine this would be there in his To-get list, considering the history of Gnats/Ajeets in the IAF.
Oh my God. Please, please point me to this place. Pretty please. Foxbat I promise to say that the Gnat you bought was the first in India. God promise. Denzil Keelor was our next door neighbor soon after the 1965 war. He was terrific with kids. As a 6-year old he looked like a rock star to me. With the '65 war's air of excitement Gnat, Sabre, Patton tank were a part of my vocabulary. I would show him the paper planes I made and he was always so patient.
Old 16th March 2018, 13:01   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh my God. Please, please point me to this place. Pretty please. Foxbat I promise to say that the Gnat you bought was the first in India. God promise. Denzil Keelor was our next door neighbor soon after the 1965 war. He was terrific with kids. As a 6-year old he looked like a rock star to me. With the '65 war's air of excitement Gnat, Sabre, Patton tank were a part of my vocabulary. I would show him the paper planes I made and he was always so patient.
Its not been released yet, it will be available soon here. Eventhough the page says it is a Gnat, the serial number(E1974) is that of an Ajeet. The model will be in markings of No.2 Sqdn "Winged Arrows" - which I think was the last IAF squadron to fly Ajeets, before they converted to MiG-27Ms.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-139937_0.jpg

To have then Sqdn Ldr Denzil Keelor as your neighbour and seeing him in flesh must have been a jaw dropping experience. The Keelor brothers hold the rare distinction of brothers having Sabre kills to their credit. IIRC PVS Jagan Mohan's book "India Pakistan Air War of 1965" has narratives of both their Sabre kills in their own words.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 16th March 2018 at 13:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks