Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2018, 13:00   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

[quote=FrozeninTime;4376431]
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Welcome to this thread. Even the Moderators leave us alone:/QUOTE]

Thank You sir. This is one of my favorite threads in this forum. I have a very small collection of 1:500 scale models. My favourite being Boeing 707. I love Air India livery in Boeing 707. It looks class.
All collections are treasures whether small or big...plastic or metal or wooden...budget cost or expensive share with your heart....We look forward to enjoying your collection in photos very soon. Go ahead.
Old 27th March 2018, 21:40   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
Thank You sir. This is one of my favorite threads in this forum. I have a very small collection of 1:500 scale models. My favourite being Boeing 707. I love Air India livery in Boeing 707. It looks class.
Quote:
All collections are treasures whether small or big...plastic or metal or wooden...budget cost or expensive share with your heart....We look forward to enjoying your collection in photos very soon. Go ahead.
Yes, please do post pics of your collection FrozeninTime. Ours is a very rare but proud hobby. I am sure it makes each one of us happy to look at and admire each other's model collection. As Narayan sir said, it doesn't matter what scale and material of the model is, all that matters is that you are passionate about this hobby.
Old 28th March 2018, 00:00   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Yes, please do post pics of your collection FrozeninTime.
[quote=V.Narayan;4376437]
Quote:

Thanks skanchan95 and Narayan sir.

1:500 scale of Il 76 of Indian Airforce
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-20160522_1833101.jpg

One model I like to have is Tu 144. Its quite expensive in ebay and Amazon India prices are simply atrocious. Just waiting for seller lower the price
Old 28th March 2018, 00:48   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

What a unique piece an IAF Gajraj!! Wow, you are a chuppa rustom. Come out with the rest. Yeh dil mange more.
Quote:
Thanks skanchan95 and Narayan sir.

One model I like to have is Tu 144. Its quite expensive in ebay and Amazon India prices are simply atrocious. Just waiting for seller lower the price
Old 28th March 2018, 07:32   #245
BHPian

Quote:

Please share more of your collection!
I am also waiting for a reasonably priced Tu-144 to accompany my reasonably priced Concorde

Speaking of TUs here is a Herpa Diecast 1:200 Tu-154M belonging to CSA (Czech Airlines). I was surprised to learn that CSA is the 5th oldest airlines still in service (since 1923).
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180327_184132.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180327_184211.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180327_184231.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180327_184256.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180327_184341.jpg

The Tu-154 is three-engine medium-range narrow-body airliner designed in the mid-1960s and manufactured by Tupolev and was in production till 2013 with about a 1,000 produced. Its Russia's equivalent of the A320 or 737.

The Actual Aircraft
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-tupolev_tu154m_csa_czech_airlines_jp5993656.jpg

Last edited by Foxbat : 28th March 2018 at 07:45.
Old 28th March 2018, 08:19   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Please share more of your collection!
I am also waiting for a reasonably priced Tu-144 to accompany my reasonably priced Concorde

Speaking of TUs here is a Herpa Diecast 1:200 Tu-154M belonging to CSA (Czech Airlines). I was surprised to learn that CSA is the 5th oldest airlines still in service (since 1923).
Simply beautiful. What a marvelous piece. Foxbat, when you buy a Herpa model do you purchase it from their web site directly? I am hoping to add a few Russians to my collection like Tu-154M above, IL-18, Yak-40 - all, as we know, were successful airliners in Soviet times. My father flew in them as a passenger in the 1960s and 70s and said it wasn't any different in comfort from the western ones.

A little known factoid - The Russians offered the Tu-154 under license to HAL in the 1970s. Unfortunately the advisory group headed by JRD Tata turned it down and said it is better to stick to buying western airliners than build Soviet ones with their lower safety standards, up time, F.E. etc. {committee's words not mine, though the point on F.E. is correct}

The point you state on CSA is new to me. Everyday is a learning day.
Old 28th March 2018, 23:38   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Simply beautiful. What a marvelous piece. Foxbat, when you buy a Herpa model do you purchase it from their web site directly?
I don't buy from the Herpa website, they don't ship to India, I just checked again. I buy most of my models (as for the Tu-154) from https://www.wafflecollectibles.com/

I think they have best prices(during promotions) for diecast models in the US, possibly the whole world They ship to India also but international shipping costs a lot so I ship to a US address and pick it up from there.

This is the first Diecast Herpa model that I have bought, but in my opinion JC Wings and Jet-X make more detailed models.

Quote:

A little known factoid - The Russians offered the Tu-154 under license to HAL in the 1970s. Unfortunately the advisory group headed by JRD Tata turned it down and said it is better to stick to buying western airliners than build Soviet ones with their lower safety standards, up time, F.E. etc. {committee's words not mine, though the point on F.E. is correct}
You are a treasure trove of aviation knowledge

Last edited by Foxbat : 28th March 2018 at 23:54.
Old 29th March 2018, 07:36   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't buy from the Herpa website, they don't ship to India, I just checked again. I buy most of my models (as for the Tu-154) from https://www.wafflecollectibles.com/
This is the first Diecast Herpa model that I have bought, but in my opinion JC Wings and Jet-X make more detailed models.
Many thanks. I agree the shipping costs are stratospheric.
Quote:
You are a treasure trove of aviation knowledge
Thank you Foxbat. My ancient ego and grey hairs love a stroke :-) These are the hazards of reading aircraft books for half a century.
Old 29th March 2018, 08:56   #249
BHPian

I tried my hand at making paper rocket models, starting with an Electron rocket which was the simplest to make. Got the schematic from axm61.wordpress.com and used photo paper to print them out.

Hoping to make some Indian rockets - PSLV and GSLV - next!
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_8696_scale.jpg  

Old 29th March 2018, 13:29   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is quite something great and unique. Do share other models in your collection. I am sure they are unique as well.

Quote:
Very nice.
For some reason, among Russkie airliners, the IL-62 has always appealed to me. Someday I would like to have a model of an IL-62, i know, there won't be one in the livery of an indian airline, but still

Quote:
Thank you Foxbat. My ancient ego and grey hairs love a stroke :-) These are the hazards of reading aircraft books for half a century.
LOL.
Please do share your pics of your library as well. I am sure many of your books would be rare and out of print.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
I tried my hand at making paper rocket models, starting with an Electron rocket which was the simplest to make. Got the schematic from axm61.wordpress.com and used photo paper to print them out.
!
A very different hobby and am reading about this for the first time. Keep going.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 29th March 2018 at 13:32.
Old 29th March 2018, 13:50   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
I tried my hand at making paper rocket models, starting with an Electron rocket which was the simplest to make. Got the schematic from axm61.wordpress.com and used photo paper to print them out.Hoping to make some Indian rockets - PSLV and GSLV - next!
Wow. How unique and impressive. Please share more. A model of an Indian rocket
Guys question for you - if I were to have an Indian rocket custom made then which two would you suggest. I am suddenly all excited by this.
Quote:
For some reason, among Russkie airliners, the IL-62 has always appealed to me. Someday I would like to have a model of an IL-62
Oh God me too. In fact for a brief time in the late 1980s and till 1991 Air India operated the IL-62 on (probably) wet lease from Aeroflot and with Air India's name !!! I saw one at Palam in January 1989. I believe the flight crew was Russian, the cabin crew Indian and at least one cabin crew and one flight crew who spoke English - my sister flew on one to St Petersburg and that's what she told me.
Quote:
Please do share your pics of your library as well. I am sure many of your books would be rare and out of print.
Many are out of print.Never thought of that. Am I that old. Mummy!!?!! Yes many are from the 1960s when I was accumulating them only to gape at the photos. Reading came later and understanding still later. More books were printed on aerospace and defence in earlier years. Sadly not so any more. But the second hand book markets are ever green still.

I have ordered three aircraft - a Lancaster (Corgi 1:72) a Catalina flying boat (Corgi 1:72) and a HAL Rudra to be custom made with a length of ~19". All arriving in June. My wife's going to freak out. I will just lie to her about the price. Darling this is for 129 and then not mention $ or INR
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-5638432932_2101d57ef8_b.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 29th March 2018 at 13:51.
Old 30th March 2018, 01:44   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Oh God me too. In fact for a brief time in the late 1980s and till 1991 Air India operated the IL-62 on (probably) wet lease from Aeroflot and with Air India's name !!! I saw one at Palam in January 1989. I believe the flight crew was Russian, the cabin crew Indian and at least one cabin crew and one flight crew who spoke English - my sister flew on one to St Petersburg and that's what she told me.

I have ordered three aircraft - a Lancaster (Corgi 1:72) a Catalina flying boat (Corgi 1:72) and a HAL Rudra to be custom made with a length of ~19". All arriving in June. My wife's going to freak out. I will just lie to her about the price. Darling this is for 129 and then not mention $ or INR
Suddenly I have become interested in Russian airliners too
Unfortunately models of these planes are rare and obscenely priced.

Narayan where have you ordered these from? custom made or some other source ?
Old 30th March 2018, 11:18   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow. How unique and impressive. Please share more. A model of an Indian rocket
Guys question for you - if I were to have an Indian rocket custom made then which two would you suggest. I am suddenly all excited by this.
Did not not know that. Thanks for the information. Air India has such a rich history and had such variety of aircraft in its fleet!!!

Quote:
Many are out of print.Never thought of that. Am I that old. Mummy!!?!! Yes many are from the 1960s when I was accumulating them only to gape at the photos. Reading came later and understanding still later. More books were printed on aerospace and defence in earlier years. Sadly not so any more. But the second hand book markets are ever green still.
That is old . Many of those books in your collection must be very rare. The oldest one I have in my collection is Air Chief Marshal P C Lal's Autobiography (2nd Edition printed in 1987, which I bought in 2004 from Lancers). Aviation books are rare now, I am glad I bought IAF squadron history books when they were available. Pushpindar Singh's No. 7 Sqdn book - "Battle Axes" is quite a detailed and good read.

Quote:
Very nice selections.
Can't wait to see the Rudra model . It looks dull in IAF's all grey livery but in the Army Aviation Corps all black livery, it looks menacing.
Old 30th March 2018, 19:44   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Suddenly I have become interested in Russian airliners too
Quote:
Narayan where have you ordered these from? custom made or some other source ?
The Corgi models are from Corgi-Hornby UK at
https://www.corgi.co.uk/shop/aircraft/planes.html
They deliver to India too but the extra cost is huge. Quality and detail is good. You'll even find my 'reviews' there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Did not not know that. Thanks for the information. Air India has such a rich history and had such variety of aircraft in its fleet!!!
And Lockheed Tristars L1011-500 in the early and mid 1980s.....In 1981 or so Air India decided this was the best suited aircraft for its medium routes and wanted to place an order but sadly Lockheed said we are not taking orders and shutting down in 1984 after standing orders are fulfilled. A most beautiful aircraft.

Quote:
Can't wait to see the Rudra model . It looks dull in IAF's all grey livery but in the Army Aviation Corps all black livery, it looks menacing.
Yes the black one with all the little aerials et al.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-l1011ind.jpg  

Old 31st March 2018, 10:01   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And Lockheed Tristars L1011-500 in the early and mid 1980s.....In 1981 or so Air India decided this was the best suited aircraft for its medium routes and wanted to place an order but sadly Lockheed said we are not taking orders and shutting down in 1984 after standing orders are fulfilled. A most beautiful aircraft.
The old 'Ten Eleven'!!! I wonder why they(and the 757/767s) never had a VT- registration. In my eyes, the L1011 was the most pleasing looking trijet after the DC-10. Herpa and Inflight had 1:200 scale models of an Air India L1011. Not sure if it is still available.

Most Viewed