Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2016, 19:47   #16
BHPian

re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

Narayan sir,

Exceptional thread and brilliant detailing. I just had one query, is it possible to source a model of the IAF TEJAS (LCA) . This aircraft has created history and is something we Indians should be very proud of. I would like to have a model of this aircraft at home. Is it possible to source such a model ?

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 11th October 2016, 12:31   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Narayan sir,

Exceptional thread and brilliant detailing. I just had one query, is it possible to source a model of the IAF TEJAS (LCA) . This aircraft has created history and is something we Indians should be very proud of. I would like to have a model of this aircraft at home. Is it possible to source such a model ?
I don't know where a good diecast model can be purchased of the Tejas LCA. I don't think any of the main manufacturers have made one yet. I plan to get one made through Factory Direct Models and that would take a few months.

In the meantime some more for your viewing pleasure.

Boeing 737

The Boeing 737 in its latest avataar the 4th generation 737-Max. It has not yet come in Spicejet colours and this scale model is a rendition of what it could look like. The Boeing 737 is the worlds most built commercial jet airliner ever with over 9213 produced to date and a further 4350 on order. The prototype first flew in 1967 and since then the aircraft has evolved through four generations and several variants. This rugged reliable machine carries between 120 to 200 passengers depending on the variant and seat configuration (business vs economy, seat pitch etc). The two big improvements in the MAX versus earlier versions is the fuel sipping CFM LEAP engines and raked winglets that reduce drag.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-a1-737.jpg
Unit costs ~ USD110 million. My ride in a future lifetime

Avro 748

The Avro 748 is the last design and aircraft that came out of the famous Avro aircraft company of Britain. This machine while not a world beater was rugged and simple and a few dozen still fly with the IAF in secondary transport duties 30 to 40 years after they left the factory. Older BHPians will recall the ubiquitous Avro of Indian Airlines flying the secondary routes to Raipur, Jaipur, Ranchi, Coimbatore, Rajkot etc. The airliner was designed in 1960 as a 40 seater with a healthy leg space between seat rows. The Avro was powered by 2 Rolls Royce Dart turbo-props generating between 2000 to 2290 shp. In Indian summer conditions take off was sometimes a challenge. I recall several instances in summer at airports like Jabalpur where the pilot would limit the passengers to 32 to reduce weight to aid take off from a short runway on a hot day! Not wanting to break-up a family or disturb the elderly he would ask for single men to get off. I have helped Indian Airlines' Avros take off on hot summer days.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-a2-748.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-a3-748.jpg
Corgi Model 1:72 scale
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-a3-avro-iaf.jpg
In IAF colours; soldiering on

SPAD Fighter - World War I

The SPAD fighter family of World War I - this was a family of famous French fighters of a hundred years ago. It was built in many marks each a incremental improvement. The final and most developed mark the S.XIII was powered by a 220 hp piston engine and reached a top speed of ~210 kmph. It weighed all of 850 kgs fully loaded. It was armed with two machine guns that fired through the propeller blades (as it spun) with an interruptor gear to help avoid the bullets hit the props!! The construction was from a mix of aluminum & wooden frame and canvas covering skin.The power plant of this fighter, from an earlier age, make one wonder how over powered our cars are today.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-a3-spad.jpg
It was the mount of choice of vaunted Allied aces such as the French Georges Guynemer, Rene Fonck and American Eddie Rickenbaker

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-a4-spad.jpg
Plastic model. Bought by my kids as a surprise birthday gift, for me, in 1999 for Rs 50/- allegedly from money they had earned. The pilot has been lost to father time.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-a5-spad-fighter.jpg
The real SPAD

Thank you for viewing my models. You cannot take the boy out of a man

Last edited by V.Narayan : 11th October 2016 at 12:38.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 15:32   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Tintin and a Fokker Trimotor from the late-1920s/ early-1930s. My son purchased this from a shop in Singapore that is dedicated to Tintin memorabilia! He was home on leave and decided to be nice to his old man. This is a diecast model made in the likeness of a Trimotor but not perfectly with details. Nevertheless the finish and paint work is of a high quality.

The Fokker Trimotor was one of the first aircraft built dedicated for passenger flying. It entered service in 1925 powered by three 220hp air-cooled Wright radial motors and could carry a useful load of 8 to 10 fare paying passengers. The reliability that the 3 engines gave made it a worthy machine to be the first to cross the Pacific from Australia to USA. Its success is illustrated by the fact that in the 1920s it saw service with 18 airlines and 12 air forces.

Note the black radio aerial wire strung across the length of the airframe and the streamlined cowlings for the landing gear. All this must have given it a very modern look in 1925.

Tintin seems to be saying, "please Sabena airlines don't drag me out just 'cos I am a full fare paying passenger. Only United Airlines has the privilege of doing that"
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-20170422_143603.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-20170422_143739.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 22nd April 2017 at 15:41.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 23:09   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
a Fokker Trimotor
That looks more like a Junkers Ju52, especially the engine layout and the cockpit area. Though it misses on the corrugated sheet metal.

It is a lovely looking model and like the Tintin tuft of hair.
Old 22nd April 2017, 23:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Avro 748

The Avro 748 is the last design and aircraft that came out of the famous Avro aircraft company of Britain. This machine while not a world beater was rugged and simple and a few dozen still fly with the IAF in secondary transport duties 30 to 40 years after they left the factory. Older BHPians will recall the ubiquitous Avro of Indian Airlines flying the secondary routes to Raipur, Jaipur, Ranchi, Coimbatore, Rajkot etc.
The first time I flew was in this aircraft. Indian Airlines Goa-Bangalore and back. I remember this flight very well. Also memorable was the return flight as I was sitting next to Shekar Kapur in the departure lounge and had a short chat with him. He was a TV serial actor then.
Old 23rd April 2017, 08:31   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
That looks more like a Junkers Ju52, especially the engine layout and the cockpit area. Though it misses on the corrugated sheet metal.
Aiel, You are right in this that the two air craft (and the Ford tri-motor) shared an identical layout. My assumption of Fokker Tri-Motor stems from the Sabena Airlines logo. Sabena flew these in the 1926 to late 1930s period. Their tail numbers were OO- AGY, AIR, AGH, AWI and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
The first time I flew was in this aircraft. Indian Airlines Goa-Bangalore and back. I remember this flight very well. Also memorable was the return flight as I was sitting next to Shekar Kapur in the departure lounge and had a short chat with him. He was a TV serial actor then.
Captain, aahh memories. I used this aircraft endlessly in the 1980s on the Indore-Bhopal-Jabalpur-Raipur sector of Indian Airlines. You may be having scale models of the big rigs you sail in. Please do post them. I loved your post of your bridge. I have always been awed by the way Captains steer and maneuver their big ships given the response lag and affects of sea and wind. In an aircraft the response is instantaneous while in a ship you need to think well a lot ahead.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 23rd April 2017 at 08:51.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 08:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You may be having scale models of the big rigs you sail in. Please do post them.
Unfortunately I don't have any but there are some in our office. I'll take some pictures when I visit the office next.

Quote:
I loved your post of your bridge. I have always been awed by the way Captains steer and maneuver their big ships given the response lag and affects of sea and wind. In an aircraft the response is instantaneous while in a ship you need to think well a lot ahead.
True. Compared to Aircrafts, ships crawl. At max RPM we can do 15-16 Kts. But most of the time we are ordered to do around 13.5 Kts in the interest of fuel efficiency.
Old 23rd April 2017, 09:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Aiel, You are right in this that the two air craft (and the Ford tri-motor) shared an identical layout. My assumption of Fokker Tri-Motor stems from the Sabena Airlines logo. Sabena flew these in the 1926 to late 1930s period. Their tail numbers were OO- AGY, AIR, AGH, AWI and so on.
I think both of us are mistaken. OO-AGY was a SABCA / Savoia Marchetti S-73P, which operated for Sabena.

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/OO-AGY.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savoia-Marchetti_S.73

The pictures are also a match, including the window line.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-savoia_marchetti_s.73.jpg  

Last edited by Aiel : 23rd April 2017 at 09:07.
Aiel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 18:15   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
I think both of us are mistaken. OO-AGY was a SABCA / Savoia Marchetti S-73P, which operated for Sabena.

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/OO-AGY.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savoia-Marchetti_S.73

The pictures are also a match, including the window line.
Aiel, By jove you are right. I was not even aware of this fourth tri-motor. Good to keep learning. It is indeed a S-73P
Old 23rd April 2017, 18:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Aiel, By jove you are right. I was not even aware of this fourth tri-motor. Good to keep learning. It is indeed a S-73P
Congrats on being the proud owner of a S-37P, instead of a near replica of a Tri-motor (as indicated by your earlier post).

I also learned of this tri-motor, when trying to read up on tri-motors (inspired by your post).
Old 10th May 2017, 19:28   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

HMS Victory

HMS Victory is probably the most well known warship amongst naval enthusiasts. She was the flagship of Admiral Horatio Nelson the most famous and capable of British Admirals. He was killed on board this ship just as he successfully defeated the combined fleets of France & Spain in 1805 at the Battle of Trafalgar. It was from HMS victory he sent the now famous signal, ' England expects every man will do his duty'. In this battle 33 British ships faced off with 41 French & Spainsh. The combined fleets of France and Spain lost 22 warships against nil for the English. Quite a score 22-0.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20160911_092404.jpg
Wooden scale model of HMS Victory. She displaced 3500 tonnes and was 227 feet in length which made her a very big ship for her time.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20160911_092506.jpg
Her sails covered an area of 5400 sq metres and at full rig could drive her at 11 knots (~20 kmph) which also made her a relatively fast ship.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20160911_092557.jpg
She had three decks of guns with 104 cannons in all firing. They mainly fired 24 lbs and 12 lbs cannon balls. 2 cannons in the front however fired 68 lbs cannon balls. In those days the cannon balls were made of solid iron with no explosives inside. They were meant to cause damage through pure kinetic energy.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-hms_victory_2015.jpg
The real HMS Victory is preserved today in Portsmouth dry dock.

This wooden scale model is about 24 inches long.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 10th May 2017 at 19:40.
Old 11th May 2017, 21:22   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Tintin and a Fokker Trimotor from the late-1920s/ early-1930s. My son purchased this from a shop in Singapore that is dedicated to Tintin memorabilia! He was home on leave and decided to be nice to his old man. This is a diecast model made in the likeness of a Trimotor but not perfectly with details. Nevertheless the finish and paint work is of a high quality.

The Fokker Trimotor was one of the first aircraft built dedicated for passenger flying. It entered service in 1925 powered by three 220hp air-cooled Wright radial motors and could carry a useful load of 8 to 10 fare paying passengers. The reliability that the 3 engines gave made it a worthy machine to be the first to cross the Pacific from Australia to USA. Its success is illustrated by the fact that in the 1920s it saw service with 18 airlines and 12 air forces.

Note the black radio aerial wire strung across the length of the airframe and the streamlined cowlings for the landing gear. All this must have given it a very modern look in 1925.

Tintin seems to be saying, "please Sabena airlines don't drag me out just 'cos I am a full fare paying passenger. Only United Airlines has the privilege of doing that"

This aircraft appears in the Tintin book King Ottokar's sceptre.
Here's a pic from the book.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-imageuploadedbyteambhp1494517920.210624.jpg
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 21:26   #28
BANNED

This is the right place for these pictures.
Here's my Sopwith Camel and the Fokker Triplane I just ordered.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-imageuploadedbyteambhp1494518169.486728.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-imageuploadedbyteambhp1494518177.684499.jpg
Old 12th May 2017, 20:06   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This aircraft appears in the Tintin book King Ottokar's sceptre.
Here's a pic from the book.
Attachment 1637956
Whoopee. Thanks. So cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This is the right place for these pictures.
Here's my Sopwith Camel and the Fokker Triplane I just ordered.
Attachment 1637958
Attachment 1637959
Both planes look delightful. Please post your photos of the Red Fokker once it arrives.
Old 12th May 2017, 20:16   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Whoopee. Thanks. So cute.

Both planes look delightful. Please post your photos of the Red Fokker once it arrives.
I will.
I also have a Supermarine Spitfire and a De Havilland Mosquito
Will take pics tomorrow and post.

Planning to get a Messerschmitt ME109F also soon.

Most Viewed