BHPian

Scale Models - Aircrafts & Ships

1:72 Grumman F-14B "Tomcat" VF-103 "Jolly Rogers" AA100

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180912_173432.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180912_173527.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180912_1736392.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180912_1747012.jpg

The Real Plane
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-screen-shot-20180912-8.52.34-pm.png

This model was ordered from China via eBay and for some reason customs detained it for 2+ weeks and assessed its value to be 4x of the declared value and 2x of what I paid for it including shipping and I ended paying customs duty of nearly 100%

On top that I think they broke it while opening it and putting it back in the packaging and I had to glue both the tail fins, missiles and landing gear back on although some of the damage was unrepairable. However I have a soft corner for the Tomcat as its my favourite American fighter and probably the first one I could identify in my childhood, hence I didn't return it
Old 14th September 2018, 14:26   #512
Senior - BHPian

re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
1:72 US Air Force F-16C 187th Fighter Wing.
Wow!!!! Eventhough Easy Model models are plastic, they have great detailing and make for great display pieces

Quote:
I have the same model but in VF-143 markings. It is a fabulous looking model. and the Skull n Bones markings on on the Tomcat model just makes it perfect. Good to see Mutha written on the tail. It means the scheme is from the year the squadron won the Mutha Trophy.

The original "Jolly Rogers" were VF-84, after that squadron was de-established, VF-103 "Sluggers" took on the name Jolly Rogers. VF-103 traded in their TOmcats for new Super Hornets and got re-designated as VFA-103.

VF-84's Tomcats were among the most famous, attractive and well painted Tomcats in the USN Tomcat fleet. If you've seen the movie 'The Final Countdown', the F-14s dogfighting with Japanese Zeroes were from VF-84.

Great additions the F-16 & F-14 are to your fleet. Congratulations!!!

Quote:
This model was ordered from China via eBay and for some reason customs detained it for 2+ weeks and assessed its value to be 4x of the declared value and 2x of what I paid for it including shipping and I ended paying customs duty of nearly 100%

On top that I think they broke it while opening it and putting it back in the packaging and I had to glue both the tail fins, missiles and landing gear back on although some of the damage was unrepairable. However I have a soft corner for the Tomcat as its my favourite American fighter and probably the first one I could identify in my childhood, hence I didn't return it
This is one of the reasons why I am petrified of ordering from abroad - the infamous Indian Customs Dept. They are notorious for "estimating" value, mishandling things are charging duties according to their wishes and fancies. My Sea Harrier from Aliexpress got damaged when they opened it and I have strong reasons to believe they did the damage on purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I notice you are edging towards the Yanks. What heh! Skanchan's magic is working on you

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ds.jpg
Just kidding, our love for aviation should not be governed by geo-politics of differences in opinion. An Su-27 is just as beautiful as an F-15 and should be admired.

Quote:
HAL Rudra, Medium Attack Helicopter, Indian Army colours

After a patient wait of 4 months the new toy is here

I don't have words to express how delighted I am looking at the model. It is probably the one of kind one in the world right now and it must be a wonderful feeling for you. Its just so beautiful and so detailed!!! I am saving those pics on my mobile phone just to ogle at it when I can. I am sure HAL or the IAF and IAAC won't have a such a detailed looking scale model of the Rudra in their possession. Congratulations proud owner!!!!
Old 14th September 2018, 15:58   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Great model. All set for a dogfight with Sidewinder, Sparrow and the Phoenix. Congratulations on a first class new asset. Sad about the customs. Funny thing how are worthy Customs & Excise chaps have so much spare time to assess the price of every small gift box coming in. What with the F-16 and now F-14 - reminds me of Jim Morrison's song (from hamara zamana) 'break on through to the other side....':-) I think Kanchan has given you a blood transfusion

You may want to place photos of your F-14 and F-16 together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Just kidding, our love for aviation should not be governed by geo-politics of differences in opinion. An Su-27 is just as beautiful as an F-15 and should be admired.
Yup. Second that all the way.

Quote:
Its just so beautiful and so detailed!!! I am saving those pics on my mobile phone just to ogle at it when I can. I am sure HAL or the IAF and IAAC won't have a such a detailed looking scale model of the Rudra in their possession. Congratulations proud owner!!!!
Thank you very much. I am flattered. Kiran HJT-16 is W-I-P. After that the Tejas.
Old 14th September 2018, 18:13   #514
BHPian

Scale Models - Aircrafts & Ships

Quote:
Wow!!!! Eventhough Easy Model models are plastic, they have great detailing and make for great display pieces

I have the same model but in VF-143 markings. It is a fabulous looking model.
Yes I remember your post earlier and admiring your Tomcat. I also remember you saying its a flimsy model. I now agree with that 100%, its been broken multiple times since it came two days back by just picking it up and I have spent quite some time putting it back together. I just wish it was better made like the Hogan plastic models.

Quote:
What with the F-16 and now F-14 - reminds me of Jim Morrison's song (from hamara zamana) 'break on through to the other side....':-) I think Kanchan has given you a blood transfusion

You may want to place photos of your F-14 and F-16 together.
Yup. Second that all the way.
I grew up in the US and moved to India when I was in my early teens. Its in the US I developed at interest in aviation and started building and collecting models. US fighter plane models were common and Soviet models were rare and I think out of the 25+ models I must have built all were US planes except 2 Mig-29s (1:72 and 1:48 Scale).

So I have actually switched sides many times over the years

As requested, The Tomcat is huge in comparison to the Falcon.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180914_173003.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180914_1730262.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180914_1734342.jpg
Soon I will complete my teen series of F- aircraft, if Indian customs lets me.

Last edited by Foxbat : 14th September 2018 at 18:17.
Old 14th September 2018, 21:16   #515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I grew up in the US and moved to India when I was in my early teens. Its in the US I developed at interest in aviation and started building and collecting models. US fighter plane models were common and Soviet models were rare and I think out of the 25+ models I must have built all were US planes except 2 Mig-29s (1:72 and 1:48 Scale).
Building models, as you did, is considered a superior art and hobby than merely collecting them, as I did & still do.

Quote:
Beautiful. Interesting to see the large wing area of the Tomcat. While in the early years the engines gave trouble the aerodynamics, acceleration, endurance and load carrying capability were always tops
Old 15th September 2018, 09:22   #516
BHPian

Quote:
This is one of the reasons why I am petrified of ordering from abroad - the infamous Indian Customs Dept. They are notorious for "estimating" value, mishandling things are charging duties according to their wishes and fancies. My Sea Harrier from Aliexpress got damaged when they opened it and I have strong reasons to believe they did the damage on purpose.
!
Even I get petrified in ordering product from abroad as they had damaged some of my models.

With rupee on downward spiral and Current account deficit widening Government may look to curb non-essential imports. So will importing if scale models be banned?
Old 16th September 2018, 14:12   #517
Distinguished - BHPian

Focke Wulf Condor Fw 200 Long Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft; Atlas 1:144 scale
The model is just less than 7 inches in length and has a wingspan of 9 inches odd.

The Focke-Wulf Fw 200 Condor was a German all-metal four-engined monoplane originally developed by Focke-Wulf as a long-range airliner. A Japanese request for a long-range maritime patrol aircraft led to military versions that saw service with the Luftwaffe as long-range reconnaissance and anti-shipping/maritime patrol bomber aircraft. The Luftwaffe also made extensive use of the Fw 200 as a transport.

The Fw 200 was designed Dr. Kurt Tank of Focke-Wulf for Deutsche Lufthansa as a landplane to carry passengers, non-stop, across the Atlantic Ocean to the USA. At that time this was unusual, as airlines used seaplanes on long over-water routes. To fly long distances economically, the Fw 200 was designed to cruise at an altitude of over 10,000 feet - as high as possible without a pressure cabin. Existing airliners were designed to cruise at altitudes below 5,000 feet. The Fw 200 was the world’s first modern four-engined airliner. Like the condor bird, the Fw 200 had a very long wingspan, to facilitate high-altitude flight.

The aircraft was used for maritime patrols and reconnaissance, searching for Allied convoys and warships that could be reported for targeting by U-boats. The aircraft had an endurance of 14 hours – a very creditable figure even for today. And it cruised at 335 kmph powered by 4 radial, air-cooled, 9-cylinder engines each developing 1200 shp. The armament was 1000 kgs of bomb load internally plus 5400 kgs slung under the wings. It attacked merchant ships by dropping a pattern of 3 bombs bracketing the target almost always ensuring one would hit.

The structure proved to be weaker than needed and few survived WW-II. The last in service was one with the Spainish Air Force that was retired in 1950. One was converted to a VIP configuration and used by Hitler as his personal transport.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180916_131312.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180916_131325.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180916_131335.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180916_131401.jpg  

Old 16th September 2018, 23:27   #518
BHPian

Quote:
The model is just less than 7 inches in length and has a wingspan of 9 inches odd.
One of the legendary planes from WWII from Focke-Wulf. I just noticed I was spelling "Wulf" wrong by using the English "Wolf" all these years.

No example survives intact, but one wreck was raised from a crash in the water in Norway and is currently is in process of being restored at the German Technological Museum in Berlin. http://company.airbus.com/company/he...he-Condor.html

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-condorsalvagecarousel1.20170322100248.jpg

Another example of our similar tastes I was eyeing a Condor on Ebay for a long time similar to this one but the odd scale of 1:144 prevented me from buying it. I always wanted to buy one in Lufthansa livery but it was prohibitively expensive.
Old 17th September 2018, 10:26   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After that the Tejas.
I bet it will be another one a kind model in the world. I do hope you get one made in the FOC standards with the IFR probe.

Quote:
Yes I remember your post earlier and admiring your Tomcat. I also remember you saying its a flimsy model. I now agree with that 100%, its been broken multiple times since it came two days back by just picking it up and I have spent quite some time putting it back together. I just wish it was better made like the Hogan plastic models.
Yeah, at times the port wing does not fully sweep back. But the shape of teh model is perfect. I really liked their Hornet model, I had set my sights on a USMC F/A-18D but had been delaying it. The customs horror stories makes me even more hesitant now.

Quote:
So I have actually switched sides many times over the years

A double agent

Thanks for the pics. They look fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
Even I get petrified in ordering product from abroad as they had damaged some of my models.

With rupee on downward spiral and Current account deficit widening Government may look to curb non-essential imports. So will importing if scale models be banned?
From what I know, a lot of people order scale models of different things from abroad. There is nothing you can do to prove that the model was damaged by customs. A dealer too told me this, sometimes those shameless customs fellows beg for baksheesh in the form of an expensive scale model, just to let the consignment pass(that too after payment of all duties and charges). This is the reason why I do not buy from abroad and prefer the safer option of buying locally. Aliexpress was earlier a relatively safe option. But these days even small envelopes from China invite special attention and ire of customs I suppose. I got a 10X12 cms patch worth INR 150 odd from China delivered to me after nearly one and a half months after its arrival in Kolkata. So a box that contains a 1:72 model will be opened for sure and chances of damage are extremely high.

Quote:
Superb model, what make? I think I had seen a similar looking one on Aliexpress.
Old 18th September 2018, 15:02   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Fokker Dr.I Dreidecker. Corgi 1:48 scale
The model is not as detailed as Corgi's usually are. Model length just less than 5"

The Fokker Dr.I (Dreidecker, "triplane" in German), often known simply as the Fokker Triplane, was a World War I fighter aircraft built by Fokker-Flugzeugwerke. The Dr.I saw widespread service in the spring of 1918. It became famous as the aircraft in which Manfred von Richthofen gained his last 19 victories, and in which he was killed on 21 April 1918.

Planes of that era were biplanes or triplanes as multiple wings offered more lift, greatly reduced wing loading (fully laden weight/wing area) that helped maneuverability and structurally were easier to build. A bi-lane offered about 20% more lift than a monoplane with a single wing of the same size and a triplane about a further 10% to 15% more only. Triplanes gave higher rates of climb and tighter turning radius compared to a biplane with the same wingspan. The closest British equivalent was the Sopwith Triplane. Sopwith was the original name of the company and design team that later traded under the brand name 'Hawker'. The Fokker Dr1’s wing structure was prone to collapse in steep and fast dives or strong winds - a trait common to all triplanes. This scale model is a replica of the aircraft von Richthofen flew in at the time of his death. Triplanes went out of fashion in the 1920s as wing structures for monoplanes became more effective and safe.

Length: 5.2m
Wingspan: 7.2m
Max Weight 586 kgs !!!
Power Plant: 11p shp rotary air-cooled 9-cylinder engine
Top speed: 185 kmph
Max. Altitude: 20,000 feet
Armament: 2 x 7.92mm machine guns
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180916_132012.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180916_132019.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180916_132026.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180916_132041.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20180916_132057.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 18th September 2018 at 15:09.
Old 21st September 2018, 01:11   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Fokker Dr.I Dreidecker. Corgi 1:48 scale
The model is not as detailed as Corgi's usually are. Model length just less than 5"
A rather exotic and historically significant aircraft model added to your collection We share an interest in old exotic German machinery

As a child I saw a full scale replica of this plane in a museum in the US:

https://www.neam.org/ac-fokker-dr1.php

Name:  Screen Shot 20180921 at 1.09.32 am.png
Views: 589
Size:  258.9 KB
Even at that time I was surprised at how tiny it was compared to the Phantoms and Mig-21 parked near it.

Quote:

Power Plant: 11p shp rotary air-cooled 9-cylinder engine
I think 110 shaft horse power would be better!

Last edited by Foxbat : 21st September 2018 at 01:14.
Old 21st September 2018, 21:52   #522
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^^^

Interesting documentary of Jasta 11, the Red Baron's squadron with modern day replicas flying with a commentary on each of the main pilots. Watch from 2 min 45sec mark. The Red Baron flew in this aircraft with its red colour scheme only towards the last few months of his career but it is arguably the most recognized individual fighter in the world today. AlphaKilo would concur :-)
Old 27th September 2018, 22:02   #523
BHPian

Maybe me in the future?

Irishman Donates World's Largest Model Aircraft Collection
Old 28th September 2018, 00:38   #524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Nice! I like he donates his whole collection so it can go on public display, rather than it going to the next collector! Love the F-86 Sabre!

Jeroen
Old 28th September 2018, 18:53   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Power to you Foxbat. Way to go. I like his civic sense of donating to a institution. Gotta visit Shannon now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks