Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2019, 16:57   #691
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
1:72 Hawker Siddley/BAe Harrier GR.3 XV778 No.1 Squadron RAF (Altaya)
Quote:
1:100 Air Asia India Airbus A320NEO (Lysia)
Addition to my A320 fleet - the largest one in terms of scale.
skanchan95, brother you are on a roll I must say. The Harrier is one of those all time uniques you can never fall out of love with. In the 50's and 60's many prototypes for VTOL were tried out by USA, USSR, France, Germany, UK etc. Only the British worked out the solution of a centrally mounted engine at both the gravitational and aerodynamic centre of the aircraft with four vectoring nozzles the two in front blown by the cold big fan and the two at the rear blown by the hot gases. Getting all four nozzles to rotate exactly and equally as desired through a single control in days of hydraulic controls was the third marvel of this aircraft.

Nice big Air Asia. How many A320s now in your fleet.
Old 11th January 2019, 18:44   #692
BHPian

Quote:
1:72 Hawker Siddley/BAe Harrier GR.3 XV778 No.1 Squadron RAF (Altaya)
Nice to see both the Air Force and Navy versions together. The Sea Harrier in my opinion is the better looking one with the more proportioned nose.

What brand is this? plastic or diecast?

Quote:
1:100 Air Asia India Airbus A320NEO (Lysia)
Addition to my A320 fleet - the largest one in terms of scale. Compliments the two 1/150 Air Asia India A320s in my collection. Unlike the 1/150 models, this does not have landing gear.
This one will compliment your 1:100 Spice Jet 737. I wonder why have they skipped on the landing gear, doesn't make sense at the price they are charging for this. This one was bought on board the flight ? How is the detailing compared to the 1:150 models you have ?

I saw this on a recent Air Asia flight and almost bought it but then cancelled when I remembered the disappointing quality of the 1:200 model I had bought before.
Old 11th January 2019, 18:50   #693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
skanchan95, brother you are on a roll I must say. The Harrier is one of those all time uniques you can never fall out of love with. In the 50's and 60's many prototypes for VTOL were tried out by USA, USSR, France, Germany, UK etc. Only the British worked out the solution of a centrally mounted engine at both the gravitational and aerodynamic centre of the aircraft with four vectoring nozzles the two in front blown by the cold big fan and the two at the rear blown by the hot gases. Getting all four nozzles to rotate exactly and equally as desired through a single control in days of hydraulic controls was the third marvel of this aircraft.

Due to virtual no automation, very challenging to fly and in particular to hover. Pilots compared it to balancing a plane on top of a pin!

I used to frequent all airshows in Europe in the 70s-80s with a good friend of mine. I was always amazed on how agile the Harrier appeared in the air. The RAF used to give great demo's. I remember the very first time we saw the F16 being put through it's paces, we looked at each other and thought the same: The Harrier could do better. I am not sure that was entirely true, Difficult to judge as a layman from the ground. This was also the very early version of the F16 still in the blue/red/white general dynamic colours, but still.

The American marines used their own version of the Harrier as well, of course.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 11th January 2019 at 18:52.
Old 11th January 2019, 20:11   #694
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Due to virtual no automation, very challenging to fly and in particular to hover. Pilots compared it to balancing a plane on top of a pin!
Very true. And very high on maintenance and low on range. But still it gave organic air power to many medium sized navies.
Old 12th January 2019, 12:03   #695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me count
1:100
Air Asia India A320NEO

1:150
Air Asia India A320 (Standard Livery)
Air Asia India A320 (JRD Tata Livery)

1:200
Indian Airlines A320 VT-EYH
Indian Airlines A320 VT-EVP
Indigo A320 VT-IFZ
Airbus House Colours A320NEO
PIA A320 AP-BLC
Luftwaffe A319 15+02

1:400
Air India A320NEO VT-EXF

Total : 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
What brand is this? plastic or diecast?
Same as your SMB.2 - Altaya.

Quote:
This one was bought on board the flight ? How is the detailing compared to the 1:150 models you have ?
I bought from DBJets. Detailing is slightly better than the 1/150 ones. The model has overwing exit markings and silver coloured panels on the wings , which are missing on the 1/150 ones. Paint quality is a little iffy on the 1/100 model though.

1:72 EF-2000 FGR.4 No. 29 Squadron RAF 100th anniversary(JC Wings)
In 2015, Royal Air Force No.29 Squadron celebrated its 100th year in service. To help mark the occasion, one of their Eurofighter Typhoons was painted in special markings depicting, amongst other things, some of the various aircraft flown by the squadron in years gone by.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ef_1.jpg

505th of 600 manufactured...
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ef_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ef_3.jpg
Wondering why they XXX had been painted on the canards instead of XXIX( to represent 29? Since the late 1920s, the squadron marking has been three (red) Xs (XXX). Since this closely resembles the Roman numeral for "29" (XXIX) there is a belief among current squadron personnel that this originated as a "misspelling" of the Roman numeral. Although various versions of the tradition are put forward, the most common explanation is that a mis-understood instruction to ground crew to paint "2 X's in front of the roundel and IX behind it" meaning "X,X,(roundel), and 'IX' or 'one-X'" resulted in "XX(roundel)'one times' X". In fact, the marking was always applied as "XXX(roundel)XXX" or as "XXX(roundel)" on smaller types, such as Siskins.

It seems probable that the original adoption of "XXX" for the 1930s squadron marking was nothing to do with Roman numerals, but was a reference to the brewers' mark for "extra strong", frequently applied to kegs of beer, and that it is only a coincidence that this resembles the numeral for "29" (XXIX). It should be noted that the use of Roman numerals for numbering RAF units is a relatively modern development and it was certainly not the practice in the RAF in the 1920s. Nor, so far as it is known, has 29 squadron ever been officially referred to as "XXX squadron" – or as "XXIX squadron".
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ef_4.jpg
Flight Lieutenant Jonny Dowen - RAF EF-2000 Display Pilot , whose flew this aircraft in that livery
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-1image.jpg

The tail has depictions of three aircraft flown by the 29 squadron in the last 100 years. can't make out the first and the third one but the middle one is easily recognizable as the Dehavilland Mosquito.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ef_5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ef_6.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ef_7.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ef_8.jpg

Model armed with three drop tanks , 2 X IRIS-T IRMs( factually incorrect as the RAF uses AIM-132 ASRAAMs on its Typhoons). The pod on the right wing tip houses towed radar decoys. The pod on the left wingtip houses electronic sensors

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ef_9.jpg

The airbrake on the model can be displayed like this; but I haven't tried pulling it out.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-230103_typhoon3.jpg

ZK353, 2013 Eurofighter EF-2000 Typhoon FGR4, C/N: BS114/411 BQ 1915-2015 100th anniversary Raf Cosford England UK

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ef_10.jpg

The Eurofighter Typhoon (EF-2000) is a twin-engine, canard–delta wing, multirole fighter. The Typhoon was designed originally as an air superiority fighter[8] and is manufactured by a consortium of Airbus, BAE Systems and Leonardo that conducts the majority of the project through a joint holding company, Eurofighter Jagdflugzeug GmbH formed in 1986. The aircraft's development effectively began in 1983 with the Future European Fighter Aircraft programme, a multinational collaboration among the UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain. Disagreements over design authority and operational requirements led France to leave the consortium to develop the Dassault Rafale independently. A technology demonstration aircraft, the British Aerospace EAP, first took flight on 6 August 1986; the first prototype of the finalised Eurofighter made its first flight on 27 March 1994. The aircraft's name, Typhoon, was adopted in September 1998; the first production contracts were also signed that year.

Political issues in the partner nations significantly protracted the Typhoon's development; the sudden end of the Cold War reduced European demand for fighter aircraft, and debate existed over the aircraft's cost and work share. The Typhoon entered operational service in 2003; it has entered service with the air forces of Austria, Italy, Germany, the United Kingdom, Spain and Saudi Arabia. The air forces of Oman, Kuwait and Qatar are export customers, bringing the procurement total to 599 aircraft as of 2016.

The Eurofighter was one of the six aircraft competing for the Indian MRCA competition for 126 multi-role fighters. In April 2011, the Indian Air Force (IAF) shortlisted the Dassault Rafale and Eurofighter Typhoon for the US$10.4 billion contract. On 31 January 2012, the IAF announced the Rafale as the preferred bidder in the competition.

There had been nine fatal crashes of the EF-2000(four of them fatal). A twin seat EF-2000 almost crashed near Fairford in 2005.Fast forward to 01:23 to see what happened.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 12th January 2019 at 12:25.
Old 12th January 2019, 19:46   #696
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^^
skanchan95, congratulations on the EF-2000 acquisition. Very eye catching livery on a truly international machine. ‎I've had my eyes on the EF-2000 but myriad older types keep eating up my budget :-). The first aircraft on the fin could be the Bristol Bulldog or Armstrong Sisken most likely the former which was a classic for its time. The 3rd aircraft is a EE Lightning for sure with that tail and ventral fuel tank. The drawing is not very accurate but nevertheless.*

Congratulations again on all your new toys.
Old 13th January 2019, 09:47   #697
Distinguished - BHPian

Handley Page Halifax, WW-II Heavy Bomber; 1:144 scale; plastic; Maker unknown
Model has a wingspan of over 8 inches and a length of just under 6 inches

The Halifax was the second British 4-engined heavy bomber of WW-II after the Short Stirling. Between the Stirling, Lancaster and Halifax, the Halifax was the smallest and lightest of the three. The model here is the Mk III which was the definitive one and most produced. With this model Handley Page introduced the Bristol radial engines delivery 1650 shp each which was a big improvement over the 1375 shp per engine on the Stirling Mk I. The Halifax could deliver a 5800 lbs bomb load (~2600 kgs) over a theoretical radius of ~ 1400 kms flying what we would today term hi-hi-hi. Practical ability would have been closer to 1000 kms enough to get to Berlin.

Early models were powered by the Rolls Royce Merlin and this version the Mk III shifted to the Bristol radials – not sure why. Maybe because all the UK output of Merlins was needed for the Spitfires, Mosquitos and Lancasters.

The Halifax has one world wide first to its credit – it was the first to carry the British H2S ground mapping radar in 1942.

While not as beautifully crafted as the Shorts Sunderland or Dornier 17 this Halifax model is a happy addition to my bomber fleet at a relatively low cost. Gifted to me by my daughter from her first pay cheque.

Details

Wingspan: 104 feet
Length: 70 feet
Engines: 4 Bristol Hercules 14-cylinder Radials each developing ~1600 shp
Top speed: ~450 kmph – similar to the cruising speed of an ATR today
Armament: Bomb load at full range 5800 lbs (~2600 kgs) – similar to a MiG-27 today; Maximum bomb load over short ranges 5800 kgs; self-defence with eight .303 light machine guns

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-halifax-.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-halifax-b.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-halifax-c.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-halifax-d.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-halifax-e.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-halifax-f-ww2-bombers.jpg
Back, Boeing B-29 & Handley Page Halifax
Front, Boeing B-17 & Dornier Do17Z

What I need for my WW-II bomber squadron is a Heinkel 111, Consolidated Liberator, Lancaster and Petlyakov Pe-8.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 13th January 2019 at 10:01.
Old 13th January 2019, 18:14   #698
Distinguished - BHPian

Today I went to see a model train exhibition. I used to have a massive, N-gauge track display at home with my parents. Sold it all. But I still like to go and see these sort of events. I like trains, but I also like model making. Next to the various train displays, demos and tracks there are usually club stands and a huge commercial market where you can buy anything for the serious (model) train enthusiast. From tracks, rolling stock, tools, scenery and these days lots and lots of electronic/digital kit to control your trains with.

This time there was also a club display who did al kinds of model building including some nicely build airplane. My iPhone images do not do them any justice, but I thought I would share anyway.

A really nice Mig 15 with some amazing details on the engine and cockpit

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_4305-copy.jpg

Some shots of F4 phantoms

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_4307.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_4309.jpg

F-16

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_4308.jpg

U2

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_4310.jpg

Gorgeous KLM Connie!

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_4311.jpg

Two lancasters being loaded with bombs.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_4312.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_4313.jpg

I am no experts on bombs by any means. But I happened to watch a documentary the other day about these ground penetrating bombs that were developed during WW2. These look very similar

All this models have been made from standard kits, but heavily modified to show more and or correct details. And they all have been painted really well.

Enjoy

Jeroen
Old 13th January 2019, 18:36   #699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Handley Page Halifax, WW-II Heavy Bomber; 1:144 scale; plastic; Maker unknown
That is quite a handsome collection of WWII bombers. Congratulations. Gettingit as a gift from your daughter makes it even more special.

Quote:

F-16
Technically that's not an F-16. Its the Mitsubishi F-2B, easily distinguishable from a standard F-16 by the canopy frame and a slightly different nose that an F-2 has. It also has larger wings compared to the F-16.

That MiG-15 has awesome detailing. I know someone who built an IAF MiG-21bis diaroma like that.
Old 13th January 2019, 18:55   #700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Today I went to see a model train exhibition....

This time there was also a club display who did al kinds of model building including some nicely build airplane. My iPhone images do not do them any justice, but I thought I would share anyway.

A really nice Mig 15 with some amazing details on the engine and cockpit

Some shots of F4 phantoms

F-16

U2

Gorgeous KLM Connie!

Two lancasters being loaded with bombs.
Excellent photos Jeroen. Those models are really good.Thank you for sharing. I would love to see photos of the train models in case you took some. We'll change the title of the thread!
Quote:
Technically that's not an F-16. Its the Mitsubishi F-2B, easily distinguishable from a standard F-16 by the canopy frame and a slightly different nose that an F-2 has. It also has larger wings compared to the F-16.
Jeroen, don tlet it bother you. You have to be completely nuts like skanchan95 or Foxbat or me to tell the difference
Quote:
That MiG-15 has awesome detailing. I know someone who built an IAF MiG-21bis diaroma like that.
I wonder who
Old 13th January 2019, 21:02   #701
BHPian

Scale Models - Aircrafts & Ships

Quote:
Jeroen, don't let it bother you. You have to be completely nuts like skanchan95 or Foxbat or me to tell the difference
Yes please ignore us, we love to nitpick

Quote:
Thats actually a ER-2, a derivative of the U-2. Coincidentally the model pictured is NASA ER-2 serial number "709", I had posted a picture of the real aircraft but serial number "708" a few months back:

Quote:

Some retired aircraft in not very good condition were on display which were once used by NASA for testing purposes:

ER-2 (Earth Resources 2, a derivative of the Lockheed U-2)
Attachment 1809692

Last edited by Foxbat : 13th January 2019 at 21:06.
Old 13th January 2019, 21:38   #702
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Jeroen, don tlet it bother you. You have to be completely nuts like skanchan95 or Foxbat or me to tell the difference
I wonder who
Quote:
Yes please ignore us, we love to nitpick
No worries, I am / can be plenty nerdy in my own way. As I said earlier, I was very much into military planes at a younger age. Went from airshow to airshow all over Europe. Endless model building and I must have had hundreds of books (no Internet then, you had to build your own physical library of books and magazines and talk to actual people.

As I type this, I realise I visited the Fleet Arm Museum in the UK a few months ago. I haven’t even edited those images. Some real nice and interesting planes and would you believe a full size carrier flight deck simulation!! I’ll put it up in separate thread in the next couple of day or so.

Quote:
Thats actually a ER-2, a derivative of the U-2. Coincidentally the model pictured is NASA ER-2 serial number "709", I had posted a picture of the real aircraft but serial number "708" a few months back:
I realised it was a bit of an unusual one. The ones flying the intelligence mission (CIA) were all sort of black. Like the one in the Duxford museum in the UK.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...tonemapped.jpg

Quote:
Excellent photos Jeroen. Those models are really good.Thank you for sharing. I would love to see photos of the train models in case you took some.
Here some images of the various trains. Some of these clubs put massive tracks out. I only took a few shots. All scales are represented.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_4316.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_4319.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_4320.jpg

The detailing on some of scenery and models is just out of this world

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_4318.jpg

I like this little diorama particularly, because I know this part of Amsterdam quite well. It is set in 1965. I remember those blue trams well. The trams run, so do the cars and even some of the canal sight seeing boats.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_4321.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_4322.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_4323.jpg

If you are really interested in model trains have a look at this video. Sit down, get comfortable and buckle up, 40 minutes of model railroad nerdiness will pass by. This was earlier this year in Utrecht. I went to that one too. Enjoy!

Old 14th January 2019, 20:15   #703
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As I type this, I realise I visited the Fleet Arm Museum in the UK a few months ago. I haven’t even edited those images.
Looking forward to this. The FAA had some unique aircraft in its time.
Quote:
Here some images of the various trains. Some of these clubs put massive tracks out. I only took a few shots. All scales are represented.
If I dare say the trains and engines and sets beat aircraft models by a mile
Old 19th January 2019, 14:53   #704
BHPian

Scale Models - Aircrafts & Ships

1/72 Luftwaffe Eurofighter-2000B '30+01'

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20190119_134920.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20190119_135000.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20190119_135035.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20190119_135054.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20190119_135122.jpg

The two seater doesn't look proportional as Skanchan's single seater model.

The Real 30+1.

Name:  Screen Shot 20190119 at 2.51.22 pm.png
Views: 332
Size:  672.2 KB
Old 20th January 2019, 10:18   #705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1/72 Luftwaffe Eurofighter-2000B '30+01'

The Real 30+1.
Nice find :-). Congratulations. While the French broke off from the consortium it is interesting that the Eurofighter is much more powerful than the Rafale. One reason India did not select the Eurofighter was the challenge of risking 'sanctions' from any one of several participating countries that could jeopardize the programme and the lack of a Government to Government guarantee that the practical French were willing to offer.

Why is it referred to as 30+01? I assume the '+' here is their national insignia.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks