Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2019, 10:58   #706
Senior - BHPian

re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
1/72 Luftwaffe Eurofighter-2000B '30+01'
Congratulations. That is a nice addition to your fighter jet fleet. Somehow i have always liked twin seat conversions of single seat jets. To me, the twin seat Rafale looks much prettier than the single seat one, the same holds true for the Flanker and the modern twin seat Fulcrums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Why is it referred to as 30+01? I assume the '+' here is their national insignia.
+ is the German Iron Cross(Luftwaffe Insignia).
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-1280pxroundel_of_the_german_air_force_with_border.svg.png

The Iron Cross is flanked by a four number registration code separated by the Cross in the middle. The first two numbers identify the type of aircraft and the second two numbers are a sequential for each aircraft type.

When writing the registration number the Iron Cross is written as a "+". I.e. the Tornado IDS of the Luftwaffe were numbered from 43+01 to 46+22, while the Tornado ECRs were numbered from 46+23 to 46+57. The numbers from 30+01 to 33+99 are being used for the Eurofighter. The A319 ACJs have 15+01 and 15+02 serials(15+02 is a part of my collection).

Last edited by skanchan95 : 20th January 2019 at 11:04.
Old 20th January 2019, 11:05   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Eurofighter is much more powerful than the Rafale.
Why do you think this is the case? are you talking specifically about the engine ?
Old 20th January 2019, 11:19   #708
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why do you think this is the case? are you talking specifically about the engine ?
Yes, engines only. 75Kn vs 90Kn
Old 20th January 2019, 11:29   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, engines only. 75Kn vs 90Kn
Thats an interesting point, wasn't aware of that.

A little bit of Googling came upon the fact that The Tumansky R-15 engine which was developed in the 1960s, powered the Mig-25 , developed 110 kN thrust with afterburner Obviously this was nowhere as efficient as the modern engines but a marvellous achievement at the time.
Old 20th January 2019, 23:12   #710
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A little bit of Googling came upon the fact that The Tumansky R-15 engine ]which was developed in the 1960s, powered the Mig-25 , developed 110 kN thrust with afterburner Obviously this was nowhere as efficient as the modern engines but a marvellous achievement at the time.
The R-15 had an interesting feature in that at Mach 2.35 and beyond, at altitude, it started behaving like a ramjet. This allowed it to maintain its speed in the Mach 2.35 to 2.50 range with only a small part of the afterburner on thus increasing endurance.

The EJ200 with its 60kN dry thrust gives the Eurofighter super cruise capability even with ground attack stores and fuel.

For an international project with all its conflicting tugs the Eurofighter has proved to be a great success.
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:47   #711
Distinguished - BHPian

Gentlemen, <trumpets> the Su-30MKI IAF colours has arrived. Watch this space <rolling drums> JC Wings 1:72 scale. Its a big boy.

Stock photo below.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-156122_0.jpg  

Old 23rd January 2019, 12:10   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Gentlemen, <trumpets> the Su-30MKI IAF colours has arrived. Watch this space <rolling drums> JC Wings 1:72 scale. Its a big boy.

Stock photo below.
I have been eyeing this model for some time, the stratospheric price prevents me for getting one.

Congratulations Narayan, The Eagle has landed!

Detailed pics are awaited. The aircraft is actually a Su-30MK (no canards, Modernized, Commercial (export) version of the basic Su-30, M for Modernizirovannyi, K stands for Kommercheskiy) which arrived in the 1990s and were subsequently returned to Russia and not a Su-30MKI (MKI stands for "Modernizirovannyi, Kommercheskiy, Indiski" meaning "Modernized, Commercial, Indian" ) which have canards and thrust vectoring.

Serial number SB008 means its a Su-30MK not a Su-30K :
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-screen-shot-20190123-12.28.17-pm.png

Source: http://vayu-sena.tripod.com/info-su30mki.html

Last edited by Foxbat : 23rd January 2019 at 12:33.
Old 23rd January 2019, 14:56   #713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Stock photo below.
Wow!!!! Rolling Drums, Band Baaja and 21 gun salute to this big bad boy. Congratulations!!!

Can't wait to see your photos of the model.

I have the same aircraft in the same livery but in 1/200 scale from Hogan that i had posted much earlier in the thread.

Foxbat is right. It is a Su-30MK, not MKI. This livery was painted on two Su-30MKs(SB006 and SB008) for republic day flypast. These early IAF Flankers were delivered in a lovely two tone Blue paint scheme(similar to the Russian ones). They were heavily flogged and were retired as soon as the MKIs started coming in. The Hawks(No. 24 Sqn) that flew these K/MKs then upgraded to Su-30MKIs. Upgrading the K/MKs to MKI standards was found to be economically and technically unviable. They were returned to Russia and put into storage in some deal for more MKIs. Recently these ex-IAF Su-30K/MKs were upgraded to Su-30KN standards and are now flying with the Angolan Air Force.
Old 23rd January 2019, 14:59   #714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
I have the same aircraft in the same livery but in 1/200 scale from Hogan that i had posted much earlier in the thread.
Your model was the inspiration
Quote:
Foxbat is right. It is a Su-30MK, not MKI. This livery was painted on two Su-30MKs(SB006 and SB008) for republic day flypast.
Foxbat and you are incorrigible with your eye for detail
Old 23rd January 2019, 15:23   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
This livery was painted on two Su-30MKs(SB006 and SB008) for republic day flypast.
I think more than two:
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-screen-shot-20190123-3.22.59-pm.png

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-screen-shot-20190123-3.22.51-pm.png

Source: http://indianairforce.nic.in/photo-gallery/68

Quote:
Foxbat and you are incorrigible with your eye for detail
Yes we do
Old 23rd January 2019, 16:51   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On Russian aircraft never argue with Foxbat. Note his handle.
Old 25th January 2019, 11:08   #717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your model was the inspiration
May be you should get one too...models of the same aircraft in the same livery but different scales will look good together.

Quote:
I think more than two:
I stand corrected. How I wish they had continued that practice on the MKI and

Quote:
On Russian aircraft never argue with Foxbat. Note his handle.
Yes, Comrade Foxbat-ski is the resident expert on Russian aviation.
Old 26th January 2019, 16:38   #718
BHPian

Quote:

Stock photo below.
Will we get to see the special Republic Day livery pics on Replublic day ?
Old 26th January 2019, 20:44   #719
Distinguished - BHPian

Hawker Hurricane; Battle of Britain; Sergeant Ginger Lacy; Corgi 1:72
Length just below 6"; Wingspan just under 7"

Hawker Hurricane flown by Sergeant Ginger Lacey [1917-1989] in the Battle of Britain, 1940. Ginger Lacey was Britain's second highest scoring ace in WW-II with 28 confirmed kills to his credit.

Though it accounted for 60% of German aircraft shot down in the Battle of Britain it was overshadowed by the Spitfire. The Hurricane, along with the Messerschimitt Bf 109 and Russian Polikarpov I-16 was amongst the first fighters to combine all the then modern attributes of - (i) low wing cantilever monoplane design (ii) variable pitch propeller (iii) retractable landing gear (iv) blind flying instruments and (v) two-way radio (vi) enclosed cockpit. Of the 3 the I-16 entered service in 1934 and the German & British in 1937.

The Hurricane was the most important aircraft in the inventory of the Indian Air force in WW-II.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-hawker-hurricane-2.jpg
Low wing cantilever monoplane design. Its very nature rendered a higher speed than a bi-plane. Enclosed cockpit. 1185 hp Merlin engine

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-hawker-hurricane-4.jpg
3 blade variable pitch prop. Eight .303 machine guns. 1939 and 1940 would show that even a pack of eight .303s were inadequate for stressed skin metal aircraft. Later Hurricanes sported four 20mm cannons.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-hawker-hurricane-5.jpg
Wings and engine section was metal. Aft of the cockpit was aluminum-copper alloy and wood structure covered with fabric. One advantage of fabric was that the German 20mm cannon shell would pass right through without its impact fuse triggering!

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-hawker-hurricane-6.jpg
Classic wing plan of its day. Note radio aerial.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-hawker-hurricane-8.jpg
Wide track landing gear which unlike the Bf 109 and Spitfire was rugged and at ease with rough landings. Note radiator.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-hawker-hurricane-.jpg
Restored Hurricane which took part in the Battle of Britain

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-hawker-hurricane-b.jpg
Sergeant Ginger Lacey. He served on in the RAF retiring in 1967 as a Squadron Leader.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-.hurricane-pen.jpg
Hurricane in IAF service c.1944 - Burma Front. Note the rough field air strip

Quote:
Will we get to see the special Republic Day livery pics on Replublic day ?
Will try and get time on Sunday. The attachments need some time to fix. Was busy with the Republic Day Parade today and am going bird watching at 5AM tomorrow - the winged variety.

A restored Hurricane being put through its paces. Nice roar of the RR Merlin
Old 26th January 2019, 22:18   #720
BHPian

Scale Models - Aircrafts & Ships

Quote:
Hawker Hurricane; Battle of Britain; Sergeant Ginger Lacy; Corgi 1:72
Length just below 6"; Wingspan just under 7"
Very detailed model, is it diecast? Can we have a picture of your WWII fighter collection?

I had never heard of this Ace before with 28 kills, interesting to note the 2nd highest scoring German Ace, Gerhard Barkhorn, had 301 kills !

Quote:

Nice roar of the RR Merlin
Same period but a different type of machine: I think the roar of the V-12 on this 70 ton beast is better Imagine the fear in Allied tank crews and infantry when they heard this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks