Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2019, 08:56   #811
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

Quote:
Can't recall any other US navy carrier based jet that had jet engines mounted on the wings like a commercial airliner.
I can't fault you for assuming that. The Douglas Sky Warrior A-3 was the only other USN carrier borne aircraft with engines in pods. A little known aircraft with a short combat tenure. The A-3 was the USNs first tailor designed N-bomber serving from mid-50s to the end of the Cold War. A transonic aircraft it could carry 5.8 tonnes of munitions and was used in Vietnam as a conventional bomber. It had a small (by American standards) production run of 282 and served in a combat role for only 10 years till mid-1960s before being converted to carrier based tanker roles and electronic warfare/recce roles. In fact these two are the only such, engines on a pod, naval aircraft anywhere anytime to best of my knowledge. Photo below
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
I remember as a child I built a 1:542 model of the aircraft carrier USS Saratoga in the early 1990s. It had numerous miniature aircraft for the deck and the S-3 was among them and thats when I first saw this aircraft.
That sounds like a HUGE model. Maybe almost 2 feet long You get full marks for persistence for completing it. I once was gifted a HMS Victory tall ship Airfix kind of model to build by a doting aunt from the UK. Year 1972. I managed to only complete it to about 65% before giving up a year later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Can scarcely believe that the model is plastic and not metal as plastic models, especially military ones, rarely have that kid of detailing. How would rate Hobby Master 1/72 military models? Better than JC Wings 1/72 models? I know JC is metal, but still I would like to know your opinion.
Very hard to tell. It is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Photos below do the talking. I would go for both if it is the right model I am searching for. The hard high quality plastic of HobbyMaster has the benefit of being lightweight. So if it is not on a stand the landing gear can take the weight without a whimper.

The first 3 photos are of diecast:

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-4.jpg

The next 3 are the hard plastic from HobbyMaster:
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-5-2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-6.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 8th April 2019 at 19:44. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
Old 30th March 2019, 11:12   #812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I can't fault you for assuming that. The Douglas Sky Warrior A-3 was the only other USN carrier borne aircraft with engines in pods.
The close cousin of the B-66/EB-66/RB-66 Destroyer!!!! This one slipped out of my mind. Thank you for correcting me.

Quote:
I would go for both if it is the right model I am searching for. The hard high quality plastic of HobbyMaster has the benefit of being lightweight. So if it is not on a stand the landing gear can take the weight without a whimper.
Thank you for your detailed opinion. I guess when one is looking for a particular model in a particular paint scheme or squadron colours, type of material used in the model would hardly matter. For some one who doesn't know, HM models would be easy to pass off a metal,such is the level of detailing.
Old 30th March 2019, 13:20   #813
BHPian

Scale Models - Aircrafts & Ships

Quote:
That sounds like a HUGE model. Maybe almost 2 feet long You get full marks for persistence for completing it. I once was gifted a HMS Victory tall ship Airfix kind of model to build by a doting aunt from the UK. Year 1972. I managed to only complete it to about 65% before giving up a year later.
Very hard to tell.
Thank you, when I was younger I had a lot more patience. However at times I still do: While preparing for the Mumbai marathon I only had a small circular park to practice on which was 225m long, so I ran 130+ times around it do to 35 km

Quote:
I would go for both if it is the right model I am searching for. The hard high quality plastic of HobbyMaster has the benefit of being lightweight. So if it is not on a stand the landing gear can take the weight without a whimper.
Quote:
I guess when one is looking for a particular model in a particular paint scheme or squadron colours, type of material used in the model would hardly matter. For some one who doesn't know, HM models would be easy to pass off a metal,such is the level of detailing.
In college I made many projects at the mechanical engineering workshop using injection molding with plastic and metal. The accuracy of shapes and sizes of objects that can be obtained by plastic is limited due the material properties. You cannot get sharp edges and small protrusions (like the one on antenna) with plastic. Again it depends on the type of plastic but metal is much more malleable and more strength. Hence most of the very detailed models are diecast and more expensive.

Last edited by Foxbat : 30th March 2019 at 13:31.
Old 30th March 2019, 14:24   #814
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The close cousin of the B-66/EB-66/RB-66 Destroyer!!!!
Yup that's the one. The B-66 family was more advanced than the A-3 family.
Quote:
HM models would be easy to pass off a metal,such is the level of detailing.
The benefits of modern materials. Diecast in scale models came into fashion in the 1950s or so. Before that they enthusiast models were made of wood or even balsa wood.
Quote:
Thank you, when I was younger I had a lot more patience. However at times I still do: While preparing for the Mumbai marathon I only had a small circular park to practice on which was 225m long, so I ran 130+ times around it do to 35 km
Congratulations. That is a lot of running around in circles. I doubt I could walk 35 kms let alone run.
Quote:
The accuracy of shapes and sizes of objects that can be obtained by plastic is limited due the material properties. You cannot get sharp edges and small protrusions (like the one on antenna) with plastic. Again it depends on the type of plastic but metal is much more malleable and more strength. Hence most of the very detailed models are diecast and more expensive.
This explains it.
Old 2nd April 2019, 12:41   #815
BHPian

In hidden mountain air base, Albania stores MiGs for sale
https://www.msn.com/en-xl/europe/top...ge=BBVto3t_1|2

"He has put his name down for one of the oldest models, a Chinese-made MiG-15 with a price tag of around 10,000 euros ($11,000), which was used by North Koreans before being gifted to Albania."

INR is 7.6L for the real thing and we spend so much for tiny models
Old 8th April 2019, 19:29   #816
BHPian

Folks

I am back after a short hiatus. Managed to pick up some interesting models in the interim. I seem to be growing a strong liking for 1/200,1/400 and 1/500 scale models given that it is a perfect balance between shelf space, level of detail and hit on the pocket. During a recent trip to Japan, scoured amazon for some great deals and came back a happy man! Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.

A. 1:500 Transall C-160 by Herpa Wings

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-c160.jpg

B. 1:200 Aeroflot Polar Aviation AN-2 by Herpa Wings

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_2475.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_2473.jpg

C. 1:200 VF21 USN F-14 Tomcat by Hogan The level of detail is amazing!

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_3536.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_3538.jpg

D. 1:200 VFA 2 USN F-18 by Hogan

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_3540.jpg

E. 1:200 USAF A10-C Thunderbolt aka Warthog by Herpa

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_3542.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_3543.jpg

F. 1:200 JMSDF P3-C Orion by Hogan Massive aircraft compared to the fighters.Lovely airplane !

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_3545.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_3546.jpg

F. 1:200 USAF Black Cats U2-R "Dragon Lady",complete with pogo wheels by Herpa Last but not the least. A model I have been looking for quite some time. Absolutely amazing model

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_3547.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_3548.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_3549.jpg

And finally, a collection of all my recent acquistions.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_3550.jpg

Cheers
Revverend
Old 9th April 2019, 20:49   #817
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revverend View Post
Folks

I am back after a short hiatus.

F. 1:200 JMSDF P3-C Orion by Hogan Massive aircraft compared to the fighters.Lovely airplane !
F. 1:200 USAF Black Cats U2-R "Dragon Lady",complete with pogo wheels by Herpa Last but not the least. A model I have been looking for quite some time. Absolutely amazing model
Congratulations. In one fell swoop you have launched three new models on this site - the An-2 Colt, the A-10 Warthog and the high flying Lockheed U-2. Looks like you hit Aladdin's cave

More photos are a must. We cant let you off like this.
Old 10th April 2019, 13:09   #818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks

Pretty good detailing for a tiny 1:500 model.

Quote:

The Hogan Tomcat models are extremely well detailed...the differences between A, B and D models of the Tomcat have been accurately modelled.

Quote:
I have this model on my wish list as I have a Hogan F-14D of the same squadron. Pretty looking Super Hornet.

Quote:

One word - BRRTTTTTT!!!!!

Quote:
The second JMSDF Orion in the thread...wonder if its the same as Narayan sir's or yours has different squadron markings.

Quote:
F. 1:200 USAF Black Cats U2-R "Dragon Lady",complete with pogo wheels by Herpa Last but not the least. A model I have been looking for quite some time. Absolutely amazing model.
Never knew of an U-2 scale model. That is an extremely good looking model.

Congratulations on your new acquisitions. May your fleet grow further and yes, please take more photos. We love oggling at photos of models

Last edited by skanchan95 : 10th April 2019 at 13:13.
Old 11th April 2019, 22:15   #819
BHPian

Quote:
Folks

I am back after a short hiatus. Managed to pick up some interesting models in the interim. I seem to be growing a strong liking for 1/200,1/400 and 1/500 scale models given that it is a perfect balance between shelf space, level of detail and hit on the pocket. During a recent trip to Japan, scoured amazon for some great deals and came back a happy man! Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.

F. 1:200 USAF Black Cats U2-R "Dragon Lady",complete with pogo wheels by Herpa
Revverend

Welcome back, thats a very nice collection of 1:200 models. I see you are also based in Hyderabad. Curious to know more about the availability and pricing of these type of models in Japan.
Old 12th April 2019, 10:32   #820
BHPian

Quote:
.... Looks like you hit Aladdin's cave
More photos are a must.....
Indeed the Aladdin's cave. I will definitely post more pictures once I am back in Hyderabad, which will be in a couple of weeks from now. I am opening the pics on my phone atleast twice a day drooling at the pictures of U2 especially!

Quote:
Pretty good detailing for a tiny 1:500 model.
The Hogan Tomcat models are extremely well detailed...the differences between A, B and D models of the Tomcat have been accurately modelled. ...
The tomcat's detailing is the best ever on this scale. Imagine my happiness when I realised the variable sweep wings move !! And, the arrestor hook detail. Absolutely love it

Quote:
One word - BRRTTTTTT!!!!!
BRRRT goes the Gatling gun, firing 70 rounds per second. The best USAF has got for CAS operations

Quote:
The second JMSDF Orion in the thread...wonder if its the same as Narayan sir's or yours has different squadron markings
It is indeed the same model with a slight difference in the markings. The model I have has yellow markings on the leading edges of wings, horizontal and vertical stabs

Quote:
Welcome back, thats a very nice collection of 1:200 models. I see you are also based in Hyderabad. Curious to know more about the availability and pricing of these type of models in Japan.
Fox, yes my parents are based in hyderabad. I am usually travelling through the week, living out of a suitcase and currently shuttling between PNQ,HYD,AMD and MAA.

The pricing in Japan is almost on par with the world in brick and mortar stores. Whereas Amazon JP has some great prices and good deals from time to time. I picked up the F14,F18,U2,P3 for 23K JPY/ ~15K INR , which is a very good deal I feel
Old 26th April 2019, 10:23   #821
Distinguished - BHPian

B-24 Consolidated Liberator, 4-engine heavy bomber WW2 :: Corgi, diecast, 1:72
Beautifully detailed, moving gun turrets, crew; rather heavy, poorly designed stand

The B-24 was the most produced 4-engine bomber of WW2. For its time, till the much later B-29 came along it was the longest ranged bomber on any side and the only one which could routinely fly across the Atlantic non-stop. The secret lay, as it always does with aircraft in its wing design which produced a lower drag than contemporary wings and maintained lift at high angles of attack.

In addition to being used as a bomber the B-25 was also used as a anti-submarine warfare aircraft – the only one with a range long enough to patrol the central Atlantic and thus contributing to reducing shipping losses of the Allies. Variants were also used as heavy transports, for photo reconnaissance, early air-to-air refueling tankers and even as VIP transports (!!)

The USAAF left behind broken remains of about 100 Liberators at their repair depot in Kanpur, India. HAL and the IAF in a master stroke of ingenuity rebuilt those aircraft and formed our first ever squadron on heavy bombers much to the surprise of the Western Allies. These served later as maritime recce aircraft retiring in 1968.

A less known incident is that in the 1965 Indo-Pak war an IAF Liberator was assigned to support the Indian naval fleet in the Arabian sea with long range ‘eye in the sky’ recce and forward air control. The B-24’s radio packed up and the pilot decided there was no pint in continuing with no way to communicate with the fleet and went home. The Indian Navy leadership was furious as it led to then IN squadron not being able to locate the Pakistani naval squadron patrolling off Gujarat. The IN believed that if the maritime aircrafts had been under there control the pilot may have acted differently and tried to communicate by flying over our fleet and using morse code with lights! Long story short that led in the long run to having the maritime patrol assets moved from the IAF to the IN in 1974-1975. This anecdote, which I learnt from the horses mouth you won’t find in any IAF history book. IAF Liberators were retired in 1968

Corgi make great models though they restrict themselves to WW2 Allied and German ones and a little bit of post-WW2 British aircraft. Their weak point is the stand. In this case ill fitting holding the heavy model in a badly designed cradle from which the model falls with the gentlest of touch!!! This inability to bother to design a proper stand that holds the model firmly is a long standing weakness of Corgi. My several complaint letters have borne no fruit. But like a cantankerous old man I keep writing. The only challenge with these 1:72 models of large warplanes is the real estate on the shelf they occupy.
Enjoy the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-liberator-b24-.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-liberator-b24-b.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-liberator-b24-c.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-liberator-b24-d.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-liberator-b24-e.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-liberator-b24-f.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-liberator-b24-g.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-liberator-b24-h.jpg  

Old 26th April 2019, 13:02   #822
BHPian

Corsair II was a light subsonic aircraft developed in 1960s by vought aircraft corporation as a replacement for A4 skyhawk. It was based on supersonic F8 crusader.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-300pxa7e_corsair_ii_of_va146_in_flight_on_16_november_1974_nnam.1996.253.7100.039.jpg

Corsair II 1:72
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-20190426_123914_crop_765x415.jpg
Old 26th April 2019, 14:01   #823
Distinguished - BHPian

Perhaps a little off topic. But I thought I would share anyway. I just came across this video of this stunning RC F4 Corsair.

Listen to that sound, look at all the details, folding wings, canopy opens/closes etc.

Jeroen
Old 26th April 2019, 14:59   #824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
B-24 Consolidated Liberator, 4-engine heavy bomber WW2 :: Corgi, diecast, 1:72
Beautifully detailed, moving gun turrets, crew; rather heavy, poorly designed stand
Stunningly beautiful model. Great addition to your bomber fleet.

Quote:
The USAAF left behind broken remains of about 100 Liberators at their repair depot in Kanpur, India. HAL and the IAF in a master stroke of ingenuity rebuilt those aircraft and formed our first ever squadron on heavy bombers much to the surprise of the Western Allies. These served later as maritime recce aircraft retiring in 1968.
One of those Liberators is in a US museum with IAF's No. 6 squadron markings. No.6 Sqdn, maritime strike specialists, along with Nos. 14 & No.16, remains the only IAF squadron to operate Western built aircraft from its inception till date (B-24, Constellation, Canberra, Jaguar IM/IS).

Quote:
A less known incident is that in the 1965 Indo-Pak war an IAF Liberator was assigned to support the Indian naval fleet in the Arabian sea with long range ‘eye in the sky’ recce and forward air control. The B-24’s radio packed up and the pilot decided there was no pint in continuing with no way to communicate with the fleet and went home. The Indian Navy leadership was furious as it led to then IN squadron not being able to locate the Pakistani naval squadron patrolling off Gujarat. The IN believed that if the maritime aircrafts had been under there control the pilot may have acted differently and tried to communicate by flying over our fleet and using morse code with lights! Long story short that led in the long run to having the maritime patrol assets moved from the IAF to the IN in 1974-1975. This anecdote, which I learnt from the horses mouth you won’t find in any IAF history book. IAF Liberators were retired in 1968
Very interesting anecdote. Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Their weak point is the stand. In this case ill fitting holding the heavy model in a badly designed cradle from which the model falls with the gentlest of touch!!
Even my Sea Harrier has the same issue. It almost looks as if the model is balancing itself on a pin. Minor shock is enough to make the model fall from its stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
Corsair II was a light subsonic aircraft developed in 1960s by vought aircraft corporation as a replacement for A4 skyhawk. It was based on supersonic F8 crusader.

Corsair II 1:72
Wow!!! Your A-7E Looks fantastic. More pics please. It is the JC Wings VA-72 A-7E model and it deserves more pampering by means of more photos. It was developed from the Last Gunfighter - The F-8 Crusader.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 26th April 2019 at 15:01.
Old 26th April 2019, 22:17   #825
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
what a beautiful model. Please share more photos and model details. This might stir me to open up and assemble the Corsair I have lying packed for months - I think a HobbyMaster 1:72.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
But I thought I would share anyway. I just came across this video of this stunning RC F4 Corsair.
Thank you. What a plane.

Quote:
Stunningly beautiful model. Great addition to your bomber fleet.
Thanks. :-) Helps my daily dopamine fill. Now all I need is a Lancaster and a Stirling and a Petlayakov and a Heinkel 111 and a..... Oh the boy in me!! I am sort of running out of space and may need to shift to 1:200 which for warplanes is less fun.
[quote]One of those Liberators is in a US museum with IAF's No. 6 squadron markings. No.6 Sqdn, maritime strike specialists, along with Nos. 14 & No.16, remains the only IAF squadron to operate Western built aircraft from its inception till date (B-24, Constellation, Canberra, Jaguar IM/IS).
Very interesting. I am never ceased to be amazed at all the factoids you and Foxbat manage to keep track of.

Most Viewed