Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2019, 18:00   #871
BHPian

Scale Models - Aircrafts & Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
[b]Lockheed F-16 :: 1:72 HobbyMaster :: Mix of diecast & hard plastic

Sandesh, Foxbat, both of you have inspired me to go for the American modern day fighters - Corsair II, Viking and now the F-16. :-)
Thats a very detailed 1/72 F-16 to go with your 1/72 F-15 and F-4 (although this one I remember is a slightly odd 1:80 scale). F-14 should be next in the 1/72 scale but I recommend a Mig-29 or Mig-31 or perhaps a Su-22?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
1:200 Lockheed Martin C-130J Super Hercules Aeronautica Militare <Italian Air Force> MM62186 “46-51”, 2nd Air Squadron, 46th Air Brigade (Hogan)
Thats another great C-130 to go with your fleet of C-130s, a rather odd plane model to collect but please don't question my collections of 777s, A350s and 747s

Quote:
Added two Su-27UB Flankers to my 1:200 Hogan Fighter collection to compliment the 1:200 IAF Su-30MK I had acquired years ago.

The three Hogan Flankers Together
The Flanker and Fulcrum are my favourite modern Russian aircraft, sadly I don't have any while you have a fleet that too some in 1/72!

Is the detailing on all the 1:200 models similar? I see the pitot tube has broken off the PLAAF Flanker, same fate as the Fulcrum in 1/72 . Same thing happened to my F-14 in 1/72 and I lost the part. I luckily was able to replace it with the tip of a thin pin.
Old 4th June 2019, 20:27   #872
Senior - BHPian

re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Thats another great C-130 to go with your fleet of C-130s, a rather odd plane model to collect but please don't question my collections of 777s, A350s and 747s

I've always liked the C-130 for some reason. May be because it is the most well known air lifter in the world and has been painted in some very exotic paint schemes. I am on the lookout for Israeli and Blue Angels C-130s. My dream is for an IAF C-130J-30, but it is highly unlikely.

Quote:
The Flanker and Fulcrum are my favourite modern Russian aircraft, sadly I don't have any while you have a fleet that too some in 1/72!

Is the detailing on all the 1:200 models similar? I see the pitot tube has broken off the PLAAF Flanker, same fate as the Fulcrum in 1/72 . Same thing happened to my F-14 in 1/72 and I lost the part. I luckily was able to replace it with the tip of a thin pin.
You have quite an eye. I was expecting no one to notice the missing antenna on the Flanker.

It broke because of mishandling by me. It crashed nose first into the floor. My heart skipped a beat as I tried to catch it. The extremely tiny antenna broke and disappeared somewhere. I tried looking for it but could not find it. Thankfully nothing else happened to the model. Had it been a 1/100 or 1/72 model, the damage would have forced me to permanently pack it back in its box

I am thinking of making a makeshift antenna using a fuse wire. But I don't think fevi-kwik will be able to hold it in place.

The lone Fulcrum of mine is in 1/100 scale and the two IAF Flankers are in 1/72 and 1/200 scale.
Old 5th June 2019, 00:58   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if any one else other than the three of us even reads this thread!!
I have been a long time silent observer on this thread, because I know next to nothing about aviation, and also have nothing to add
That being said, I have a lot of interest in aviation, and my dream job as a kid was to be a fighter jet pilot! I particularly enjoy the technical and historical details that are divulged along with the acquisition of the new scale models posted by all three of you.

Please keep them coming, and I will keep silently following this thread

Cheers
Old 7th June 2019, 19:59   #874
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
I have been a long time silent observer on this thread, because I know next to nothing about aviation, and also have nothing to add

Please keep them coming, and I will keep silently following this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Really?!
One question from my side - any models which some of the more interesting mechanical stuff. Like say the landing gear (actually how it is retracted) of say the SUs with bogie wheels?
Thank you gentlemen. Makes the effort worth it. Sutripta, on none of the models we have (or at least I) does the landing gear retract. You can fit it to be extended or retracted but cannot enjoy the movement. Any way for your viewing pleasure the video below shows the gear of a MiG-23 retracting. The Russians did a marvelous job on the MiG-23/27 family's landing gear in that it could handle this 20 tonne fighter from mud and gravel surfaces and yet curl up like a yogi into a fairly tight wheel well.

Equally interesting is the F-16

Quote:
1:200 Lockheed Martin C-130J Super Hercules Aeronautica Militare <Italian Air Force> MM62186 “46-51”, 2nd Air Squadron, 46th Air Brigade (Hogan)
Good find my friend. The Lockheed C-130 goes on and on and on....an engineering marvel of reliability. It was the first military transporter to get the configuration right - rear ramp plus one that could be opened in flight, beaver tail, big vertical stabilizer, truck-bed loading height, wheels in tandem in side sponson, a look down cockpit transparency and a shoulder mounted wing. Of all these the beaver tail and that big vertical tail fin were aerodynamically the most difficult to design because the broad horizontally flat tail section of the airframe causes a snaking yaw movement.

This design was so sound that all military freighters since have followed the pattern the only variation being having two or more tail fins instead of one big one. Today we assume this is what a military lifter looks like but before the C-130 we had all kinds of awkward shapes in the sky - more on that in a future post if readers are interested.

Quote:
Added two Su-27UB Flankers to my 1:200 Hogan Fighter collection to compliment the 1:200 IAF Su-30MK I had acquired years ago.
1:200 Sukhoi Su-27UBK Flanker-C PLAAF 6th Regiment -2nd Division, Suixi Air Base, Guangzhou,China Airframe#30/16330 (Hogan)
1:200 Sukhoi Su-27UB Flanker-C Vietnamese Peoples Air Force 370th Air Division, Phan Rang Air Base, Ninh Thuan Province, Vietnam Airframe#8521 (Hogan)
Your Flankers rock. Congratulations for not just one but two. Your PLAAF Flanker & your Vietnamese AF model might just be the only ones in India.

This motivates me to get cracking on the weekend on that Sukhoi Fencer!

Sandesh - in case you are running out of shelf space I could offer to take some off your chest. After all what are friends for.
Old 7th June 2019, 21:36   #875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you gentlemen. Makes the effort worth it. Sutripta, on none of the models we have (or at least I) does the landing gear retract. You can fit it to be extended or retracted but cannot enjoy the movement.
Any videos of the SU34 landing gear retraction? Even better would be one for the Valkyrie.

50 years of Apollo 11 coming up. Absolutely no buzz. Strange.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 7th June 2019, 22:01   #876
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Any videos of the SU34 landing gear retraction? Even better would be one for the Valkyrie.

watch from minute 1:00 to 1:20

Quote:
50 years of Apollo 11 coming up. Absolutely no buzz. Strange.
+1 to that.
Old 7th June 2019, 22:09   #877
BHPian

Quote:

Sometimes I wonder if any one else other than the three of us even reads this thread!!
It seems you have forgotten me Sir

My Chinese Fleet:
Air China Boeing 757, China airlines Caravelle and MD 11(L - R)-

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rps20190607_215932.jpg

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 7th June 2019 at 22:16. Reason: Housekeeping
Old 7th June 2019, 22:13   #878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
It seems you have forgotten me Sir
That was a trick statement to get you to come out of hiding.

Quote:
My Chinese Fleet:
Attachment 1882825
That's an impressive threesome. Especially like that MD-11. Your 757 and MD-11 of china airlines are unique birds on this thread. Now treat us to some more photos. :-)
Old 7th June 2019, 22:59   #879
BHPian

Quote:
My Chinese Fleet:

Attachment 1882825
I have the same MD-11 and Caravelle and had posted it earlier along with the China Airlines Constellation.

Quote:
1:200 Diecast China Airlines McDonnell Douglas MD-11 "B-151"

The China Airlines collection: MD-11, Constellation and Caravelle.

Attachment 1859411

As the above planes have already been discussed, a bit about the airline:

China Airlines (CAL) (Chinese: 中華航空; pinyin: Zhōnghuá Hángkōng) is the national carrier of Taiwan and its largest airline. It is headquartered in Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport and operates over 1400 flights weekly (including 91 pure cargo flights) to 102 cities across Asia, Europe, North America and Oceania.[4][5][6] Carrying over 19 million passengers and 5700 tons of cargo in 2017, the carrier was the 33rd and 10th largest airline in the world in terms of passenger revenue per kilometer (RPK) and freight RPK, respectively.
Where did you get your MD-11 from?
Old 8th June 2019, 11:43   #880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This design was so sound that all military freighters since have followed the pattern the only variation being having two or more tail fins instead of one big one. Today we assume this is what a military lifter looks like but before the C-130 we had all kinds of awkward shapes in the sky - more on that in a future post if readers are interested.
As usual for young padawans like us, it is fascinating and enlightening to read your posts on technical aspects of an aircraft design. It is difficult to find such information in the internet and in books. So, thank you for taking the time to write such detailed posts.

Quote:
Your Flankers rock. Congratulations for not just one but two. Your PLAAF Flanker & your Vietnamese AF model might just be the only ones in India.

This motivates me to get cracking on the weekend on that Sukhoi Fencer!

Sandesh - in case you are running out of shelf space I could offer to take some off your chest. After all what are friends for.
To be frank with you, when I bought the Hogan 1:200 IAF Su-30MK years ago, I did not like the canopy shape of Hogan's Flanker model. I thought the canopy railings were too thick.

But over the years, I've realised that in the 1:200 scale for fighter jets, there are severe limitations in terms of shape detailing that can be put on a model. Still Hogan thad managed to put quite a good amount of stencil and antenna detailing on their models. I liked the Vietnamese Flanker because it is fully armed in its air to air weapon configuration. The HG 1/200 PLAAF Su-30MKK model in next on my wishlist, but before that hopefully I can acquire a couple of Tomcats.

Yes please, I can't wait to see your Fencer. I missed out an opportunity to acquire its American equivalent- the F-111 in the 1/144 scale. Now it's no longer available.

Oddly enough, I keep delaying my plans to get a decent sized display shelf for my models. I had kept them on display in a cupboard of mine. But I had to empty it out as the wife needed that space to keep her and the kids clothes. All are in safe storage. I just fear that no shelf might be big enough to display all of them together.

I grab models when I can out of the fear that the model might go out of stock forever as many if them are limited editions. I am still kicking myself for saying no to a Witty 1:72 IAF MiG-29.

When I used to buy books, I never had any book shelf to keep them. I am glad I am bought them then, because most of those books now are out of print and are priceless. It was only later that I got a book shelf built for my books. I guess something similar will happen with my model display shelf.
Old 8th June 2019, 13:40   #881
BHPian

Quote:
To be frank with you, when I bought the Hogan 1:200 IAF Su-30MK years ago, I did not like the canopy shape of Hogan's Flanker model. I thought the canopy railings were too thick.

But over the years, I've realised that in the 1:200 scale for fighter jets, there are severe limitations in terms of shape detailing that can be put on a model. Still Hogan thad managed to put quite a good amount of stencil and antenna detailing on their models.

I grab models when I can out of the fear that the model might go out of stock forever as many if them are limited editions. I am still kicking myself for saying no to a Witty 1:72 IAF MiG-29.
The lack of accuracy in terms of shape and detailing along with small size is why avoid buying fighter planes in 1:200 scale (I only have a Mig-25 in that scale however that is priceless as in 1/72 its extremely rare ).

An Mig-29 in IAF colors that too in 1/72 Scale ! Where and when was this available ?
Old 8th June 2019, 14:37   #882
BHPian

Quote:
The lack of accuracy in
An Mig-29 in IAF colors that too in 1/72 Scale ! Where and when was this available ?
This is the model sandesh was talking about.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-images-21.jpeg

Anyone interested in IAF C119? The model is available from sky classics. The product is very expensive at 16k though.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-36417_imgstandard__11214.1394537090.1280.720.jpg

Quote:
Where did you get your MD-11 from?
From dbjets. Where did you buy your MD 11 from?

Quote:
That was a trick statement to get you to come out of hiding.
Now treat us to some more photos. :-)
This is one of my favorite threads so always keep a track. Due to work I am unable to find time to do photo shoot of my models

@skanchan95: from where did you buy eurofighter model ?

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 8th June 2019 at 14:39.
Old 8th June 2019, 15:37   #883
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1883036

From dbjets. Where did you buy your MD 11 from?
Yes I found the IAF Mig-29 on Google search, seems to be out of stock everywhere.

Most of my large diecast models are bought from wafflecollectibles.com, shipped to a US address and then brought back in a suitcase whenever I travel. Works out to be more than 50% cheaper that way. When the above website has sales you can get really good bargains: the MD-11 was $52. At times they have models with out boxes at throw away prices, I bought about 20-25 1:500 Scales models for about $2-$4 each.

Last edited by Foxbat : 8th June 2019 at 15:40.
Old 8th June 2019, 17:31   #884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the same model. It was from JC Wings predecessor- Witty Wings. It models an IAF MiG-29 of No. 47 Sqdn 'Black Archers' in ACM markings. Our MiG-29s had some very interesting tail markings for ACM. I had painted most of them for the flight sim Strike Fighters 2 MiG-29A model, including this 'stars on a blue background' tail painted on that model.

Quote:
Anyone interested in IAF C119? The model is available from sky classics. The product is very expensive at 16k though.
Never knew about this model. Thanks for sharing it. It is interesting and unique because it models the IAF's ingenuity with the Gnat's Orpheus engine that was installed as a jet pack on IAF C-119G Packets. It gave extra thrust and increased the C-119's payload capacity while flying to high altitude airfields. There is an entire chapter on it in one of the books I have. The jet pack kits were supplied by the US.

Would have loved to have it my collection, but at 16k, it is very expensive.

Quote:
@skanchan95: from where did you buy eurofighter model ?
DBJets. Most of my models were sourced by him for me.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 8th June 2019 at 17:36.
Old 8th June 2019, 23:39   #885
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have the same MD-11 and Caravelle and had posted it earlier along with the China Airlines Constellation.
Ouch. Ouch. My apologies Foxbat. My observation is simply not as sharp as yours. @skanchan95 can amply testify to your sharp Foxbat eye in the sky :-)
Quote:
As usual for young padawans like us, it is fascinating and enlightening to read your posts on technical aspects of an aircraft design. It is difficult to find such information in the internet and in books. So, thank you for taking the time to write such detailed posts.
The pleasure is all mine. What is a padawan:-)
Quote:
I missed out an opportunity to acquire its American equivalent- the F-111 in the 1/144 scale. Now it's no longer available.I grab models when I can out of the fear that the model might go out of stock forever as many if them are limited editions. I am still kicking myself for saying no to a Witty 1:72 IAF MiG-29.
When I used to buy books, I never had any book shelf to keep them. I am glad I am bought them then, because most of those books now are out of print and are priceless.
I agree. Grab them when the opportunity knocks. As for books thrice in my life I delayed purchasing certain books when the opportunity was right there and money was in the pocket. For two of those occasions I never ever spotted the same book(s) again. In the third instances I finally got it years and years later as a second hand after the likes of Amazon came into their own.
Quote:
The lack of accuracy in terms of shape and detailing along with small size is why avoid buying fighter planes in 1:200 scale (I only have a Mig-25 in that scale however that is priceless as in 1/72 its extremely rare ).
Aircraft Model Store have some 1:72 MiG-25s www.aircraftmodelstore.co.uk - salesman Igor. You can ask him for customized invoicing.
Quote:
+1 to that
Quote:
This is one of my favorite threads so always keep a track. Due to work I am unable to find time to do photo shoot of my models
Photos always welcome.

Drrrrrrrr...Drrrrrrr <Rolling Drums> Phantom says, "when jungle drums roll means big Indian entry coming tomorrow" Drrrrrrr...Drrrrrrrr....Boom Boom

Hint - it starts with a 'P' and ends with an 'I'

Last edited by V.Narayan : 8th June 2019 at 23:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks