Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2017, 20:01   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Reliance Jio and the FREE mania!

Luckily Jio isn't my primary connection. The important ones are still with Idea Cellular and I am not even thinking of Jio.
Old 19th June 2017, 22:09   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
There seems to be a major Jio network problem in eastern Pune for the past 2 days.
There are problems with JIO network everywhere. One of my friends work in Talawade area in an IT company. JIO distributed free sims in their company, so almost all the employees have one. The network is so congested now that hardly anyone can use it.

From last 25-30 days, range is quite weak. Usual complaints get response like check your handset, remove sim etc etc. My friend blasted on one of the CSE saying that he is using internet on mobile even before that CSE was born. He was using GPRS even before the EDGE network came (1G/2G/2.5G to be specific).

He has advised people not to port primary nos to JIO. The network is far from stable. Also none of us are able to send the sms HR to 56633, to reset our tata sky box when required. Is anyone on forum can reset tata sky box using JIO sim, please let us know how you can do that.

JIO network is weak in rural areas of Maharashtra. I personally traveled to villages near Ratnagiri, Ale phata, Nashik in last couple of months and found JIO network to be quite weaker than incumbent operators.

As per my friend's feedback, JIO is yet to set up 2 new towers in Talawade area as they promised to all callers who complained regarding network so don't expect good JIO network so soon.
Old 20th June 2017, 09:34   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
As per my friend's feedback, JIO is yet to set up 2 new towers in Talawade area as they promised to all callers who complained regarding network so don't expect good JIO network so soon.
After this experience whatever considerations I had to port one of my less important connections to Jio have been completely extinguished. There's no way I will consider Jio, even if it is for free. Unfortunately I paid them Rs 303 + the Rs 99 for Jio Prime for 2 prepaid SIMs. I'll just have to wait and watch and use this network till the prepaid amount runs out after paid services begin in Sept. 2017

The network service is so weak the phone loses the network connection and the LTE/VoLTE indicators go off every now and then. And this is in the heart of the city. I can only imagine what it is like in rural and semi urban areas. Very disappointed.
Old 20th June 2017, 10:57   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The network service is so weak the phone loses the network connection and the LTE/VoLTE indicators go off every now and then. And this is in the heart of the city. I can only imagine what it is like in rural and semi urban areas. Very disappointed.
In-fact they are improving rural rapidly. I played Ganna app continuously from Hyderabad to Bangalore trip, without getting disconnected even once. I recently see that my interior village has full Jio connection, where even airtel has limited connection.

But indoor connections in cities are real problem, they should work to strengthen this, if they want to progress further.

If you are seeing VoLTE disappearing, you should set your phone to VoLTE only or prefer VoLTE as per phone you are using.

Last edited by shamanth : 20th June 2017 at 10:59.
Old 21st June 2017, 21:55   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
In-fact they are improving rural rapidly. I played Ganna app continuously from Hyderabad to Bangalore trip, without getting disconnected even once. I recently see that my interior village has full Jio connection, where even airtel has limited connection.

But indoor connections in cities are real problem, they should work to
Streaming audio is not a great benchmark for connection quality and reach. Audio streaming requires around 60 to 200 Kbps and even a slow network can handle it. In addition, the streams get buffered and once you have started it in an area with decent coverage, you might lose coverage for a bit as you move around but your track will keep playing seamlessly as it has been buffered.
Old 23rd June 2017, 09:48   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Streaming audio is not a great benchmark for connection quality and reach. Audio streaming requires around 60 to 200 Kbps and even a slow network can handle it. In addition, the streams get buffered and once you have started it in an area with decent coverage, you might lose coverage for a bit as you move around but your track will keep playing seamlessly as it has been buffered.
The point is Airtel is not able to provide even that much also. Extremely slow data network outside cities. I changed to Jio, since in my Airtel connection data was extremely slow in office, and very weak signal at my house.

I have been complaining about this to Airtel from last 3 years, they never improved. I had weak signals of Jio in office, after i complained within 30 days they fixed it.

Another thing i dont like about Airtel/Vadafone is their cunning attitude, I happened to recharge my parents airtel no to 345 plan which was supposed to give 30 GB data per month. Once i recharged Airtel customer care tells me, your number is not eligible for this offer and you will get only 1 GB data per month. Then i shifted the number to Jio, and parents are happy with it, almost getting highspeed data at Rs 100 per month.

I also changed my another connection from Vadafone to Jio, was getting around Rs 2000 bill per month. Then after Jio came, when i checked wtih Vadafone, the offered me Rs 499, with unlimited calls(Conditions apply) and 3 GB data per month. But outgoing call were not free, so again i ended up getting bill above Rs 1000.

Outgoing Roaming, unlimited data, unlimited calls(with no conditions) is game changer here, i changed all my 4 numbers to Jio. Reduced my bill from Rs 4000/- to Rs 400/- per month for these 4 nos.

Last edited by shamanth : 23rd June 2017 at 10:10.
Old 29th June 2017, 11:08   #247
BHPian

I have been using Jio as my secondary connection and I am thinking to port my primary connection to Jio as well.

I am currently in Pune and Airtel coverage in Pune (VimanNagar, Yerwada, KP) is really pathetic. My question is, is it possible to grab a Maharashtra Jio SIM on an aadhar card that was made in Pune but the address is of Punjab?
Old 29th June 2017, 11:26   #248
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
I have been using Jio as my secondary connection and I am thinking to port my primary connection to Jio as well.

I am currently in Pune and Airtel coverage in Pune (VimanNagar, Yerwada, KP) is really pathetic. My question is, is it possible to grab a Maharashtra Jio SIM on an aadhar card that was made in Pune but the address is of Punjab?
You can get the SIM, but not by the instant KYC method. It'll be done the conventional way by filling out the form and waiting a few days for activation. It works, I've used it twice for getting a connection. Just it takes varying number of days 2-10
Old 13th July 2017, 12:36   #249
BANNED

I recently bought a Jiowifi device specifically for emails on laptop . However i have been unable to send any email as it says smtp error . I have configured port 25 , on outgoing mail . On calling Jio they said issue with laptop . I told them i can send emails with home hatwhay Wifi , Airtel Hotspot and 2hotels wifi i stayed in last week . In nut shell i believe Reliance is a cheat as i fail to understand why have they blocked port 25 . I request for help .

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 13th July 2017 at 12:37.
Old 13th July 2017, 14:20   #250
BANNED

I was able to solve the issue by moving to SSL in Outlook settings .Now I am able to send emails via JioFi also .Still I am curious why I was unable to send emails via Outlook when using Jiofi only .
Old 21st July 2017, 16:32   #251
BHPian

Mukesh Ambani, as widely speculated, unveiled Jio feature phone at the company's annual general meeting (AGM) in Mumbai today. The ultra-budget feature phone called Jio Phone will hit the market by August 15.

In a bold and unexpected move, RIL announced that the handset's "effective" price will be Rs 0. This is because the company will collect a 100% refundable security deposit of Rs 1,500, which will be refunded after 3 years.

http://www.gadgetsnow.com/mobiles/re...iweb_hptopnews
Old 21st July 2017, 21:45   #252
Senior - BHPian

I'm really happy with my Jio data connection (Bengaluru) on the IPhone as Airtel took me for a royal ride all these days. Me being a heavy user.

Speeds are really great and clearly the best among competition. And trust me, I've tried them all. I dont use voice much
Old 29th July 2017, 07:57   #253
Team-BHP Support

I came here looking for feedback on Jio. Taken a bit aback on mixed reviews. I am an Airtel user and was thinking to port my number to Jio. I just use one number in a single sim phone. General feedback on Data & voice coverage is good. But, now I am confused.
Old 29th July 2017, 09:40   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I came here looking for feedback on Jio. Taken a bit aback on mixed reviews. I am an Airtel user and was thinking to port my number to Jio. I just use one number in a single sim phone. General feedback on Data & voice coverage is good. But, now I am confused.

If you are looking to port your primary number, don't do that yet, because I think the service still needs to improve for that.

What I have done is use the jio number in my 7 plus and the airtel sim is running on an old 4s which was lying spare with me.

I say so because there can be days where the data speeds are abysmal and the phone then becomes good for nothing!

I also plan to port my primary number to jio, but only once I'm satisfied with the service levels. So this is like a trial that I'm running over how good it will work when used on my primary phone and as my primary number 😜
Old 29th July 2017, 09:48   #255
Senior - BHPian

Even I think porting your primary number to Jio is still not recommended. There is no Jio coverage in any of the 3 offices I work at yet. Outages are frequent and without any intimation. So still a lot of improvement needed atleast here in Mumbai.

Most Viewed