Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2019, 22:18   #316
BHPian

Re: Reliance Jio and the FREE mania!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Getting Jio Fiber for home, was charged ₹ 2500 refundable security deposit and installation is slated for tomorrow. The modem is free.
Durango Sir,
Isn't your agent also giving you a land line.
He will configure the landline to one mobile phone at home.
That way, in case the landline rings when you are at home, the linked mobile will also ring and you do not have to go to the instrument. But if that mobile phone is out of the home, then this feature does not work.
One good thing about this roll out is that they are not charging for amount of cable used. So we have the freedom to locate it anywhere in our home for the same cost.

The surprising part nowadays is that the Rs 4500 dual band router is no longer available, at least in my neck of the woods. The guys says it is out of stock.
The guy also said that once Jio TV is started, they will visit and hook up the TV to the router they provide.

One word of caution - Please change the password they provide to something you are familiar with.
In these days of heightened security, it does not make sense for other people to know what our home Wi-Fi password is.
Ideally note down the procedure so you can change your password / rename your router multiple times in the future.
Old 2nd September 2019, 07:57   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Durango Sir,
Isn't your agent also giving you a land line.
He will configure the landline to one mobile phone at home.
That way, in case the landline rings when you are at home, the linked mobile will also ring and you do not have to go to the instrument. But if that mobile phone is out of the home, then this feature does not work.
One good thing about this roll out is that they are not charging for amount of cable used. So we have the freedom to locate it anywhere in our home for the same cost.

The surprising part nowadays is that the Rs 4500 dual band router is no longer available, at least in my neck of the woods. The guys says it is out of stock.
The guy also said that once Jio TV is started, they will visit and hook up the TV to the router they provide.

One word of caution - Please change the password they provide to something you are familiar with.
In these days of heightened security, it does not make sense for other people to know what our home Wi-Fi password is.
Ideally note down the procedure so you can change your password / rename your router multiple times in the future.
Thank you, Ithaca, for keeping me warned, I already have ACT connection and want to check out how Jio is. I will change the password as I have done with the ACT connection.
Old 2nd September 2019, 09:31   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
The battery of my jio-fi device has bloated. Where can I get a replacement battery?
No Need, jio fi can be used without battery. Just plug the charger in a power socket connected to you home inverter. If traveling, use a power bank.
Old 2nd September 2019, 09:42   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Can you PM me the number to contact them on? I want to check if any availability in Jayanagar.

What I heard was that they are only doing Apartments as of now and not Individual houses...
You have to register interest on jio.com or via the MyJio app. They are available also for individual houses.
Old 2nd September 2019, 18:12   #320
Senior - BHPian

Jio fiber was installed today. Speed is good. Will keep you updated regards service. Was asked to change password by the technician and use via My Jio app on my regd mobile number.
Attached Thumbnails
Reliance Jio and the FREE mania!-jio-fiber-speed-test.jpg  

Last edited by Durango Dude : 2nd September 2019 at 18:13.
Old 2nd September 2019, 18:25   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ01 View Post
In Ahmedabad (and I am sure in other places too) Jio has started extending its service for Jio Giga Fiber. Got mine installed at home last week.

The process is very quick and I got the device installed at home within 2 days of the representative calling me. I had got a reference from another colleague of mine who had the Giga fiber installed in his society a few months back.

There is a 4500, refundable deposit to be paid for the integrated device that they put in. It acts as the modem and wifi router combined and when the Jio Phone and TV services will start, the same device will be the Set top box and the junction box for the phone.

Speeds are as advertised. I checked for the speeds all through the weekend and consistently got 96 - 99 MBPS speed for uploads and downloads.

The service is free for now - till the time they rollout commercially. Also the 4500 is refundable - incase you decide to not continue with Jio once their commercial plans are announced.
I've been enjoying Jio Fiber from June 1st 2017 for free. I too paid Rs 4500 at that time, and not a single paise thereafter. Everything is good so far, but their helpline takes nearly 15 minutes to respond in case you face an outage. But there were only 3 outages so far.

Over the past few months, my usage has been very high owing to Neftlix and amazon prime. However, I've been getting free recharges of 100 GB whenever I want. My average usage is 250 GB a month.

The only thing that worries me is the usage figures. I am not sure if they are being bloated up so that one would have to pay more when the tariff plans kick in.
Old 4th September 2019, 11:26   #322
BHPian

Got the Jio Fiber installed yesterday by paying Rs. 2,500 deposit at J P Nagar 9th Phase, Bangalore. Until now I was using ACT and was getting 20+ Mbps (for the base plan I had opted) speeds and with Jio it is 40+ Mbps.

Seems to be good for now. I guess the speeds may also increase with full commercial launch.

KK
Old 5th September 2019, 22:44   #323
Senior - BHPian

I had a strange issue with Jio fiber: I had to pay advance tax and when I accessed the site and entered details the site wouldn't take me to the Netbanking at all citing technical error, I made many attempts without success. Found it rather strange so I shifted my connection to ACT and tried again and worked smoothly and was able to pay my advance tax. Has any one experienced this with Jio Fiber?
Old 5th September 2019, 23:17   #324
BHPian

Does it strike to anyone, that a "refundable security deposit" is something that is possibly being used to avoid GST and income tax ?

Income tax act depreciates electronics at 80% in the first year of usage right? Then do we get a bill for 80% of ₹4,500/- (+GST) for the first year of usage ? To claim expenses, ofcourse.
Old 5th September 2019, 23:34   #325
Team-BHP Support

So, what is the deal on the free TV ?
Old 6th September 2019, 08:08   #326
Senior - BHPian

Here are the details from the Launch Yesterday - if we look at just the broadband pricing then its not as cheap as the days of Jio SIM.

They claim the higher speed of 100 mbps as the starting point which is good but the data offered on the Bronze/Silver are not that great unless one goes goes for an Annual Plan.

Reliance Jio and the FREE mania!-jio01.png

Reliance Jio and the FREE mania!-jio01b.png

Reliance Jio and the FREE mania!-jio02.png

Reliance Jio and the FREE mania!-jio03.png

Reliance Jio and the FREE mania!-jio04.png

Reliance Jio and the FREE mania!-jio05.png

Note: I did not include the detailed slides for plans beyond Gold as those did not interest me. The TV brands are not called out.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 6th September 2019 at 08:12.
Old 6th September 2019, 11:31   #327
BANNED

The biggest issue I see with getting TV channels through your internet provider is that when Internet is down at that time your TV is also down. So it's like a double whammy.
Old 6th September 2019, 11:54   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
The biggest issue I see with getting TV channels through your internet provider is that when Internet is down at that time your TV is also down. So it's like a double whammy.
Totally agree with this. My house is currently cable / DTH free. I am *not* use Jio for now but have other avenues for getting channels that my household watches. But yes when internet is down or crawls to 1-2 Mbps (normally it is 25 Mbps) then we cannot get HD on channels and cannot run 2 TVs simultaneously streaming content. But since internet doesn't go down often (fingers crossed), it is ok and overall, I am satisfied with our cord cutting.
Old 6th September 2019, 11:57   #329
Team-BHP Support

What is a home gateway?
How do we get connections to 3 TVs in home?
Old 6th September 2019, 12:07   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I had a strange issue with Jio fiber: I had to pay advance tax and when I accessed the site and entered details the site wouldn't take me to the Netbanking at all citing technical error, I made many attempts without success. Found it rather strange so I shifted my connection to ACT and tried again and worked smoothly and was able to pay my advance tax. Has any one experienced this with Jio Fiber?
If you are facing this issue when accessing specific sites that begin with https, chances are JIO engineer might have messed up MTU ( maximum transfer unit) settings on your router.

A quick way to check optimal MTU is
Go to command prompt from a laptop and run the following

Ping -l 1500 -f 4.2.2.2

You might get "Packet too big.DF bit set" message.

Keep reducing the number 1500 (eg : try reducing by 50) and repeat this till you get reply.

You will arrive at a minimum numver(eg: 1450 might work but 1451 will generate packet too big). Add 28 to this number- this is the optimal MTU.

You need to set it on the JIo router

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks