Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2016, 13:01   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
Really frustrated with the JIO sim card procurement itself

I had generated the coupon code on my Moto X play and it was showing ready for pickup at any Reliance Xpress outlet. When i went there last week, after my eKYC verification, the coupon code shows already redeemed.
My suggestion to Bhpians is please do not generate coupon in advance and store in mobile. Just go to store, enquire if sim is available and then generate on the spot and use it.
+1

Yes, that is what is happening. In smaller towns you can actually "buy" Jio Sims for 300-400 bucks. This is where all the coupon codes are going. The moment someone claims a code, these guys start manually keying in codes in the sequence and start redeeming them. So when you take your genuinely generated code, it reflects in their system as already redeemed. The store people are all aware of it. Best option is to hand them over the phone, let them generate the code and give you the sim. Don't do it ahead of visiting the store.

I got the sim some days back through my employer. Have moved the Airtel sim to 2g network only and thankfully now people don't complain that my phone was not reachable or out of coverage. No or very little call drops this way. Let's see what my options will be come Dec 31.

Jio is good for data only as of now. Getting the call to go through to other operators is a gamble. Depends on the location, time of day, etc. Calling within Jio is no problem.
Old 15th October 2016, 23:28   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Reliance Jio and the FREE mania!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdm295
I have been using the jio sim for around two weeks on my Lenovo K5 note & have also tried out the hotspot from this mobile & it easily got connected & were able to surf seamlessly.
I have already mentioned in the below post that after updating Android version to 5.1, I am able to share hotspot on other phones-
Able to share the hotspot after updating to 5.1
Also now I am able to share hotspot even on Vaio Laptop.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 15th October 2016 at 23:32.
Old 16th October 2016, 14:19   #78
BHPian

Quote:
I had generated the coupon code on my Moto X play and it was showing ready for pickup at any Reliance Xpress outlet. When i went there last week, after my eKYC verification, the coupon code shows already redeemed. I have not redeemed till now and looks like some one has either faked my IMEI and generated new code or directly used my coupon. The worst part is we cannot generate any coupon as IMEI is locked. Simple google search on JIO coupon showing so many complaints on it being redeemed without actually customer using it.
Same thing happened with me this Saturday. I generated coupon code on Thursday 13th Oct and went to store on 15th Oct. While it was clearly written on coupon that even if you do not have aadhar card you can get the sim using id and address proof but the store personnel declined to give sim without aadhar card hence gave them aadhar number but coupon code found to be redeemed already. Contacted reliance toll free and they gave usual solution of resetting the handset etc etc . There were many people like me whose coupon code was not working. Reliance JIO is not able to explain till date why this happens. Looks like this coupon code hacking is some insider's job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
My new 4G handset stopped connecting to the data network of any of the Voda, Airtel or Aircel sims (I have all three) post my JIO suite download
This is really scary. When I found the code unusable the store persons were telling me to install all apps. I just walked away. Will stick with my existing service providers as they have started giving me good service since JIO launch .
Old 17th October 2016, 13:04   #79
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to use the Reliance Jio sim in a generic dongle for connecting my desktop to the internet? Any such generic dongles available in the market?
Old 17th October 2016, 14:35   #80
Team-BHP Support

Guys, one quick question. Is there anyone here who is using JIO sim in a dual sim phone as the second sim and is still able to connect to the data network of the first sim?
Old 17th October 2016, 14:51   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Is it possible to use the Reliance Jio sim in a generic dongle for connecting my desktop to the internet? Any such generic dongles available in the market?
Generic dongles are very much available in the market, I've been using a Netgear 3G dongle for the past couple of years. I usually use it with my BSNL or Airtel sim depending on where I am.

You can look at something like this - http://www.amazon.in/Huawei-Unlocked...ds=4g+data+sim

I think the first review of the product itself mentions that the person has used a Jio sim.
Old 17th October 2016, 14:57   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys, one quick question. Is there anyone here who is using JIO sim in a dual sim phone as the second sim and is still able to connect to the data network of the first sim?
It's not working for me. (SIM 1 = Jio, SIM 2 = Airtel)
Old 17th October 2016, 15:27   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Here is an observation. There is a good chance that the Jio suite of apps makes some deep changes in the phones' configurations to support the plumbings for apps that make even a non-4G device to be able to use their network and several other such. The result of this is that the device may not connect to the data network of other operators at a later date. So please check this carefully.

My new 4G handset stopped connecting to the data network of any of the Voda, Airtel or Aircel sims (I have all three) post my JIO suite download (disclaimer - I don't have a Jio sim and it was a sheer stupidity on my part to have downloaded the Jio suite). I tried every trick in the book to make my phone connect back to the regular networks but everything failed. The APNs were all good, data including data roaming was on... Every possible thing I tried and failed. The phone behaved as if I didn't have a data contract. Then I found out from Vodafone (whose sim is my primary for this phone) that their network has disconnected me with a message that my handset is not compatible. After every possible effort Vodafone guys gave up and asked me to buy a new handset

It is a different story that Vodafone simply does not know how to triage real issues. I even asked them to check the logs and let me know what parameters are being reported back by my phone because of which the network is not allowing my phone to connect. They said they can't tell me such details! Nor could they resolve the issue. In the meantime I had removed the Jio apps suite which seemed to have started my problems. However, the changes deep inside were most probably not reverted back and the issue persisted. Finally, I had to do a factory reset. Immediately the device started running with every network including Vodafone.

Does that conclusively prove that Jio apps caused the issue? No, but the problems started immediately after I installed the suite. And I had all other regular applications which never caused any problems before that and neither they have any issues now after I installed them again post reset.
For the past three months, I've been using a Cellone 3G sim (my primary no) in sim slot-1 and a Jio 4G sim in sim slot-2 on my dual sim Galaxy A7.

As required by Jio, I have all their apps installed on my phone and 90% of the time use Jio for the data needs. However, at times whem I'm in smaller towns where the Jio 4G network is either not available or weak, I have no problem switching data to sim1 (cellone) via settings under 'Sim Card Manager'.

Hence, your belief that Jio apps block data for other sims is factually incorrect
Old 17th October 2016, 16:29   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
It really depends on what Handset you are using and if 4G is supported in both the slots. For eg - Moto X Play supports 4G only on SIM 1 slot but Redmi Note 3 supports 4G on both the slots. So in this case JIO has to be in SIM1 only in Moto X Play and 4G network chosen for SIM1 under SIM settings.

Please check the specifications of the handset and use accordingly.
Old 17th October 2016, 17:04   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It really depends on what Handset you are using and if 4G is supported in both the slots. For eg - Moto X Play supports 4G only on SIM 1 slot but Redmi Note 3 supports 4G on both the slots. So in this case JIO has to be in SIM1 only in Moto X Play and 4G network chosen for SIM1 under SIM settings.

Please check the specifications of the handset and use accordingly.
The lenovo K3 is dual sim with 4G in both SIMS.

But to your point, if it's not a 4G phone (or a non-4G SIM slot), the Jio SIM should not work for calls either.
Old 17th October 2016, 17:08   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
As required by Jio, I have all their apps installed on my phone... Hence, your belief that Jio apps block data for other sims is factually incorrect
True. Adding to that, there is no requirement to install any jio app (except jio4gvoice on a non VoLTE device to make calls), these apps are not mandatory and can be uninstalled. It is just fear mongering.
Old 17th October 2016, 17:20   #87
BANNED

Anyone using a LYF Flame 8 mobile? Getting it for ₹4000.

My plan is to get a cheap LYF mobile and use it as WiFi Hotspot. No other use expect this.

Currently using a OnePlus One mobile which sadly is a Single SIM.

Is it ok?
Old 17th October 2016, 17:37   #88
Team-BHP Support

Why not the Wifi device instead of a phone ?
Old 17th October 2016, 17:49   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So there... My doubts get some more impetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Hence, your belief that Jio apps block data for other sims is factually incorrect
BSNL is one sim with which I could not try. So will not be able to comment. However, my experience with BSNL is that they are most lenient with things or let us say, not so fussy. However, from what Eddy said I think there is something happening for sure. These app probably write something in one of the configs that gets reported back to the Network and Voda/Airtel/Aircel etc probably read that and block the mobile immediately.

That my brand new 4G handset was getting reported as not supported by the network (Non JIO) is a fact that I saw myself. Just as I also saw how every possible thing that I could do short of connecting the ADB and trying to go into each config file and check manually failed to achieve any result. And finally how a factory reset immediately made the phone to latch on to data was a revelation.

I am still not concluding anything but would love to hear from someone who is running the data network of either Vodafone or Airtel in parallel with the JIO network and everything seems to work.
Old 17th October 2016, 18:32   #90
BHPian

Quote:
The lenovo K3 is dual sim with 4G in both SIMS.
Lenovo K3 Note as per their spec sheet is conflicting on 2nd sim it mentions both LTE & GSM in two different places

Quote:
SIM Type Dual Sim, LTE + GSM, (Dual Standby)
Quote:
Dual Sim, LTE + LTE, (Dual Standby)
Source: http://shopap.lenovo.com/in/en/smart...tab-tech_specs

Quote:
But to your point, if it's not a 4G phone (or a non-4G SIM slot), the Jio SIM should not work for calls either.
Yes - JIO sim minimum requirement is a 4G phone for voice as well as it is VOLTE (4G)

Most Viewed