Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2016, 20:40   #91
BHPian

Re: Reliance Jio and the FREE mania!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Guys, one quick question. Is there anyone here who is using JIO sim in a dual sim phone as the second sim and is still able to connect to the data network of the first sim?
Yes for me. I am using Jio (sim 1) and Airtel 4G (sim 2) on my Moto G4 plus. Actually, the phone prompted me to put Jio in sim1 only. I have configured Jio sim for data use and Airtel for voice and SMS. I am able to switch to Airtel for data use with just a single touch. Only thing that I have observed is that when Jio is used for data, data icon for Airtel shows 3G instead of 4G.
Old 19th October 2016, 11:59   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, one quick question. Is there anyone here who is using JIO sim in a dual sim phone as the second sim and is still able to connect to the data network of the first sim?
We are using a Moto G4 Play smartphone and whenever we switch to another SIM for data (whether its in SIM1 or SIM2 slot) the JIO network disappears. Reason behind that the phone does not support 4G network on both sim slots simultaneously. But we can use another SIM data. The other slot on which data is not used goes to 2G mode and hence JIO sim which is yet to use CSFB (Circuit Switched Fall Back), cannot register on any 2G network and goes offline.

Does anyone know which phone is truly 4G+4G so that we can use JIO sim in it while using other SIM for data.
Old 19th October 2016, 14:01   #93
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Why not the Wifi device instead of a phone ?
Thanks buddy. I have bought a JioFi be sadly haven't got a chance to lay hands on a SIM.

Sadly no stocks.
Old 19th October 2016, 15:53   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So there... My doubts get some more impetus

I am still not concluding anything but would love to hear from someone who is running the data network of either Vodafone or Airtel in parallel with the JIO network and everything seems to work.
Well, I faced something similar, but thankfully a reboot solved it for me.

While trying to sync my emails, the Gmail app kept telling me I am offline. So thought of checking with Airtel connection. I turned off the Jio (sim1) data and turned on Airtel (sim2) data. After a few mins, the Airtel sim lost all network! "Emergency calls only"!!

Turned the Airtel data back off, Jio On and rebooted the device. Thankfully, everything returned to normal.

Since am traveling these days, had a major scare remembering this post!

Will try this again once am back home armed with complete backups.
Old 19th October 2016, 16:11   #95
BHPian

Well, my welcome has been redeemed by someone else... Called the customer care and visited Reliance Digital, no luck.
Old 19th October 2016, 20:40   #96
BHPian

Went to Srinagar 50 ft road yesterday at 11 am for the sim. They had approximately 100 pcs. available. Was told to wait till 11:30 as that is the time the so-called server starts.

At 11:30, gave the bar-code, the executive scanned it on his cell and was handed over the sim. I gave him my Aadhar card, he had a look at it and broke the bad news - "Saar, your address on Aadhar card is outside of Karnataka, sorry, we can't give you the sim"!!

I asked him - if LPG subsidy doesn't need a local Aadhar card, why does a sim need it? He said that his outlet was only authorized to distribute sim cards for Aadhar cards having Karnataka address, and further advised me to approach a full fledged Reliance Digital outlet.

Left the outlet, inquired at one more Reliance Digital Express outlet on Srinivasanagar 80 ft road - got the same response.

Surprisingly, in the next 90 mins I inquired at 2 so-called full fledged Reliance Digital outlets on Bull Temple Road and New BEL road - all of them turned me away citing the same reason!

Also, inquired at the Jio Centre located at Chamarajpet - they said, if you don't have an Aadhar card with local address, then get your voter-id card along with it. I asked them if it was mandatory to have local address on the voter-id card, to which they replied in the affirmative.

At all these places I offered them the BSNL landline bill, SBI passbook, HP Gas receipts, but was refused!

There are some Reliance Digital stores that have 2 counters - Karnataka Address and others. For others, you get a token today, go back after a fortnight to collect the sim followed by activation after another fortnight. Some of my colleagues' have done this, and are still awaiting activation.

If you have a local address, your sim is probably activated by the time you step out of the store and start your vehicle.

All 5 outlets i visited had sufficient stocks of Jio sim.

Just thought of sharing.
Old 28th October 2016, 12:30   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
It's not working for me. (SIM 1 = Jio, SIM 2 = Airtel)
Zappo, I stand corrected. I used Jio for the first time yesterday on my new phone and it worked like a charm. Jio data from SIM1 and everything else on Airtel in sim 2.

What's more, Jio worked like a charm. I was on the road for about 3 hours yesterday and streamed music continuously. There were no disconnects, no blackouts etc. The signal is a little weak indoors though.

Managed to use about 800 MB data in one day, I could get used to this
Old 28th October 2016, 15:24   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Zappo, I stand corrected. I used Jio for the first time yesterday on my new phone and it worked like a charm. Jio data from SIM1 and everything else on Airtel in sim 2.

What's more, Jio worked like a charm. I was on the road for about 3 hours yesterday and streamed music continuously. There were no disconnects, no blackouts etc. The signal is a little weak indoors though.

Managed to use about 800 MB data in one day, I could get used to this
Ok... My question was - When you start using JIO with all its apps then can you on the fly shift to data from the other SIM (of Airtel or Voda etc)?

My experience was that something about these Jio Apps changed phone configurations deep inside (my suspicion is on the app that makes non VoLTE phones also compatible to Jio network) that made both these networks to report my phone as data incompatible. After a lot of trials I finally had to factory reset my phone to make it work once again on the regular networks.
Old 4th November 2016, 06:31   #99
Senior - BHPian

How to use Reliance Jio Sim in 3G handset (Xiaomi Redmi 1S)?

I have inserted the Jio sim in my mother's Moto E2 4G phone.
How to use that Sim in Redmi 1S? I just want it for data purpose.
I had got the Sim since it was Free and Data too Free for 3 months. I don't want buy a new handset just to use Jio Sim as I am unaware of the plans of Jio post free usage.
If I like the Data Plans, I may buy a new 4G handset or Jiofi device in Jan 2017. Till then I want to avoid E-waste.
Bhpians, is there any way to use Jio Sim in Redmi 1S without bricking the phone?
Thanks in advance.
Old 4th November 2016, 14:26   #100
Team-BHP Support

I am wondering what will happen after 3 December, once the Welcome offer expires.

If it is not extended, are we all using a postpaid connection where the usage starts getting charged automatically ?
Old 4th November 2016, 16:00   #101
Senior - BHPian

After 3rd December or whenever the welcome offer expires, we would need to buy a plan from them to use their network i guess.
Old 5th November 2016, 02:04   #102
BHPian

Quote:
I am wondering what will happen after 3 December, once the Welcome offer expires.
If it is not extended, are we all using a postpaid connection where the usage starts getting charged automatically ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
After 3rd December or whenever the welcome offer expires, we would need to buy a plan from them to use their network i guess.
My take on this based on the information available in public domain -

1. Anyone buying before Dec 3 is eligible for free Data & Voice till Dec 31.

2. If you set out to buy a Jio connection on Dec 4, then you may not get the free Data & Voice benefits that others are enjoying by buying the sim as of now and up until Dec 3.

3. There are rumors of course on this offer getting extended till March 31, 2017, and an article I read yesterday quoted a Reliance official saying - "how can we charge customers till there is dissatisfaction among the customers regarding quality of service (read, points of interconnect issue). Who knows, this may well be an appeal to TRAI to allow them to extend free services till Mar 31.

4. No one can put us on a prepaid or a postpaid plan without our consent - definitely not postpaid, as address proof documents submitted to get a Jio sim are not physically verified, and given the fact that many of us would have shifted residences since buying a Jio sim.

The dilemma I face today is - once freebies is over, whether Dec 31 or Mar 31, what minimum data plan do we need to buy to continue free voice?

As of today, Jio voice calling works on VoLTE phones even with 4G switched off, however, for non volte phones, data needs to be ON to be able to make calls using Jio4G Voice app.

Airtel CEO made a very valid point 2 days back - either data or voice can be offered free, both cannot, otherwise we are better shutting shop!! So, someone subscribing to a data pack can have free voice calling, however, someone using Airtel 4G cannot be allowed to use free calling on Jio, simply because there is no revenue for Reliance there.

Oh yes, and by the way, I got 2 Jio sims a day before Diwali after unsuccessfully trying 2 weeks before.

Went to the Jio Centre in Chamarajpet, had a brief discussion with the executive there, and he agreed to issue sim cards based on my driving license issued in Karnataka and a passport size photogtaph. No other proof needed.

Picked up 2 sim cards, one for wife's MOTO X PLAY and other for mom's Mi4i. My current phone doesn't support 4G, so I am just a spectator, however, voice calling has improved on Jio and there are very few drops while calling other networks - zero drops calling Jio to Jio.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 5th November 2016 at 02:05.
Old 5th November 2016, 13:11   #103
BHPian

My experience: I am using Jio sim from 1st oct on a Lumia 550 LTE and Redmi 3S Prime. My sim was activated the next day I submitted my eKYC. While filling the eCAF, the Jio staff ticked prepaid but both postpaid and prepaid options were available. Now while using the sim on my Lumia 550 I was only able to use data, speeds were max 3-4mbit/s, tested using Fast.com But on my Redmi 3S speeds are same but voice calling and sms is hassle free just like any other network as it supports VoLTE. Call clarity is good and I have not faced any call drops till now. While calling any Jio or Aircel no. the call connects instantly, while calling any Vodafone no. I very rarely hear "all lines in this route are busy" but calling any Airtel no. needs 2-3 tries.

Will I pay and use it after 31st dec? My monthly data usage is 250mb, I only use WhatsApp and occasional surfing using Opera Mini, for everything else I use my home WiFi. On my Aircel I pay around 100-120 per month for 250mb 2G, voice promo and call charges are additional 36p/min. So for 149rs a month I will get 300mb 4G, unlimited calling so that is a better deal for my kind of usage. Also I rarely go out of the city so network coverage is not a problem for me.

Will I port my primary no? In an emergency (battery discharged, bootloop, hanged etc), I can easily swap the sim on any phone from a 500rs basic handset to an 80k iPhone and get voice calling and sms. But in case of a Jio sim I must use a VoLTE phone or else I won't be able to use even voice calling. So I will definitely not port my primary no.
Old 9th November 2016, 18:06   #104
BHPian

I too have got the Jio sim last weekend. I am not heavy data user on cellular but wanted to try out Jio. I have faced some unique issues with my handset Oneplus X.

1. Whenever I travel, basically, switch from one cell tower to another, the network goes off. I have either restart, or go to airplane mode and back to get the signal. I am assuming this might be a particular issue with Oneplus X, besides my phone is rooted and has a custom rom.

2. Oneplus X does not have VoLTE supported. So I have to use Jio4Gvoice to call. One unique issue is, it stays connected if I am on LTE but the moment I switch on Wifi and connect to home network, Jio4Gvoice gets disconnected. I believe the handset switches off data from LTE network effectively terminating the Jio4Gvoice connection. You cannot dial or receive calls. This is major drawback for non VoLTE phones.

3. One interesting observation regarding dual sim phone. Normally, in a dual sim phone, if you call from one number the other number cannot dial or receive calls during the period first call is active. This is the behavior if both the sims use traditional 2G,3G service. But with Jio, since this uses 4G LTE data to place calls, you can receive call on the second sim too while a call is on on Jio.
Old 12th November 2016, 19:10   #105
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't Marshmallow support Jio WiFi Hotspot sharing?
Or any setting or configuration has to be done after updating to Marshmallow from 5.1.

I have updated Moto E2 to Marshmallow from 5.1. Now I am able to connect to the Hotspot of Moto E2 from other devices but cannot use its internet connectivity. The other devices show Connected to Moto E2 over WiFi. But any internet related activity cannot be performed.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 12th November 2016 at 19:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks