Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2016, 21:51   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Cannot multiquote from the app, but clarifying to all those who have asked questions
Very off topic, but you definitely can. Select the posts you want to quote and proceed normally.

Neel
Old 20th September 2016, 23:04   #32
BHPian

Re: Reliance Jio and the FREE mania!

Is it possible to have a jio sim card, put it in a 3g enabled smartphone and access free internet at 3g speeds, similarly as we use 2g internet in 3g enabled smartphones ?

I am a novice in all these and I couldn't dare to ask this question at overcrowded Reliance stores.

Thanks
Aakarsh
Old 20th September 2016, 23:35   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Very off topic, but you definitely can. Select the posts you want to quote and proceed normally.
Thanks, my bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakarsh View Post
Is it possible to have a jio sim card, put it in a 3g enabled smartphone and access free internet at 3g speeds, similarly as we use 2g internet in 3g enabled smartphones ?

I am a novice in all these and I couldn't dare to ask this question at overcrowded Reliance stores.

Thanks
Aakarsh
You will need a 4g mifi device for that. The sim goes into the JioFi and your 3g/2g/wifi only device then can connect to the 4g wifi hotspot. The device costs 1999 and can connect 10 devices, and using jio4gvoice app on any of these devices, you can make calls. Essentially a wireless modem/router

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st September 2016 at 15:27. Reason: Removing extra blank space from within your post. ;)
Old 21st September 2016, 13:21   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakarsh View Post
No. Jio is a pure 4G network and does not support 2g/3g protocol.
Old 21st September 2016, 16:32   #35
BHPian

My experience:
Collected the sim 15 days back.
It took 4 days to activate the data services.
Voice call has not been activated till date.
Whenever I try to call it asks for verification.
I completed the verification process at least for 40 times.
Old 21st September 2016, 19:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

So after a month of preview offer, today i got changed to their welcome offer :( My assumption was that i would be getting the preview offer for 3 months after which i would be migrated to the welcome offer.

I'm going to have withdrawal symptoms now.
Old 22nd September 2016, 12:57   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
I got the Jiofi dongle from a reliance digital outlet in ernakulam around 4:00 PM on Sunday 18th September. They asked for Aadhar details and verified it using an online fingerprint scanner. The process took hardly 10 minutes and mentioned that activation takes 48 hours. However to my surprise the connection was activated by 7:00 PM on same day, that is within 3 hrs. I get around 3 MBPS speed in my area. The signal strength is not great but that is the case for all networks in my area as I live in a remote place covered on four sides by mountains. If it works as it does now, it is a good failover option for my BSNL landline broadband.
You mentioned you are getting 3mbps speed with Jio.

Kindly also let me know what speeds you get with other networks on 3G that you might have tried in the same remote location.

This is for comparison sake, since I have been planning to go for their JioFi device for my farm which is again in a remote location. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Kairalee : 22nd September 2016 at 13:02. Reason: Typo.
Old 22nd September 2016, 13:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairalee View Post
You mentioned you are getting 3mbps speed with Jio.

Kindly also let me know what speeds you get with other networks on 3G that you might have tried in the same remote location.

This is for comparison sake, since I have been planning to go for their JioFi device for my farm which is again in a remote location. Thanks in advance.
Hi,

Tested with my Idea 3G netsetter now and it gives around 4.4 MBPS.

However 3G signal is not stable due to the terrain(my location is classified as bad terrain by Vodafone and Idea).

But Jio seems to stable at 3MBPS so far.

Hope this helps
Old 22nd September 2016, 14:06   #39
BHPian

There are multiple reports of call drops between Jio and other networks: Link

Since Jio is a pure VOLTE (Voice Over LTE) network, all the voice calls are routed in data packets. If the voice call is within Jio network, the call would be routed as normal data packet itself. However in case of other operators like Airtel, Vodafone, Idea and others, Jio would have convert these data packets to CS (Circuit Switched) lower rate voice call. This is exactly the problem reported in the above link.

In developed countries like USA, VOLTE testing has been going on for couple of years now, and hence their networks have matured enough to handle this kind of scenario. India is witnessing VOLTE revolution late, and these kind of call drops are expected till the technology matures here. Until then, it is better to avoid Jio.
Old 23rd September 2016, 16:44   #40
BHPian

So it seems Bharti Airtel has made a move to combat Jio's free data offers. Airtel rolled out 90 days pack for 1494/- which offers unlimited data. However there is a FUP applied to it. Rolled in Delhi at this point of time and will be launched in other circles in coming days .

I don't see this being free but the website says 90 Days free Data plan . Also there is a cap which is not mentioned.

God bless Competition

Source TOI.
Old 24th September 2016, 11:46   #41
BHPian

I have been using Reliance Jio for over a month, very happy with the data coverage and speed. though the interconnection with other telco's are still an issue. So far I have made 5 calls and only 1 got connected.
One of the issues that I faced was during registering the Sim, it took over an hour for the SIM to register I had to go for online help to get this fixed. Since then no issues in the home network.
I traveled to Mumbai during Ganesha festival and just could not get Jio sim to register no matter what I tried. (restart phone, enable Airplane mode etc)
Not sure if others have observed this issue.
Old 24th September 2016, 18:16   #42
BHPian

I am using Jio since past 20 days and speed is pathetic in and around my region....
My city Muzaffarnagar - 0.5 to 1.5 Mbps
Roorkee (NH58) - 3 Mbps
Dehradun - 2 to 6 Mbps

Jio net Wifi hotspot at Pacific Mall Dehradun - 19 Mbps

I have not been able to make a single call yet due to huge call drop here.

Idea 3G at my place - 3 to 8 Mbps
Old 24th September 2016, 22:18   #43
Senior - BHPian

I have heard/read that after 31-12-2016, we would be charged (forcefully) the "fees" for the data we use within the 3-months Free Period.
How much of above is true?
Old 25th September 2016, 11:41   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I have heard/read that after 31-12-2016, we would be charged (forcefully) the "fees" for the data we use within the 3-months Free Period.
How much of above is true?
How can that be possible? These are prepaid connections. There is no billing associated and they have been publicly declared to be totally free. How can Jio force anyone to pay? If they somehow produce a bill, people can simply stop using that SIM. They will never do so as it is against what they have promised and it will lead to a loss of faith and will ruin their plans of acquiring a lot of subscribers.
Old 25th September 2016, 13:29   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris
These are prepaid connections. There is no billing associated and they have been publicly declared to be totally free. How can Jio force anyone to pay? If they somehow produce a bill, people can simply stop using that SIM.
One of our known person told me yesterday that Reliance will charge Rs. 5000/- after 31-12-2016 towards the Free Usage they are giving till 31-12-2016.

Also on some blogs (don't remember now) I have read that To use Activate ”JioApp" one has to pay Rs. 1250/-. The phone's IMEI no. is registered at Reliance and on that basis Reliance will find you even if you throw the sim away.
I guess these are rumours desperately floated by other Service Providers.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 25th September 2016 at 13:45. Reason: Typo.

Most Viewed