Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2016, 10:30   #136
BHPian

Re: Reliance Jio and the FREE mania!

I had applied for a Jio connection primarily as a backup for data - never came through. Airtel gave me an offer over my existing connection of an additional 2GB for 100 bucks - took it. Saves me the hassle of carrying two sims,which was a concern for me.
Plus looking at the speeds of Jio in Blr, I dont think it atleast now can be a primary connection.
Old 5th December 2016, 06:43   #137
BHPian

Anyone tried Jio on the K3 Note? I'm told if you have Marshmallow you can use it. But my neighbour had his K5 Note dead within a month of putting Jio in. I'm not sure if he had Marshmallow. Had to factory reset the device. Now I'm worried. I have Marshmallow 6.0. Any pointers Jio buffs?
Old 8th December 2016, 09:49   #138
Senior - BHPian

Jio's speeds are pretty decent in Bangalore. I think they've improved their coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
I'm told if you have Marshmallow you can use it.
I think the Marshmallow update will only enable the phone to use VoLTE. If that's the case, you will be able to use Data with your old software version. Calling will be have to done with Jio 4G voice app.
Old 21st December 2016, 15:25   #139
BHPian

I got my Jio SIM on December 4th and started using from the same day in my G4 Plus. I then traveled to Netherlands on 10th and came back home on 15th. Since i came back, i am unable to use my SIM for making calls, but data is working fine. I tried all possible solutions (my own plus whatever i could refer in net), but none of that seems to be working. I am yet to visit the service center. But if any of you guys knows the solution, that would be helpful.
Old 21st December 2016, 16:57   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Since i came back, i am unable to use my SIM for making calls, but data is working fine. I tried all possible solutions (my own plus whatever i could refer in net), but none of that seems to be working. I am yet to visit the service center. But if any of you guys knows the solution, that would be helpful.
Please check if the "Voice over LTE" option is on. Should be in the Sim settings.
Since the data is working alright, this is the only probable cause to the issue that comes to mind.

Last edited by Zappo : 21st December 2016 at 17:24. Reason: Typo corrected
Old 21st December 2016, 17:32   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Please check if the "Voice over LTTE" option is on. Should be in the Sim settings.
Since the data is working alright, this is the only probable cause to the issue that comes to mind.
The thing is, i am unable to see that option under 'mobile networks'? And i don't remember whether it was there before?
I am hereby attaching the picture of the settings screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Reliance Jio and the FREE mania!-screenshot_20161221172131.png  

Old 21st December 2016, 18:00   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The thing is, i am unable to see that option under 'mobile networks'? And i don't remember whether it was there before?
Then it must be at some other place. Best thing would be to search for it for your handset online to see where exactly they have bundled the "voice over LTTE" (VoLTE) option in settings.
Old 21st December 2016, 18:33   #143
BHPian

Quote:
The thing is, i am unable to see that option under 'mobile networks'?
What is the phone instrument that you are using ? Am assuming you have already checked for compatibility.
Old 21st December 2016, 18:36   #144
BHPian

Quote:
I got my Jio SIM on December 4th and started using from the same day in my G4 Plus. I then traveled to Netherlands on 10th and came back home on 15th. Since i came back, i am unable to use my SIM for making calls, but data is working fine. I tried all possible solutions (my own plus whatever i could refer in net), but none of that seems to be working. I am yet to visit the service center. But if any of you guys knows the solution, that would be helpful.
I had the same problem. I installed Jio4GVoice app and made a few calls with it and then uninstalled it and now I can make calls without the app. Strange but whatever works...
Old 21st December 2016, 18:41   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Found this after googling. Try it please

Here is a step by step method to turn on VOLTE on Moto G3:
First go settings.
In Wireless or network section tap on More.
Now go to Mobile Networks.
In Preferred Network select 4G.
Now tap on the Enhanced 4G LTE Mode.
Now VoLTE feature is activation on your Moto G 3 device.
Old 21st December 2016, 18:43   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys my father has an airtel post paid number and his usual monthly bill comes around Rs. 12-1400 with majority of it being calls ( almost 80%). Now thanks to relaince Jio, Airtel has come up with both pre paid and post paid plans with unlimited calling options.

The pre paid plan is priced at Rs. 345 and has unlimited calling ( local and STD), free incoming on roaming and 1GB 4G data.

On the other hand the post paid plain priced at Rs. 550 + tax and also has unlimited calling for local and STD, free incoming on roaming and 3GB 4G data.

I am confused whether to go for the post paid plan or get his number switched to pre paid and opt for the above plan. The extra data given is not going to be used by him as 1GB data is more than enough for his usage. The confusion was created by the airtel SA where he told that the pre paid plan might be withdrawn in coming months whereas the post paid one would be kept on once activated on your number. In short he wanted to retain the post paid connection.

What plan should I opt for? Also what was airtel thinking when they made the post paid plan almost costing double the amount with practically the same benefits?
Old 21st December 2016, 18:43   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ01 View Post
What is the phone instrument that you are using ? Am assuming you have already checked for compatibility.
I am using G4 Plus. And as mentioned in my first post, everything was working fine (in fact i was able to make calls even without Jio4GVoice app) and i used to get VoLTE displayed on the status bar. But since i returned from my onsite trip, i don't see VoLTE on the status bar, and when i open Jio4GVoice app, i get to see this message "Insert a Jio SIM in the device". Really strange behavior so as to speak as i have not changed any settings since i came back.
Old 21st December 2016, 18:45   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Found this after googling. Try it please

Here is a step by step method to turn on VOLTE on Moto G3:
First go settings.
In Wireless or network section tap on More.
Now go to Mobile Networks.
In Preferred Network select 4G.
Now tap on the Enhanced 4G LTE Mode.
Now VoLTE feature is activation on your Moto G 3 device.
The thing is, i don't get to see "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode". And as mentioned earlier, i do not remember whether it was showing earlier when my Jio SIM was working fine!
Old 21st December 2016, 19:43   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Guys my father has an airtel post paid number and his usual monthly bill comes around Rs. 12-1400 with majority of it being calls ( almost 80%). Now thanks to relaince Jio, Airtel has come up with both pre paid and post paid plans with unlimited calling options.

The pre paid plan is priced at Rs. 345 and has unlimited calling ( local and STD), free incoming on roaming and 1GB 4G data.

On the other hand the post paid plain priced at Rs. 550 + tax and also has unlimited calling for local and STD, free incoming on roaming and 3GB 4G data.

I am confused whether to go for the post paid plan or get his number switched to pre paid and opt for the above plan. The extra data given is not going to be used by him as 1GB data is more than enough for his usage. The confusion was created by the airtel SA where he told that the pre paid plan might be withdrawn in coming months whereas the post paid one would be kept on once activated on your number. In short he wanted to retain the post paid connection.

What plan should I opt for? Also what was airtel thinking when they made the post paid plan almost costing double the amount with practically the same benefits?

Prepaid plans are with the validity of 30 days. Technically Airtel can change or withdraw these plans anytime depending on market dynamics, however unlikely under current scenario. But postpaid plans have no such validity, meaning once activated it will continue till you chose to change. Better go for postpaid plan change than move to prepaid.
Old 21st December 2016, 20:38   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

.... In short he wanted to retain the post paid connection.
I think your father can use the prepaid plan if your he is comfortable with recharging every 30 days. (Airtel Money and a Credit Card can make life easy)

Also, I think there's a chance they'll withdraw the prepaid plan a few months down the lane, but the newer one won't be much expensive.

So why not try prepaid?

Most Viewed