Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2016, 16:18   #46
BHPian

Re: A unique journey: My experience with Cancer

Hello Kishore sir,

Firstly, I just admire the way you took on carcinoma and came out the other side stronger. Stories like yours show that will power really does matter. I am sure you must have had your ups and downs on this journey, but I have a feeling that your positive attitude must have eased your family's worry. And I 100% agree with you that family comes first, second, third and then some. They are our pillars and without them, there is no meaning for life. This article gave me tears in my eyes and a s like on my lips when I finished reading through it. It is every bit lovely as it is heartwarming.

Do keep posting and updating; and definitely do keep riding hard and riding safe.

Cheers!
Old 27th September 2016, 18:20   #47
BHPian

Hi Kishor,

Thanks for sharing your fight with dreadful cancer disease, rightfully called as emperor of all maladies. I had watched life of close family, who had to go through this fight, pretty close. Hats-off to your spirit and the wonderful family/friends you have. Victory to you and wish that stays permanent and you will be healthy throughout !!

Cheers
Old 27th September 2016, 18:37   #48
BHPian

Dear @junkishya, thank you for sharing. The tremendous spirit that you have shown greatly inspires me. May you live through your life light hearted and carefree knowing all is well. May you be blessed with ever increasing joy and peace. Best wishes and prayers from me and my family.
Old 27th September 2016, 19:51   #49
BHPian

If your spirit had any medical effects, it would probably cure cancer by itself! Hats off to your attitude and how you've gone about this. Your post and this thread itself is a turning point for me, as it has changed my paradigm towards life. I hope it does the same for others too.
Old 27th September 2016, 19:59   #50
BHPian

Hello Kishor:
First of all congratulations on your win. Cancer is still a dreaded disease, in spite of all the advances made by modern science. That you took time out and shared details of this journey is in itself laudable, apart from the fact that you won. Though your post does not mention, one can imagine the fear, the hardship, the desolation, the anxiety gnawing about the unknown, both for self and our loved ones.
Yes, i believe that you have become a stronger man now, and your family and friends would be rightly proud of you.
Look forward to read your TRs on the ninja.
Old 27th September 2016, 20:08   #51
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Kudos to your spirit Kishor. Wishing you the very best of health, keep revving. May the force be with you.

You've shared some great thoughts based on your own experiences, and yes Family is THE most important and Friends too without a doubt!
Old 27th September 2016, 20:12   #52
BHPian

Phew...was not prepared for this when I started reading it...!

Many a times the material possessions that we run after looks so small against some of these adversaries that hit us and makes us truly helpless. Kudos you have come out stronger; you are a role model.

Hope you get to enjoy the 650 now. :-)
Old 27th September 2016, 20:32   #53
BHPian

Felt so nice reading this post. The positive spirit is good enough to keep going regardless of what happens in life.

You used to have a silver RD350, didnt you ? If yes, then we used to meet at the SR Nagar workshop while the bikes were getting fixed.

Ninjas are good fighters so you got the right company
Old 27th September 2016, 20:49   #54
BHPian

Wish you the best for your future. Amazing spirit you got!
Hope you get that LIC policy you were speaking about this time around ;-)
Old 27th September 2016, 21:22   #55
BHPian

Kishore..I really appreciate the way you kept a cool head and took the issue head on !!! And probably that is the reason why you have won the battle.

I would really like to highlight certain things which you did absolutely right and is learning for others i.e.
a) Taking multiple opinions. I would suggest that taking an opinion from TML and/or CMC Vellore is a must considering the magnitude of cases they handle.
b) Getting your family especially your spouse on the same mode i.e. the fighting mode. The family plays a very important role here and their resolve and determination goes a long way in winning/losing the battle.
c) Working out the finances including the future considering all the scenarios.
d) Never say die approach.

Things that have not been mentioned in the post but should be a must i.e.
a) Term Insurance is a must and should be done. But more important than that is the Health Insurance coverage that will help you fight the battle. Always take Health Insurance policy apart from the corporate one.
b) Health Checkup at regular intervals depending on the age.
c) There should always be time for the family irrespective of how busy one is. There should be no compromise on this.
Old 27th September 2016, 23:10   #56
Senior - BHPian

kishor,

My very best to you in this journey - it is a marathon and not a sprint. I am glad that you are NED today - hope you stay that way for decades!

I am very curious to learn what you did for your fitness, since some books I have read on the subject (Tripping over the truth, a fascinating read) suggest that the chemo effects are as bad and often worse than the cancer itself. Of course, that book and Thomas Seyfried and some other research (podcast here) suggests that the ketogenic diet can really help along with traditional treatments. What was your experience?
Old 28th September 2016, 09:36   #57
BHPian

Hello Kishore,

Firstly, heartfelt congratulations to you for having come through such a difficult disease.
And kudos to your spirit and confidence....your story is very inspiring and should be told to the rest of the world.

Wishing you a long, healthy and happy life!

Best Regards,
Sayak
Old 28th September 2016, 10:30   #58

I was initially under the impression that Cancer was a nickname to one of your vehicles until I clearly went through your post. What a humble and humurous way to put your life storty so far, Sir. It reminded me of impending things to me. As you said, family first and hence I quit 'S'.
Old 28th September 2016, 10:33   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
Kishore..I really appreciate the way you kept a cool head and took the issue head on !!! And probably that is the reason why you have won the battle.

Things that have not been mentioned in the post but should be a must i.e.
a) Term Insurance is a must and should be done. But more important than that is the Health Insurance coverage that will help you fight the battle. Always take Health Insurance policy apart from the corporate one.
b) Health Checkup at regular intervals depending on the age.
c) There should always be time for the family irrespective of how busy one is. There should be no compromise on this.
Very True; I did mention it in subsequent post ..

A couple of points that I wish had come out better :
1) Everyone needs to have an adequate Medical Insurance cover - Fortunately my company provides a substantial cover which helped me. Cancer can lighen your bank balance anywhere between 5 - 20L within a matter of couple of months.

2) We need to have a High Term Insurance - I made a mistake here. I thought my insurance cover was adequate when I looked at it optimistically. I realized my mistake and went to top up the existing cover but I guess it got a bit late ;-) Ensuring family being covered for the next 15-20 yrs financially should be the priority for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
You used to have a silver RD350, didnt you ? If yes, then we used to meet at the SR Nagar workshop while the bikes were getting fixed.
Yes Sir .. Same Guy !! Good to hear from you after about 10 years !! Trust you are doing good Sunish!! Do you still have the RD? I remember it had the US spec RD350B nice paint job !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
kishor,

My very best to you in this journey - it is a marathon and not a sprint. I am glad that you are NED today - hope you stay that way for decades!

I am very curious to learn what you did for your fitness, since some books I have read on the subject (Tripping over the truth, a fascinating read) suggest that the chemo effects are as bad and often worse than the cancer itself. Of course, that book and Thomas Seyfried and some other research (podcast here) suggests that the ketogenic diet can really help along with traditional treatments. What was your experience?
While I'm not qualified to comment, Chemo effects are undoubtedly there, to what extent they affect the individual depends on various parameters 1) Health Condition 2) Specific Chemo drug, 3) Food Habits 4) Psychological condition, etc. Having said that, Medicines are getting better every day. Immunochemotherapy has lesser side effects that earlier drugs.

From my own experience, Since I was told to wait for a couple of months, I tried Ayurvedic medicines first. I consulted 2 places specifically, a well-known Ayurvedic Institution from Kerala and Integrated Cancer Treatment, Wagholi, Pune. I got more of less the same message from both places, Ayurveda can help slow-down the growth, but it may not be able to cure the disease. However within 5-6 weeks of initial diagnosis from Stage-2 where cancer growth was only in the lower abdomen region, this thing had spread significantly to upper abdomen, chest, neck, throat. The rate at which the tumors grew, I did not want to take wait further ..

The Diet that I've been following since then:
1) Breakfast & Dinner - Vegetable Juice (Amla, Neem leaves, Bittergourd, Carrots, Beetroot, Cucumber) - Add Pomegranate & Papaya Leaves for 3-4 days after chemo since RBC, Platelets go for a toss after Chemo cycle. Beetroot helps clean Liver, Amla and Neem Leaves are strong Antioxidants and boost immunity

Exercise Regime 4 days / week (Circulate more Oxygen in body)
30-40 minutes intense cardio OR
6-8 kms Running OR
45 minutes Cycling
AND Light Weight training

It's interesting to note that on the 2nd day of (2-day Chemo cycle), I could run for 5kms without any problem, but on the 4th day running beyond 2 kms was an effort !!
Old 28th September 2016, 10:46   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchitya View Post
Wish you the best for your future. Amazing spirit you got!
Hope you get that LIC policy you were speaking about this time around ;-)
Thanks Ruchitya. Actually none of the Insurance companies will give you a policy which cover critical ilness like after you are diagnosed with cancer !! In fact some policies have a cooling period (3-6 months) even after giving a policy. They will not pay if the Critical Illness was diagnosed during that period. So get a substantial term cover when you are young and healthy.

I thought I was very healthy since I was able to run 5-8kms, cycle 20-25kms, etc. etc. That was till I was diagnosed with cancer..

Most Viewed