Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2016, 13:10   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: Government scraps Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes!

Even if this move does not eradicate black money (Because mentality of people will not change, they might be figuring out different ways to accept bribes going ahead) , just the massive blow it has dealt to the counterfeiting industry across the borders is alone worth the discomfort the common people might experience for a few days.
This was brewing for a few days, with the prime minister exhorting people to open bank accounts under various schemes all part of the complex jigsaw puzzle.
Brilliant, brilliant move.
Old 9th November 2016, 13:36   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
I mean, think about it - if the new Rs.500 and Rs.2000 are already ready, it cannot be printed by PM alone. It should have been printed at factories in the last few weeks / months, where employees like you and me work. The notes should have been packed transported to different cities all over India by road / rail / air, where people work at packaging, loading, shipping, unloading, and unpacking. This network of people who has known the information has guarded the secret, and played a big role in catching the black money holders by surprise.
Currency note design keeps changing every now and then and old notes are removed out of circulation in a phased manner. Nobody would have guessed that old notes are being demonetized all of a sudden like this. They would've just thought that new design is being implemented and printed.
Old 9th November 2016, 13:40   #153
BHPian

I just love this.
I was out on the streets and everyone had the same thing on their mind.
Common man will face hardships for a few more days but it will break the inflation bubble and bring back inflated prices back to reality.

Welcome move really.
Old 9th November 2016, 14:16   #154
BHPian

The below quote from "The Dark Knight" comes to my mind, considering the current Black money scenario!

Quote:
Harvey Dent: It won't matter. The head guys make bail, sure... but the mid-level guys, they can't, and they can't afford to be off the streets long enough for trial and appeal. They'll cut deals that include *some* jail time. Think of all you could do with 18 months of clean streets.
[the Mayor waves Gordon and Commissioner Loeb out]

Source: IMDB
Of course, the top guys will sooner than later will figure out ways to continue their old ways of corruption and hoarding black money. But for politicians with less power or officials and middle / low level businessmen, it will take quite a long time to figure out how to make the system accept and work with black money. With their existing "Savings" going to be accounted or trashed, they have to begin from zero.
Old 9th November 2016, 14:17   #155
Senior - BHPian

Something I don't understand.

Traders are not doing any cash business today, because they don't want to accept Rs 500 notes. Why are they losing business even for the time it takes us to get new money or smaller denominations? After all, they can deposit the money in the bank for quite some time yet, and while they may not have been paying all the income tax due, I find it hard to believe that they were paying no income tax all.
Old 9th November 2016, 14:19   #156
Team-BHP Support

Random thought, but wouldn't limiting circulation of higher-denomination notes, both by volume and validity (expiring current notes anyone?) be a much more practical long-term solution?

Currency with a fixed expiry would automatically limit the duration it can be kept out of circulation/reporting, or so one would think.
Old 9th November 2016, 14:23   #157
BHPian

Very brave and bold move by our PM.

One thing i dont understand is the introduction of Rs. 2000 denomination. Is it really needed? Can we not survive with denominations till 500?

I have a strong belief that one day all transactions above a certain limit (> 2000) will have to be done through cards.
Old 9th November 2016, 14:31   #158
BHPian

Well! too good a move.
However, I feel, if this would ve been done in combination with the recently concluded IDS amnesty scheme, I think the government would have earned a lot more in taxes.
People would have instantly flocked to the IT's office, submit there black money 45% tax & become compliant.
Old 9th November 2016, 14:33   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Something I don't understand..
Not only traders. I have a doc's appointment today, and I got a call from the clinic saying please bring change or your cheque book, as we are not accepting 500/1000 notes now

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 9th November 2016, 14:38   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Folks who are in the business of black money now, will definitely find ways and means to do it eventually with the new high denomination notes - if not in a year, then maybe 2-3 years down the line onward - right? Or am I missing something?
Vikram,

Exactly the doubt I have! Its only a matter of time before people start hoarding again (with the new notes) and Babu's start demanding bribes again (with impunity) to make good all their losses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Let me put it in simple terms.

Generating black money now will be tough with so many processes and restrictions in place and also because these notes will be printed in limited numbers. People will be forced to go cashless.
Hemanth,

Yes, what you are saying does make sense. But, are you sure about the fact that the new notes will be printed in limited numbers? I thought that the initial restriction on cash was only because of production/logistics constraints. Eventually money printing will return to full swing. Is my understanding wrong?

In summary, while I hail the move and believe that
1. It will help eliminate fake currency.
2. It will reduce the value of undeclared, hoarded wealth to zero
3. Will instill fear that this can repeat

Although point 3 will dissuade black money generation (with new high value currency notes), I am not sure to what extent it will be successful. Would appreciate if someone can share their thoughts on how this will prevent future blackmoney generation and help us become a cashless economy.

Last edited by naut : 9th November 2016 at 14:42.
Old 9th November 2016, 14:41   #161
BHPian

Government scraps Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes!-oldandnewnotesinfographic_650x540_61478671961.jpg

Source: NDTV
Old 9th November 2016, 14:52   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
I consider the Rs1000 notes I have with me as a donation to the cause of black money eradication . I called SBI California, they do not accept/exchange INR. I do not have any planned travel to India till next summer. Planning a trip earlier to exchange couple hundred $s makes no sense.
INRs can always be exchanged for local currencies. There will be some conversion charges, but I think that can be a way to go if there aren't better alternatives. For couple of grands, conversion charges shouldn't be too much anyways, not sure why would anybody stash larger sums in INRs at foreign land.
Old 9th November 2016, 14:58   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
Hemanth,

Yes, what you are saying does make sense. But, are you sure about the fact that the new notes will be printed in limited numbers? I thought that the initial restriction on cash was only because of production/logistics constraints. Eventually money printing will return to full swing. Is my understanding wrong?
Below I'm quoting from the PM's speech yesterday. He did mention that the share of higher denomination will be limited. Read the bold part in the quoted text below.
Quote:
From time to time, based on currency needs, the Reserve Bank with the approval of the Central Government brings out new notes of higher value. In 2014, the Reserve Bank sent a recommendation for issue of 5,000 and 10,000 rupee notes. After careful consideration, this was not accepted. Now as part of this exercise, RBI’s recommendation to issue 2,000 rupee notes has been accepted. New notes of 500 rupees and 2,000 rupees, with completely new design will be introduced. Based on past experience, the Reserve Bank will hereafter make arrangements to limit the share of high denomination notes in the total currency in circulation.
Old 9th November 2016, 15:05   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Below I'm quoting from the PM's speech yesterday. He did mention that the share of higher denomination will be limited. Read the bold part in the quoted text below.
Thanks Hemanth! Looks like they have a plan for it.
Lets hope this ends the era of black-money for good!
Old 9th November 2016, 15:06   #165
BHPian

The moment I saw our PM speaking yesterday I was wowed at the sheer audacity of such a step. It is a problem - I have literally run out of cash :( - in the short term but great for the country. And from most of the reactions that I have got, I believe people kind of support this.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed