Team-BHP - Currency Notes & Coins from around the world
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Currency Notes & Coins from around the world (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/181955-currency-notes-coins-around-world.html)

With the Buzzword of Demonetisation going around in the country, I posted a collage of the current valid notes in the country in this post
I got this Idea that with so many travellers on TBHP, we can have a thread for discussion about the currency notes from across the world that we may have used. We can also look at the security features, aesthetic features, unique features of currency in different parts of the world.

Let me start with currency notes currently valid in India

Currency Notes & Coins from around the world-15157032_1385389314812305_8054278841810246777_o.jpg

Currency Notes & Coins from around the world-15138305_1385389574812279_6365946661116480474_o.jpg

Currency Notes & Coins from around the world-15123067_1385389348145635_863933136668675494_o.jpg

In 2009 When I was in Germany, I had taken a similar photos of the Euros in circulation at that time. Recently the new Euro notes have new designs but these are still valid

Currency Notes & Coins from around the world-img_6393.jpg

Currency Notes & Coins from around the world-img_6391.jpg

Currency Notes & Coins from around the world-img_6395.jpg

And a couple of notes that I used in Dubai Airport during one of the Flight changeovers

Currency Notes & Coins from around the world-100_3772.jpg

Currency Notes & Coins from around the world-100_3773.jpg

Post photos of currency notes that you have transacted with. Let us see how much of the 'money' world TBHPians have covered!

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemanth.anand (Post 4097617)

Let me start with currency notes currently valid in India

You forgot to post a pic of the ubiquitous "Eclairs" denomination that we also have!

Interesting thread. Will try and post up some currencies.

Last weekend I was unpacking my bags when I came across these - 2 Euros & 20 Cents, 10 Icelandic Kroner and 1 Qatari Rial - some loose change that I would have put in my waist-pouch during my recently concluded trip to Iceland, Paris & Amsterdam. Due to flight changeovers at Doha, I could collect a Qatari Rial as well. :)

Rs. 2 note is still valid, and now you have to start looking for it! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by revharder (Post 4097715)
Rs. 2 note is still valid, and now you have to start looking for it! ;)

Printing of Rs 2 and Re 1 notes was stopped in 1995. After that in a 2014 notification, all pre-2005 notes were withdrawn. In 2015 Re 1 made a comeback but not Rs 2.

If you check RBI website, the valid currency notes starts from Rs 5. Re 1 has always been issued by the Government of India and RBI has always issued notes from Rs 2 and above

So AFAIK, Rs 2 note is not valid anymore.

I prefer understated designs. The new 500 note is definitely high on aesthetics and in line with new international standards. But I find the new 2000 note a little gaudy and bling. Looks very similar to 500Euro.

For your viewing pleasure :).

First row, from left to right:
  1. Japanese Yen, Y100 and Y50. I don't have any currency note.
  2. Bangladeshi Taka, 20 Taka note
  3. Malaysian Ringgit, 10 Ringgit note and 20 Cent coin.
Second row, from left to right:
  1. Romanian Leu, 5 Lei note and 50 Bani coin.
  2. Maldivian Rufia, 20 Rufia note and 2 Rufia coin.
Third row, from left to right:
  1. Turkish new lira (yeni turkish liresi or YTL), 5 YTL note and 1 YTL coin.
  2. UAE Dirhams, 5 Dirhams note and I think that was a 1 Dirhams coin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemanth.anand (Post 4097726)
Printing of Rs 2 and Re 1 notes was stopped in 1995. After that in a 2014 notification, all pre-2005 notes were withdrawn. In 2015 Re 1 made a comeback but not Rs 2.

If you check RBI website, the valid currency notes starts from Rs 5. Re 1 has always been issued by the Government of India and RBI has always issued notes from Rs 2 and above

So AFAIK, Rs 2 note is not valid anymore.

Nope.
It is still very much in circulation like he Re.1 currency note. RBI only stopped printing these two notes but didn't declar them as invalid. It's clearly written at RBI's website.

You may check it here under answer to second question:
https://www.rbi.org.in/currency/FAqs.html

I keep an eye out for unusual coins that I receive through general circulation. A couple of recent ones:

Currency Notes & Coins from around the world-image00007.jpg Currency Notes & Coins from around the world-image00008.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by poloman (Post 4097739)
I prefer understated designs. The new 500 note is definitely high on aesthetics and in line with new international standards. But I find the new 2000 note a little gaudy and bling. Looks very similar to 500Euro.

During my 2.5 years of stay in EU, i never came across the 500 Euro note. :)
Have they stopped it?

Few left out in my wallet, USD, GBP, EUR, JPY should also be available (lazy to dig out my travel wallet)

IDR - Indonesia
Currency Notes & Coins from around the world-img_1316.jpg

THB - Thailand
Currency Notes & Coins from around the world-img_1317.jpg

RON - Romania
Currency Notes & Coins from around the world-img_1318.jpg

this is a great initiative, would welcome like minded people who would like to exchange their duplicates for a larger collection.

Since I dabbled in it a while ago, there are two very important facts, if u ever get a crisp note do not fold it, the collectors value is gone, similarly do not try cleaning old coins.

Clicked a picture of selected coins from my collection. Contains old Indian and some foreign coins.

Currency Notes & Coins from around the world-image.jpeg

Have some currency notes too; mostly of Asian counties like Bhutan, Nepal, Thailand and some old Indian notes too.

A couple more, related to transportation:

Currency Notes & Coins from around the world-desktop_tn.jpg Currency Notes & Coins from around the world-desktop1_tn.jpg