Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2006, 14:03   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
He could have come down heavily on the brakes (which are outstanding in a Volvo) and at worst he would have rammed the auto with a reduced impact.
A previous post mentions that this particular vehicle had brake problems for some time. In any case, knowing this the driver should have taken greater caution rather than risking the lives of his passengers, pedestrians and other users of the road.

That said however, Bangalore has serious issues when it comes to bus stops. Not sure if this is the case in other cities as well, but people waiting at a bus stop seem to occupy a far greater area than neccessary, spreading themselves out over the pavement and road probably hoping to get in before others. This forces bus drivers to stop in the middle of the road thus impeding other vehicles and leading to a jam.

And there is simply no excuse for having any sort of 'market' - whether temporary or not - that encroaches upon the already inadequate width of our roads!
Old 18th October 2006, 14:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Just checked another paper (Deccan Herald), which has reported the Driver's account, and he clearly states that it was a Brake Failure and he had reported the Brake issues to BMTC some 12 days back.
What were the BMTC Service dept doing? Sleep over it???
Old 18th October 2006, 14:12   #33
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Hi! kiranpashtakar
i appreciate your views. what u said regarding more no of cars is what i meant.
regarding the markets at factory places they appear and disappear in such orderly fashion within half an hour. further the workers do come out in orderly fashion only. it is only that too many of them come out outsider feels they are disorderly. further 10-20 no's of factory buses do come out on to the road one by one. this indeed causes traffic problem. but one has to live with it. u can not avoiod it. further the sellers make a living out of it. in a country like ours with 100 cr population we should think of all. these guys are not making any demands on the system. they are trying to make a living in honarable way by selling something to people who are willing buy as they find it convenient. one has to observe it for some time to notice the orderlieness in this bussiness. simply it cause inconvenience to us for half an hour we cant demand that it should be discontinued. are we ready to show them alternate livelihood. they do not occupy the road. road appears congetsed bec apart form regular trafic, factory buses + staff trying to board buses make it look like disorder. these are my feelings. no offense meant for anyone.
Old 18th October 2006, 14:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

rkg, I have commuted everyday on that road for 6 years, and let me tell you, I dread doing so around 3 pm, when the shift changes. HAL employees are THE MOST unruly and irresponsible road users. Be it their elections, or just generally, they treat the road like an extension of their office. Wander about, not looking at traffic, laughing, walking 4 abreast in the middle of the road.
Old 18th October 2006, 14:30   #35
DRC
BHPian

rkg, I think it has been taken very emotionally. Please read my post once again. I have not or do not intend to place the blame on either HAL employees or the BMTC drivers. But let me point out there exists a dangerous bug in the system which involve both these and many more factors.
Let me list them out with carriage returns for better readablity.

1. The engineering of the road. Who do you blame? I know the flaw at this location so do many who use this road everyday. I do take every care. I ride a bike as well as drive a car, and take a cab or a rick. Yet neither I or any one who take this road is not void of falling victim of this bad engineering. This accident is just one such incedent. I practically saw the accident spot and the burnt bus. This was what I could infer. Had it been any other vehicle (as I mentioned in the earlier post also) would have met with the same fate.
Imagine yourself driving a 16 tonner, and a rick suddenly cuts your lane because he ran out of his lane. You have no option but to veer right to avoid the rick, I bet you will not even think twice, but then what you see is yourself in the middle of the opposite lane. bumping into oncoming traffic. Now you are out of control, it does not matter now whether you hit the bike or bike hit you. collision bound to happen.
Add to this there is no signage that the road merges, not even centre line marking on the 2 lane road.

2. HAL market. These market phenomenon as you mentioned are age old. When there we not much traffic, not many one ways, economy was weak, traffic moved very slow, but Do we need them NOW? Is it necessary to have a market in the middle of busy road at the cost of traffic snarl, at the cost of road tax payers?. (let me make it clear, this is not the cause of the accident but contributed to large toll). Why are we reluctant to change for the better? Why are the road users expected to oblige an unruly market in the middle of the road?

3. Mob frenzy. Beats me. There is an accident, even if it is due to negligent driving, what is the need o the moment? medical aid Period. This is completely inhuman and I can not find a much cruel word , to describe setting the bus on fire, and blocking Ambulance and fire truck to the scene. Was there a media interview of the one who set the fire anytime. I feel there should be one and should be asked in public why he did so.
I also remember an other incedent, when there was an accident in ORR there was similar situation set the truck involved in accident was set on fire and the mob went on rampage. Mob also noticed a press photographer at the scen and beat him up and destroyed the camera fearing that footage will be used as evidence to book the people involved. This clearly indicated that they know what they are doing is criminal but resort to it because they know they can get away with it citing it as mob fury.
Old 18th October 2006, 15:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pointless and criminal. Those indulging in arson and damaging of public property should be treated like dangerous criminals and in my opinion, fired upon.
And dont your ever try to educate such a mob when this kind off things happen , they will burn you along with the bus .Really i mean it.
Old 18th October 2006, 15:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

Justifying a "market in the middle of the road" saying that it has been going on for ages, is too much to digest.

During the stone age, cavemen used to hit each other's head with clubs.. so can I have a go at someone's head with a cricket bat and justify it ???

Last edited by spadival : 18th October 2006 at 15:19.
Old 18th October 2006, 16:34   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone here who witnessed the accident happening? Everything else is hearsay / only reported. Till then, lets give the driver the benefit of doubt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316
I have not seen any of the BMTC Volvo bus drivers drive rash, ....
If this was a White and Blue BTS, there was nothing new or surprising, they drive to kill people, I have witnessed 2 cold blodded murders by BMTC drivers, so would not be surprised if they would have killeed some 20 instead of 2.
BR316, I would assume that you can substantiate what you are saying here. Also, Have you reported this to the proper authorities?

Last edited by condor : 18th October 2006 at 16:36.
Old 18th October 2006, 16:40   #39
DRC
BHPian

Condor, Not sure about BMTC, but I have seen KSRTC guys being so casual about knocking some one off the road. It appeared to be very playful to them. I have reported it to the authorities too who also seemed very casual.
Old 18th October 2006, 16:43   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

DRC, doesnt need a bus for that. Drive a MUV/ SUV, and it would appear quite playful with these vehicles too..

And the general perception: The bigger vehilce is always at fault. Bigger the vehicle, greater the fault.
Old 18th October 2006, 16:50   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg
Hi! kiranpashtakar
i appreciate your views. what u said regarding more no of cars is what i meant.
regarding the markets at factory places they appear and disappear in such orderly fashion within half an hour. further the workers do come out in orderly fashion only. it is only that too many of them come out outsider feels they are disorderly. further 10-20 no's of factory buses do come out on to the road one by one. this indeed causes traffic problem. but one has to live with it. u can not avoiod it. ETC ETC ETC.
If a company or factory wants such a facility for its employees it should do so on its own grounds and not on public roads. Similarly, it should arrange for embarkation and disembarkation of its employees from the buses INSIDE their facilities and not on the public roads around.

We cannot continue to behave like donkeys just because we've been doing so for ages.

I used to live around that area (okay, Tippasandra)and I know what a pain it is when the shift changes.

HAL employees are not the only ones that want to buy fruits and vegetables - what if every office on MG Road had a similar market outside the building so that people leaving their offices could do their shopping conveniently?
Old 18th October 2006, 19:47   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hey all.Have some pics of the burning bus could I post them here on this thread? MOD's please respond.
Old 18th October 2006, 20:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

guys ,things can go wrong for anyone anytime.we are all driving a machine and among the thosand parts put together any one goes wrong it can be fatal.one point i have to mention here is that volvo is a reliable product for sure .but something would have gone wrong in it and the people there distroyed the evidence at the scene by burning the bus.may be a flat tyre or maybe a deliberate action of any guy could have did this.we have to keep cool in such situations and try saving the lives involved .
Old 18th October 2006, 21:34   #44
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph
you'v said it.
From Times of india: " The police spoke to HAL Employees' Association and brought the situation under control."
See the fate. Police had to negotiate with them to make them stop their criminal activities
In all probabiliy HAL labour unions have very strong political backing. Which ties up the hands of the police. Any police officer who over-enthusiastically upholds the law will no doubt be transferred.
Old 18th October 2006, 22:16   #45
kph
BHPian

Noone with a human heart can burn a babe like that.. I like the BMTC volvos.. Cute looking ones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks