Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Yes 262 35.26%
No 428 57.60%
Maybe 53 7.13%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2012, 01:53   #211
Senior - BHPian

For the first time in many years, no crackers for me this year. Hope to continue this in future too !
Old 28th October 2012, 07:48   #212
Senior - BHPian

Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Absolute blast! this Diwali. Why not celebrate 1 day with crackers? Planning to buy all sort of it, would visit nearby wholesale market for crackers soon.

Those who do not like it, I would say, "Swalpa Adjust Maadi Saar".
Old 28th October 2012, 10:19   #213
Senior - BHPian

No, in fact, plan to travel with the extended family to Ooty during Diwali this year !
Old 28th October 2012, 11:00   #214
Senior - BHPian

Ohhhh Diwali is here again!!! off-late i find Diwali as nothing but a torture, thanks to the uncivilized souls.
Old 28th October 2012, 15:45   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Ohhhh Diwali is here again!!! off-late i find Diwali as nothing but a torture, thanks to the uncivilized souls.
Really! So, those who do not burn crackers are civilized one. Good definition!!! Even during Olympics they inaugurate and close with fire-crackers. So, all of them un-civilized.

I suggest, to refrain use such words such as un-civilized for people who celebrate.

Last edited by anujmishra : 28th October 2012 at 15:48.
Old 28th October 2012, 16:06   #216
ECM
BHPian

I totally agree on your line.Cellphones are more injurous than fire crackers so does that mean who use cellphones are un-civilized?
Quote:
I suggest, to refrain use such words such as un-civilized for people who celebrate.
Old 28th October 2012, 16:54   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
I totally agree on your line.Cellphones are more injurous than fire crackers so does that mean who use cellphones are un-civilized?
Can you point to any scientific study that conclusively points that? I am asking as I work in this industry and have not yet come across anything like that. Our beloved cars are far more injurious to the environment.

I took a conscientious decision not to burn any crackers years back. Celebration for me does not mean adding to noise & air pollution. already the cities are hell to live in here in India given the pollution levels. Why add more of it.

Here in Bangalore its even more important we do not add any more "kachra" (garbage) given the situation with its disposal. I would appeal to all tbhpians to celebrate Diwali but please think about your cities also.

Last edited by joslicx : 28th October 2012 at 16:55.
Old 28th October 2012, 18:14   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
...Here in Bangalore its even more important we do not add any more "kachra" (garbage) given the situation with its disposal..
hehe.. now that's something for a real cause

One more festival and the entire city would be a garbage dump if they don't resolve the problem
Old 28th October 2012, 19:43   #219
Senior - BHPian

Well, firstly i must say i should have elaborated my previous post, i forgot to add "some" before "un-civilized" souls, my mistake

I was just referring to the section of un-civilized people who think they have the permit to burn the world down in those 3 days, for ex in my colony their are kids/elders who go on a rampage. they burn the "banned-loud" fire crackers within the apartment campus, those 3 days is nothing but hell to many and this is the same case in most places.

Again their are many who take all the precautions not to trouble others or themselves, but sadly thanks to the un-civilized lot a vibrant festival has turned into a noise festival.

btw i myself was a big fan of crackers, only that now i dont find it amusing. also i think manufacturing of all crackers should be banned Completely.

Joslicx and null, completely agree, festival of lights has become festival of noise/pollution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Really! So, those who do not burn crackers are civilized one. Good definition!!! Even during Olympics they inaugurate and close with fire-crackers. So, all of them un-civilized.

Last edited by lohithrao : 28th October 2012 at 19:47.
Old 29th October 2012, 11:13   #220
BHPian

We have not been bursting crackers for 2 years now, my kids have also grown up and we agreed that we should not add to the air and noise pollution.
Old 29th October 2012, 11:31   #221
BHPian

Voted a yes for the fire works. No noisy crackers though.

With all due respect to the people who dont do that for air pollution etc., however escpatist it may seem, I don't see the point I keep my kids away from the sheer fun of it once in a year becuase concerned government authorities have yet not able to implement the rules and regulations in place which has taken the "pollute" away to a large extenet from fire works. The recommendations are available and are put in place in many parts of the world. I wouldnt mind paying any price if have a choice to buy those "relatively" environment friendly fire crackers.

Besides, why such concern during Diwali all of a sudden, tell me you dont pull out your car/bike unless it is ABSOLUTELY neccessary to commute? Do you use public transport to go to work everyday ,so what if it is "slightly" inconvenient, to save the earth? If not, I am all for fire crackers once in a year.
Old 29th October 2012, 11:51   #222
BHPian

No, I will not. I will only help my kid brother and other kids in our apartment building

Burn/light/burst any cracker, its bound to create pollution. Air/Sound Pollution on Diwali is inevitable but we can stop or lower the noise pollution atleast.
Old 29th October 2012, 14:54   #223
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I will. I spend around 3000/- bucks on them every year, Though this year will keep it under 2000/-.

I love them, Esp. the one which goes in sky and burst into stars. No loud sounding crackers for me.

Anar and rockets and some sky shots will do

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 29th October 2012, 15:03   #224
BANNED

Normally I have not burnt for the past few years. This year with my grandson (5 months) around I think I will indulge a bit. Also, I have noticed that the amount of smoke released has decreased dramatically over the past few years.
Old 29th October 2012, 15:10   #225
Senior - BHPian

Question : Will you burn crackers this Diwali?
Answer : Of course, lots of them ! I do not believe in relating noise/air pollution to this once-in-a-year festival celebration.

BUT yes, we need to be empathetic with the elderly people in the vicinity and the pets. Both of them can find the louder firecrackers very uncomfortable.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks