Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Yes 262 35.26%
No 428 57.60%
Maybe 53 7.13%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2013, 08:36   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

This page mentions this:

Quote:
Firearms, firecrackers, and jet engines taking off are all louder than 140 dB. If you find yourself near any of these without hearing protection, use your fingers and plug your ears! And at the same time, move away from the noise — even a few extra feet can reduce the loudness significantly.
Moreover, the sound level and the corresponding effect is listed as:

At 91 decibels, your ears can tolerate up to two hours of exposure.
At 100 decibels, damage can occur with 15 minutes of exposure.
At 112 decibels, damage can occur with only one minute of exposure.
At 140 decibels, immediate nerve damage can occur.
Old 15th October 2014, 02:32   #317
Senior - BHPian

With diwali about a week away I though this is the right time to awake this thread.
I remember how in the past I always advocated burning crackes albeit within prescribed laws. But now as time is progressing with me getting into mid twenties and realising real life's responsibilities and other important things I have kind of lost interest in crackers and all. Now I know these things are best suited for kids and with age progression you start hating those loud sounding crackers. Though I am not saying that i will not burn crackers, I will but only couple of sky shots and shells which produces more colors than sound.
Old 16th October 2014, 20:31   #318
Senior - BHPian

Crackers already purchased. Awaiting Diwali day!
Old 16th October 2014, 20:48   #319
BHPian

Buying nothing, burning nothing. I am one of those that wish this tradition of crackers dies and moves to burning oil and candles instead.
Old 16th October 2014, 22:19   #320
BHPian

Decided not to contribute to sound pollution this Diwali. Instead want to opt for crackers that produce lights only. Is it a good idea to visit Hosur or to wait for Standard Fireworks stalls in Bangalore?
Old 16th October 2014, 23:39   #321
BHPian

NO

However, i like the spirit of Diwali and also watch the sky glitter.. But the noise and pollution parts are highly irritating.

Folks, Lets understand one truth very clearly -
'We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children'
- native American proverb
Old 17th October 2014, 00:19   #322
BHPian

I remember bursting crackers till I was 15-16 years old. Then stopped. Used to really buy alot of them and it was fun at that time definitely, no doubt about it.

Haven't burst crackers since then. However, this time I am planning to buy crackers of the same amount which I'd buy for myself and distribute them to some under-priviliged children. The idea is to bring a smile on a few people's faces this Diwali. Not the loud ones, but cracklers, flower pots and other few such, which children can enjoy which they can otherwise not because of their economic condition.

I'd love it, if a few BHP-ians who can put aside some money for bringing smiles to a few people's faces would also adopt the idea. If you are against crackers, then let it be something like clothes or anything which may be of use to those under priviliged children

-Bhargav
Old 17th October 2014, 01:42   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

As usual, no crackers or other fireworks here, but I can't help the temptation to spend a little time on the terrace enjoying the show.

We may put lights in the garden though. Of course, we have left it a bit late, although we've organised festive lights on hire at the last minute before.

Would quite like to buy weather-proof LED light ropes, but no idea how to judge quality etc. I know it is a weeee bit off-topic, but any recommendations for source in Central/South Chennai?
Old 17th October 2014, 03:27   #324
Senior - BHPian

Man I miss the fun of burning Diwali crackers here :(
Old 17th October 2014, 05:50   #325
Senior - BHPian

Doing absolutely nothing - hoping to just be a bum and watch the society folks burn crackers.

We love this whole apartment living concept. Just stand around safely and let others do all the hard work on crackers

I have no personal joy in bursting them any more like BV said - just no enthu for some reason.
Old 17th October 2014, 08:15   #326
Senior - BHPian

Have not and will not burst crackers. Infact get super irritated with all the dhadam dhoom that happens during Diwali.
Old 17th October 2014, 10:30   #327
Senior - BHPian

Making long list of crackers and tomorrow would go and purchase all. This is one festival I would not like to miss at any cost. We are here for pleasure and apart from crackers there are many things affecting our environment. Would visit Hosur near Bangalore for bulk purchase of crackers.

Happy Diwali in Advance!
Old 17th October 2014, 12:37   #328
BHPian

No - will celebrate Diwali with lamps and candles. But burning crackers was stopped when I was 16. I simply cannot stand the noise we Indians seem to love. In fact was planning to move away from the city for a quieter holiday but the Mrs. decided to stay.
Old 17th October 2014, 13:24   #329
Senior - BHPian

I will buy the crackers, not for me but for my 3 year old. May not buy the loud noisy ones, but just some smaller ones. I have burst crackers when I was a kid, and this was one festival I always used to look forward to and I would want my kid also to enjoy the same. I'll probably use public transport for a week to ensure my contribution towards environment after the festival.
Old 17th October 2014, 13:53   #330
BHPian

NO.

Last year there was a huge fire in one of the units which makes all these crackers in TN, and lots of valuable human lives were lost. As a mark of respect to those souls, decided not to burn crackers and we just lit some Diyas in the periphery of our house. Continuing the same this year too.

Appreciate that everybody will not be aligning to "No Crackers" for Diwali, a humble request to all those would be
1) Please do not burn crackers in the terrace of apartments. It creates a lot of noice for other elderly/patients and toddlers living inside the apartment. Choose an open space at the ground level to do the same.
2) If you are burning crackers on a road, make sure vehicles passing through are not affected.
3) Avoid burning crackers late into the night(read after 10:00 pm) and create a disturbance for others.
4) Make sure you dispose all those boxes, burnt crackers, papers properly into the bin and not to leave just like that, where it has been used.
5) Act responsibly and if possible, atleast make the next generation aware about this. I know, it is tough thing to convice a young kid to not to burn crackers, but atleast let us teach them the safe way of doing it.
6) Donate to the needy.

Have a Safe DIWALI folks.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed