Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Yes 262 35.26%
No 428 57.60%
Maybe 53 7.13%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2014, 21:03   #361
Team-BHP Support

Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

@Cliffhanger: Here's my whole point in short. We were great a few thousand years ago, but this is TODAY, not a few thousand years ago. We should be ashamed of how far we've let ourselves fall in that time-frame, and focus on getting back to the top instead of continuously making excuses about how 'this and that' situation caused our downfall from glory. Others started way after us historically, some have suffered much worse than we have, but are much further ahead TODAY. We should learn from what others got right (not necessarily adopt blindly though) instead of having a 'Hah, we were great 5000 years ago while you were living in caves!' attitude.

Not to forget, we need to be inclusive in growth. The beggar on the street is as much an Indian as a multimillionaire living in a posh bungalow. What we do as a nation should consider how it's going to affect/advantage both (not either) of them.

As for you thinking I'm pointing to problems and not solutions, the first step to resolving any issue is knowing what it exactly is, or we'll end up solving nothing or making the issue worse like we seem to be doing in a lot of areas.

We don't lack the brains, but we're severely lacking intent and our motivations are divided to the point of crippling any possible growth. That's what needs to change. Will it change? I for one am certainly hopeful.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th October 2014 at 21:05.
Old 30th October 2014, 22:07   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
@Cliffhanger: Here's my whole point in short.
I appreciate this post. It sounds to be written in positive spirit.

But let me clarify a few things, instead of letting us swept by emotions let us try to look at the problems rationally.

Quote:
We were great a few thousand years ago, but this is TODAY, not a few thousand years ago. We should be ashamed of how far we've let ourselves fall in that time-frame, and focus on getting back to the top instead of continuously making excuses about how 'this and that' situation caused our downfall from glory.
I agree with your intent here, but don't agree with the use of phrase, "We should be ashamed..". I'm Ok if you had written, "I'm ashamed...".

In pointing out a problem of our nation, let us not let our emotion make a statement in a generalized way.

Quote:
Others started way after us historically, some have suffered much worse than we have, but are much further ahead TODAY.
As I said, we could have done better. But comparing ourselves with others is not right. We are much more diverse than any other country in this world and problems faced by each country is different. Remember, we had so many internal problems like caste system, slavery, language divide, etc. It is only now all those problems have been put to rest satisfactorily.

Also let me give you another example of how economic growth alone doesn't denote a wholesome growth of a nation.

Kerala, is the most literate state and one of the well developed states in India. But it has the highest suicide rate and highest liquor consumption in India. Also, Kerala has the highest percentage of people with mental disorders.

The growth of a nation should be inclusive!

Quote:
We should learn from what others got right (not necessarily adopt blindly though)
Agreed.

Quote:
Not to forget, we need to be inclusive in growth. The beggar on the street is as much an Indian as a multimillionaire living in a posh bungalow. What we do as a nation should consider how it's going to affect/advantage both (not either) of them.
Agreed.

Quote:
We don't lack the brains, but we're severely lacking intent and our motivations are divided to the point of crippling any possible growth. That's what needs to change. Will it change? I for one am certainly hopeful.
I too agree,we lack intention and motivation. I state an example for that - I do my engineering in aeronautics with a lot of interest only to find at the end that India is at nascent stage at aeronautics space and job opportunities are next to nil, so I join some software company and be part of the modern slavery to the west, and there goes my motivation and intent.

As I said, we have to work smart, start believing in ourselves and work towards inclusive growth. Reminding ourselves about our past now and then, will give a lot of confidence and positive energy.

We all come from the soil of our Watan and we have the responsibility to create a positive space for our fellow brothers and sisters who belong to our Watan, so let's be a little more careful while writing anything about our Watan.
Old 31st October 2014, 00:01   #363
Team-BHP Support

@Cliffhanger: Avoided quoting your post as it already contains multi-quotes from mine and I just got confused editing.

It's pretty obvious that we're both more or less saying similar things, but do differ on certain points, which I'll gladly chalk up to differences of individual opinion, yours as rightfully valid as mine.

I want a better country to live and prosper in as much as you and anyone else, and we'll hopefully find our way as we move along, for better rather than worse. No ONE person made this mess, and no ONE person will fix it. It's up to all of us and I'll gladly do my bit.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st October 2014 at 00:02.
Old 31st October 2014, 10:34   #364
BHPian

I have consciously stopped bursting crackers because of the pollution it creates. 10 yrs and I am still holding on to my commitment.

However, as a "shagun", we light up just a couple of "fuljhadis" post the puja rituals. Nothing more.

And I am glad few of my friends too have followed suit and are towing my line.
Old 19th October 2015, 11:51   #365
VKM
BHPian

Guys
Don't know if this is the right thread. is there any restriction for carrying fire crackers in one's car. going to virudhunagar this week & thinking of buying some fireworks from sivakasi.
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:04   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKM View Post
Guys
Don't know if this is the right thread. is there any restriction for carrying fire crackers in one's car. going to virudhunagar this week & thinking of buying some fireworks from sivakasi.
Same question. In India there are no standards I think that govern safety of consumer fireworks. Given this is it safe to carry firecrackers in one's car ?
Old 3rd November 2015, 14:42   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssateesh View Post
Given this is it safe to carry firecrackers in one's car?
Generally, yes, I think it is safe --- as long as nobody is smoking! People all over the world buy fireworks and carry home in the car. Yes, you are carrying explosives, but not the sort that detonate with shock or vibration.

And, if your car should happen to catch fire, then the petrol tank is probably a bigger danger than the fireworks. They will just make the resulting burn out prettier!
Old 3rd November 2015, 14:53   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKM View Post
...will just make the resulting burn out prettier!
Bwahaha, that is too much I say

How come no one has posted yet about whether they will burst crackers this year or not. But me thinks many people will leave Bangalore for Diwali so hopefully it will be a quiet time
Old 3rd November 2015, 14:57   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Nah, cracker bursting population will not leave Bangalore . So it will be noisy!
Old 3rd November 2015, 14:58   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssateesh View Post
Same question. In India there are no standards I think that govern safety of consumer fireworks. Given this is it safe to carry firecrackers in one's car ?
How do you think these fireworks reach the shops in the first place?
They travel by road for a long distance from the place of manufacture, usually located several hundred kilometres away, then they are stocked in warehouses for months till the time of sale, stocked in different shops for sale, our own human beings work day and night in such factories, drive trucks carrying these, and man the shops where the crackers are sold. When the crackers can endure all this, without blowing up, I guess, it is safe to carry them in the car. Just make sure that nobody smokes in the car with crackers inside!
If you are worried, ask whether door delivery is available!
Old 3rd November 2015, 15:04   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Kerala, is the most literate state and one of the well developed states in India. But it has the highest suicide rate and highest liquor consumption in India. Also, Kerala has the highest percentage of people with mental disorders.
Off topic:
I read somewhere that this is the case with Japan also - high literacy rate, high suicide rate and high tension / mental disorders.
Old 15th October 2016, 19:23   #372
Senior - BHPian

Diwali 2016 is just 15 days away!

With lot of concern these days regarding pollution levels in Delhi, I believe there should be equal measures that should be taken to curb polluting and loud fireworks.

Though they should not be banned, but a bit of regulation in place will result in much cleaner Diwali!

EDIT - Requesting mods to re-open the poll till festival season.
Old 15th October 2016, 19:58   #373
BHPian

Am Unable to vote, And no, just like the past 5-6 years, I'm not gonna be celebrating this year with fireworks. The amount of Pollution from a simple flower pot is reason enough. The level of pollution in the air is significantly rising year after year. With changing weather patterns(everyone at Chennai, have you noticed that its October and its still Blazing hot!?), increasing smog being another factor, not to mention the ill effects it has on pets and not to forget the alarm on my car . I don't know if its just me, or if anyone else has had their alarm go off, especially during diwali. The amount the money that people spend year after year on fireworks is increasing rapidly. i'd rather save the Vitamin M and splurge it on the car
Old 15th October 2016, 20:38   #374
Senior - BHPian

My answer too is NO. We havent burst crackers for atleast 20+ years in my family. Its about time we stop polluting the world in the name of God. I have similar feelings about Ganesh Visarjan also. All old traditions are now getting twisted and commercialized. Its only since the last two years I am seeing the new funda of Durga Visajan during Dussera ! Is this new or was it always the case ?
Old 15th October 2016, 20:52   #375
Team-BHP Support

Mixed viewpoint here. We took a pledge not to burn crackers in the mid 90s and haven't been doing so since till 2 years back.

However, my five year old loves Anar, Chakri, Pencil, Hunter, Rocket etc so we have been splurging on it for the past 2 years (as a group of families with kids). I am guessing this will continue till she is old enough to take an informed decision.

Happy diwali in advance to everyone
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks