Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Yes 262 35.26%
No 428 57.60%
Maybe 53 7.13%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2016, 18:18   #406
BHPian

Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
I am curious to know what wrong things your kids were taught and how exactly you set their minds right. Please share.
My guess is that he is being sarcastic. Ofcourse, only he can confirm that
Old 2nd November 2016, 18:25   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
I think of all the poor people in Sivakasi and other places who spend hours and weeks rolling your crackers. If we do not buy their work output then they do not get to eat. I do not want such unholy things on my conscience.

So, as in previous years I bought a boot full of bangers and blasted them happily for two days. My kids were taught wrong things in school about the reason for having a cracker free Diwali. I set their minds right and they joined me in the celebrations.

If Shri Ram had come back from Lanka and saw only a diya or two lit up in Ayodhya, he would have been furious.

Our environment faces many challenges. Diwali crackers is NOT one of them.

I strongly urge you not to listen to false and misleading information in the media. They have their own reasons. Wicked reasons.

Some poor laborer in Sivakasi has a bellyful of food because of my (and all other who burn C's) humble efforts.

Cheers.
Your comments seemed sarcastic to me initially, especially the one about your kids being taught wrong things in school...But if they aren't which I hope not then a question for you - would you also use plastic bags that are banned for not confirming to minimum thickness, just because they are being manufactured by poor young laborers? If the answer is yes then may Shri Ram help you!!...

P.S: on second read your comments are definitely sarcastic...I take my words back!!!

Last edited by nitin_80 : 2nd November 2016 at 18:35. Reason: edit
Old 2nd November 2016, 18:59   #408
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I don't know if this is authentic, but this article says otherwise - https://bharathgyanblog.wordpress.co...ali-fireworks/
Articles like this make claim to everything under the sun. But they don't provide any bibliography, without which we can't verify the claim.

In Vijayanagara times, they probably burst fireworks in every festival. For example, Domingo Paes has documented fireworks during Mahanavami festival (aka Dussehra).

In Kerala, they don't celebrate diwali at all. They burst fireworks during onam I think.

Here is the real history of fireworks, from the reputed site of Smithsonian.

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd November 2016 at 19:01.
Old 2nd November 2016, 19:44   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Articles like this make claim to everything under the sun. But they don't provide any bibliography, without which we can't verify the claim.

In Vijayanagara times, they probably burst fireworks in every festival. For example, Domingo Paes has documented fireworks during Mahanavami festival (aka Dussehra).

In Kerala, they don't celebrate diwali at all. They burst fireworks during onam I think.

Here is the real history of fireworks, from the reputed site of Smithsonian.
Yes - that is why I put a disclaimer

In Kerala, we have started celebrating Diwali of late, but earlier it was limited to special poojas and diya decorations in Temples. We burst crackers during Vishu, not Onam.

Thank you for the Smithsonian link.

--Anoop
Old 2nd November 2016, 19:45   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Eddy, I really like what this guy penned & would like to put up here, so removed all offending words. Is this acceptable now?
Attachment 1572917
I appreciate his view but for me it looks like red herring fallacy.

But you aargee, sums it up for me - be responsible.
Old 2nd November 2016, 20:21   #411
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
If Shri Ram had come back from Lanka and saw only a diya or two lit up in Ayodhya, he would have been furious.
This line is completely opposite to everything I have read about Shri Ram.
Old 3rd November 2016, 09:59   #412
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
We burst every year especially when children enjoy bursting them & also watching few adults turning into kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Absolutely nailed it. We celebrate Diwali once in 365 days
Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
All Petrol/Diesel heads here sulking over pollution on Diwali day can read this

I do burst crackers, I enjoy it and the family has a blast. It's my choice. And yes, we do it responsibly (e.g. not late at night etc.).
Old 3rd November 2016, 10:08   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I do burst crackers, I enjoy it and the family has a blast. It's my choice. And yes, we do it responsibly (e.g. not late at night etc.).
Exactly. I enjoy doing it with family and friends. We are not violating any rules. Let there be a blanket ban, we'll honour that as well.
Old 3rd November 2016, 10:14   #414
BHPian

I can see a bit of "I can afford it, I have paid for it, why you thinking of the food I have left behind in my plate" and "We can afford, so we will have as many (4+ for example) kids...what is it to you?" in some of the posts.

If some do, others too might/would follow. We would not be able to achieve much in the name of population control, or ensuring that waste of resources does not happen with that attitude.

In the increased numbers lies the increased chance of injuries (not much talked about this in the posts, but happens every year for sure), property damage, exploitation of labour, pollution (noise too, not just smoke), etc.

If there should be a limit or restriction, all of us should be subject to it, for it to work.

Don't we wish to see a lovely fireworks display like the ones in this video happening in our large cities?
https://www.theguardian.com/world/vi...ireworks-video

Public display would have advantages of it being done in a controlled manner and eliminate many of the ills.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd November 2016 at 12:58. Reason: Do NOT keep talking about your campaign
Old 3rd November 2016, 13:05   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

How do you release obnoxious gases into the atmosphere "responsibly"?

If I am going to be asked why I drive a vehicle that also pollutes the atmosphere then my answer is that the least I can do is use a vehicle that is well maintained and adheres to the pollution laws (btw I use a CNG vehicle). Does anyone even know what materials go into making these crackers that are being made available to us?

Last edited by nitin_80 : 3rd November 2016 at 13:09. Reason: edit
Old 3rd November 2016, 13:49   #416
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
How do you release obnoxious gases into the atmosphere "responsibly"?

If I am going to be asked why I drive a vehicle that also pollutes the atmosphere then my answer is that the least I can do is use a vehicle that is well maintained and adheres to the pollution laws (btw I use a CNG vehicle). Does anyone even know what materials go into making these crackers that are being made available to us?
By Buying fire crackers of reputed brands, which are manufacturing them under license - hoping that govt regulations have taken care to ensure that pollutant levels are under control.
In similar way - when I drive my well maintained vehicle - I hope that pollutant gas levels will be under control. I do not stop exhausting CO/CO2 from my vehicle - just control the level/amount.

Hope that clarifies, please take a less sarcastic view sir.

Regards,
JLS
Old 3rd November 2016, 14:10   #417
BHPian

When I hear about people bashing a one day affair Diwali only for air pollution in our country, I can't help but wonder why cities like Beijing, Shanghai are so polluted. Do they celebrate the Indian festival Diwali each day of the year?

Surely people who write such comments from their mobiles or laptops, which they charge through electricity, produced by burning tonnes and tonnes or COAL will find it cooler to bash instead of trying to research on what really causes air pollution, contribution of each source to it.
Old 3rd November 2016, 14:42   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
By Buying fire crackers of reputed brands, which are manufacturing them under license - hoping that govt regulations have taken care to ensure that pollutant levels are under control.
In similar way - when I drive my well maintained vehicle - I hope that pollutant gas levels will be under control. I do not stop exhausting CO/CO2 from my vehicle - just control the level/amount.

Hope that clarifies, please take a less sarcastic view sir.

Regards,
JLS
If that's the case point taken...Though I think the level of regulations and possibility of tampering/ adulteration in case of crackers would not match that of those imposed in the case of automobiles...

Just to clarify I enjoy watching fireworks too but I was appalled at the level of pollution I observed last Saturday when I went to my terrace at night. I couldn't see the sky and could feel the pollution in every breathe...So just makes me wonder if that's worth the momentary pleasure we and our kids/ family derive....
Old 3rd November 2016, 14:44   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_GHY View Post
When I hear about people bashing a one day affair Diwali only for air pollution in our country, I can't help but wonder why cities like Beijing, Shanghai are so polluted. Do they celebrate the Indian festival Diwali each day of the year?

Surely people who write such comments from their mobiles or laptops, which they charge through electricity, produced by burning tonnes and tonnes or COAL will find it cooler to bash instead of trying to research on what really causes air pollution, contribution of each source to it.
You are comparing something done for pure pleasure with something that's necessary for the development and progress of mankind....There has to be some level of discretion here...

But I think that's enough banter for this Divali...It was for pure argument's sake, nothing against the festivities...
Old 3rd November 2016, 14:53   #420
Senior - BHPian

Post dedicated for all folks concerned about fireworks causing environment pollution

1. Turkmenistan
Will you burn crackers this diwali?-a1.jpg

2. Techa lake Ukraine/Russia
Will you burn crackers this diwali?-a2.jpg

3. Sellafield Nuclear powerplant, UK
Will you burn crackers this diwali?-a3.jpg

4. Kazakastan
Will you burn crackers this diwali?-a4.jpg

Let's forget Fukushima for now

Last edited by aargee : 3rd November 2016 at 15:01.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks