Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Yes 262 35.26%
No 428 57.60%
Maybe 53 7.13%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2016, 18:41   #451
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

At present, New Delhi is beset by a Poisonous Atmosphere post Diwali. Smoke + Fog = Absolute Danger.

Diwali Crackers are but one contributor. The rest of it is the Charcoal fires and the burning crops and all the rest of it, along with Vehicle emissions as well.

Come Pongal in TN and the jollity is amplified by burning tyres and muck in the name of "Bhogi" where the old is supposed to be destroyed to give way to the new.

Absolutely nonsensical stuff, in today's world. All the real "essences" of these festivals have been corrupted for convenience.

And we, our next gen, our pets - everyone pays the price of living and breathing in this poisonous atmosphere!

Regulations and Laws are all very well but are completely useless without ruthless enforcement.
Old 9th October 2017, 11:02   #452
Team-BHP Support

A very happy Diwali to everyone in advance

Just got this news alert, that makes me very happy !

Ahead of Diwali, SC bans fire crackers in Delhi, NCR
Old 9th October 2017, 13:03   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
A very happy Diwali to everyone in advance

Just got this news alert, that makes me very happy !

I've not been a fan of bursting crackers just because of the sudden shock it creates, more to do with noise than air. But at the cost of being reprimanded, I would say that this ban by SC is a stupid move considering there are many more ways pollution is happening than only crackers. If SC is so much concerned about air pollution due to crackers, they should have banned it's production and storage in India rather than just ban it's sale in Delhi-NCR. And since SC is at it, might as well ban a few more things which damage our water resources. Why single out one festival?
Old 9th October 2017, 17:21   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
...Why single out one festival?
Absolutely. There are Industries which are contaminating the nature with all their illegal activities. No one cares.
Old 9th October 2017, 17:31   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

Another decision from SC which will never be implemented. The decision of not having window films has still not been implemented fully. I am sure we would some work against this in the apex court soon
Old 9th October 2017, 20:36   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Why single out one festival?
You are dangerously treading closer to the "why target one religion" argument. So lets argue the merits.

While environmental pollution is one aspect, I am more wary about noise pollution. The whole point of breaking crackers seem to be making the loudest sound in the neighborhood.

I can't stand loud noise. So people who want to live in peace should be left alone.

Already there are guidelines for crackers, the decibels, the time limit etc. But such laws are unimplementable. It is easier to go for a blanket ban.

Banned, it should be.

Last edited by civic-sense : 9th October 2017 at 20:38.
Old 9th October 2017, 20:50   #457
Senior - BHPian

I heard that for people who have already bought crackers, they can still go ahead and burst them ?
I think this is one thing that a govt should do taking people into confidence. They had done that for odd/even rule for motor vehicles. People did support it.
Old 9th October 2017, 21:13   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
While environmental pollution is one aspect, I am more wary about noise pollution. The whole point of breaking crackers seem to be making the loudest sound in the neighborhood.

I can't stand loud noise. So people who want to live in peace should be left alone.

Banned, it should be.
I'm also not a fan of crackers myself just because of the noise they create. When I was in Manipal, we used to have a community fireworks show that was done by professional people. It was so much fun without any ear shattering noise. Not sure if it still goes on. My take on SC judgement is that why to impose this ban when most of the traders have already bought crackers for Diwali, they'll be at tremendous loss. If ban is to be implemented, then it should be a well laid out plan and no knee jerk reaction like most of the times we see, point to note is black film on car glasses.

I've also come across an article wherein the air pollution data was collated and found out to be having a spike on a day post Diwali but peaking out on days when there were no crackers going on. So just blaming crackers for excessive air pollution is a matter of stupidity.
Old 9th October 2017, 21:25   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Banned, it should be.
Yes, it should be. No problem, please ban.

But why ban it merely 10 days before the festival when worth crores of crackers have reached the market. They will be sold anyways - by hook or by crook. If not remain unsold, please think about that trader who's yearly income relies on this trade!

If the intention was to really care about the cracker's pollution, they should have banned it in the month of June. Before the time when Delhi Police advertises in newspaper for traders to apply for license for selling crackers in Delhi for Diwali.

This kind of unprepared, hasty banning of notes, crackers, car sun films will not eradicate the issues. Suppressing things doesn't provides solution to problems.
Old 9th October 2017, 21:39   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

I wont voice my traditional and right wing (in eyes of many) views as this is not a political forum. But as a voting citizen I am very concerned by what seems to me the judiciary arm of the constitution often times exercising the role of the executive arm. When the judicial arm of any democracy starts to make executive decisions it is neither obliged and often not equipped to assess the needs and challenges of all stakeholders and its diktats can come crashing down to the detriment of many innocents. A democracy ruled by politicians answerable once in 5 years is preferred to a democracy ruled by judges answerable to no one.
Old 9th October 2017, 22:02   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I wont voice my traditional and right wing (in eyes of many) views as this is not a political forum. But as a voting citizen I am very concerned by what seems to me the judiciary arm of the constitution often times exercising the role of the executive arm. When the judicial arm of any democracy starts to make executive decisions it is neither obliged and often not equipped to assess the needs and challenges of all stakeholders and its diktats can come crashing down to the detriment of many innocents. A democracy ruled by politicians answerable once in 5 years is preferred to a democracy ruled by judges answerable to no one.
At the risk of being accused of starting a mutual admiration society , it is my turn to compliment you on the clarity of your thought and writing.

My thoughts absolutely mirror yours. I shudder at this spate of judicial hacktivism (that is not a typo!)
Old 9th October 2017, 22:02   #462
BHPian

Irrespective of the decision of the court and the difficulties in implementation of the decisions, everything depends on the attitude of the citizen. As Indians, we are least concerned about the concerns of others, we are so self centred. Be it your driving habits or your behaviour in public places, it shows up. Diwali or any religious festival can be celebrated with minimal disturbance to the neighbourhood or without polluting the environment or making people deaf. Pollution is a serious health hazard, especially in places like Chennai, Mumbai or Delhi. People complain bitterly about it and the same people spend thousands of rupees on crackers, which not only produces environmental pollution, but also noise pollution, that is the typical Indian hypocrisy. As an educated community, let all team BHP members decide that we will not use crackers this Diwali. This may not clear the pollution in Delhi or anywhere, but let US make a beginning and show the way.
As a person, who has travelled extensively in Europe, one thing that appealed to me in all these countries was the consideration people show for the others in the neighbourhood or society. Recently on a visit to Norway, I was told that people do not mow their lawns on Sundays, as the noise will disturb the neighbours. I don't expect Indians to be as considerate as the Norwegians or anyone else, but if a group like team BHP takes an initiative, it will be good. Campaign for a smoke and sound free Diwali .
Old 9th October 2017, 23:42   #463
Senior - BHPian

I will go against the tide and say that banning fire crackers is a myopic decision. Does that mean i am against any regulation? No, I understand not everyone enjoys it and therefore some regulation or rules should be placed.

It could be in any form like either a dedicated place for burning crackers or at given time duration.

Additionally I think they should start regulating the noise levels and amount of explosives that can be put in a cracker and various such regulations which could be a win win for all. And yes this is possible, i have seen fire crackers in US which don't make same level of sound as those back home. Smoke would be there but that can be managed too.
Old 10th October 2017, 00:52   #464
BHPian

Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Diwali is one of the festival our joint family come together to celebrate and crackers being integral over the 3 day festival. I can't imagine Diwali without crackers. As self aware individuals we are slowly moving to less noisy ones n mostly sparkles n phooljadi kinda ones. That is the way it approach should be. To educate people and let people who wants to enjoy be enforced to be in allowed limits.
But banning them all together evokes wrong emotions, specially in current atmosphere. And it smells hypocrisy when the main causes of pollution are not tackled and many such things ignored. How many of us are happy to drive 800cc cars if our lordship enforces? How many of us don't miss those V8/V10 of previous F1 yrs.

Last edited by arun_kun : 10th October 2017 at 01:02.
Old 10th October 2017, 01:49   #465
BHPian

Voted No! It has been years since I touched crackers. Never got interest even in childhood days because of the smoke arising out of them.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks