Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Yes 262 35.26%
No 428 57.60%
Maybe 53 7.13%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2017, 19:23   #481
BHPian

Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

I, personally wouldn't burst crackers on the day of Diwali. BTW, isn't Diwali supposed to be a festival of lights and not festival of crackers? It is we educated Indians have to enlighten the people of India. We people have to make a start at some point of time. We have to bring the change. Don't put the entire blame on the government. Being a citizen of the country, we people also have to help change the country for better and not wash-off our hands from our responsibilities. So, why don't we make a good start this Diwali? IMO, it's one of the auspicious day to make a good beginning.

So, let's celebrate this Diwali with your house illuminated with the 'DIYAS' and not by the sound and air of burnt crackers.

P.S - It's over 6-years since I last burnt crackers and I let it be as is

Wishing all the readers and BHPians, a very happy and safe Diwali (if you plan to burn crackers) well in advance,
Varun
Old 11th October 2017, 10:52   #482
BHPian

I thinking crackers are good. At least the kids will be away from 'smart' phone for that much time. They will be doing something real for few hours.
JohnyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 11:21   #483
Senior - BHPian

I have not burned a single cracker from last 5 years or so.

In my society, we have a "CHILLAR PARTY" of about 20 kids who are in age group between 04-16 and they start a NO NOISY & SMOKEY CRACKERS pledge every year. They go from door-to-door, requesting residents to NOT use crackers. They also make some drawings and banners requesting residents about same and paste them in LIFTS.

We still have some residents who partake in blowing their money but then you cannot force everyone.

Regards-Sonu

Last edited by ariesonu : 11th October 2017 at 11:23.
Old 11th October 2017, 15:57   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
I thinking crackers are good. At least the kids will be away from 'smart' phone for that much time. They will be doing something real for few hours.
There are a thousand 'real' things I want my kid to do, and burning crackers is not one of them. Trust me, your kid would be safer with the phone than the cracker.
Old 11th October 2017, 16:06   #485
Senior - BHPian

I will definitely burn crackers. There are thousand real things I want my kid to do and burning crackers is one of them. The only reason i didnt burn crackers sometime between 2010 and 2014 was because i was just lazy. With my kid, this laziness is destroyed and i am now active and enjoy small things in life.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 17:07   #486
BHPian

I voted no, I like to burn crackers but since last two years we have not burnt any, the no cracker drive deeply influenced my sister and she encouraged(read as forced) all of us not to burn crackers.
This year though, we are going to complete our pollution quota by going on a long road trip in the holidays.
Old 11th October 2017, 17:49   #487
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely no crackers for me or my family this Diwali. I personally stay away from the crackers since the fumes and smoke lead to breathing issues for me. I also think, by not bursting crackers, we are really making, may be a small but still meaningful contribution towards a cleaner environment. There are a lot of people who suffer from breathing disorders including children and the bursting of crackers is only going to make it worse for them these few days.
Old 11th October 2017, 17:51   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I will definitely burn crackers. There are thousand real things I want my kid to do and burning crackers is one of them. The only reason i didnt burn crackers sometime between 2010 and 2014 was because i was just lazy. With my kid, this laziness is destroyed and i am now active and enjoy small things in life.
You sir, have just snatched the words from my mouth.
I am a cracker lover, since I was a child. And I wan't my child to experience this at least once or twice, before some random person decides to ban it across India.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 20:05   #489
Oxy
BHPian

I don't agree with the ban on crackers. It has been our culture for a very long time to burst crackers during Diwali. I don't see how this will help in curbing any pollution when Diwali comes only once a year.

There are other ways to control pollution, such as banning 20 year old trucks from our roads, moving every vehicle to clean fuels like CNG etc. But hey, banning crackers for a day in a year is the easy route and everyone seem to be appreciating the move as well.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 12:00   #490
BHPian

Felt this is relevant to the discussion here.

Will you burn crackers this diwali?-zz-diwali-cartoon.png
JohnyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 13:57   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I don't agree with the ban on crackers. It has been our culture for a very long time to burst crackers during Diwali. I don't see how this will help in curbing any pollution when Diwali comes only once a year.

There are other ways to control pollution, such as banning 20 year old trucks from our roads, moving every vehicle to clean fuels like CNG etc. But hey, banning crackers for a day in a year is the easy route and everyone seem to be appreciating the move as well.
Cultures are always evolving and justifying just on that basis wouldn't be right. Here we are discussing this matter in English, a language which did not exist earlier in our 'culture'. It is the huge quantum of smog that is generated during the Diwali days due to excessive fireworks that such a ban indeed brings relief to the health of a lot of citizens. It may seem like a knee jerk reaction but I support it. Let Diwali be a festival of lights rather than incessant noise pollution.
Old 12th October 2017, 14:45   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post

Its our culture alright, but doesn't mean that time has freezed. Pollution levels have sky rocketed in recent decades. Population has exploded - which means more crackers burnt per square meter area.

If we keep clinging on to our "cultures" - the day is not far we will dig our own graves.

One needs to be in Delhi-NCR the days after Diwali festival. Only such person can appreciate this ban in true sense.

Last edited by DCEite : 12th October 2017 at 14:46.
Old 12th October 2017, 15:31   #493
BHPian

Voted "No".

The amount of pollution that bursting of crackers causes in the already polluted cities is no good for the respiratory health and especially dangerous to infants, old people and people with respiratory diseases. Irrespective of whether there is a ban or not, I do not support bursting crackers as I do not want to add to the noise and air pollution. I also do not understand the concept of "joy in bursting crackers" when it all means a roll of paper with chemicals in it explodes which generates noise and light. I also do not believe in "we-have-it-on-our-culture-so-we-have-to" mindset as I believe in what is practical and makes sense.

Quote:
The various chemicals in fireworks and their effects -

Sulfur dioxide: Causes wheezing and shortness of breath.
Cadmium: Can cause anemia and damage to kidney and also affect the nervous system.
Copper: Irritates respiratory tract
Lead: Affects the nervous system
Magnesium: Can cause metal fume fever
Nitrate: Can cause mental impairment
Nitrite: Can cause skin problems, eye irritation, and respiratory problems in children.
http://www.worldofchemicals.com/medi...tion/7701.html
Old 12th October 2017, 15:37   #494
Senior - BHPian

Regulation is the key. What kind of crackers you want produced, do we really need the loud sounding (bombs ) etc
I think when we are not taking care of other pollution that happens everyday, what is the point in banning these ? That too all of a sudden. It has become a tradition and its not that we dont want to change it. But it should be done in a phased and regulated manner.
Old 12th October 2017, 15:38   #495
BHPian

I live in Delhi NCR and will light fireworks to celebrate the biggest and most important festival, similar to way people and cities use fireworks for celebrating New Year, 4th of July, Cricket and football matches, opening and closing ceremonies of events etc. etc.

I have other ways of lessening the burden of air pollution by not driving a diesel SUV, switching off every light or appliance when not in use, reduce electricity and fuel consumption by setting the A/C to a higher temperature, avoiding air travel when i can travel by train among other things.

I am one of the very few ones in my part of Gurgaon that use the old style coolers in place of AC during the low humidity summer period. Power consumption is a fraction of an AC and it cools almost the whole house, which otherwise would require 3 ACs.

For many people in our apartment complex, a cooler is not only inconvenient, as it requires filling water, getting new grass for it every year, but also as an appliance that people use in small towns and villages and feel it is not suited in a modern society.

Anyway, over the years, we see a lot of campaigns in schools etc. against crackers. So the usage has been going down significantly, and it is visible on Diwali day, based on the number of people who used to to participate a few years ago vs now.

The young generation is mostly uninterested in celebrating diwali with crackers because of the campaigns in schools against crackers.

I expect that over the next 5-10 years, fire crackers on diwali will become minimal in the large metros, but will definitely increase on other occasions like New Year, where the younger generation are more willing to party and live it up.

Views are personal and based on own observations.

rgds
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks