Team-BHP - Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Will you burn crackers this diwali? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/18235-will-you-burn-crackers-diwali-8.html)

IMO, it's a personal choice. Although I haven't burnt crackers since 2004 [Wow, this is gonna be the 7th time. I'm proud of me. :D], I used to be a big cracker-buff before than.

Crackers, unlike vehicles, are a form of pollution that can be avoided. A consumer product bought with the same kind of money will last far longer than crackers. But if its your idea of fun, then so be it. It's not that there's insignificant amount of pollution of other forms.

PS : Since no matter how eco-friendly you feel, you definitely are tempted upon hearing cracker-shots on Diwali night when you're sitting inside, any fun ideas for this Diwali ?

Will I? Yes sure.

I would like to contribute something to the life of those in Sivakasi :)

Not just that, we enjoyed playing with crackers, and why can't our kids have same enjoyment. Ofcourse everything has its limits. Play within it.

Yes I will be lighting the fire crackers this Diwali but with a lot of restrictions. Budget - 2K whatever I get in that, timing not to exceed 9pm in the night, no crackers making ear breaking noises, just the simple ones.

Also the bursting of crackers will be limited only to Laxmi poojan day i.e 5th November (my personal opninion).

This year I will be donating some clothes, some utensils & some sweets to the needy & poor living in the shanties. :thumbs up

Last few years I am getting very few visual effect crackers, for the kids. This is the only festival my family actually celebrates.

Since last year, as my family has moved to Bangalore for my son's treatment, even that has ended. Since last year we just watch others fire up the crackers.

But I won't make any gallant statement about saving the environment. Two of my cars give less than 10kmpl mileage and the other is used purely for offroading. If I was educated properly and drove a Prius/Reva, I would have made a claim for it.:D

^^^ Exactly my point sir; Education has nothing to do with enjoying life's little joy. Its a pure balance & one may or may not choose to enjoy the pleasures. If, I as a Dad, choose not to burst, that might furiate my children & when they grow up, they might burst even more.

Looking at other side, I personally do not wish to see my children craving to see the entire neighbour hood bursting crackers & they're being shunned in the name of pollution.

I don't like to put myself into a situation when my children grows up & asks me if my rides/drives are less polluting than crackers & why were they not being bought, when it was affordable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MX6 (Post 2116644)
So you are off to Gujarat that time is it?
By the way there's a Lavasa meet brewing up. Can you make that?

@mx,

During first week of nov, i will be at my native,
during third week of nov, i will be in MP and Gujrat,
third or fourth week of dec, i will be at some beach place in konkan,
third week of jan, i will be at Tirupati and Banglore.

If time permits, i will be at Lavasa.

I will stop to post any further OT in this lovely thread otherwise someone will burst cracker against OT in the next post.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2116923)
I don't like to put myself into a situation when my children grows up & asks me if my rides/drives are less polluting than crackers & why were they not being bought, when it was affordable.

Very good point,
to be precise, after enjoying all fun at my childhood time, i don't want to be in the situation of ''sow chuhe kha ke billi chali.......ko''.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 2116898)
But I won't make any gallant statement about saving the environment. Two of my cars give less than 10kmpl mileage and the other is used purely for offroading. If I was educated properly and drove a Prius/Reva, I would have made a claim for it.:D

Excellent Samurai. Lets not forget giving such enjoyment to our kids and ourselves. These are small enjoyment and last memory till life. I still cherish my childhood craze for crackers and really like it when I sit and remember those days. I have not stopped and not willing to stop in future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2116923)
Looking at other side, I personally do not wish to see my children craving to see the entire neighbour hood bursting crackers & they're being shunned in the name of pollution.

Exactly, Childrens are also excited about crackers and lets not stop them giving such GYAN. Let them enjoy fullest but with full safety.

These days quite a few Indians try to copy many thing from West including environmental cause. Indians try to imitate US Accent, Try to speak in English forgetting their own mother tongue, try to eat Italian and American food, Try to wear like them. Lets not forget we have very sound culture in our India.

When I see particularly young people of Karnataka and people from south wearing traditional wear dhoti and white shirt(I am not from Karnataka) I really admire them and it makes me feel good. My respect for them increases. Why? Because these people following our own Indian/Traditional culture. Hats off to them. Lets not forget our own festivals and method of celebration with those PAGE 3 propaganda.

I used to be a big time cracker fan a decade back when I passed out of school.

I am now totally against crackers - they pollute, they are all chinese made now which is even worst as god knows what goes inside them.

The biggest no for me is because the animals ( stray dogs ) are frightened and inhale a lot more pollution than us humans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkochar (Post 2117002)
they pollute, they are all chinese made now which is even worst as god knows what goes inside them.

There're so many Indian brands available easily off the shelves. I can remember only 2 of them as I buy only these 2 brands. Standards Fire works (World's largest) & Ayyan crackers.

I haven't seen any Chinese imports on crackers, atleast in South.

Not buying crackers for the fact on Chinese imports is something strange. You can very well encourage by buying the brands above.

I used to burn crackers when I was a kid, at that time there was low /no awareness on noise and air pollution .
But now I am totally against firecrackers as it is quite detrimental to the overall environment. One more change which I observe is that earlier most of the crackers were made in Sivakasi- India but now its all Chinese so one more reason to say NO to crackers.

^ no crackers for me too.

Pollutants in air = health hazard for all the asthma patients. Noise pollution = bad for everyone. My dog hates 'em. I dont want to jeopardize anyone's life in long run and aural and breathing senses in short-term.

Go Green Go Organic Save Thy Earth. Please for the love of God <3 Dont buy crackers.

Happy Diwali everyone :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sn1p3r (Post 2117487)
Go Green Go Organic Save Thy Earth. Please for the love of God <3 Dont buy crackers.

In this part of country, crackers/drums/speakers are used to repel birds from organic farms.

@sn1p3r
what do you do to repel birds in your farm without making any noise pollution?:D

take it easy....

Happy Deepawali to you too.

@Ashish: We do let them eat as much :) no repelling. Birds end up eating the insects. The ecosystem is maintained and we are happy sharing the bounty.

I used to be the most loud cracker head there was but I learnt the hard way as my best friend succumbed to asthma when I was 12. Since then its been 20 years I have been against them.

Our culture never had crackers. As you rightly put it Deepawali is all about light and warmth in heart not making ruckus outside and scaring the goddess Laxmi away :D

Don't know if this has been posted before.
There is a village in Tamilnadu which doesn't burn crackers for diwali,
so that the sound doesn't scare away the winged vistors to a sanctuary nearby.

The Hindu : States / Tamil Nadu : A Deepavali without crackers

No crackers for me. I donno the reason, but my instinct says no to crackers, this is after having enough of them until 6 years ago. Now I just sit on terrace and enjoy the fireworks and try capturing them on my camera :).

Well, I can stay so until I have kids for whom it would be AWESOME FUN! So until such time, its just "watching" deepawali for me!

By the way, are open parking spaces dangerous during diwali? I really don't want to spend my evening wondering what would happen to my car down there!