Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Yes 262 35.26%
No 428 57.60%
Maybe 53 7.13%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2009, 20:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

No firecrackers for me as the money can be spent in other things. I just go on the building terrace and watch the display while drinking chilled Coke
Old 13th October 2009, 20:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

I never spend on firecrackers. I'd rather spend the money on new LPs which will give me much more long lasting aural pleasure .
Old 13th October 2009, 20:42   #33
Senior - BHPian

I will not burn crackers this year too...5th year in a row.I intend to curb on sound pollution and also most importantly the chemical pollution in the atmosphere.
Infact,I have made a circular to all the residents in my flat complex to refrain from bursting crackers.
Old 13th October 2009, 20:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

Haved fired crackers for over 10 years now.

I'd rather spend that money on fuel. LOL

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2009, 20:52   #35
Team-BHP Support

Stopped bursting crackers since 1997. It was not the money, it was a documentary that showed the plight of children working in Sivakasi that had tremendous impact on me.
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2009, 20:54   #36
BANNED

No is my answer, I am against fire crackers
Old 13th October 2009, 23:52   #37
Senior - BHPian

I've picked up 2k worth "in-the-sky" fireworks directly from Sivakasi, this year.
No crackers for me.
Old 14th October 2009, 00:03   #38
Senior - BHPian

No crackers, no fireworks- Since 2000... reasons aplenty
Old 14th October 2009, 01:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

Already bought my share of crackers/fireworks, only once a year we get time to celebrate something together with family and friends. And I do enjoy it and so the others. Would be a lie to say that I don't want to celebrate Diwali.

And yeah, I find it really funny when petrol-heads talk about curbing pollution by stopping one day of firecrackers. I think better bet will be to stop using that smoke wilding power-horse and get a Reva or something for daily commute. Please don't take me as anti-environmentalist, cause if I was one then I already would've removed that cat-con and get some more power out from my car. ;-)
kaushik_s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2009, 02:58   #40
BHPian

I just bought 2 10000 walas. Can't wait.
fiery enzyme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2009, 06:46   #41
Senior - BHPian

Unfotunately, I am away from India and my family is there in Bangalore. I had really grand plan for Diwali. But it seems it is shattered. I asked my family to go ahead with celebrations.

And please who left firecrackers due to pollution, I urge them stop driving, stop honking etc too as these things also contribute to pollution.

It is our festival and we have to celebrate it. Once in a year if we enjoy firecrackers then what is the problem? In all over world there will be Firecrackers Show once or twice a year. They do then it is allright and for entertainment if we do it is pollution???

So guys enjoy and celebrate it with your family and ofcourse with safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
I just bought 2 10000 walas. Can't wait.
Hey man cool!!!, Just post video of your 2 10000 walas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Stopped bursting crackers since 1997. It was not the money, it was a documentary that showed the plight of children working in Sivakasi that had tremendous impact on me.
Hey Eddy, they have to make documentary like this for emotional blackmailing peoples. If they won't add emotional masala into it nobody would watch it. There are many industry in India where kids work. It is not just Shivkasi.

And remember they become experts and they earn quite a good sum of money.

Last edited by anujmishra : 14th October 2009 at 06:53.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2009, 08:20   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
And yeah, I find it really funny when petrol-heads talk about curbing pollution by stopping one day of firecrackers. I think better bet will be to stop using that smoke wilding power-horse and get a Reva or something for daily commute. Please don't take me as anti-environmentalist, cause if I was one then I already would've removed that cat-con and get some more power out from my car. ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
And please who left firecrackers due to pollution, I urge them stop driving, stop honking etc too as these things also contribute to pollution.

It is our festival and we have to celebrate it. Once in a year if we enjoy firecrackers then what is the problem? In all over world there will be Firecrackers Show once or twice a year. They do then it is allright and for entertainment if we do it is pollution???

Hey Eddy, they have to make documentary like this for emotional blackmailing peoples. If they won't add emotional masala into it nobody would watch it. There are many industry in India where kids work. It is not just Shivkasi.

And remember they become experts and they earn quite a good sum of money.
Why getting all defensive? Nobody attacked you guys, we just posted our opinions about fireworks, not the people bursting them.
Old 14th October 2009, 08:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

NO I will not burn any crackers.

Reason - Pollution - Sound & Smoke - very injurious to the health of human beings and animals.

Secondly - the crackers are so harmful for animals ( stray ones ) that I have seen them getting hurt and troubled at Diwali.

I guess lighting Diyas, Sweets, Good Food, Exchanging Gifts, Wearing new clothes, Pooja, and other things are more important than BURNING Crackers which should be banned.

Anyways the good thing is that 2008 last year saw a drop of 60 % from previously in crackers !! That is something !
Old 14th October 2009, 10:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
NO I will not burn any crackers.
Good resolution.
Quote:
Reason - Pollution - Sound & Smoke - very injurious to the health of human beings and animals.
Secondly - the crackers are so harmful for animals ( stray ones ) that I have seen them getting hurt and troubled at Diwali.
Absolutely.
Quote:
I guess lighting Diyas, Sweets, Good Food, Exchanging Gifts, Wearing new clothes, Pooja, and other things are more important than BURNING Crackers which should be banned.
Add helping poor people to also celebrate Diwali and bring some cheer to their families and it'll sound more like E'ID.
Quote:
Anyways the good thing is that 2008 last year saw a drop of 60 % from previously in crackers !! That is something !
Eventually this will reduce sound and noise pollution. Nice to see people becoming aware of civic and environmental responsibilities.
Wish you all a Happy Diwali.
Old 14th October 2009, 10:36   #45
Senior - BHPian

There was a time when I used to blow up 300 king kong loud noise cracker on Diwali.
This was eight years ago. Now stopped that for pollution reason. Add to that : I can spend the same money on computer parts.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks