Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Yes 262 35.26%
No 428 57.60%
Maybe 53 7.13%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2010, 10:12   #76
Senior - BHPian

It might sound strange but the best place to buy crackers is at Hosur. Suggest you stick to the bigger brands like Standard / Kaliswari etc.
Old 24th October 2010, 10:24   #77
AWD
BHPian

Surprised to see so many voting "YES". Not expected of educated people.
Im not going to burn a single cracker as in the past.

Fellows save the planet of environment, noise pollution. On a diff. note it saves money too.

Shun crackers.
Old 24th October 2010, 10:27   #78
Senior - BHPian

@Srikanth - I second you; having experienced it last year. Bought for over Rs 2000 & were unable to burst all of them; we kept bursting them from 5 PM to 9PM on Diwali!!!One would get about 80% discount on the day when the cracker shops are being opened & it would start coming down until Diwali & after which the discounts go upto 90% post Diwali.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Surprised to see so many voting "YES". Not expected of educated people.
Education has got nothing to do with bursting crackers. If I were to stop this, then I should stop using my Rx, I should be upgrading all my vehicles to BS4/5 every year & all the more there are so many shabbily maintained Govt buses that keeps polluting all 365 days, compared to that, the emission from crackers are peanuts.

Quote:
Im not going to burn a single cracker as in the past.
Good, then, ppl like us will have a lot more variety. Thanks to you.

Quote:
Fellows save the planet of environment, noise pollution. On a diff. note it saves money too.
Well, I don't waste electricity, never watch movies in theatre, have a less phone bill, do not spend on shopping lavishly, so all money gained in this is spent into crackers.

Regarding sound pollution, come December & TN will witness one of the highest noise pollution in the name of God & loudspeakers at temples disturbing children from preparing for exams. So crackers are far better to burst.

Quote:
Shun crackers.
Promote safe crackers & avoid any new entrants. Also, the Govt should impose stricter emission norms & safe working place with these industry rather than allowing mannarsami cracker works kind of factory.

Last edited by aargee : 24th October 2010 at 10:37.
Old 24th October 2010, 10:54   #79
Senior - BHPian

For me burning crackers is like burning MONEY which i don't get. We all work so hard to earn it. and then on Diwali we burn in and have fun.
Old 24th October 2010, 11:17   #80
Senior - BHPian

Burning crackers/burning money/burning petrol all are individual choice.

I will definitely have fun with crackers.
Old 24th October 2010, 11:49   #81
BHPian

Well, like many others, I won't burn a single cracker because I hate it. But yes, I love to watch the fireworks in the sky from my gallery Instead of spending money on firecrackers, I will get a good lid like LS2.

P.S : Not sure why, but it seems that my dog loves the firecrackers. I have seen dogs hiding under the beds, but my dog loves to go on the gallery and watch the fireworks.
Old 24th October 2010, 11:49   #82
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Education has got nothing to do with bursting crackers. If I were to stop this, then I should stop using my Rx, I should be upgrading all my vehicles to BS4/5 every year & all the more there are so many shabbily maintained Govt buses that keeps polluting all 365 days, compared to that, the emission from crackers are peanuts.

Good, then, ppl like us will have a lot more variety. Thanks to you.

all money gained in this is spent into crackers.

loudspeakers at temples disturbing children from preparing for exams. So crackers are far better to burst.

Promote safe crackers
"Education" is a far bigger word than you would guess. Its not just what we study in schools/colleges but what we learn from our experiences, offcourse children have far less experience than grown up adults.

Just because someone else does something, you don't always have to follow. All starts from "Yourself", blaming is just part of growing up.

Enjoy all the variety in the World, maybe the coming generation will not have enough pure air to breathe.

I say, promote "NO CRACKERS". Diwali is a festival of lights, its no where said that one has to pollute the environment on Diwali.

Its ironic that in some other thread you are talking of water purifiers. Why do we need them, why spend money on them when for that money one can buy more crackers!. Talk of double standards & its a prime eg.
Ref: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...thread-92.html

Cease of discussion by me on the note: Shun Crackers. Pro lobby is free to discuss it to death!
Old 24th October 2010, 11:53   #83
Senior - BHPian

Its been an eternity since I burnt crackers and i intend to follow the same path. Tried them in my school days and did not find anything entertaining about a thing either bursting or creating different kinds of sounds. Thankfully they never caught my interest & i hope it mellows down a bit around the city (wishful thinking,i know)
Old 24th October 2010, 11:56   #84
Team-BHP Support

Nopes. No crackers for me ever since I was shown a documentary in school. The kids in Sivakasi are really working under hazardous conditions to make these crackers.
Old 24th October 2010, 12:15   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Nopes. No crackers for me ever since I was shown a documentary in school. The kids in Sivakasi are really working under hazardous conditions to make these crackers.

Same here its been more than 15 years for me, BTW which school?

Pramod
Old 24th October 2010, 12:33   #86
Senior - BHPian

AWD is correct but still Fireworks are a necessary pollutants

I am with AWD here.

I had been burning a lot of crackers during childhood. And my fingers, too, at times.
But, for the past 5-6 years, I've not wasted money on crackers. (My personal opinion is that spending on crackers is a waste of money). I would rather prefer to buy something useful for that money that will serve me for a longer time than being an entertainer for just a few minute(crackers).

BUT, I don't say that do not burn crackers at all.

- I do burn a few crackers just for "shagun". Very few.
- I love to watch those lovely fireworks in the sky from my terrace.
- Without any fireworks, the fun of Diwali would be not as much IMO.
Fireworks are a necessary pollutants

It's the over indulgence that I am against. Also, some crackers add more pollution as compared to others. e.g. those pencils that kids hold in hand and they give out sparks.

As far as pollution is concerned, we are contributing our part by driving two wheelers as much as possible (saves fuel, saves environment, saves natural resources and is convenient in bumper2bumper rush hour traffic)

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 24th October 2010 at 12:37.
Old 24th October 2010, 12:47   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Education...up.
I'm aware of all these things; its only a balance that we all strike upon. Someone might smoke cigarattes & may choose not to fire crackers, some might only take bribe but does nothing else, I even had a friend once who was a hard core movie addict & to him, first day first show was everything. No GF, no other habbits, why? He doesn't even utter a bad word. So its all only a balance & its all in the mind as what one chooses to do. Being educated doesn't mean I shouldn't burst cracker OR all the educated gang who drives zigzag on the road. They're little irrelevant & lets not bring education here.

Quote:
Enjoy all the variety in the World, maybe the coming generation will not have enough pure air to breathe.
One of my variety being bursting crackers so I enjoy it. I haven't bursted a single cracker since 96 to 2006. So I guess my balance is striked over there.

Quote:
Its ironic that in some other thread you are talking of water purifiers. Why do we need them, why spend money on them when for that money one can buy more crackers!. Talk of double standards & its a prime eg.
Ref: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...thread-92.html
What's your point AWD? Looks like you're taking too personal on me; cool buddy, I'm only expressing my view on this one & not taking anything not related. Anyway, I was not asking why we need a water purifier. I was only helping Anku select a model on water purifier.

I still don't get what you're trying to say. What's the relation between life's little enjoyment of bursting crackers, water purification & double standards.

I help poor children support their families by buying crackers.

PS - I do not intend to continue this further as I've stated my opinion that I like to burst cracker like every others have stated on their individual opinion. Like I said before, its all a balance of our likes & dislikes & there're nothing crime in bursting crackers & if at all there's a law banning to burst crackers, I'll be the first to adhere.

Last edited by aargee : 24th October 2010 at 12:51.
Old 24th October 2010, 13:01   #88
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
I'm aware of all these things; its only a balance that we all strike upon. Someone might smoke cigarattes & may choose not to fire crackers

I was not asking why we need a water purifier. I was only helping Anku select a model on water purifier.

One side you speak of striking "Balance" & on the other "I don't waste electricity, never watch movies in theatre, have a less phone bill, do not spend on shopping lavishly, so all money gained in this is spent into crackers." You are forgetting the core point here, its the environment that matters not your "money" issues!

What's the need to suggest water purifiers, according to your logic, you should have advised "no need to waste money on water-purifiers, save & burn on crackers, I do the same. Moreover whenever you will drink water from outside, it will cancel the effect of purification & so on.......!"

Good that you help poor children, I guess there are loads of other ways to that too. Did you by any chance think of child labour & complain to the authorities? Drug peddlers have employed innocent children now, do we buy drugs from them in order to help them?

Don't think of your personal interests, think of the humanity at large & our mother Earth & its existence & so of ours. Therefore don't advocate crackers like advocating alcohol/smoking/rash driving is banned on the board. Take a cue!

P.S: See for yourself how awareness works, before my post in the morning, "YES" was leading & "NO" trailing by a fair margin & take a look now. I wish & hope a broader view appears & people at large stop polluting the environment.

Last edited by AWD : 24th October 2010 at 13:05.
Old 24th October 2010, 13:07   #89
Senior - BHPian

We burn crackers 1 day a year and we drive our car 365 days. Crackers are fun and I should never stop burning it.

There are far more industries including food industry which employ kid in hazardous condition. Have we stopped eating food? We burn money in many more activities like increasing power of car and getting less average, spending 1 - 2 lakhs on music system etc etc. Compared to all money burned on those activities burning crackers are minuscule. Lets burn and enjoy for 1 day.
Old 24th October 2010, 13:08   #90
Senior - BHPian

What's with all this argument guys? I see that crackers are already bursting at team-bhp with such posts. Cool down.
There are many ways in which we can contribute towards a greener tomorrow.

One example I gave above is of my own family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
As far as pollution is concerned, we are contributing our part by driving two wheelers as much as possible (saves fuel, saves environment, saves natural resources and is convenient in bumper2bumper rush hour traffic)
Quote:
Oh no! Not a good statement sir.

People do a lot of things to make their innocent kids support their families.
The worst of them being asking them to beg at traffic lights.
I don't say that they have easier alternatives or choices.
No, they have to do this because of lack of choices/alternatives.

But, how to break this vicious cycle?

This is a very delicate subject to discuss. And easier to talk on this than to come up with some ways to support our India. That would require a collective effort of Government+community responsibility.

Raising the education standards gradually over 2 generations + employment. And such families, too, will have to take responsibility to come up and accept the education offers.

As I said, easy to talk but hard to implement.

Buying crackers to support them will promote employment of underage kids and further deprive them of studies etc.

EDIT- Agree with AWD here.
Quote:
Drug peddlers have employed innocent children now, do we buy drugs from them in order to help them?

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 24th October 2010 at 13:18.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed