Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Yes 262 35.26%
No 428 57.60%
Maybe 53 7.13%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2010, 15:55   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
We do let them eat as much no repelling. Birds end up eating the insects. The ecosystem is maintained and we are happy sharing the bounty.
Our culture never had crackers. As you rightly put it Deepawali is all about light and warmth in heart not making ruckus outside and scaring the goddess Laxmi away
Scaring goddess Laxmi............valid point sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
this is after having enough of them until 6 years ago. Now I just sit on terrace and enjoy the fireworks and try capturing them on my camera.
By the way, are open parking spaces dangerous during diwali? I really don't want to spend my evening wondering what would happen to my car down there!
oye Anillll,
Lets imagine the situation after say five years, you and your kids and deepawali and no crackers, is it possible?
Either you have to hear the noise of cracker or unique noise of kids demanding crackers

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 25th October 2010 at 16:00.
Old 25th October 2010, 16:04   #122
BHPian

I was against it. Then I got married! Forced to buy it for family sake. This year again not buying, simply because we would be welcoming new member soon!
Old 25th October 2010, 16:10   #123
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Bombs are a strict NO NO.

Little lamps along the entire perimeter of the house.
Flowerpots, pencils, sparklers and chakras allowed in moderation for a visual treat and to enjoy the beautiful colour displays and to welcome the festival of light.

One thing that we try to follow always is to clean up the public space afterwards and place all the waste in a box, ready for the garbage people to carry off.

My dogs hate the sound of bombs so we will need to take special care of them during the Diwali weekend.
Old 25th October 2010, 17:07   #124
Senior - BHPian

So Sn1p3r, stop driving that car also, it poses the same hazzards ;-)

BTW, Happy Diwali in advance. Running to buy my share of crackers and stuff..
Old 25th October 2010, 17:22   #125
AWD
BHPian

Its sad to see words of wisdom being flouted without a thought.
To know of the pollution Diwali caues, atleast google & see for yourself.

A Festival Lights or Pollution? - Festivals - Diwali
Thoughts-of-an-ordinary-man: Diwali and Pollution
Celebrate an Environmentally Safe Diwali
India Together: Amid festivities, noise and pollution - November 2001
http://www.livemint.com/2009/10/1421...li-please.html

& the list in un-ending, do what pleases!

Last edited by AWD : 25th October 2010 at 17:27.
Old 25th October 2010, 17:34   #126
Senior - BHPian

The way this thread is running is really funny to read from pollution to scaring Goddess Lakshmi away & the irony is Laxmi is one of the famous name of cracker from Standard fire works.

I wonder how many people would say a strict NO to their children when they crave for crackers on seeing children from neighbourhood enjoying themselves with bursting crackers.

Frankly speaking, I, for several years, wasn't bursting crackers for 2 reasons
1. We were not in a position to afford burning money for crackers
2. Later when we could afford, I was the only soul to burst crackers. So I found nothing interesting to light up a cracker & see it turning to flames & noise.

After getting married, Wifey & her family joined along to burst cracker only after which I realized the real enjoyment & I turning literally into a child mode
Old 25th October 2010, 17:39   #127
AWD
BHPian

All I can say is "one needs to rise above personal interests, beliefs, to save the Earth.

Because my neighbor is bursting crackers, its below my dignity not to bust crackers, is the common belief among people.

Tell/educate your children that for their brighter future, crackers should be avoided. Instead of fulfilling their wrong cravings. What if your neighbors kids are addicted, would your kids crave too & would you alleviate their craving!
Old 25th October 2010, 17:43   #128
Senior - BHPian

Here comes Diwali and there goes peace of mind....

As a kid i was a big fan of "crackers" and Diwali was a favorite festival then, as i grew i started to dislike the "crackers" for the reasons mentioned by many!

During diwlai thanks to the pollution, the sinus issue gets bad! moreover really hate the dense smoke sometimes it makes it difficult to even breathe and i dare to think about the plight of animals and birds....

Sound pollution is unbearable, with loud crackers going off at every corner its nothing but a torture to everyone!

Laslty to all automobile lovers, protect your car. last few diwal's had literally become a watchman as my car was parked on road. every time i hear the noise i run and check the car...

i must say this festival was to celebrate the death of a monster but unfortunately many become one!

Last edited by lohithrao : 25th October 2010 at 18:03.
Old 25th October 2010, 18:33   #129
Senior - BHPian

@kaushik_s: Bro, drive is not equivalent of burning crackers else would have done it.

I had my share of the smoke, now that the smog is clear, I can see the road ahead I will revv the engine and enjoy the highway.

My running or gunning is mere 1000 km per month; I am pulling the TBhp average down it seems :(

Happy Blessed Diwali

Cheers!
Old 26th October 2010, 01:53   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
@kaushik_s: Bro, drive is not equivalent of burning crackers else would have done it.
Arre they are same cause both can burn a hole in the pocket, both create smoke and explosions and both brings immense pleasure too, ofcourse at different levels.
Well, I just wanted to pull your leg, so don't mind and have a happy Diwali.

Actually I can feel what the people specially in Cities go through during Diwali. Too much of smoke and noise pollution and it's mostly due the fact that the population density per area is very high and so higher number of crackers or stuffs and more the pollution. But at my home even though we burst crackers or light other things it's not even 10% of what happens in Cities. Little pleasures of living in a village with huge compound (compared to City houses). Just my thoughts.

@AWD, mate, there are many things which are equally(or even more) hazardous and may not be brighter for the kid's future. Many such things we use daily and Diwali just comes once a year. So figure out which is more dangerous..

Last edited by kaushik_s : 26th October 2010 at 02:12.
Old 26th October 2010, 02:25   #131
BHPian

I am not burning crackers this diwali. I am sticking to diyas and sweet`s to lighten up my diwali .
Old 31st October 2010, 19:54   #132
BHPian

I Love fireworks during Deepavali & spend some money on the same for following reason!1) It sustains a whole town of India (sivakasi!)2) It is amazing & wonderful to watch3) The smoke in a low quanity is good germicide!I do not buy noise polluting crackers through...limit myself to sparklers, flower pots.On pollution front...I do my bit of service by conserving fuel/electricity/water besides planting trees & maintaining gardens!
Old 1st November 2010, 11:00   #133
BHPian

Yes for me... It is a personal choice. It is not like wasting money. Some people smoke, some drink, some party. These too can be considered wasting money...so whats wrong with firecrackers. Similarly cant the diyas, candles, bulbs be considered pollution.

Regarding pollution. Use less noisy crackers and pots etc, and use less crackers. We cannot take the joy of bursting crackers from our children. It is their right to enjoy and watching them we too are overjoyed.

It is a once in a year occasion.. like a family gathering. 364 days are still left for charity and providing for the poor.

We can always contribute to charity. Not just only by diverting the fund for the crackers. I cannot take that joy from my family. It is a definite "yes" for me.
Old 1st November 2010, 15:11   #134
BHPian

For couple of years i've not burnt even a single penny on the crackers. Earlier when i was a kid i used to buy as many crackers as i could. But this year would be an exception as this is my first Diwali after marriage, so really looking forward to burning lots of crackers this time.
Old 2nd November 2010, 14:07   #135
BANNED

Yeah, agreed we all need to burst crackers but if we do it in moderation then we get both the pleasure of the occasion and control pollution.

Another point to note is that bursting crackers is not a right, it's a privilege and we should do so responsibly and take care that we don't unduly bother our neighbours or surroundings.

Tell me if blasting your eardrums and inhaling tonnes of SO2 and NO2 is your definition of celebration.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed