Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Yes 262 35.26%
No 428 57.60%
Maybe 53 7.13%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2016, 12:42   #391
BHPian

Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Have a look at an online campaign I started mid last year. As it is against the forum's rules to get into campaigns, I am not posting the link here.

The campaign suggests we move to organised public display of fireworks (like in overseas countries) done in a safe manner in designated areas, with links to injuries and other hazards.

It just would not gather any takers or momentum, despite sharing with friends on email, facebook and whatsapp.

Please go to change dot org and search for Gibikote and find the campaign. Sign and share if you agree.

It is obvious we should evolve and move towards a better life and future for all.
Old 2nd November 2016, 13:05   #392
Senior - BHPian

This is the third year of going green Diwali without any fire crackers bursting. My family was initiator for this initiative and I wholly supported them.

My attempts at campaigning for fire cracker free Diwali met with so much resistance at my housing complex that I decided not take it further. The conversations were getting really acidic. Took a few snaps of the smoke cloud, after burst waste collection pics and put them promptly on the society social media group. Hope some good sense prevails them.
Old 2nd November 2016, 13:32   #393
Senior - BHPian

Check out this piece on connection between crackers & Diwali - https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-co...ers-and-Diwali

Another reason not to buy crackers is it is a totally unregulated market. Manufacturers can print any MRP. So the current situation is you can buy crackers worth Rs 1000/- and pay just Rs 100/- with 90% discount
Old 2nd November 2016, 13:45   #394
BHPian

As the theme of Diwali has always revolved around lights, I wonder how the loud noise making crackers came into picture?!
I for one have been celebrating Diwali non-crackers way since I was 8 years old.
Each cracker I burn will pull me away from my next dream car - Linea T-JET!!
Old 2nd November 2016, 13:57   #395
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani View Post
personally i enjoy lighting crackers although i dont spend too much on it.
Wishing you all a wonderful Deepawali
I think of all the poor people in Sivakasi and other places who spend hours and weeks rolling your crackers. If we do not buy their work output then they do not get to eat. I do not want such unholy things on my conscience.

So, as in previous years I bought a boot full of bangers and blasted them happily for two days. My kids were taught wrong things in school about the reason for having a cracker free Diwali. I set their minds right and they joined me in the celebrations.

If Shri Ram had come back from Lanka and saw only a diya or two lit up in Ayodhya, he would have been furious.

Our environment faces many challenges. Diwali crackers is NOT one of them.

I strongly urge you not to listen to false and misleading information in the media. They have their own reasons. Wicked reasons.

Some poor laborer in Sivakasi has a bellyful of food because of my (and all other who burn C's) humble efforts.

Cheers.
Old 2nd November 2016, 15:24   #396
Senior - BHPian

We burst every year especially when children enjoy bursting them & also watching few adults turning into kids. After all we all earn/make money to spend for our family's happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
I think of all the poor people in Sivakasi...all other who burn C's) humble efforts
Well said; echo your same thoughts here

Last edited by Zappo : 2nd November 2016 at 17:02. Reason: Edited out the offending pic with some avoidable words.
Old 2nd November 2016, 15:31   #397
Team-BHP Support

Three families (essentially three kids) pooled in resources to enjoy some fooljharis, pencils, hunters, chakris and anaars. The leftovers were handed over to some kids from the nearby JJ colony.

All in all, a Diwali well spent
Old 2nd November 2016, 15:36   #398
BHPian

Quote:
My kids were taught wrong things in school about the reason for having a cracker free Diwali. I set their minds right and they joined me in the celebrations.
I am curious to know what wrong things your kids were taught and how exactly you set their minds right. Please share.

Quote:
Our environment faces many challenges. Diwali crackers is NOT one of them.
But these articles state otherwise. What's your take on the following?

Link 1

Link 2

Quote:
Some poor laborer in Sivakasi has a bellyful of food because of my (and all other who burn C's) humble efforts.
How about just walking up to them and donate them some money, clothes and sweets.. these are holy things too..right?

Last edited by Sherlocked : 2nd November 2016 at 15:43.
Old 2nd November 2016, 16:09   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
We burst every year especially when children enjoy bursting them & also watching few adults turning into kids. After all we all earn/make money to spend for our family's happiness

Well said; echo your same thoughts here

And this guy nailed it super right
Absolutely nailed it. We celebrate Diwali once in 365 days and so many self proclaimed GREEN activists go live these days and start unwanted preaching to everyone.

The most hilarious preaching is, animals gets scared and at the same time many animals comfortably adjusted in their stomach and must be planning to visit next barbecue jaunt for celebrating weekend.

We had fun filled Diwali with 4 - 5 hours session of firecrackers and we all in our family absolutely love it.
Old 2nd November 2016, 16:28   #400
BHPian

All Petrol/Diesel heads here sulking over pollution on Diwali day can read this .. http://growingindia.org/2016/10/31/d...s-and-numbers/
Old 2nd November 2016, 17:19   #401
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If Shri Ram had come back from Lanka and saw only a diya or two lit up in Ayodhya, he would have been furious.
Fortunately, the history of fireworks is well documented. And it is less than 100 years old.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-co...it-Narayanan-1
Old 2nd November 2016, 17:44   #402
Senior - BHPian

I for one wish the explosive crackers could be controlled. If i want my ears to ring i'd rather have it happen while at an iron maiden concert.

There is no clear cut line to this debate. One side says pollution other side says one day only na and what about other stuffs that pollute?

As for feeding a laborer in sivakasi, pretty sure it would be the factory owners who get "fed" the most.

Have not burst crackers in a long time and i bear no ill will to those who do [except those who persist on bursting the loud ones even after 10PM]. It's a time for joy and celebration and if by bursting crackers we can forget our worries then why not.

Just remember that we all bear a responsibility to clean up afterwards.
Old 2nd November 2016, 18:02   #403
Senior - BHPian

Personally I have stopped buying crackers from my early teens. Not due to any pollution / green diwali etc., the urge simply wore off.
Now a days dad and uncle buys a handful of crackers (non noisy ones like tubri, charki, fuljhuri etc - pardon my ignorance as I do not know the english terms), and the family celebrates on the terrace of our house.

Personally I feel we should celebrate kali puja/diwali with crackers, but strictly ban with anything noisy as it has adverse effect on pets, kids and elders.

I do not buy the pollution theory - people should concentrate on reducing the yearlong pollution caused by agents which are far more harmful (black smoke from 30 year old shaktiman trucks, unregulated sponge iron mills etc).
Old 2nd November 2016, 18:08   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Absolutely nailed it...our family absolutely love it.
Whatever that guy said is all right except for one fact, there're always some "outstanding" fellows who burst loud crackers post 10 PM & even at midnight causing trouble to entire neighborhood.

Trouble really arises when there're patients in neighborhood & allergic to loud noises. Another problem being irresponsible handling of fireworks such as aiming rockets at specific targets & bursting crackers in front of neighbor's houses & not willing to cleanup. There are the times where responsible celebration comes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
All in all, a Diwali well spent
Eddy, I really like what this guy penned & would like to put up here, so removed all offending words. Is this acceptable now?
Will you burn crackers this diwali?-capture.jpg
Old 2nd November 2016, 18:08   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Fortunately, the history of fireworks is well documented. And it is less than 100 years old.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-co...it-Narayanan-1
I don't know if this is authentic, but this article says otherwise - https://bharathgyanblog.wordpress.co...ali-fireworks/

An excerpt:

Quote:
1.Barbosa, the Italian traveller who came to Vijayanagar, duringthe prosperous reign of Krishnadevaraya, writes in his travelogue about how Deepavali was celebrated in Hampi with fireworks. This clearly shows us that celebration of Deepavali with fireworks has been a tradition of this land for atleast over 500 years.
--Anoop
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks