Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Yes 262 35.26%
No 428 57.60%
Maybe 53 7.13%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2016, 15:51   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Blaming Diwali crackers is really not going to solve anything. Even without crackers theres just too much pollution in all cities in India. It is to do with how badly planned the cities are in the first place. And they are getting more and more congested every day which is making matters worse.

The real solution is to work towards decongestion of the cities seriously. We need to build new cities, plan them better and people need to move. The kind of population a city like Delhi has and the kind of lifestyle people are used to there (vehicles, ACs, food) the air quality is only going to get worse and worse. I mean people run ACs on power backups that burn Diesel incessantly! Does that not cause pollution? Its meaningless really to blame fireworks. Thats just one day show. Pollution problem is a perennial problem 365 days in the year!

Last edited by joslicx : 3rd November 2016 at 16:06.
Old 3rd November 2016, 16:45   #422
Senior - BHPian

But you have to admit crackers are a problem and if we can avoid it, that's one less problem to be bothered about right? Need to start somewhere
Old 3rd November 2016, 17:09   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Post dedicated for all folks concerned about fireworks causing environment pollution
Are you serious ?

Fire works causes environmental pollution - Fact.

Can we reduce its effect - yes, we can.

Is blanket ban of the fire work, the solution for it - Of course not.

Acknowledging the problem and reducing the consumption of fire work is the way forward.

Last edited by ecenandu : 3rd November 2016 at 17:12.
Old 3rd November 2016, 17:45   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Blaming Diwali crackers is really not going to solve anything. Even without crackers theres just too much pollution in all cities in India. It is to do with how badly planned the cities are in the first place. And they are getting more and more congested every day which is making matters worse.

The real solution is to work towards decongestion of the cities seriously. We need to build new cities, plan them better and people need to move. The kind of population a city like Delhi has and the kind of lifestyle people are used to there (vehicles, ACs, food) the air quality is only going to get worse and worse. I mean people run ACs on power backups that burn Diesel incessantly! Does that not cause pollution? Its meaningless really to blame fireworks. Thats just one day show. Pollution problem is a perennial problem 365 days in the year!
Isn't this like saying "There are thousands of leaking pipes that are wasting millions of litres of water everyday...What difference would it make by me leaving the tap open while brushing my teeth? The real solution is to fix the leaks."?
Old 3rd November 2016, 17:52   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
Isn't this like saying "There are thousands of leaking pipes that are wasting millions of litres of water everyday...What difference would it make by me leaving the tap open while brushing my teeth? The real solution is to fix the leaks."?
No its not the same thing as brushing teeth is an everyday activity and diwali crackers are once in a year activity. You still have to grapple with real bad pollution for rest of 364 days of the year. Its still really really bad. So stopping bursting crackers is NOT a meaningful answer in any way. Maybe you feel great about it that people are not bursting crackers (funny that on an automobile forum!!) but air will still bad for breathing if there were no crackers.

I think an analogy will be wasting water playing Holi which we will also be hearing when Holi will come next year.

Last edited by joslicx : 3rd November 2016 at 17:55.
Old 3rd November 2016, 18:18   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Maybe you feel great about it that people are not bursting crackers (funny that on an automobile forum!!) but air will still bad for breathing if there were no crackers.

I think an analogy will be wasting water playing Holi which we will also be hearing when Holi will come next year.
So are you suggesting there is no problem?

Studies has found that there is peak in the release of fine particles and gaseous pollutants into the atmosphere, which may lead to serious air pollution.

Ah, Holi, more than the wastage of water, it is the dyes used which normally are highly saturated polymer and difficult to decompose biologically which causes the environmental pollution.
Old 3rd November 2016, 18:57   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Are you serious ?
Yes I'm always serious; pls Google & check the 5 facts that I've provided, they're hazardous radio active elements that are not just killing, but mutating mankind.

About pollution on Diwali fireworks...I never said its non polluting or did I? And there're hogshead of pollution in different forms that are of greater threats to mankind. Mere stopping of fireworks is negligible percentage that is cured by Mother Nature. Planting more trees makes sense to enjoy fireworks than chopping trees to build highways rather than cribbing on pollution on fireworks.

End of the day my family's happiness is much more important than all the 5 points that I've listed & a lot more not listed. If the pollution from firework is the only one causing greenhouse effect, ozone, acitic rains, dimming & glaciers to melt, makes sense to ban them...globally!!
Old 3rd November 2016, 19:03   #428
Senior - BHPian

A lot has been said about environmentalists not talking about pollution from vehicles.

Just 2 cents:

1. We need to drive vehicles to work, trips etc.
2. We don't need to burst crackers. It's just unnecessary noise and pollution.

Just my thoughts. Every man can have his own opinion and I respect that.
Old 3rd November 2016, 19:17   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I'm always serious;

Mere stopping of fireworks is negligible percentage that is cured by Mother Nature.
Is it? How is it cured?

You know that these fireworks do cause a peak in pollutants, right. Which will have an immediate effect on us.

You acknowledge the pollution, but for you, the happiness it brings outweighs the minimal pollution, according you, that it causes. Right?

How much money do you spend on fire crackers, buddy? I'm not going to judge you buddy nor am I going to say how to spend it better. Just wants to quantify.
Feel free not to answer, if you are not comfortable with sharing the amount.
Old 3rd November 2016, 19:24   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Is it? How is it...if you are not comfortable with sharing the amount.
We spend as we like; for instance, from 1991 to 2005 none; 2006 some 2K or so; 2007 to 2009 none; 2010 some 5K, from Hosur; 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 almost negligible like 1K or so; 2014 some 10K from Hosur; 2015 last I think some 2K from Chennai; this year close to 5K from Chennai. This is all I remember for now.

Clearly you're getting into argumentative mode. All I got to say finally is, as long as fireworks are being sold legally in this country & not banned by Govt & our family wants it, we will keep enjoying...responsibly
Old 3rd November 2016, 19:41   #431
Senior - BHPian

Whether there are other forms of pollution, its only for a few days a year, etc is completely irrelevant.
Bursting firecrackers is one of the UNNECESSARY causes for pollution. Stopping it is not going to cause any harm to anyone.
Old 3rd November 2016, 19:46   #432
sud
BHPian

Quote:
We spend as we like; for instance, from 1991 to 2005 none; 2006 some 2K or so; 2007 to 2009 none; 2010 some 5K, from Hosur; 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 almost negligible like 1K or so; 2014 some 10K from Hosur; 2015 last I think some 2K from Chennai; this year close to 5K from Chennai. This is all I remember for now.

Clearly you're getting into argumentative mode. All I got to say finally is, as long as fireworks are being sold legally in this country & not banned by Govt & our family wants it, we will keep enjoying...responsibly
I totally agree with this point. I personally think that people (in general) advocate for things which are convenient for them to follow. While I am not against advocating but I am against making others feel that they are bad. For some it might be convenient not burning crackers but for some others it is convenient not using a any fuel cars while some others it is convenient to live in a compact home and the list can go on which can cause environmental issue can go on.

In my case I always enjoyed fireworks as a kid and I want my kid to enjoy it as well.
Old 3rd November 2016, 19:47   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That was not my intention. I just want to refute your idea that mother nature heals the pollution from fireworks, thats it.

Btw, there is a supreme court order banning the use of fire crackers from 10 PM to 6 AM. For me, fire crackers are nuisance, but I'm okay with fireworks.

I'm not a big fan of banning, it will not work. The change has to come from the consumer side. The first step in that approach is educate about the effect of fire works.

Since we are a automotive forum. If we can equate the pollution caused by fireworks to car miles.

1 cracker - equivalent of driving for x kilometer etc.

Once we quantify, we can make an educated guess. Moreover, the pollutants are dumped into a confined space, not like a car.
Old 3rd November 2016, 19:47   #434
BHPian

Now that people have come down to costs, a bit of reality check for people driving cars with engines >1L.

Considering one drives a Honda City, for 5000kms a year, with.milegae of 15, at 70 per litre, he or she spends close to 24k in fuel. But had they used a environmentally conscious Alto 800, with an average of 20kmpl, the same yearly run of 5000km can be done in about 17k, which amounts to savings of 7k per year. Now that 7k can be utilized for something green, but how many will do so? Very few, because riding a Honda City and commenting about environmental pollution is much cooler than driving an Alto and bursting crackers or installing a solar heater, planting a tree, or simply donating to some NGO involved in such activities.
Old 3rd November 2016, 19:55   #435
BHPian

Till about 9 PM on Diwali night I was like people have become so understanding as no crackers were burnt or heard in colony. Poof after that all that went down the drain with non stop burst of cancer bombs till 3 AM.

When will people realize that we ourselves are to blame for our own death. Way things are going Pakistan or China would not need to do anything, we will die by our own hand.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks