Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Yes 262 35.26%
No 428 57.60%
Maybe 53 7.13%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2019, 16:06   #616
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Fleeing home this Deepavali!

Mainly because a lot of holidays during the last week of October made it convenient to schedule a holiday at the time, but escaping the noise was a big factor too in planning this trip!

How about a list of places where Diwali is celebrated quietly? Cities and towns are obviously going to be loud and smoke-filled during this time. I've made trips to forest areas in the Western Ghats during Diwali to escape.

Any other places?
Old 7th October 2019, 16:17   #617
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
How about a list of places where Diwali is celebrated quietly? Cities and towns are obviously going to be loud and smoke-filled during this time. I've made trips to forest areas in the Western Ghats during Diwali to escape.

Any other places?
I was in Goa for 10 days during Diwali 2017. Very peaceful, quiet and not crowded.
Old 7th October 2019, 18:12   #618
BHPian

I have stopped bursting fire crackers for almost a decade now! Earlier used to go bonkers but now I prefer to stay indoors and spend some very good quality time with family.
Now that my son is around 9 years, I will probably have to get a few fire crackers for him. Maybe those small ones which do not create a lot of sound and smoke. Add a few phuljharis. That's about it!

The area where I stay though sees a lot of light, sound and smoke show! For almost 5-7 days, every morning, the roads are full of fire cracker left overs, those unburnt papers, all lying there. It is a very sad scene to watch.
Old 7th October 2019, 18:26   #619
Senior - BHPian

Have lost interest in firecrackers and prefer peace. Probably, my age. I spend time in the evening seeing the younger brigade have fun and love to go to the terrace to watch the fireworks.
Old 7th October 2019, 19:58   #620
BHPian

Haven't burnt one in over 12 years and shall continue to stay away from it.

Rather use the money to get a tank full and have a cracker of a road trip with wifey and parents
Old 8th October 2019, 11:22   #621
Distinguished - BHPian

I may be retired from the corporate world at least but there are a lot of fire crackers especially the light types till inside me. And subject to all the restrictive judgements our judicial worthies keep pronouncing I fully intend to celebrate my festival with pride.
Old 9th October 2019, 15:23   #622
BHPian

A big yes albeit on the pretext of my son wanting it. Although i am now past the age of getting up at 3.30 in the morning and having an oil bath and racing to be the first one in the colony to burst a laxmi bomb. I don't know of any other ( not better) way of celebrating it.

Last edited by srini1785 : 9th October 2019 at 15:46.
Old 9th October 2019, 16:56   #623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Haven't burnt one in over 12 years and shall continue to stay away from it.

Rather use the money to get a tank full and have a cracker of a road trip with wifey and parents
Same here. Haven’t burnt crackers since age 16 or so, so that’s 29 years ago! It’s an utter waste of money in my opinion, not to mention that you are leaving the cleanup of your pleasures to the tax - funded civic worker the next day!
Old 10th October 2019, 00:20   #624
BHPian

I found few skyshots left after friends marriage last year. Will see if I get time to burn them this Diwali. BTW I thought will play them on some occasion like India vs Pak match.
Old 19th October 2019, 12:59   #625
BHPian

I will burn crackers for sure - not just this Diwali but for all the Diwalis to come. When an entire town (Sivakasi) works 365 days just for this one day, it's fine to burn crackers without feeling guilty about polluting.

I don't understand the logic of pollution due to crackers when majority of the households have 1 car, 2 motor cycles, 2 ACs & 1 refrigerator if not more. If they don't bat an eye lid thinking about these air pollutions they sure don't deserve to talk about cracker pollution.
Old 19th October 2019, 13:37   #626
Senior - BHPian

Planning to light some fireworks - after a gap of 15 years or more.

Reason - want to try out the 'green' fireworks, which have been put on sale.

Only hope that they are really 'green' and not burn with a green color
Old 19th October 2019, 15:07   #627
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post
... I don't understand the logic of pollution due to crackers when majority of the households have 1 car, 2 motor cycles, 2 ACs & 1 refrigerator if not more. If they don't bat an eye lid thinking about these air pollutions they sure don't deserve to talk about cracker pollution.
Are you a smoker? There is no logical reason why you should not start!

That's the logic.

Not that I am much of an eco-warrior, and I'm not beating you for your choice, but yes, I can see the point why not.
Old 19th October 2019, 18:01   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

Any other places?
Another place is Kerala state. We do not celebrate Diwali except some simple celebration in some temples.
Old 19th October 2019, 18:39   #629
Senior - BHPian

Definitely Yes. My son likes it.
It's a tradition and more so I don't like the intellectuals, SJWs preaching on how one needs to celebrate the festival.

I didn't buy crackers for over a 15years, because I didn't want to. But I can't tolerate when someone trivialises something that is close to our heart.
Old 19th October 2019, 20:01   #630
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But I can't tolerate when someone trivialises something that is close to our heart.
You are biting up the wrong tree. I don't think there is anything trivial about deciding not to burn crackers. Many who have loved to do so might have thought about it and decided not to.

Your decision is up to you.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed